Start by marking “Outcast, Vol. 1: A Darkness Surrounds Him” as Want to Read:
Outcast, Vol. 1: A Darkness Surrounds Him

Outcast, Vol. 1: A Darkness Surrounds Him

(Outcast #1-6)

NEW HORROR SERIES FROM THE WALKING DEAD CREATOR ROBERT KIRKMAN!

Collects OUTCAST BY KIRKMAN & AZACETA #1-6.
Published January 15th 2015 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Outcast, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Kadi P Yes. The writer of the comic, Robert Kirkman, is the creator and co-executive producer of the TV series of the same name.
The tv series is based…more
The tv series is based entirely on the comics.(less)

Patrick
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Kirkman's Walking Dead back in the day, but quit around volume 10 because it got unremittingly bleak. I simply wasn't enjoying it any more.

This series deals with supernatural horror but it's more of a mystery as opposed to nihilistic apocalyptic horror. Still dark at times, but much more my speed.
Anne
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'd never heard of Kirkman's Outcast, but it was another of the Halloween Horror comics my friend (view spoiler) sent to me in a goodie basket, and so far it's one of my top picks!

description

I may have put off reading it because the art is less than appealing, but another friend dubbed it an R-rated Supernatural, so that pretty much bumped it up to the top of my list. And you know what? The kid was kind of right!
Now, I won't go so far as to compare it to Supernat
Jeff
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comix, buddy-reads
Mysterious evil stranger to exorcist priest after being asked his name:

“You know me by many names for I am Legion, but you can call me Ray, or you can call me J, or you can call me Johnny, or you can call me Sonny, or you can call me Junie, or you can call me Junior; now you can call me Ray J, or you can call me RJ, or you can call me RJJ, or you can call me RJJ Jr but you doesn't hasta call me Johnson!".”

*sigh*

How about if I just call you, Mitchell Satan?

Any graphic novel that can make this gu
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

WARNING: EVEN THOUGH NOTHING REALLY HAPPENS IN THIS VOLUME, SOME OF YOU MAY CONSIDER WHAT IS POSTED BELOW TO BE SPOILERS OF ALL THE NON-HAPPENINGS

Oh snap, I just gave something by Robert Kirkman a not-so-great rating. Hold on a sec so I can gear up . . .

Houston commercial photography

Alright. Bring on the pain (and insults to my intelligence).

Is there anyone left on the planet who isn’t aware of who Kirkman is? For the three of you who need a refresher, he’s the g
Raeleen Lemay
Fairly interesting plot, but the art really didn't work for me. If the story and writing had blown my mind I could have overlooked the lacking art, but I just couldn't.
Sean Gibson
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Picked this up on a whim and didn’t know what to expect, but it was solidly entertaining. Who doesn’t love a good possession story? I mean, I love reading about people who have marijuana and…

Wait, what? Different kind of possession story? DEMONIC possession? That’s creepy. Right. Got it.

So, yeah—this was appropriately creepy, and I like that it had a rural, set-in-the-past vibe even though it wasn’t really set in the past…it added to the creepy (everything seems creepier when you’re beset by the
Jan Philipzig
Robert Kirkman has made a name for himself turning a horror sub-genre best known for its superficial shock value and gore, the zombie sub-genre, into something more sprawling, sustainable, and TV-friendly: a character-driven drama... with zombies, yes, but mostly just in the background. In his introduction to the first volume of The Walking Dead, Kirkman writes:
“For me the worst part of every zombie movie is the end. I always want to know what happens next… I just want to keep going… The Walking
Will M.
I received an arc from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

This graphic novel was about exorcism and a guy who needed to conquer his personal demons. Interesting premise but it wasn't executed well. A huge disappointment considering this is a work of Kirkman. Not even close to how good Walking Dead is.

It started off quite good. The introduction seemed to offer a lot but while the novel progressed, it slowly lost its momentum. Nothing happened for the most part of this. A lot of jibber
Sam Quixote
Feb 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Kyle Barnes is an outcast exorcist. He exorcises demons - but he can’t exorcise his own personal demons! Ironyyyyyyy! In this book we’ll meet a kindly reverend who’ll team up with Kyle to rid West Virginia of as many possessed people (which turns out to be quite a few!) as they can in between moping sessions. Settle in, folks, this is volume one of probably several dozen if his other titles Invincible and The Walking Dead are anything to go by, because Kirkman’s more interested in setting up lon ...more
Cheese
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've never read a Kirkman book before and I really don't like zombies, they bore me.

I've seen the reviews on this from other members and I can see why it doesn't strike a chord with some, but IMO it was great. It just really worked for me.

Everyone thinks he beat his wife and kids because his mum beat him for years, but that's not the truth! There's something more sinister behind it and Kyle starts to understand this after years and years of horrible changes in the people around him.

The artwork
Greg
Feb 23, 2015 rated it liked it
I read a handful of Walking Dead volumes, and I’ve never really loved them. It’s difficult to put my finger on what it is that just leaves me feeling kind of eh about them.

When I first saw this volume of Robert Kirkman’s new venture I was excited. Not because it was Robert Kirkman but because for a moment I thought it was a new volume of Revival. The cover really looks like it could be in the same world as that interesting take on what would happen if the dead came back to life, but not as mons
David Schaafsma
Apr 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
A set-up volume about what appears to be a long series about demon possession in a small town. Kyle, our (tortured) hero is the "outcast" who is good at exorcism. He teams up with preacher Anderson who also is good at exorcism, though in the more traditional religious way. Kyle and the preacher have their own "demons" from the past to work on. Kyle is estranged from his wife and daughter, for instance. Nothing surprising happens, really, but it's good, solid.

I'm not a big fan of Kirkman's writin
Crystal
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another reread
just because it was at the library and I like it
Ashley Brooks
May 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Well that was....dark.
Jeannette Nikolova
Jun 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Also available on the WondrousBooks blog.

Hmm...

Hmmmmm...

I read this a couple of days ago and if I had rated this then, it might have gotten 4 stars. Writing the review now, I feel further away from the story and not that impressed by the memory of it.

I have had this for almost half a year, but my main motivation to finally read it, was the fact that I saw the TV show trailer and it looked very promising. I am still looking forward to the show and I do plan to continue reading this when the nex
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)
You can find my review on my blog by clicking here.

This is actually the first series I’ve started that’s written by Robert Kirkman. Don’t hurt me! I’m up to date with the Walking Dead TV show (who’s ready for season 7’s big reveal?) and I do plan on checking out the very comics that brought the show to life (in some twisted way). While Robert Kirkman is a tour de force in the comic sphere, it’s not far-fetched to wonder if he can continue strive in the business by delivering new and exciting sto
Ryan Michael
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very strong 4 stars here. I love the way the art is simple but also shifts color schemes so well depending on the mood of the scene. The story is intriguing and I like how open it seems to go in various directions. I am excited to get into volume 2 soon and see what else Kirkman has in store.
11811 (Eleven)
Feb 18, 2015 rated it liked it
I was excited when I started, disappointed by the time I finished. Not bad, not great, not recommended. There are better choices available in the graphic novel market. Maybe it's better if going in with lower expectations. I have no plans to read volume two.
Steve
I received this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

3.5 stars.

Here's the blurb: "Kyle Barnes has been plagued by demonic possession all his life and now he needs answers. Unfortunately, what he uncovers along the way could bring about the end of life on Earth as we know it."

This first volume was a good introduction, but I'm left with a whole lot more questions than answers, and there wasn't anything revealed that seemed to threaten the end of life on Earth.

The artwork was good, a
Gavin
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book is lame.
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.5 Stars
This is a enjoyable possession story with some fairly creepy scenes. At times, I found the narrative a bit confusing. The colour palette was quite nice, but I did not personally love the other aspects of the artwork.
Kate
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Kyle is a loner, estranged from his wife and daughter, despised by people he knows, only his sister seems to be concerned for his welfare. When the town preacher calls upon him to assist him in an exorcism, Kyle's past must be confronted as this won't be the first time he has performed an exorcism having also seen his mother, wife and child succumb to possession. Kyle battles not only with the demon fro
Jesse A
Apr 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Ok, if not totally satisfying start.
Merve Akıncı
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dizisinde olmayan birçok detay vardı. Aman Allah'ım, o çizimler... Efsane çizimler! Bayıldım.
Christopher
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Have you noticed how a lot of series over the past decade or two, regardless of format, do this thing where they start off having to tell you about the lives of a ton of people? About their past, and how that past has turned them into the terrible people they are today? And somehow we get a glimpse into each of them being an asshole, as if people are always terrible, and this is the series brave enough to be honest about it? We're finally getting a 'real' story, as it were?

This is one of those.
João Barradas
Desde a maçã de Eva, a maldade foi implementada no âmago do ser humano e muitos foram aqueles que o tentaram confessar e pagar a punição devida. Quando tal não é possível, opta-se por exorcizar essas trevas para retomar a luminosidade dos dias primordiais.
Ultrapassados os arcaicos ritos de Bíblia em punho e água benta, Kyle descobre um fabuloso dom: o toque da sua mão consegue debelar os demónios alheios. Contudo, ironicamente não consegue combater os próprios que amarguraram o seu passado e fo
Nelson Zagalo
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic_novel
Definitivamente gosto muito de Robert Kirkman, da forma como ele desenha a narrativa no sentido de nos prender aos personagens, de nos levar a compreender e querer saber mais sobre os seus conflitos internos. Ajuda imenso o modo como ele trabalha as inserções de grandes planos, em ponto pequeno, espalhadas pelas pranchas, já que ampliam a emocionalidade do fluxo narrativo.

Contudo, e apesar de interessante, este "Outcast" não traz nada que já não tivesse visto em "The Walking Dead", é apenas mai
Donovan
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I'm just writhing with excitement over this one.

How is it that Kirkman takes well worn tropes and somehow turns them into something new and fresh? First zombies, now demonic possession. I burned through this in about an hour. Everything is quite stark and spare much like Walking Dead, and the artwork is just perfect. It's dark, crawls under your skin. Can't wait for Volume 2.
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

No this isn't the best and the brightest. This story has been done approx 16 gajillion times before. But you know what? At least I could effing follow the effing story. Unlike some *cough*Clean Room*cough*.

Kirkman, please add a few more women who don't get shoved in refrigerators and we'll be good. Also don't make me hate Kyle like I do Rick Grimes, mmmmkay?
Emily
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it
An interesting start to this series, but I wasn't a fan of the art. It was stiff and confusing at times. I'm interested enough to read the next volume, but depending on how that one goes I may or may not continue the series.
  • Nailbiter, Vol. 3: Blood in the Water
  • Revival, Vol. 6: Thy Loyal Sons & Daughters
  • Clean Room, Vol. 2: Exile
  • The Woods, Vol. 3: New London
  • Manifest Destiny, Vol. 1: Flora & Fauna
  • Wytches, Volume 1
  • Southern Cross, Vol. 1
  • Fatale, Vol. 2: The Devil's Business (Fatale, #2)
  • Harrow County, Vol. 1: Countless Haints
  • Baltimore, Vol. 4: Chapel of Bones
  • 28 Days Later, Vol. 6: Homecoming

Outcast (1 - 10 of 49 books)
  • Outcast #1