Start by marking “Hurricane Song” as Want to Read:

Hurricane Song

Hurricane Katrina is raging and you are inside the Superdome! Miles has only lived in New Orleans with his dad, a musician, for a few months when Hurricane Katrina hits. Father and son haven't exactly been getting along. Miles is obsessed with football; his dad's passion is jazz. But when the storm strikes, they're forced to work through their differences to survive a tort ...more
Published June 12th 2008 by Viking Juvenile

Scott
Dec 10, 2008 rated it liked it
I can say this was a bad book. It had me quite intrigued. But Volponi's writing is bad. Really bad. He's out of touch 15 years ago. Kids just don't think, talk, or act like this. Still, his story had a lot to like. The action and devastation surrounding the Katrina survivors felt real and horrifying rather than manipulative. But Volponi did few services to his own story. The dialogue was goofy and forced. And many important events were rushed. Like the stand-off with the gang in the Superdome. W ...more
Charles
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This is a young adult book and I'm far past the age it is recommended for, but I enjoyed it and found it a fast read. I lived in the New Orleans area when Hurricane Katrina hit, but we were able to get out before the storm and did not directly experience any of the horror in the city, except via TV. We did see the devastation when we returned. I'm also not black and this book explores the experiences of blacks, mostly poor ones, who either did not or could not leave the city and ended up taking ...more
Becky
Jun 10, 2008 rated it liked it

Volponi, Paul. 2008. Hurricane Song: A Novel of New Orleans.

"Miles has only been living with his musician father in New Orleans for two months when Hurricane Katrina hits--and they haven't really been getting along. His dad lives for jazz, while Miles's first love is football. But father and son must set aside their differences when they seek refuge in the crowded Superdome."

Need I say more? The above quote from the jacket says it all. Hurricane Katrina fictionalized through an emotional father-
★Codie Abibliophobic ★
This book was alright it's not a book that I would recommend to a new reader; because of the style of Paul Volponi's writing and this was not a book that flows so it wasn’t that easy to read. I found the book good at some parts and then annoying. I liked this book but I didn't love it.
Matti Karjalainen
Paul Volponin "Hurricane Song" (Viking Juvenile, 2008) on nuorille aikuisille suunnattu romaani, joka kertoo afroamerikkalaisesta nuorukaisesta ja tämän dramaattisista kokemuksista hurrikaani Katrinan iskiessä New Orleansiin elokuussa 2005. Lisäksi kirja käsittelee isän ja pojan ongelmallista suhdetta ja yhteiskunnallisia ongelmia, jotka kärjistyivät luonnonkatastrofin koittaessa.

Volponi kuvaa onnistuneesti tilapäissuojana toimineessa Superdome-hallissa koettua inhimillistä hätää ja kärsimystä,
Emma Thibodeau
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked it a lot. I kind of forgot about Hurricane Katrina, so this book told about and how they stayed in the Football stadium. It showed me how he and his dad got closer, and how his dad taught him to stay strong even in harsh times like Hurricane Katrina
Ethan Taynor
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
really good book but would not recommend it to a middle schooler and younger. There is a lot of violent language
Adam K
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I thought this book was okay. It was a bit repetitive, and the author could have used more describing words.

Miles and his dad, Pop, live in New Orleans. Miles dad loves jazz, and Miles loves football. When they hear that a hurricane is coming, they do not want to leave because the bar where Pop plays is where he works. They decide to go into the Superdome, to get away from the storm. They stay there for 3 days, and it is terrible. People steal other food, money, and even the toilet paper in the
John-paul Dean
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thought that the book Hurricane Song by Paul Volponi was a great book to read. I don't normally find books that appeal to me but there is just something about the books that Paul Volponi writes that makes me want to keep reading them. The story takes place in New Orleans, Louisiana before hurricane Katrina. Miles, his dad and his uncle are all together when the storm is about to make land fall they all go to a hotel were they believe they will be safe. The men change their minds and go to Supe ...more
Erin
Aug 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
16 year old Miles goes to live with his jazz musician father in New Orleans after his mother get remarried and has an apartment full of kids. Miles and his father have an uneasy relationship that is tested when Hurricane Katrina strikes and they, along with Miles' uncle, must flee to the Superdome during the storm. What follows is a gritty and realistic looks at what happened during those days that so many people were trapped in the Superdome.

This is great (and relatively short) book that pulls
The Loft
As Hurricane Ike, following Gustav and Hannah, continues to unleash its fury over the Gulf Coast, the devastation wrought by hurricanes is front page news for some, and a life threatening reality for others. In his young adult novel, Hurricane Song (Viking, 2008), Paul Volponi takes the reader to New Orleans during and immediately following Hurricane Katrina.

Sixteen-year-old Miles decides to move to New Orleans to live with his jazz musician father after his mother remarries in Chicago. Miles j
Claudia
Dec 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all readers
Shelves: ya-books
I was impressed with Volponi's Black and White, and was excited to hear him talk so passionately about young adults at a recent conference, especially the troubled ones he works with. This book's central event it Hurricane Katrina, whose blistering winds created the 'song' of the title. Miles is new to New Orleans, new in his father's life. Then their evacuation of N.O. is stopped and the two, along with Miles's uncle, end up in the Superdome. Volponi's descriptions of the inhuman treatment of t ...more
Ashleigh Rose
3.2ish stars. There are some things I really love about this book. Hurricane Song tells the story of a young black high school boy who has just moved to New Orleans to live with his dad. Katrina hits not long after he arrives and a majority of the book tells the story of their time and the horrors they endure while stranded in the Superdome. I do think that the story lacks depth and every time I thought it was going to delve into some serious issue of poverty or race or government accountability ...more
7706nkera
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Hurricane song was an amazing book! It's about a kid named Miles and he's stuck in the super dome with his father and friends/family. They face horrible issues in the superdome during hurricane Katrina.
I loved how the author described Miles' and Pops relationship through out the book. In the beginning of the book Miles disliked how his father was putting music before him. In the super dome he felt that his father only liked him when he was playing his drums. I loved how the author referred to t
GRPLTeens Grand Rapids Public Library
Miles has decided to live with his father in New Orleans because his mother's house in Chicago is very crowded. Miles is looking forward to trying out for the football team. Miles thinks that his dad loves playing jazz more than him. Hurricane Katrina hits and Miles, his dad, and uncle have to seek refuge in the Superdome. Volponi's descriptions let you experience what living in the Superdome was like. Miles and his dad learn what really matters.

I listened to the Brilliance Audio production wit
Paula
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book tugged at a lot of emotions for me. While my experience with flooding was not as devastating as that relived in this book, it stirred many feelings and memories. Trying to look out for yourself but also binding with the community to help others hit home. Even during and after the rebuild, even when places are better and stronger, the memories of that experience live on. Sometimes tears are remembering the fear and worry and sometimes they are remembering the strength of living through ...more
7706Evan
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was very depressing. It gave you clear ways of what it was like inside the Superdome during Hurricane Katrina. The characters were well written, and had perfect traits. There were many themes in this book which were part of the story building. I would definitely read more of Paul Volponi's books. I reccommend this book to everyone.
7706cloe
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
this book was amazing!
its about a boy named miles who has issues with his dad. however, hurricane katrina hits and they find themselves in the superdome where they bond.
i loved this book because it was suspenseful and exciting. the relationship miles develops with his dad is touching to many people.
i would recommend this book to people who enjoy books on natural disasters.
Holly
Feb 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
So far, this is the best book about Hurricane Katrina for teens. A realistic account of one teen's experience trying to escape New Orleans, ending up in the Superdome, and losing his home. And like Katrina, the book did not end "happy," but it did end with hope. A must read.
7709joselyn
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is great . This book gives off so much emotions,you feel love, hate ,fear,and anger. This book makes you open up your eyes and cherish every moment you have with your family.
Nicholas
its a really decent book and I can relate to it because I like to here about disaster stories.
Devon703
Mar 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 7th-grade-books
This book was Ok. We read it as a read aloud, and i found that there were a lot metaphors and similes which added great detail. but i found that to get a little annoying.
Linda Lipko
I've read many books regarding New Orleans and Hurricane Katrina.

This is one I cannot recommend!
Nathalie
I bought this book for my high school students after having just gone through Hurricane Michael, I will probably read it to my students and have them compare it to their own experiences. The book was interesting, but it doesn’t rank above a four in my opinion. The characters were shallow. I couldn’t find myself liking any of them. Still, it’s a story I know my students will identify with.
Meagan Ehline
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book gave me a glimpse into the days that followed Hurricane Katrina and the struggles between a dad and a son, who had a broken relationship. The bond of father and son is strong and can get you through tough times as long as you lean into each other.
Mike Dragomir
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very powerful book, really portrayed the events during Hurricane Katrina, more specifically, inside the Superdome. I didn't even know it was so bad in the Superdome during the hurricane until I read this book! Anyways, I loved this book, even if it was a bit on the short side.
Hhslibrary
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This novel was gripping and works as a period piece (how many students know what happened in New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina?) and as a survival story. The entire book takes place over just a few days and readers quickly become attached to Miles and his father as they struggle to survive not only the flood but inside the Superdome. The details are vivid and disturbing and the sense of injustice is palpable. A great read!
Mael
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. Miles, a black son, experiences an enormous and destructive hurricane. Him and his father, Pop, were refugees in the Super Dome. The hurricane helped their relationship but also destroyed peoples homes...

Our teacher, Miss Woods, read it so well! When there was a sad moment, Miss Woods mad it feel sad. I felt as if I was in the story!

Thank you Miss Woods for showing me this wonderful book!
Rachel (rachandbooks)
This book has a lot going on within it: gang fights, dead bodies, looting, and the list goes on. This is a story about Miles, a teenager and dedicated football player, who just moved to New Orleans to live with his father, a jazz musician. It isn't long before tragedy hits the city, as a a hurricane named Katrina that forces them to leave their home in search of refuge in the Superdome. This is essentially a book about survival. While in the Superdome, they deal with horrible living conditions, ...more
Grasshopper
Hurricane Song
In the book Hurricane Song Miles the main character moves from Chicago to Louisiana to live with his dad who is a Jazz player. Miles was on the varsity football team in Chicago and when he moved down to Louisiana with his dad his dad wanted him to get into music like him. POP Comes home one night and says they are going to meet up with Miles uncle to go to the superdome because Hurricane Katrina. Before they packed up Miles dad gave his a drum to take with them to the superdome.
Hurricane Katrina hitting New Orleans 1 1 Mar 23, 2018 07:04AM