Start by marking “Bright from the Start: The Simple Science Backed Way to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind from Birth to Age 3” as Want to Read:

A cutting-edge handbook for parents from a pioneer in infant brain development

Should you really read to your baby? Can teaching a baby sign language boost IQ? Should you pipe classical music into the nursery? Dr. Stamm translates the latest neuroscience findings into clear explanations and practical suggestions, demonstrating the importance of the simple ways you interact w
Published August 28th 2008 by Avery Pub Group (first published August 2nd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Bright from the Start, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bright from the Start

Liz
May 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mom-helps
Due to the high ratings on Amazon, I think I wanted to not like this book. Well, four stars proves I lost that battle. I usually don't understand anything that is "science backed" but somehow Stamm explains the science of the brain so clearly I didn't want to skim over any of it. I read the first 100 pages like they didn't really matter (in about 30 minutes). But once I returned to the book (the very next day) I decided to start at page 1 and actually read through the whole thing. I'm really gla ...more
Alexis Mascitti
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a pediatrician, I'm always on the look out for useful, practical guide books for motivated parents. This book makes neuroscientific and developmental concepts practical, which is sadly a rarity in the genre. In reading some of the other reviewers opinions, I noticed the frequency of "But I already knew this stuff!" and "I would do that anyway!" Well, yes, and that's a good thing - hopefully, what this book does is teach you the why for all those activities that seem to come so naturally, so t ...more
Kathy
Jan 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book I picked up soon after I gave birth to my daughter. It has since become my 'parenting bible'.

It gave me such an appreciation for the enormity and extreme inherent intelligence baby earthlings are born with.

The book provides practical examples of how to's, gives first hand experiences of raising physically and mentally challenged children and in turn outlines how these findings are as applicable to children blessed with no such disabilities.

A fascinat
Resh
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: soul-food-r
Written by a pioneer in infant brain development and also a mom, this book is so far one of the best I've read on the topic. I am not assuring you will find any breakthrough scientific discovery here, but it helps in reinforcing basic positive parenting skills with a scientific perspective. The book focuses on how to nurture infants from 0 to 3 years to help them develop their brains and lay down strong foundations for future growth. Early experiences are literally brain-shaping, and the author ...more
Julie
Aug 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jill Stamm's _Bright from the Start_ is excellent in so many unexpected ways. It operates in the same vein as John Medina's _Brain Rules for Baby_ -- synthesizing vast quantities of scientific research into simple precepts and offering suggestions for how parents can use that information to help their children's development. However, Stamm does not cover the same ground as Medina. They have chosen slightly different areas to emphasize, they offer significantly different kinds of help to parents, ...more
minhhai
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english, non-fictions
In short, this is the best book on nurturing infants/toddlers I have read so far: clear, focused, scientifically sound and practical.

The book focuses on how to interact with infants/toddlers from birth to 3 years old to help them develop healthy brains and lay down foundations for later developments (in school, etc), based on research on human brains. The authors advocate early support focusing on 3 main objectives: Attention (help the kids to concentrate deeply), Bonding (emotional
Ngaire
Feb 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: babies
Probably I shouldn't have read this right after reading Developing Young Minds and The Scientist in the Crib because it had a lot of similar material. Still worth a read though, and I really appreciated Stamm's willingness to talk about her experiences raising a special needs child and how this forced her to think outside the box in terms of what would stimulate her daughter and help her learn basic concepts.

Stamm emphasizes three core areas of development that children need in order to thrive
Leah
Jun 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't really know if I learned anything new, but this book did a good job reinforcing some basic parenting skills from a scientific perspective.

Likes: Easy to understand. While the science is there, it's not too hard (or boring) to follow.
- I really liked the personal anecdotes about her own daughters. It's nice to hear from the mom and researcher.
- The suggestions she has for simple activities to work on you kid's attention, bond and communication ( ABC's).
- She
Kristyn
The best thing about this book is that the author dispels myths and doesn't propagate the hype for a lot of consumer products. She uses scientific evidence to discuss why certain things encourage the brain to develop. Most of her suggestions are common sense, but I like someone spelling it out because not everything comes naturally to me. This book may also reassure parents that they're already (or can simply start) encouraging their child's development.
Molly
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Great introduction to child development for new parents. The book accomplished what it promised it would for me: it separated fact from fiction. I appreciated that the author made suggestions for activities that any parent of any means could provide, not high-cost (financially or otherwise), radical recommendations. I also liked her focus on what parents should be doing at every age for their child, vs what a child "should" be able to do at a particular age.
kathryn
Jun 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baby
As a teacher and a mom-to-be, I think this book is right on with its tone about child development. The writer had both a "normal" daughter and one with cerebral palsey, so she was particularly sensitive to developmental milestones, encouraging parents to focus on what they can do rather what the child "should" be doing. I highly recommend this one.
Sarah Sullivan
I read this as part of a teacher training in 2011 & said "Interesting from a research perspective, and provides lots of good information. But definitely more for parents than for educators."

Now that I'm about to be a parent I'm so glad I re-read it! Super informative, readable, relatable & useful!
Colleen
Feb 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fascinating book, the science of infant to preschooler learning. So far it's confirming things I've sensed, such as why TV is detrimental to a developing mind, and how responding to a crying baby is good, but there is so much more. It's got a lot about the consequences in later life behavior due to early life experiences.
Mahi Wasfy
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend this book to parents and professionals in the field of early childhood education. The evidence based information and the practical suggestions (to enhance cognitive development in young children) makes this book a unique one!
Diana
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a little boring but the information in it was great and researched-based. buyer beware, this will convince of you no screen time for your little one!
Amie
Jun 07, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
This book is not helping my anxiety or PPD at all. Just making me feel worse.
Indrani Sen
Feb 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up
I started reading it soon after my niece was born. I haven't got around finishing it. I liked what I read. I may pick it up later but unlikely to go through the whole book.
Jacquie
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a simpler version of Superbaby.
Fatima
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audible version. This book was informative. Some of the information overlapped with other books like Brain Rules for Baby. It stresses the same concepts. 0-2 is a very critical again where most of the wiring is done in the brain. The babies at this stage need love, bonding, security, attention. Investing in high quality care is very important unlike what most people do when they invest in expensive preschools and not care so much about this early stage. Read/talk to your baby. ...more
Delia
It is hard to read that you need to be more engaged with your child. You need to be present. You need to be loving through words and touch. You could really do better. What is good? That it is never too late. This author has a daughter who was born a preemie. She also missed a few milestones with her own daughter and this helps her to be sympathetic to those who missed the mark. Her words make sense and I want to read this book again at some point. My baby just turned 5 months and my oldest is . ...more
Brittany
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
If you like a lot of technical, scientific facts and figures about the brains of babies and want to know all about the research behind it, then this is the book for you. I can never remember all of that and honed in on the promised "simple" way instead, but it was much too simple. Like, did you know that children can learn to like reading? I'm sure there is a right audience for this book, but it just didn't click with me.
Connie T.
Though backed by science, this user-friendly guide to your child's brain development is easy to read, insightful, and informative. Don't be intimidated. You don't need fancy degrees or costly gadgets to foster your baby's mind. Many of the suggested activities might be second nature to some of us, but for others, this reference is great to have around. (Only 3 stars because I was already familiar with much of this.)
Erin Stuhlsatz
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, parenting
I liked this a lot. There was concrete information about what the research shows, and Dr. Stamm also explained how the recommendations make sense based on neuroscience. I especially appreciated the lists of useful activities divided by age, with explanations on how to make the most out of your infant, baby, or toddler's experiences.
Brian
Apr 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of interesting science and information, but not as much practical advice of what to do as I was hoping for. On my second read I added tabs for the activity recommendations for the different ages, since activities are given at the ends of chapters for all ages, to make it easier to reference in the future.
Kate McElfatrick
I listened to the audiobook, and I couldn’t stand the voice of the narrator! Her voice was a bit too sickly sweet, and it made me hate everything she suggested. Maybe the book would be better if I read it rather than listened to it. Still, I don’t think I needed a whole book on how to play with a child
Christopher
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wished I had read this with the first child. This book is a bit older, so I wonder about what recent research has contributed to this topic. The book has some great ideas on how to apply the theory into practice with your child. I highly recommend this book to anyone with a child.
Alexis
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There’s plenty of good advice but the way things are phrased just make me feel like a bad parent. Being a new parent is rough especially when you don’t have experience with babies and I feel like she could have left out the more judgy bits/phrasing (which is frequent).
Puneet Girdhar
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great concepts and format

I love that the author boils down the concepts to A-B-C. The real life activities were also well presented. Overall a great read.
Hillary
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Very insightful!

I found this book incredibly helpful and useful. My baby is almost 3 months old, but I already feel this has been a great asset for her learning.
Melissa
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ABC's of baby brain development: Attention, Bonding, and Communication.
Many age-appropriate activities suggested.

Excellent material.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• What's Going On in There? How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life
  • The Family Nutrition Book: Everything You Need to Know about Feeding Your Children from Birth Through Adolescence
  • Superbaby: 12 Ways to Give Your Child a Head Start in the First 3 Years
  • Einstein Never Used Flashcards: How Our Children Really Learn--and Why They Need to Play More and Memorize Less
  • Brain Rules for Baby: How to Raise a Smart and Happy Child from Zero to Five
  • Teach Me to Do It Myself: Montessori Activities for You and Your Child
  • Into the Minds of Babes: How Screen Time Affects Children From Birth to Age Five
  • Heading Home with Your Newborn: From Birth to Reality
  • Your Baby Is Speaking to You: A Visual Guide to the Amazing Behaviors of Your Newborn and Growing Baby
  • Montessori from the Start: The Child at Home, from Birth to Age Three
  • Power of Play: How Spontaneous, Imaginative Activities Lead to Happier, Healthier Children
  • Sign with Your Baby: How to Communicate with Infants Before They Can Speak
  • Unplugged Play: No Batteries. No Plugs. Pure Fun.
  • You Are Your Child's First Teacher: What Parents Can Do with and for Their Children from Birth to Age Six
  • A Child is Born