Start by marking “Origins (Demonkin, #1)” as Want to Read:
Origins (Demonkin, #1)

Origins

(Demonkin #1)

Being different is never easy, especially when you're a vampire.
Ashlyn is far from normal. She was born a vampire, a trait that makes her utterly unique. Knowing this, her family strived to keep her existence a secret. Tragedy forces her from hiding and hunger drives her into the open. Unfortunately, living in a world that has accepted, embraced, and yet still fears the su
302 pages
Published September 2nd 2014 by Untold Press (first published February 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Origins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Origins

Start your review of Origins (Demonkin, #1)
Rayna
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Origins’ by Sean Hayden is a fast paced paranormal story that focuses on the vampire race as a species and its integration into the human world. Hayden sets the stage for a new fresh twist on vampire books; focussing on vampires and their hierarchies with in the race versus the stereotypical vampire book that focuses on lust, sex, and blood.

The book centres around a 17 year old Ashlyn Thorn who has lead a very isolated life until she is thrust into the world upon a tragic death of her last fam
Becky
Feb 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought that Origins was a WONDERFUL read. I devoured it in two sittings and this was even while reading it as a PDF (I highly dislike reading on the computer screen, so this bespeaks its quality even further). I was very impressed that this is Sean's first book and also thrilled that there would be more coming.

His character development was delightful and I loved following Ashlyn with both her triumphs and her subsequent humbling moments. She's an engaging character and I found myself wanting
A.T. Russell
Aug 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Expletiving expletive! This dude is hot! Sean Hayden's book, `Origins' is what's called a must read. The pages even turn themselves. What's more, you only think you know Vampires. I know I did. Or thought I did, that is. Everything changed when I read 'Origins.' Sean didn't try to reinvent the wheel with this offering. Instead, he tried something far more challenging. Sean may have changed the perspective of Vampire lore. 'Origins'certainly worked for me, and I'm betting it'll work for you too. ...more
Jen Wylie
Feb 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Origins is one of those books you don’t want to put down. I’ve read it more than once, and love it more each time. Sean Hayden has a knack for drawing you in and keeping the action going.

With wonderfully developed characters and a unique twist on vampires this story is a must read for young and old, boy or girl. The main character Ashlyn Thorn pulls you into her life as she learns about herself; who she is, what she is. Her character grows, makes mistakes and learns. The other characters, vampir
Michele Collins
Feb 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Author: Sean Hayden
Publisher: Echelon Press Publishing
ISBN: 9781590806821

Being a normal teenage is hard enough, but being Ashlyn is even more complicated. She lost her mother giving birth to her, and she does not even know her father. Given that she knows no other relatives she lives with her aunt, which seems normal right? But not only has her aunt cared for Ashlyn but she also lets Ashlyn feed off her blood every other day. Instead of nails Ashlyn has claws and her pupils of her eyed are slit
Darcia Helle
I didn't think there were any new twists left for vampire books. Much to my delight, Sean Hayden proved me wrong. He brings a fresh approach to the often tired vampire tale. The characters are unique and wonderfully entertaining. The plot is suspenseful with a touch of humor to lighten to mood. I found myself fully immersed in Ashlyn's world and I enjoyed every minute.
Katy O'Dowd
Oct 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge fan of vampire books - from Varney to Dracula, and Carmilla to Eric, I'd like to think I've read a fair few of them.
And not since the True Blood series has something come along to make me sit up and take notice. Forget the billowing angst and wallowing mithering of the Twilight books, if you really want to get your teeth (geddit?) into something, then Sean Hayden's Origins is for you.
Meet Ashlyn Thorn, born a vampire and more. Her sheltered life is torn apart by the death of her belov
delane
Mar 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good book!
There's not a lot of stories that I can say that I actually sat and read straight through in one night...but this one I did, it was that easy of a read.
Vampires, demons, weres (of all shapes and sizes), fae....you get the picture...are all known and accepted citizens who live and work among humans. Ashlyn is a vampire...sort of...at least that is mostly what she appears, but there are things about her that just don't jive with what the 'norm' for vampires are.
I'm got
J.A. Campbell
Feb 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
Origins is a fast paced, interesting and different take on a world where vampires and werewolves are out in the open.

The main character is young, and inexperienced, but she manages to step up and kick some ass. She screws up a few times, but ultimately the good guys win and she discovers a lot about herself in the process.

I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys fast paced, well told stories. I also highly recommend it to anyone who likes Urban Fantasy and Young Adult :)
VampireNovelFan
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All the makings of a fabulous series!

I wasn't really sure what to expect with Sean Hayden's novel, but Origins (Demonkin #1) ended up being the perfect read for me over the weekend.  The main character is Ashlyn Thorn. Right off the bat we learn that this is a world filled with vampires, elves, and werewolves, but she's a special case. She's a predator of the predators, finding sustenance on in supernatural blood. This gave me a Trinity Blood vibes a bit quite honestly.

After being sheltered
Lisa Hollar
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book drew me in from page one and I read it straight through, only stopping to feed my family and I think if I hadn't done that they would have rebelled. The story begins in the past with a woman who summons a demon, expecting him to do her bidding. As can be expected, things go wrong. Fastforward 17 years or so into the future, (not sure if the pregnancy was the standard 9 months or perhaps shorter,) and the reader meets Ashlyn. She doesn't know what she is. She's not human. She could be c ...more
Serena
Plot: Ashlyn isn’t sure exactly what she is. Everyone calls her a vampire but that doesn’t really explain everything about her. She doesn’t fit in with the vampire world, she has no master and she wasn’t MADE into a vampire. She doesn’t fit in with the human world because... well she drinks blood. and has talons. The FBI offers a job with them, being a kind of liason between the supe world and the FBI world. The fact that she doesn’t have a master makes her a perfect choice for the FBI. The plot ...more
Shelly Wygant
Ashlyn doesn't quite know what she is. She has all the traits of a vampire and more. Her aunt has helped her hide away the first 17 years of her life. When she has to face the world things happen that she doesn't know how to handle. She is offered a job with the FBI and she takes it in hope that she can better understand her future. They help her better understand her vampire genetics and abilities. She also learns of abilities she didn't know she had.

Ashlyn character development was great. You
Amanda Bayley
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ashlyn Thorn is a breath of fresh air! After 17 years of a sheltered life, due to her vampiric tendencies, she is tragically left on her own.So, alone and unsure of herself what does our young fanged friend do? Does she find herself a beguiling young man to save her from her woes? Hell no. This girl comes from the depths of Sean Hayden's twisted imagination, fully equipped with a foul mouth and a bad ass attitude...eventually. She is not your average "damsel in distress". After a few hiccups, an ...more
Julie Johnson
Mar 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really really enjoyed this book. The protagonist had a unique voice, and lots of wit. She was also deeply construed, multi-dimensional--and not fully into her power yet, which I liked. It's a bit of a coming-of-age tale, which I think gave the story depth. I do hope there is another book, starring her, that continues her development.

I also loved the 'spin' on the usual vampire tale. The plot held my interest and definitely surprised me here and there. It was very original and engaging.

I went
Connie
May 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had a blast reading "Origins," which tells the story of a teenage vampire who becomes an FBI agent. Sean Hayden had so much outside-the-box thinking in this book I'm surprised it fit on the pages. When the young heroine loses her aunt, who was also her source of nutrition, she realizes quickly she has led a sheltered, quiet life, but from that moment on there isn't a quiet moment. This one is just plain fun!
Rusty Fischer
Feb 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a GREAT book. Sean Hayden has crafted a tough but tender, brutal but thoughtful tale that turns the tables on everything you thought you knew about vampires. Or werewolves. Or demons. Or police procedurals. Or the FBI. Or mysteries... you get my point. This is SO much more than a vampire book and I can't say enough good things about. So what are you waiting for? Find out for yourself...
Julianna
Apr 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
When I received this book through goodreads first reads I didn't have very high expectations but I found this book very enjoyable. The story was very interesting and kept me reading til the end. My only problem is that what the girl really is is given away at the very beginning even though she doesn't know what she is herself. I will be looking forward to the sequel.
Readers Roundtable
4.5 Gold Crowns. Wow, wonderful, and a brilliant take on Vampires and other supernatural beings. Origins by Sean Hayden is a magnificent. To read the rest of this review, please visit http://thereadersroundtable.com/paran... ...more
Sally
Feb 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book. I couldn't stop reading it
Rev.dulce
Sep 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was a great book from a new author. I highly recommend it if you are into fantasy/vampire/demons kind of books.
Kelly/yllektra
A vampire that is born, not made? o_0
Whoohoo, with Underworld:Awakening (movie) coming out next year for which I'm extremely excited, this sounds wicked!
Greg
Sep 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Won this on the First Reads Giveways.
Aimee Dennis
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This is the 1st in the series Demonkin and my 1st experience with Sean Hayden’s writing. To summarize it in one word – WOW! I love well written Urban Fantasy and this one did not disappoint. Ashlyn lived a sheltered life, protected from the outside world. Extenuating circumstances thrust her into unfamiliar territory, where she is forced to quickly adapt to her untried ‘powers’. Although she has similar traits to the vampire race, she is truly unique in her abilities born within her. The FBI rec ...more
Michelle Willms
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creative take on vampirism

Supernaturals have been accepted as regular citizens. This requires assimilating them into all fields of law enforcement, including the FBI. One vampire,who is very different from all other breeds, is the first to successfully enter the FBI. Great book. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
Penny
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What is Ashlynn exactly???

This is a good story with a lot of surprises that make you want to keep reading. I kept trying to guess exactly what she is the entire time but never imagined what she really is.
Steven Jr.
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

While I normally dislike first person stories i gave this one a chance and am happy i did. Although it starts slowly, I couldn't help but feel for the main character. As the story went on it picked up speed and I couldn't put it down.
Loretta Lewis
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Read

This book took me by surprise. In the beginning I thought it was a book about a vampire and then it turned into something so much more!

I am excited to see where this story leads. I like the characters and how they are coming into their own.
Vik77
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book...I am fond of the whole as a woman I am femme as a fighter I kick ads.....Since she works for the government she must or her and her team will die.
Michelle Weitzmann
Excellent

This is the first book I've read from this author but not the last, he keeps you guessing from moment to moment, I am really looking forward to the next in this series

• Siphon (A Touch of Power, #1)
  • Cross Her Heart (Bree Taggert, #1)
  • The One Who Eats Monsters (Wind and Shadow, #1)
  • From the Ashes (The Phoenix Project Duet #1)
  • Handfuls of Shattered Pieces (Pieces of Us, #1)
  • Caged Magic (Iron Serpent Chronicles, #1)
  • One Part Human (An Obscure Magic, #1)
  • Twice Bitten (New Moon #1)
  • Touch of the Mage (Twyst Academy Book 1)
  • Greed (The Damning, #1)
  • Envy (The Damning, #2)
  • The Light We Seek (Together We Fall, #2)
  • Gluttony (The Damning, #3)
  • The Red Admiral (Red Angel #4)
  • Fate Bound (Fate Bound Saga #1)
  • Blindly Indicted (Paranormal Prison)
  • Survivor: A Shifter of Consequence Tale (Shifters of Consequence Book 1)
  • Hijackers (Red Angel, #3)
Born the son of a fire chief, Sean naturally developed a love of playing with fire. His family and friends quickly found other outlets for his destructive creativity. Writing is his latest endeavor.
Always a fan of the macabre, mythical, and magical, Sean found a love of urban fantasy and horror. After writing several novels in this genre, he found, fell in love with, and immersed himself in steamp

Demonkin (2 books)
  • Deceptions (Demonkin, #2)

News & Interviews