Start by marking “Avengers: Time Runs Out, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Avengers: Time Runs Out, Volume 1

Avengers: Time Runs Out, Volume 1

(Avengers (2012) (Collected Editions) #7)

For Earth's Mightiest Heroes and the Illuminati, it has all been building to this. After two years of carefully crafting his cataclysmic saga, writer Jonathan Hickman jumps ahead eight months to the grand finale, the honest-to-goodness immediate future of the Marvel Universe -- and the day of the Final Incursion! After the events of ORIGINAL SIN -- and the revelation of th ...more
Published January 27th 2015 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Avengers, please sign up.
Josh All of Hickman's Avengers vol 5 and New Avengers vol 3 books are lead-in to this series, which is all a lead-in to Secret Wars.

Start your review of Avengers: Time Runs Out, Volume 1
Anne
Whew! One more volume down, and I'm closer than ever to finishing my quest to get through all of the Avengers stuff, and finally being able to pick up Secret Wars.
Yes. I know I'm woefully behind on my comic book reading...

description

Ok, the point is, I'm almost there! And, as an added bonus, this volume includes not only the regular Avengers issues, it also has New Avengers issues in it. Which is kinda great, because I thought I was going to have to go back and read that title separately.
*gets up, does a
Kemper
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, 2017, superhero, marvel
Captain America is seriously pissed off in this. I haven’t seen an old man this angry since that time the local Cracker Barrel ran out of hashbrown casserole.

Cap’s got good reason to be grumpy though. He’s hunting some of his best friends down for their role in destroying alternate Earths to save our own, the Avengers are in shambles, the world government is cutting deals with super-villains, and he’s finally starting to look like his real age.

The shape of Hickman’s run is really starting to eme
Jeff
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix
There comes a time
When we heed a certain call
When the world(s) must come together as one

Yeppers, Mikey Jackson (et al)!

And in the Marvel Universe we’re going to be able to have only one universe/one world and it’s happening a lot faster than those egghead bastards, the Illuminati had forseen. Everyone has ideas on how this whole multiverse mash up should be resolved and the Avengers titles have become a little fractured as a result. But give credit to Jonathon Hickman (et al), he does a pretty
Sam Quixote
May 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
The first of the last four books of Jonathan Hickman’s Avengers run before Secret Wars is no less sprawling and largely pointless than the series has been thus far – Time Runs Out, Volume 1 is pretty bad!

Captain America is now old because shenanigans from other storylines happening at this time but he’s also devolved into super-authoritarian Cap. He’s not only unlikeable but it’s not remotely clear how he plans to stop the planet-smooshing that’s inevitably occurring. He definitely wants to sto
Chad
Aug 03, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm ready for the time to run out on this storyline. I get it. It's the end of the universe and heroes are going to have to do things they never could imagine. Just hurry up and reboot the Marvel universe already.
Cheese
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love what Hickman is cooking up here. I think he might be onto a winner.

It's reminds me of civil war.
Sesana
Sep 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
It is very probably all my fault that I didn't like this more. I haven't kept up on Hickman's work, much less everything that was intentionally leading towards this exact point. So I'm behind. I didn't really know where we were going in, and I didn't really know everybody who was involved. I've read just enough Marvel books that I had a vague sense of what, exactly, the coming catastrophe was. But I had to catch up as I read, and that's my fault. Maybe I should have read all those other books, o ...more
Natasha
When I picked this up from the library, I didn't know this was part of a much larger series (seriously why put volume one on the cover?) so I was extremely confused which may have impacted my enjoyment. And I don't know how I feel about huge ensemble comics yet. I might go back and read the others which will be a lot of effort obviously.
Sud666
Feb 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Avengers: Time Runs Out takes place after the events of Original Sin. I am relatively familiar with the events of Fear Itself, and somewhat familiar with Original Sin. But, it seems I shall have to go back and re-read them. This was a slightly confusing tale. It seems that the multiverse is coalescing into one (reminds me of the DC Infinite Crisis). The Avengers and something called the multiverse Avengers are integrated into SHIELD and trying to stop the Illuminati and the Cabal from destroying ...more
Robert
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People Who Want to See Super-People Acting Like...People?
Shelves: marvel
Well...that was different.

If you're looking for persons of impressive anatomy in tight costumes punching evil-doers in the face, this is probably not the comic compendium for you. If, however, you have enjoyed the author's work on Avengers and New Avengers and want to see where all this was heading, and you don't mind heady meditations on expediency, trust, and a whole lot of pseudo-science, as well as some distinctive and visually appealing character-driven art, then go for it!

And, oh yeah- I w
Aildiin
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Took me a little while to catch up as this takes place 8 month after the last Avengers/New Avengers book but once I was immersed this was a fun read.
I think at this point it's fair to say that Hickman run on Avengers is my favorite Avengers run ever....
Mike
Finally, after some laughably mediocre lead-in comics, I'm here to read The Good Stuff. The resolution to nearly all of Jonathan Hickman's career at Marvel - tying together every crazy-assed idea he's committed to the glossy page. (((please don't suck, please don't suck)))

Hickman does great jump-ahead, and this book is no exception. Rather than all the tedium of incremental decisions and action, we just get to the meaty changed-state where many of the players have split up, taken on new challeng
Joseph
Aug 28, 2015 rated it liked it
I honestly don't know how I feel about all of this.

Back-handed shenanigans, heroes working for SHIELD, worlds dying in order save "ours," it's all iffy to me.

At least in this volume, Hickman gives some suspense and drama. I don't quite know what all is going on, or how this is being addressed in the non-Avengers books, so that might explain it.

Still, we know there is an endgame in sight: Secret Wars. Going to be interesting going forward.
Michael Hicks
Overall, I've been hugely impressed with Jonathan Hickman's run on Avengers. For epic, brainy, complex and complicated storytelling in comics, few do it better than Hickman. Throughout his run on both Avengers and New Avengers, he's been telling a massive, multi-year, multi-title sci-fi story on a cosmic scale.

The multiverse is collapsing, and a strange sight is appearing in the sky - a second Earth. These incursion events, in which two Earth's occupy the same space, guarantees death. Either bot
RG
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Has its moments but I feel like its taking too long to get anyhwere.
Michael Church
This one is starting to grow on me. It's a combination of Avengers and New Avengers. Considering I was only reading one of those, I have something of a handicap going in only knowing half of the story. That said, there was also apparently a time jump in there that could've thrown me for a loop anyway.

I still like the concept and I like that there are so many different approaches to it. Honestly, I picked the Illuminati series because of the Infinity Gems, but considering they haven't been aroun
Andrew
Sep 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Eight months have passed since the Earth - shattering (ha ha) events of New Avengers Vol. 4. In the meantime in-between time, the Illuminati are in hiding, Wakanda has been destroyed, the Avengers have split in two, and the Cabal had gotten U.N. approval (!) to keep blowing up planets to their hearts' content. This volume is 90% table-setting for the rest of the "Time Runs Out" story arc, but it's all enjoyable table-setting. Sunspot, Smasher, and Cannonball are the most funny, human, and humane ...more
Charlos
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Prelude to Secret Wars!

Which would be good if I had been reading the books up to this point, and knew what was going on. But I didn't and don't, so I'm not invested in what's going on here. Maybe it will be more meaningful on the other end?
Jordan Lahn
Lots of catching up on what's happened in the last 8 months. Only just starting to get an idea of what the different groups' plans are.
Stefan Fergus
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Don't really know what's going on. Is this the "real" world, or one of the endless alternate universes? Who am I supposed to be rooting for? Decent artwork, though. Just don't know what's going on...
Matt
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Collects Avengers (2012) issues #35-37 and New Avengers (2013) issues #24-25

Set 8 months in the future of the current Marvel Universe, various factions of Avengers are attempting to stop the collapse of the Mutliverse. Unfortunately, these factions are sometimes opposed, so this particular volume features some of the heroes being hunted down and incarcerated by other heroes (while us as readers try to get our bearings on what's happening in this future story). We also find out very early in this
Chris
May 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphicnovels, 2015
I haven't been following many of Marvel Comics' superhero stories of late, at least in monthly form - from a distance, they all seem to read as a never-ending crossover and I've had my innings with that kind of storytelling. It's not something that overly interests me at this point as a reader.

I grabbed Time Runs Out V.1 at our local library however and was impressed with how easily I picked up what's going on. It's a real downer of a story about the end of all universes and how Marvel's stable
Garrett
Jun 08, 2015 rated it liked it
First and foremost, this is only called Avengers: Time Runs Out because it took place in the pages of the two functional Avengers titles and has now been mooshed together. So that's an editorial titling, because this book has none of the feel of a typical Avengers story, instead having a black, bleak, "so it's come to this" sort of pre-apocalyptic set-up for the "new" Marvel Universe that's coming out of this Summer's Secret Wars.

So - it's dark and layered and does not reward new readers; this i
Andrew
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
"Yeah, alright. Okay, got it. It's cool. I think....Jonathan, we....Mm kay, I see now. Cabal. Illuminati? Yeah, well, that seems a little....is this shit actually going to sell?"
-Editor at Marvel

I'm giving this 4 solid stars because my God, Jonathan Hickman knows how to write Doom. Brilliant. Callous. Indifferent. Cool as a cucumber and calm as a fat man in a bowling alley. The way that Victor Von Doom should be written. Marvel needs its villains, desperately, to be written well, by people who
Jacob
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Public library copy.

Boy, have things become dense and confusing in the Marvel universe these days. Every now and then an uninformed, irregular reader like myself cracks a book open and I feel like I understand less than 40% of what has happened, is happening, and will happen. The art is great, but these time travel stories and complexity of plot tapestries by Remender and Hickman make me rush through the work so I can focus on work that demands less of a reader.
Kelli
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Not a ton of action, but high on tension which keeps you glued to the page! Gorgeous artwork but the Hickman's story is what makes this great. There are a lot of players in this series, which can get a bit confusing at times, but Hickman's characterizations are fantastic. If you're a fan of solid writing and don't need non-stop superhero action then check out this volume!
John
Apr 09, 2015 rated it liked it
What the hell is going on? I know where we have been, and I can see where this is all going, but I do not see why the leap forward or any of what happens while we are there is necessary. Confusing and often dazzling, with ardent hope that it makes better sense in retrospect.
Patty
Nov 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-graphic
Source: Library

**3.5 Stars**
I'm new to Jonathan Hickman's work, I've seen a lot of people talk about his East of West series but I haven't gotten around to picking that up yet. I did enjoy the artwork in this one but as far as story line goes, meh, just wasn't to my liking.
Sarospice
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Hickman is a comic book writer's writer because they think he writes over our heads. But if you read a few of his arcs he actually writes in circles. It's always THE END OF EVERYTHING to bring about the beginning of the next thing. Still, this was an interesting era for the Avengers.
Sonic
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Oooooo Hickman is cookin' some schemes up! :)
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Absolute Carnage
  • Civil War: Warzones!
  • Captain America by Ta-Nehisi Coates, Vol. 1: Winter in America
  • The Unworthy Thor
  • Thor, Volume 2: Who Holds the Hammer?
  • Secret Invasion
  • Infinity War
  • Immortal Hulk, Volume 2: The Green Door
It’s no small thing to die and be born again.

After a certain amount of time you get tired of wasting talent. Of being part of a fraudulent profession — or actually being a fraud. And, most importantly, not living the life you are capable of having.

I remember the first night I went out with my wife. It was raining, she was beautiful… it was a normal, ordinary, intentionally uneventful, date. But at

Avengers (2012) (Collected Editions) (10 books)
  • Avengers, Volume 1: Avengers World