Start by marking “Writing and Selling the YA Novel” as Want to Read:
Writing and Selling the YA Novel

Writing and Selling the YA Novel

Learn what a young adult novel is, how to write young adult fiction, how to get it published, and how to promote it.
Published April 4th 2008 by Writer's Digest Books

To ask other readers questions about Writing and Selling the YA Novel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing and Selling the YA Novel

Start your review of Writing and Selling the YA Novel
Ene Sepp
Sep 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Neile, kes ei ole varem noortele mõeldud raamatuid kirjutanud, on sellest raamatust tõenäoliselt väga palju kasu. Asja teeb huvitavamaks ka raamatu ülesehitus - nagu tavaline koolipäev tundide, vahetunni ja söögivahetunniga. Iga tunni lõpus on ka "kodutöö" ehk mõni harjutus. Seetõttu julgeks seda soovitada ka noortele, kes tahaksid oma kirjutamist arendada.

Paar mõtet, mis ma välja kirjutasin:
- teismelisest peategelasele ei tohiks anda elukogemust, mida neil veel pole
- ideid otsides, mõtle sellel
Emma
Oct 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: bought
While on one hand, it's references to Twilight being a well written and 'rich and haunting' novel resulting in me getting fed up with it early on, it made some goods points towards the end of the book.

What I didn't like was it's lack of originality. I've never read any book of the sort and I'd already felt like I'd read this book a hundred times before. It was very Americanised in its view of YA and the whole time I'm reading, I'm thinking 'this is setting me up to write a YA novel that's exactl
Grace
May 11, 2015 rated it liked it
This a great book to read for beginning writers, but for me, since I've been writing for a long time and am only 20 years old so I'm still pretty much in the young adult category, a lot of it was stuff I already know. The first few chapters are the basics, like what YA books are and how to relate to young adults. So I skimmed through a lot of that, but after the basics it got better and was more helpful for me.
Cara Davis
Sep 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
I tend not to read books on writing. I feel like if I'm reading about writing, that's time I'm not spending writing. However, I've hit kind of a wall with my work and so I trekked to the library to see if there was something that might help me out. Young adult fiction is my area of choice and this book spoke to me for that reason. However, I was a little disappointed and I may go back to my original stance of not reading books on writing.

It isn't the book's fault, of course. The problem is, Goin
Crystalee
Jul 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books on writing that I've read. It was creatively done and covered every aspect of writing for teens, from coming up with ideas through how to submit and the money aspects of becoming a published authro.
Lee Thompson
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anybody who wants to be a better writer
A very wonderful book on writing for teens. Clear, concise, entertaining, and enlightening.
Sarah Olson
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. The author did a great job including the thoughts and suggestions of real teens. Would recommend to anyone who needs a basic understanding of the YA genre.
Ilena Bickley
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good read. Very informative
R.G. Ziemer
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Writing and Selling the YA Novel by K. I. Going is a good how-to book for aspiring authors of young adult fiction. The author applies an insider’s knowledge of the business to a fairly basic outline of fiction-writing essentials. Going has worked as an agent and editor, and achieved critical success with her own YA books Saint Iggy and Fat Kid Rules the World, which was a Michael L. Printz Honor Book.
In keeping with the YA theme, the format of the book follows a high school schedule from Home Ro
Roger Hyttinen
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Writing & Selling the YA novel by K.L. Going, is a helpful book if you are thinking about becoming an author of YA novels. I've had this book on my bookshelf for quite awhile and recently decided to revisit it. Going has worked as an assistant literary agent, book doctor and has published several books in the young adult genre so we get somewhat of an "insider's" view to the publishing world.

Written in 2008, parts of the book are a tad outdated such as the importance of having a MySpace account,
Anna
Oct 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: aspiring YA writers
This is not a bad book to read if you are interested in writing and publishing a young adult novel. It definitely covers all of the basics from audience to voice to creating unique and likable characters. It also presents the realities of getting published with or without an agent. Parts of the book reminded me of how-to books on writing that have been geared towards young adults (like some of the Writers Workshop books by Ralph Fletcher). However, the last two chapters of the book clearly made ...more
Whitney
Sep 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a text book for my Publishing for YA class, and was by far one of the most enjoyable text books I've ever had to read. Going's advice in this book is simple, and easy to understand. While there wasn't any real new advice to be found in this book that can't be found in others, this is a very readable how-to book. Something I really liked that she had in this text was the opinion section in each chapter by teens. It's nice to hear from the audience you're aiming for.

Rated 3 stars because
Atziri
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Beginner writers
Shelves: reference
I read this book for a class titled "Writing the Young Adult Novel". I found it extremely helpful and a very easy read. I would highly recommend it to beginning and aspiring writer's like myself.

Going organizes the book around various different school subjects (gym, english, social studies, science...) which didn't really mean much to me. Nonetheless, her writing tips, insiders knowledge of the world of writing, and the summary interviews with teens help one better understand this genre. The boo
Kesha
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
A how to that is organized in a fun, meaningful manner (as a high school schedule). The language is so plan and helpful. Going gives the reader and potential author the confidence to embark on writing a YA novel. The homework assignments are challenging and essential in getting your writing muscles strengthened. I valued the advice to read and read some more to gain a sense of what makes a YA novel YA. She suggests some amazing titles to reference for assistance in analyzing plot, setting, point ...more
Jayda
Dec 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
From what I have read so far it's spoken about all stuff that I know, but it puts all of that into a new perspective, which does help. It's nice to read a book based on writing just the Young Adult novel instead of just novels in general. It puts specifics in order and helps me to better understand the genre. The only thing that I don't like so far is how it speaks to me as if I'm older than a teenager. Maybe the writer assumed that I'm a 31 year old who wants to write in the Young Adult genre? ...more
Cheryl Klein
The advice in this book is solid, but it doesn't say much that I haven't read in other craft books or learned from writing workshops. (Maybe because the secret to writing YA fiction is that the rules are pretty much the same as for any good fiction.) Going's gimmick--structuring the book around a school day with chapters like "History" and "Recess"--is sorta cute, sorta annoying. The book doesn't have the soul that Anne Lamott and Annie Dillard have put into their books on writing, but there are ...more
Dorothy
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A really useful book for any fiction writer, whether their aim is YA Novel or not. Going takes you right through the writing process, step by step. I've read this book in a piecemeal fashion previously, but on this occasion read the whole book, with a notebook to hand in which I jotted down snippets of advice and points of action. Many books on writing are over self-indulgent with authors proposing that their way is the right and only way. Thankfully, this is not one of those books.

Chris
Apr 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Clearly written, practical, and with just the right amount of detail, this book is a great guide to the business of writing for teens. Going's worked in an agency, in a bookstore, and as a successful YA writer herself, and she dispenses advice for aspiring writers by drawing on her experience in all three fields.
Claire Dawn
Dec 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most comprehensive book available for aspiring YA writers. Going looks at why we write for teens, the history of YA, how to develop ideas, characters and plots, how to edit, settings, money, query and content. She also provides some feedback from teens, which is the single most useful thing for a YA writer.
Janet
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
Overall, I liked this book. Not sure the use of high school subjects as the theme for the chapters worked for me. I liked the teen comments, and I found a lot of great little tidbits and insights throughout the book.
Angela Joyce
Nov 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'm glad to see that on here, it writes out "Young Adult" in full. On the book I have, it says "YA" which always looks vaguely taunting to me. I hate abbreviations anyway, but this isn't about me.

The book is gently galvanizing and a lot of fun. I do recommend it.
Elvira Baryakina
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
A lot of interesting points but a lot of useless information, too.
Holly
Feb 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: aspiring young adult authors and their spouses who don't understand their passion
Invaluable analysis of the young adult genre. Great resource for those thinking of writing young adult books.
Kara
Jul 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
A decent "how-to" book for a beginner.
Ann
May 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
A good basic book written in a conversational style with lots of resources for beginners.
Heidi
Apr 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Sadly, no book about writing is all that helpful... Rarely do they say anything that anybody else hasn't already said. What is really needed is a magic injection...
Randy
Erin Procario
Apr 26, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Buzz, Sting, Bite: Why We Need Insects
  • The Tractor Who Wants to Fall Asleep: A New Way of Getting Children to Fall Asleep
  • The Son of the Wolf: Tales of the Far North
  • Getting Rid Of Matthew
  • Eesti rahva appikarje. „Võsareporteri“ lugu
  • Comedy Queen
  • 魔道祖师 [Mo Dao Zu Shi]
  • Elements of Fiction
  • The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2)
  • Outlining Your Novel: Map Your Way to Success
  • Improve Your Punctuation And Grammar (How To)
  • Story Engineering: Character Development, Story Concept, Scene Construction
  • Bizenghast, Volume 1 (Bizenghast, #1)
  • Bizenghast, Volume 2 (Bizenghast, #2)
  • The Black Mage
  • Bizenghast, Volume 7 (Bizenghast, #7)
  • Bizenghast, Volume 6 (Bizenghast, #6)
  • Bizenghast, Volume 5 (Bizenghast, #5)
K.L. Going is the award winning author of numerous books for children and teens. Her first novel, Fat Kid Rules the World was named a Michael Printz Honor Book by the American Library Association, and was included on YALSA’s Best Books for Young Adults list and their list of Best Books for the Past Decade. Her books have been Booksense picks, Scholastic Book Club choices, Junior Library Guild sele ...more

News & Interviews