Start by marking “In the Grip of Winter (Farthing Wood, #2)” as Want to Read:
In the Grip of Winter (Farthing Wood, #2)

In the Grip of Winter (Farthing Wood #2)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  288 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
The second book in the "Farthing Wood" series. In the depths of winter, with snow thick on the ground, Badger lies alone and injured. No one knows where he is, and the icy cold is tightening its grip every second. Colin Dann won the Arts Council National Award for Children's Literature.
Published September 20th 1982 by Red Fox (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about In the Grip of Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Grip of Winter

Kirsti
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've owned this book for years, one of the few Animals of Farthing Wood books I didn't have to order from Thriftbooks. As such, I've read it many times and highly enjoy the familiarity of it. I enjoy remembering the story and the characters, and the build up to other books I haven't read for a longer time. Adore this series, we really need a more readily available DVD of the series I grew up loving.

Five stars.
John Kirk
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good sequel, which puts familiar characters in a new situation rather than repeating the first story with another journey. It also starts to get more explicit about the fact that the carnivores eat smaller animals; The Animals of Farthing Wood mostly skirted around that by showing them eating insects or just going off elsewhere to hunt. Similarly, this story goes into a bit more detail about animals' mating processes. It's not too graphic, but if you read this story to young children t ...more
A.R. Collins
May 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Although I found the events of this story slightly more varied and interesting than those in the first book, I was still bored for much of the time. The severe overuse of adverbs particularly annoys me because half the time they don't even make sense; I was often reminded of students trying to cram in adverbs to please a teacher without any degree of understanding. There is still the issue of the animals being far too knowledgeable about the human world, for instance, where on earth did Kestrel ...more
Jake Collins
In many ways it would have been better not to turn The Animals of Farthing Wood into a continuing series, as White Deer Park is already coming across as something of a false haven, but I've found that I still like this book as much as I did when I was younger. All the stuff with Badger and the Warden's Cat strikes the right note for me, and the animals' attempts to help each other survive the winter are interesting and sometimes compelling.
Sally
We just don't GET those epic winters in Australia, so they were always interesting to read about in that sort of fantasy, "this isn't real" kind of way. Laura Ingalls' The Long Winter is another I was very fond of.
Chris
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Returning to the pages of the Farthing Wood gang is like stepping into a roomful of old friends. While the cast of characters is smaller with the hibernating animals asleep for the great duration of the book, new characters are introduced and a few background roles enlarged to fill the gap. As much a page-turner as the previous book!
Anna Tan
Ah, nostalgia. :)

It's a pretty good book if you like stories about animals and friendship.
Sarah Adamson
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, ya
The sequel to Animals of Farthing Wood. The animals face fierce challenges if they wish to survive the winter.
Jebin
Jun 16, 2011 added it
Loved it.
Jordyn
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
this is a brilliant book and I read it every winter. a good read
Oct 02, 2011
Kh2912
May 19, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Cry of the Wolf
  • Windjammer Run (Welkin Weasels, #3)
  • Dido and Pa (The Wolves Chronicles, #7)
  • The Oaken Throne (The Deptford Histories, #2)
  • The Funny Thing
  • The Wainscott Weasel
  • The Book of Dragons
  • Stray
  • Die Konferenz der Tiere
  • Silver Brumbies of the South
  • Gwinna
  • The Children of Willow Farm (Rewards)
  • Little Foxes
  • The Starthorn Tree
  • Run With the Wind (Run Wild #1)
Colin Dann (born 1943 in Richmond, Surrey (now part of London)) is an English author. He is best known for his The Animals of Farthing Wood series of books, which was subsequently made into an animated series.

Dann worked at the publishing firm William Collins Sons & Co. for thirteen years, and his first novel, The Animals of Farthing Wood, was written during this period. The original cover for
More about Colin Dann...

Farthing Wood (7 books)
  • The Animals of Farthing Wood (Farthing Wood, #1)
  • Fox's Feud (Farthing Wood, #3)
  • The Fox Cub Bold (Farthing Wood, #4)
  • The Siege of White Deer Park (Farthing Wood, #5)
  • In the Path of the Storm (Farthing Wood, #6)
  • Battle for the Park (Farthing Wood, #7)