Start by marking “Thin Air (Shetland Island, #6)” as Want to Read:
Thin Air (Shetland Island, #6)

Thin Air

(Shetland Island #6)

A group of old university friends leave the bright lights of London and travel to Unst, Shetland's most northerly island, to celebrate the marriage of one of their friends to a Shetlander. But late on the night of the wedding party, one of them, Eleanor, disappears - apparently into thin air. It's mid-summer, a time of light nights and unexpected mists. The following day, ...more
Published May 5th 2015 by Minotaur Books (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Thin Air, please sign up.
Wendy Yes, the personal story lines make more sense if you read them in order. Although I like this series, the Shetland atmosphere, setting and writing…moreYes, the personal story lines make more sense if you read them in order. Although I like this series, the Shetland atmosphere, setting and writing format makes me NOT read them all at once. (I have done this with other series).(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Tom Martin Fans can try to explain it away, but my take is that yes, it's an error. And not the only one. With this book I felt like Ann Cleeves made such a…moreFans can try to explain it away, but my take is that yes, it's an error. And not the only one. With this book I felt like Ann Cleeves made such a complicated and convoluted story line that even she couldn't keep it straight. (less)

Start your review of Thin Air (Shetland Island, #6)
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
The Shetland series has long been one of my favorites mysteries, and this book did not disappoint. Characterization: brilliant. Setting: lovely. Mystery: kept me compelled. Red herrings like wut.

I really could do without Detective Willow, though. She's rather annoying.
Phrynne
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-2020
I can always be sure when I pick up a book by Ann Cleeves that I am going to enjoy it and I was proved to be right again!

The Shetland Islands breed some very unusual folks, not surprising really when the daylight lasts well into the night and every time you want go somewhere you have to catch a ferry. It's a very different kind of life style. Interestingly, when a body is found in a field it is left there for hours (with a police guard of course) while the necessary officials travel by plane or
La Tonya  Jordan
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery Lovers
Recommended to La Tonya by: Carmel, In Public Library Mystery Book Group
Shelves: good-read
Eleanor Longstaff was found murdered on Unst in Shetland which is the furtherst north a person can go in the United Kingdom. She was in Unst to celebrate the hamefarin (wedding reception) of Caroline Lawson and Lowrie Malcomson, friends from college. Upon her death, people start to talk about the ghost of Peerie Lizzie, a ten year old girl, who drowned in 1930 on the island. Polly Gilmour, a college and long-time friend of Eleanor's, starts to actually see the little girl.

The investigation
Diane S ☔
Jun 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A series I have read from the beginning, drawn at first to the unusual setting of the Shetland Islands. Kept reading because I loved the characters, the intriguing culture of a place I will probably never see, and the right combination of characters lives and plots. This outing finds Perez back on the job after a horrific circumstance in his personal life and a group of college friends, attending a Shetland custom after the marriage of two friends, one who was raised on the island. A folklore, ...more
Richard Derus
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4* of five

The Publisher Says: A group of old university friends leave the bright lights of London and travel to Unst, Shetland's most northerly island, to celebrate the marriage of one of their friends to a Shetlander. But late on the night of the wedding party, one of them, Eleanor, disappears - apparently into thin air. It's mid-summer, a time of light nights and unexpected mists. The following day, Eleanor's friend Polly receives an email. It reads like a suicide note, saying she'll
Margitte
I'm going to throw the blurb in here. It's much more descriptive than I can make it. And please, humor me, and fall in love with the beautiful cover too, like I did.

Sandy
Nov 24, 2014 rated it liked it
90% great, 10%.....wha? This is book #6 of the Shetland series featuring Detective Jimmy Perez. He's back on the job, still mourning the death of his girlfriend while caring for her daughter Cassie. After a young British woman goes missing following a wedding on Unst, he & colleague Sandy travel to the island. DI Willow Reeves soon joins them & they set up shop at Springfield House, a B&B converted from a manor with a haunting past.
The missing woman was part of 2 couples who
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
This was a book I really looked forward to reading since I love the Shetland series. What I like with the Shetland series is a.) the characters b.) the setting and c.) the crimes. I like Detective Jimmy Perez, he is such a steady character. He is still recovering from the loss of Fran, but now he seems to be more himself again. Detective Willow Reeves was introduced in the last book and I liked her from the beginning. This hippie cop together working with the steady Jimmy Perez. It's just a ...more
Suzy
Thin Air is the 6th entry into this favorite series. The series has in common many elements of other favorites. The place holds as much fascination as the mysteries, the cast of characters are fully realized and develop over the course of the series and the main protagonist is thoughtful and mostly careful in going about solving the crimes. I've said in other reviews that I really like Cleeves' writing feeling that it reflects the culture and pace of The Shetlands. This is not grit lit!

With that
tinne
Sep 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm being generous by handing out three stars. Two and a half would be more accurate.
Yes, all the elements of an entertaining and inspiring Shetland novel were there, but for the Monica character. She was not at all credible, her re-introduction into the story was left unexplained and she just seemed to be a hoax. The plot did not need more diversions and smoke screens. On the contrary, the book would have gained from some critical editing.

But I do still love Perez and the islands and I will
LJ
First Sentence: The music started.

The gathering of university friends for a wedding hamefarin’ on Unst in the Shetlands Islands comes to an end with the discovery of one of the friend’s body the next morning. Was it suicide, as indicated by an email received from the dead woman the next day? Was her death foretold by Perrie Lizzie, the ghost of a young girl who’d died there years before? Inspector Jimmy Perez and his team travel to the outermost island to find out.

Cleeves excels at creating a
Donna
Dec 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
This is the 6th book in the Shetland Island series by Ann Cleeves. I read the first one in this series and gave it 4 stars. This one was only 3 stars for me.

There wasn't as much of a sense of place in this book. I loved that part in book one. Maybe the author didn't want to sound repetitive....I don't know, but I felt this could have happened anywhere. There wasn't anything that stood out as unique.

I felt the story was well thought out, but it moved a little slow. I did page math a couple of
Rachel Hall
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whether it be DCI Vera Stanhope in Northumberland or Inspector Jimmy Perez in Shetland, every novel of either series seems to seamlessly work as a standalone and much of that is testament to Ann Cleeves gift for characterisation and exposing the hidden motivations in a tight knit community. This sixth instalment is a brilliantly atmospheric encounter that makes use of the barren Shetland landscape and the history of folklore that is so entrenched in the upbringing of the islanders. In the wake ...more
Bonnie
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ann Cleeves is back with her sixth book featuring Inspector Jimmy Perez in her Shetland's series which includes Raven Black, White Nights, Red Bones, Blue Lightning, and(running out of colors)Dead Water. The novel opens with a group of old university friends from London arriving in Unst, Shetland's most northerly island, in mid summer to celebrate the marriage of one of their friends. Late on the night of the wedding party, one of them, Eleanor, disappears - apparently into thin air. It's ...more
Cindy
This is such an enjoyable series, love the characters, really love the setting. Makes me want to live on a Shetland Island but I probably would not like the reality. Just let me live there in these books.
Deanna
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another solid novel in this series.

A difficult mystery to work out, as usual with the series. That’s enjoyable of course,as mystery readers enjoy being mentally engaged in the puzzle throughout the book and needing to work for it.

It also means, in this series, that the resolution at the end is lengthy and complex, and sometimes stretches credibility a little more than more direct mystery solutions.

That can be both interesting and a little less satisfying in an ending that you’d like to
Christine
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jimmy Perez and Willow Reeves are called to investigate the disappearance and murder of a woman visiting the Shetland islands for a traditional Scottish wedding reception, a hameferin. The group of old university friends were staying at a holiday cottage, when late one night Eleanor vanishes. Eleanor is found the next day murdered. Added to this mix is the supernatural story of Peerie Lizzie. Lizzie was a child in the 1920, who died by the shore and is said to be haunting the beaches. Who would ...more
Susan Johnson
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sixth book in the Shetland Island series starts with a hamefarin on the island of Unst, the northern most island in Shetland. A local boy returns home with his new wife and her English friends. A hamefarin is a homecoming that brings almost everybody on the island to the party.

Unfortunately after the party, one of the English girls is found murdered. Who could have murdered the outsider is the question of the novel. The local myth of Perrie Lizzie, a young girl found drowned many years
Tanja Berg
Rating 3.4* out of 5. Maybe this is the book in the Shetland series that I actually liked best. I still think this book suffered from the same trouble as all the others - lack of enough motivation in the perpetrators to perform the grisly crimes. It was pretty good overall though.

Six friends - three couples - come to Shetland. One set, Lowrie and Calorine, to celebrate their marriage (or the like). Then Caroline's two best friends, Polly and Eleanor, and their partners. Eleanor has her own
Linda
Nov 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ann Cleeves is an author noted for her special talent when it comes to mysteries. I believe that this is the sixth book in her Shetland series. I read Raven Black some time back and intend to pick up the others in this series as well.

The story deals with a group of friends who are attending a wedding of mutual friends on the island. All are involved in the celebration until one of them lies at the bottom of a craggy cliff the next morning. It's the usual cat and mouse, back and forth, but this
R.J. Lynch
You know with Ann Cleeves that you're going to get a well plotted story firmly grounded in what you can recognise as a real place and that is true here. I enjoyed this book. I'm not giving it the fourth star I've given some of this author's books because I found it slightly looser than her usual work and I found the denouement a little disappointing when it came because usually there'd have been little things you could look back at when you knew the killer's identity and think, "Ah, yes. Of ...more
Anne Day
Amy
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A perfect spooky summer mystery! The setting is so well written, I could feel the fog surrounding me as the characters in the novel investigate murders on an island off the coat of England.
Plum-crazy
This is book 6 in the "Shetland" & for me, nowhere near the best. It's a good read but without enough dramatic effect for my taste & while, the main characters were well written as always, (Sandy, it would appear is about to get a love life at last!), the others seemed a little lacklustre & not as credible as they could have been - nor were their relationships particularly believable. Even the Peerie Lizzie scenario didn't & really grab me.

A good read but for me ,
Jayaram Vengayil
The book is great on atmosphere and I can imagine the TV adaptation must be a visual treat. Though the narrative builds up quite nicely, it falls flat towards the end and one can almost sense the author huffing and puffing to bring the story to a tame and loosely constructed end.

The red herring is reminiscent of some other mysteries of the not so recent past but is quite in keeping with the foggy Shetland ambience. All in all, worth a read if you can't get hold of anything more interesting.
David Highton
Another murder in Shetland and Willow Reeves arrives as senior officer to join Jimmy Perez.
This felt a little strung out for me - a novel where the plot did not really need 380 pages. So not quite as good as the earlier books in the series, although I did not definitively guess the killer until it was revealed.
Lisa
A great series that never gets old even though the feel and structure of the stories are similar.

I love the way Ann Cleeves weaves the essence of Shetland (the place and it's wildlife) into these books.

I like Perez well enough (not as much as Vera Stanhope) and the mysteries are always compelling.

I don't care for the TV series but the book series is excellent.

Gisela Hafezparast
Felt this one was one of the better books in the series. What I don't like and is the condescending attitude to the junior policeman (can't recall his name right now).

I am a fan of the BBC series. However, what makes me mad is that Jimmy Perez throughout the series is always described as a dark haired man with a Portuguese complexion and his background is important. So why did the film makers look a "typically Scottish" looking actor (who is a good actor)! Annoying.
Mandy
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First time I have nearly guessed who did it. Another enjoyable and addictive read by Ann Cleeves.
Becky Loader
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best Shetland mystery so far!

A hamfarin' on Shetland welcomes a newly-married couple back to the islands. Unfortunately, two murders come, too. I loved the complex set-up of the two English couples and how they are out of their element on the islands. Jimmy and Willow have taken Sandy under their wings, and they all work to figure out the mystery.

Oh, and there is a great ghost: Peerie Lizzie.
Saucy Wenches Boo...: * Thin Air [January-February 2020] 1 1 Nov 03, 2019 05:22PM
Play Book Tag: Thin Air by Ann Cleeves - 4 stars 1 11 Jun 30, 2018 05:21PM

• A Better Man (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #15)
  • A Bitter Feast (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #18)
  • The Stone Circle (Ruth Galloway, #11)
  • Big Sky (Jackson Brodie, #5)
  • The Outcast Dead (Ruth Galloway, #6)
  • Kingdom of the Blind (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #14)
  • The Janus Stone (Ruth Galloway, #2)
  • The Ghost Fields (Ruth Galloway, #7)
  • The Dark Angel (Ruth Galloway, #10)
  • A Dying Fall (Ruth Galloway, #5)
  • The Stranger Diaries
  • A Room Full of Bones (Ruth Galloway, #4)
  • The Crossing Places (Ruth Galloway, #1)
  • The House at Sea's End (Ruth Galloway, #3)
  • The Woman in Blue (Ruth Galloway, #8)
  • Wioska kłamców
  • The Chalk Pit (Ruth Galloway, #9)
  • Punainen vaate (Salome Virta, #3)
Ann is the author of the books behind ITV's VERA, now in it's third series, and the BBC's SHETLAND, which will be aired in December 2012. Ann's DI Vera Stanhope series of books is set in Northumberland and features the well loved detective along with her partner Joe Ashworth. Ann's Shetland series bring us DI Jimmy Perez, investigating in the mysterious, dark, and beautiful Shetland Islands...

Ann

Shetland Island (8 books)
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
  • White Nights (Shetland Island, #2)
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
  • Blue Lightning (Shetland Island, #4)
  • Dead Water (Shetland Island, #5)
  • Cold Earth (Shetland Island, #7)
  • Wild Fire (Shetland Island, #8)
“like everything, sanity came more easily with practice.” 3 likes
“They think of themselves as your grandparents,’ he said. But call them whatever you like. James and Mary?” 2 likes