Start by marking “Big Weed: An Entrepreneur's High-Stakes Adventures in the Budding Legal Marijuana Business” as Want to Read:

Marijuana legalization is the hottest story in the US today. 22 states have authorized sales in some form; Denver has more legal marijuana dispensaries than Starbucks franchises. We are witnessing the dawn of a new industry. And like the early days of gourmet coffee chains, the rules and players are being established on the fly.

Christian Hageseth is the face of the revolut
Published April 21st 2015 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Big Weed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Weed

Jason Schneeberger
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book from St. Martin's Press for an honest review. The official release date is April 21st 2015

My toking days are long behind me, but I have always been a huge supporter of not only medicinal marijuana legalization, but also on a recreational level as well. When Colorado voters cleared the path for recreational use in 2014, it was a landmark moment in our country's history - a moment that millions longed to see. Christian Hageseth was at the forefront of this waging battle, runn
Socraticgadfly
Interesting, and self-promotional, and either naive or arrogant in one spot.

Hageseth, through his personal tour of his move from failed/overexposed real estate commodities speculator to self-described "ganjapreneur," gives a decent overview of the business of legal marijuana in Colorado.

He gives even more of an overview of himself as an entrepreneur. Read the book and listen to the man sell *his ideas* for marijuana, etc.

I probably could have done without some of the new agey type references, es
Tara
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am not a 'smoker' however, I am an investor and the growth and opportunities opening from the weed industry has been on my radar for years. I have read a few books (mostly skimmed) on the subject. Most works were poorly constructed and just plain boring (I very rarely use this word). Hageseth has put together a very insightful and comprehensive business biography on his three plus year journey into uncharted mj trade. Examples include the challenges of banking LEGALLY, allowable amount of plan ...more
Mandee Seeley
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Green Man was actually the first dispensary I ever visited on a trip to Colorado last summer. I wasn't impressed with them simply because of whoever was budtending that day. Now that I've read this book, I want to give them another chance.

This book is all about Christian's journey to opening Green Man. As a future ganjapreneur myself, I found his story inspiring. He talks about how he got into the industry and how he dealt with the naysayers. He also offers advice to future industry newcomers.
Jennifer K.
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As my team and I enter the Cannabis industry it is nice to find like-minded people who have forged the road ahead of us. As well as having the same thoughts and plan, we've made some of the same mistakes. This book is a must-read for anyone in the industry.
Katrina Haffner
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
While browsing the library, I came upon this book, and being a drug policy activist who is unfamiliar with the business side of marijuana (other than, ya know, being the customer at 502 stores in WA), I decided to give this a read.

To be honest, I'm not sure what I was expecting. It was different from what I saw on the cover, and after I read through the book, I think I figured out what was going on. Technically, what's talked about on the cover is explored in the writing. I think what made the c
Hazel
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
interesting from a business startup point of view and also interesting from a point of view on how society views the marijuana industry even in states/cities its perfectly legal in. Some good history lessons in this book for people who don't know a lot about why society is so closed off from 'the big weed'. Hopefully this book is a gateway into opening a lot of peoples eyes. Mind you, it doesn't help that it was written by a huge stoner kind of... probably quite off putting for anybody opposed t ...more
Julie  Capell
Mildly interesting account of the early years of marijuana legalization in Colorado. The most interesting stuff to me was how, despite the business of selling medical marijuana being legal in Colorado, the author could not find a bank to manage his money. They were afraid to get involved because they were all national banks and marijuana was still legal at the federal level. So he was forced to operate a multi-million dollar business using cash only. That is just crazy.
Jonathan Kramer
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it
A well written book telling the story of a true pioneer in the industry; one who's intention is strong as his will to succeed. It's fun, illuminating and inspiring for those dipping their toes into the industry.
Joey Sudmeier
Aug 06, 2017 rated it liked it
A very good intro for the legal marijuana industry. It categorizes weed in a similar way that wine is; and after reading I feel like it's appropriate to say marijuana is to potheads as wine is to drunks.
Matt
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
My one takeaway quote:

"Businesspeople like to brag that they're all about taking risks. But so much of their time is spent minimizing risk. Say that young people followed the musts upon graduation. In six years' time, where would they be?"

- C. Hageseth
Mike
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Seems like this might be the time
Cameron Dansie
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great story of a marijuana entrepreneur. Highlights the risks and rewards of the marijuana industry from a business owners perspective. Brief introduction into medicinal properties and history.
Cynthia
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
"Big Weed" is an enjoyable and educational book Hageseth is a marijuana enthusiast as well as a savvy businessman. In this book he presents his journey of creating a marijuana farm based on his knowledge of how our markets work. His background is in real estate but when that market crashed he needed to find another venture. He discusses how his wife (now ex-wife) felt ambivalent about both his choice of the new Colorado laws surrounding this drug and his choice to continue as an entrepreneur rat ...more
Anthony Cortese
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who is interested in cannabis culture
Big weed is the story of Christian Hageseth, a Colorado legal cannabis baron. The book chronicles the story of his companies (Green Man Cannabis) rise to the top of the legal marijuana business as well as his predictions on the possible futures legal weed will take.

When I received an advance copy of this in the mail, I had my doubts about it. I'm a glass pipe maker by trade and life long cannabis devotee and so the industry (as well as its future) interests me to no end. The issue arises when on
David Ward
Nov 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Big Weed: An Entrepreneur's High-Stakes Adventure in the Budding Legal Marijuana Business by Christian Hageseth (Palgrave MacMillan Trade 2015) ( 381.41). This is a most interesting take on the status of the legal marijuana industry in the U.S. in 2015. After twenty years as an entrepreneur in the mainstream corporate world, the author founded Green Man Cannabis, which is a grower of medical and recreational marijuana in the Colorado market. Though illegal on the federal level, almost half of th ...more
Arianna
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I recieved this book as a Goodreads First Read.

Big Weed is an exciting, fast tale of capitalist struggle and success. I was distracted by some tonal shifts--sometimes Hageseth talks business, sometimes he tells personal stories, sometimes he takes an activist tone. For example, did you know that marijuana was first outlawed to limit its usage by Mexican laborers, under the thought that it might cause them to act erratically and violently? Hageseth knows, and the fact is shocking. But several pag
Reading
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Engaging and informative overview of the incredible changes taking place in the world of marijuana cultivation, sales and legal issues with a particular emphasis on all things business related. Not so much a "how to" more of a "how did I". It's inspiring and entertaining largely because the author shares his personal journey and genuinely seems to have had quite the transformation. If he is to be believed and trusted then the future of craft, quality marijuana is in reasonably good hands as he a ...more
Linda Johnson
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I rec'd this book from Goodreads First Reads and had to LOL when it came in the mail. I found this book to be both educational and interesting. It has been many years since I smoked weed, but I have always strongly felt that weed should not only be legal for medicinal purposes but for recreational purposes as well. To me there is no comparison between a natural herb that grows in the ground and alcohol or narcotic pain relievers. The fact that there are more legal marijuana dispensaries in Denve ...more
Kimberly
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book through Goodreads First Reads.

I live in Washington state, where we have legal recreational marijuana, and the town I live in has its first marijuana shop. I liked the idea of seeing what the business is like from the other side. I found this book informative and interesting. It flowed well and I learned about parts of the legal marijuana business that I didn’t know. The author obviously has a bias but I thought he did a good job of not preaching too much and trying to educat
Dawn Obrien
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow!!! I received this book from Good Reads First Reads Giveaway. I am so glad that I did. This book is absolutely amazing. What a wonderful and charismatic man.
I live in Oregon where marijuana is currently legal for recreational use. I learned so much from this book. So educational but yet so exciting to read. What an inspiration this book has been. This man should be so proud but yet is so real. A must read for all types.
As you read this book you feel as if you are walking through this exper
Mike
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a lawyer who advises cannabusinesses and supervises attorneys that do, I was really interested in what this pioneer of the industry had to say. His tips were made in story form which made the book really fun. I listened to it on audible and would have appreciated a professional voice actor rather than the author. Don't get me wrong -- Christian is obviously a professional speaker and had high quality audio but it was a little distracting at times. In fact this book is the reason I hired a pro ...more
Debbie
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
While there is nothing earth shattering here if you've been following legalization issues, Big Weed is a quick, entertaining read. There are some basic business ideas that could apply in any entrepreneurial enterprise.

I would recommend this more for people who are simply curious and want a peek behind the curtain. For anyone seriously looking for resources to start a grow operation or other marijuana-related business, you'll want to look elsewhere.
Alex Devero
Jul 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Author is proposing that the push to legalize marijuana will continue to evolve in the United States. Today, the public’s perception of marijuana culture is different than before; law enforcement too is grappling with new attitudes and newer laws. As marijuana becomes a serious and legal business opportunity, society may take a more accepting and constructive look at how to market and use the drug responsibly.
Greg Turnbull
A good starting point for understanding the changes Canada is facing as we move towards legalization of marijuana.
Nancy
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this from a Goodreads giveaway.
A very enjoyable book. Though I have lived here in CO all my life and voted yes to every Pot ballot issue, I no longer partake. I agree with the authors premise that the easing of Marijuana laws is a good thing for society. The biggest take for me is that the Cannabis Ranch is located a few miles from me and I can't wait to see what music artists will be performing.
Darcee Kraus
Shelves: first-reads, my-books
I won this novel in the First Reads giveaway! I love learning about the new hemp industry and legal marijuana's steps to being integrated into the average American life. Christian Hageseth is a huge name in the industry, I have heard many good and otherwise interesting things about this influential man and it was fun for me to find out his journey to success. I enjoyed this novel greatly.
Nicholas
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: goodreads-win
Goodreads win. Will read and review once received.

This is definitely worth the read. It is a very well written book. I thought it to be interesting to see a side of the marijuana business. Definitely an interesting read that I could see myself reading again in the future. It took about a day to read it. i found it hard to set the book down. Would recommend to anyone and everyone.
Gina
I received this book as a first read. It was an interesting look at Colorado's transition to legalized marijuana use. It looked at the complexities involved with starting a weed business, banking, police, investors, family, public perception, etc. This would be a great read for people living in states that are considering legalization.
Fiana
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I got this book as part of a giveaway. I recommend that everyone read this book, no matter what their view on marijuana. The book was very enlightening, informational, and it opened my mind. It was interesting to read about the progression of an entrepreneur and the book read like it was a long lost friend telling you their life story. Overall, it was an easy read and extremely eye opening.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Brand Mapping Strategy: Design, Build, and Accelerate Your Brand
  • The Kickstarter Handbook: Real-Life Success Stories of Artists, Inventors, and Entrepreneurs
  • The Crowdfunding Bible: How to Raise Money for Any Startup, Video Game or Project
  • The Power Makers: Steam, Electricity, and the Men Who Invented Modern America
  • Bigger Than This: How to Turn Any Venture Into An Admired Brand
  • The Partnership: The Making of Goldman Sachs
  • Total Focus: Make Better Decisions Under Pressure
  • The Cheat Code: Going Off Script to Get More and Go Faster
  • Be Like Amazon: Even a Lemonade Stand Can Do It
  • The Fintech Book: The Financial Technology Handbook for Investors, Entrepreneurs and Visionaries
  • Overhaul: An Insider's Account of the Obama Administration's Emergency Rescue of the Auto Industry
  • Matsushita Leadership
  • SUPERHUBS: How the Financial Elite and their Networks Rule Our World
  • Dream Year: Make the Leap from a Job You Hate to a Life You Love
  • Conversations with Millionaires: What Millionaires Do to Get Rich, That You Never Learned about in School!
  • Brazen Careerist: The New Rules for Success