Start by marking “After the Storm (Kate Burkholder, #7)” as Want to Read:
After the Storm (Kate Burkholder, #7)

After the Storm

(Kate Burkholder #7)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  10,140 ratings  ·  1,068 reviews
In this electrifying thriller by New York Times bestseller Linda Castillo, Kate Burkholder must uncover a family's long-hidden past to solve a brutal murder

When a tornado tears through Painters Mill and unearths human remains, Chief of Police Kate Burkholder finds herself tasked with the responsibility of identifying the bones--and notifying the family. Evidence quickly em
Published July 14th 2015 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about After the Storm, please sign up.
Linda Castillo Hi Dianne--Apologies for the late reply. I’ve been on deadline and fell behind on just about everything. In any case I wanted to respond to your quest…moreHi Dianne--Apologies for the late reply. I’ve been on deadline and fell behind on just about everything. In any case I wanted to respond to your question. I did some investigating and looked at the original manuscript. The age of Frieda Kaufman is my mistake. In the early stages of the book, I played around with the timeline and I forgot to adjust the age of the character accordingly. Apologies for the slip! I hope it didn’t detract too much from your enjoyment of the book. I talked with my publisher, btw, and they’re going to correct the paperback edition. So thank you for bringing this to my attention.(less)

·  10,140 ratings  ·  1,068 reviews

Start your review of After the Storm (Kate Burkholder, #7)
Kaceey
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I love most about this series is the highly unusual mix of Amish culture with a very good murder mystery. A great taste of both.

Kate Burkholder is the Chief of Police in a small Ohio town surrounded by Amish communities. Born Amish, she left her family, religion and lifestyle to live among the English. As Chief of Police she is frequently called back to the Amish community for various reasons. (for a loving, peaceful community, there sure is a crazy amount of crime!).

"The Amish have all
Thomas
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars for another entertaining mystery set in rural Northeastern Ohio. Kate Burkholder is the chief of police in fictional Painters Mill, Ohio. A tornado rips through the town and surrounding area. A body is discovered while cleaning up debris at an abandoned hog farm. Since there are remains of a garbage bag with the bones, the death looks suspicious. Kate starts asking questions, trying to find out what happened. She arouses hostility in the community and is twice attacked. While there are c ...more
Barbara
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it

In this 7th book in the 'Kate Burkholder' series, the Police Chief is threatened by a stalker as she tries to solve a murder. The book can be read as a standalone, but familiarity with the series is beneficial.

*****

A ferocious tornado rips through Painters Mill, Ohio causing damage and fatalities.

Two consequences of the tornado are especially relevant to Chief of Police Kate Burkholder. First, Kate rescues a baby from a crumpled trailer. The baby later dies and the parents blame Kate.

Second, t
Diane S ☔
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
The book starts with a tornado and a big storm, will it be a direct hit or a near miss? A trailer park is hit and all but destroyed, very strange since a trailer park near my sons house in our state, Illinois, was hit by a tornado a few weeks back and almost totally destroyed. Found this coincidence chilling.

There are other mysteries out there featuring the Amish but I love this one. The character of Katie, who is the sheriff and a member of the Amish at one time. She left the church but her fa
Jim
This has become one of my favorite series. Kate Burkholder is the Chief of Police in the small Ohio town of Painters Mill. Kate was raised Amish but left when she was young. She was hired as Chief of Police because of her ability to bridge the gap between the Amish and the English. It helps to a degree. Some in the Amish community haven't forgiven or forgotten Kate left the faith. In addition to terrific stories the reader gets to learn a lot about the Amish.

This story opens with Kate and her bo
Liz
Nov 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent police procedural with the biggest mystery being what will happen between Kate and Tomasetti. The ending on this book was not as strong as usual, in that one story line sort of trailed off and wasn’t fully resolved. Once again, there are some extremely graphic scenes that could bother some readers. I listened to this book and the narrator did an excellent job.
Susanne  Strong
May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.85 Stars

After a Tornado tears through Painters Mill, human remains are unearthed. A buried secret. Bones that are determined to be thirty (30) years old. Figuring out who they belong to is Chief Kate Burkholder’s job. Someone however, doesn’t like the fact that Kate is sticking her nose where it doesn’t belong and they’d like to shut her up any way they can, no matter how dangerous the situation.

Feeling pressure personally in her relationship with Tomasetti and professionally in her job as Chi
Brenda
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Tension builds quickly in this book with a tornado on the ground and headed Kate's way. In the aftermath, there are more storms brewing in Kate's life, both professionally and personally. The Kesters are out for blood and money, a human skeleton is found, someone wants Kate dead, and then there's Tomasetti.

This was a great addition to the Kate Burkholder series, and I enjoyed it a whole lot more than the last book. Most of us have only seen pictures of the devastation left in the wake of a torna
Brenda
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The tornado that hit Painters Mill and the surrounding area was one of the biggest in a long time – Chief of Police Kate Burkholder knew there were likely to be fatalities. The trailer park was particularly hard hit – the small Painters Mill police department was stretched to its limits. But when the call came in to Kate that a group of Boy Scouts who were cleaning up at an Amish property out of town had unearthed a human skull, she had no idea the direction the discovery would take her.

The evi
Carla Johnson-Hicks
This is the seventh book in the Kate Burkholder series, but the first that I read. All I can say is that I need to go back and start this series from the beginning. I really enjoyed this book. Kate is the police chief in the little town of Painters Mill, Ohio. She was raised in an Amish community but left the community to go to college and become a police officer. She speaks Pennsylvania Dutch so is able to speak and understand the Amish when they are involved in an investigation.

The book starts
Sherri Thacker
This is book #7 in the Kate Burkholder series and I really enjoyed it! From the first page to the last. Much better than #6 IMO and I’m glad of that since I love this whole series!
Jeannie
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I love this series! Each book gets better. This book had a lot more detail about Amish life which I think is interesting. I love the relationship between Kate and Tomasetti. Plenty of suspence to kept me reading late into the night with this book also.
I am getting attached to the characters. I hope their story continues.
Juli
The Kate Burkholder series is one of my favorites. Kate is the police chief in Painters Mill, OH. She grew up Amish but left the faith as a teenager after a traumatizing event. She walks the line between the Amish population of the county and the "Englishers'' as best she can, still feeling the sting of being chastised or even shunned for leaving the Amish way.

After the Storm is the 7th book in the series. A tornado touches down in the county. It destroys a trailer park and injures or kills sev
Jean
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
After the Storm, the title of Linda Castillo’s seventh Kate Burkholder mystery thriller, may be somewhat of a misnomer. This captivating caper is beset with one tempest after another.

The trouble begins when Painters Mill’s police chief Kate Burkholder brings BCI Agent John Tomasetti to an Amish family gathering at her brother Jacob’s farm. Because Kate left the Amish soon after her Rumspringa and is “living in sin” with Tomasetti, her family sharply disapproves of her choices. The tension is bro
S.W. Hubbard
Jul 21, 2015 rated it liked it
I really wanted to love this book. Many mystery fans whose opinions I respect love Linda Castillo, and I had never read her work. After reading a glowing review of After the Storm, I decided to take the plunge. The novel starts with an exciting Prologue in which a young girl witnesses a gruesome crime. Then it continues with a sort of Prologue Part II, written from another point of view, in which the entire motivation for the crime becomes quite apparent. Then, once I knew the motivation and met ...more
Maureen DeLuca
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sworn to Silence was the first book in this series- a 5 star read- now after reading number 7 - another 5 star read - and books 2-6 all pretty much 5 and 4 star reads. This series keeps getting better and better. For those of you who never picked up a Kate Burkholder series book... you are missing out- I highly recommend staring with the first book and then just sit back, read, and enjoy the ride.

A police procedure book with an Amish twist to it. Don't let the Amish part throw you..... I can on
Lyndsay
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Quick, enjoyable read. Although Kate's recklessness is now detracting from the story rather than enhancing it. And when is she going to start calling Tomasetti by his first name? ...more
Judy
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I continue to enjoy this series. It is difficult for me to tear myself from the book. So this is another great mystery along with the continuing love relationship that flounders from time to time.
Julia Ce
This is the 7th installment of the authors "Kate Burkholder" series

Kate Burkholder is Chief of Police of small town Painters Mill OH. After a tornado rips through the town, human bones are found in the clean up of an old barn that was destroyed in the storm. In trying to identify the remains, Kate finds evidence that points to foul play as possible cause of death. She finds herself becoming becomes embroiled in a 30 year old case with suspects in the Amish community where she once belonged.

In ad
Rebecca
While I could have done without some of the graphic details, this was another riveting installment. Kate and Tomasetti are all consuming, and I just love this world.
Jess☺️
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
After the storm is book 7 in the Kate Burkholder series and I'm on a roll I like the mix of normal (whatever normal is ) town and the Amish community.
I also like that you can never really see what's coming even when you think you've worked it out, also you get to see a little more with each book about Kate and Tomasetti private lives together as it's not the main point of the books the crime and solving it is.
Brandy
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A storm is brewing in the small, quaint town of Painters Mill. Tension is running high and murder lights up the pages in Castillo’s read - After the Storm. When bones are unearthed in the aftermath of a deadly tornado, Chief of police Kate Burkholder, is faced with investigating a homicide. Who’s bones are they? Who’s hiding the secrets to unlock this mystery? 4 stars ❤️❤️
Pamela
Tricia
Dec 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the Kate Burkholder series. Kate is a solid, smart police chief and directs her team with caution and care. The plots in the series have been interesting and always keep me reading. After the Storm is no different. After the storm is fast-paced and I wasn't sure how this would end but I wasn't disappointed. I can't wait to continue the series. ...more
Robin
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, mystery
When a tornado rips through the small town of Painters Mill, a skeleton is unearthed. Police Chief Kate Burkholder must ascertain the identity of the man and piece together what exactly caused his death. As evidence is gathered, Kate discovers that the death was not an accident. While investigating the case, someone takes a shot at her. With someone trying to kill her, Kate has a thirty-year-old murder on her hands that she needs to solve.

This is another solid addition to the Kate Burkholder ser
ShoSho
I liked the mystery and murder investigation. What I didn't like was (view spoiler) ...more
Char29
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another very good book by this author, a bit graphic but murders can be that. I love the Kate B and Tomasedy characters.
Wendy
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this 7th book in the Kate Burkholder series!!!
Maggie61
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
One of my favourite Linda Castillo's novels to date. A solid 4 1/2. It doesn't have a lot of surprises but it's a good grilling mystery/thriller with a touch of heartbreak. ...more
Tammie
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When a tornado tears through Painters Mill and unearths human remains, Chief of Police Kate Burkholder finds herself tasked with the responsibility of identifying the bones--Kate digs deep into the case only to discover proof of an unimaginable atrocity, a plethora of family secrets and the lengths to which people will go to protect their own.

Talk about horrific deaths. I thought I had read just about every kind of horrible death there could be, but nope, this book included yet another one. Le

• Sex, Drugs, and Working Moms
  • Butterfly Kills (Stonechild and Rouleau, #2)
  • The Silent Wife (Will Trent, #10)
  • Der Totenleser
  • Before She Disappeared
  • Daylight (Atlee Pine, #3)
  • Cold Mourning (Stonechild and Rouleau, #1)
  • Let Me Go (Eva Rae Thomas Mystery #5)
  • Broken English (Ohio Amish Mystery, #2)
  • Plain Murder (An Amish Mystery #1)
  • Cast A Blue Shadow (Ohio Amish Mystery, #4)
  • Raum der Angst
  • Missing and Endangered (Joanna Brady #19)
  • Credible Threat (Ali Reynolds, #15)
  • The Russian (Michael Bennett #13)
  • 20th Victim (Women's Murder Club, #20)
  • Løgn i din hals: En Hvid  Belling-krimi
  • Fortune and Glory (Stephanie Plum, #27)
Linda Castillo is the New York Times bestselling author of the Kate Burkholder series, including Sworn to Silence and Gone Missing, crime thrillers set in Amish country. Sworn to Silence was recently adapted into a Lifetime original movie titled An Amish Murder starring Neve Campbell as Kate Burkholder.

Castillo is the recipient of numerous industry awards, including the Daphne du Maurier Award of

Kate Burkholder (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Sworn to Silence (Kate Burkholder, #1)
  • Pray for Silence (Kate Burkholder, #2)
  • Breaking Silence (Kate Burkholder, #3)
  • Gone Missing (Kate Burkholder, #4)
  • Her Last Breath (Kate Burkholder, #5)
  • The Dead Will Tell (Kate Burkholder, #6)
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
  • Down a Dark Road (Kate Burkholder, #9)
  • A Gathering of Secrets (Kate Burkholder, #10)
  • Shamed (Kate Burkholder, #11)