Start by marking “Lord of the Wings (Meg Langslow, #19)” as Want to Read:
Lord of the Wings (Meg Langslow, #19)

Lord of the Wings

(Meg Langslow #19)

A new side-splitting Meg Langslow mystery from award–winning, New York Times bestselling author of The Good, The Bad, and The Emus.

The brilliantly funny Donna Andrews delivers another winner in the acclaimed avian-themed series that mystery readers have come to love. The nineteenth book in her New York Times best-selling series continues to surprise and delight in this nex
Published August 4th 2015 by Minotaur Books (first published July 7th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Lord of the Wings, please sign up.

Start your review of Lord of the Wings (Meg Langslow, #19)
Justin Tate
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Was in the mood for something light and silly and this delivered! A little long, perhaps, but the writing was charming and the situations were expectedly humorous. Haven't read anything else in this series but i could see myself trying another at some point.
LibraryReads
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: august-2015
“It’s Halloween in Caerphilly and the town has come up with another festival to bring in the tourists. Meg Langslow is heading up the “Goblin Patrol”, there’s trouble at the Haunted House, and body parts are being found at the zoo. Meg is once again called in to save the day and solve the crime. If you enjoy your mysteries packed with humor and fun, don’t miss this return to Caerphilly with Meg and her zany family and friends.”

Karen Emery, Johnson County Public Library, Franklin, IN
Ellen
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-books, hoopla
I'm starting to think of myself as a relative of Meg's and wanting to go and visit her!
Kathy Davie
Oct 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Nineteenth in the Meg Langslow amateur sleuth mystery series and revolving around Meg, a mother and blacksmith in the town of Caerphilly, Virginia.

My Take
I usually enjoy Andrews' writing, and Lord of the Wings was missing something. I suspect that all the focus on the Halloween activities in town was my problem, as there wasn't much focus on the family. It's the family that I adore the most. Dad is so pushy when it comes to doing his doctor-thing, and if he can combine it with solving a mystery…
Grey853
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: holiday, mystery
Kelly Shand
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I wait for Donna Andrews' books like a kid waiting for summer. I enjoy getting to catch up with Meg and her zany family. I love the humor and the scenarios.

This one is a new favorite. It's the first one that she's set at Halloween. There have been other Christmas themes and a few summer ones, but Halloween is a great setting.

It's the first annual Halloween festival in Caerphilly and this time instead of organizing the whole thing, Meg is running the security force known as the 'Goblin Patrol'.
Betty
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Halloween Antics In Caerphilly

A visit to Caerphilly and the Langslows is always amusing. This book does not disappoint. It is Halloween in Caerphilly and the town is hosting a Halloween festival. Rob and his company, Mutant Wizard are featured. Dr. Smoot is in all his glory with the Haunted House. Meg and Michael are on Goblin Patrol as someone is leaving fake body parts around. Grandfather has a group of Ravens following him. A stranger' s body is found in the Haunted House. He was shot with th
Susan
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: murder-virginia
Caerphilly, VA tries to raise some much needed cash by holding a Halloween festival, and for once Meg Langslow isn't running things. The mayor has hired an assistant, who is in charge. But she disappears in the middle of the book, so Meg shoulders the burden, including the two mysterious deaths and the strange scavenger hunt that is disrupting things. There's not quite as much about Meg's family, as the three-day festival takes virtually all her time and energy.
❂ Murder by Death
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
A great one to get you into the halloween spirit; it's chock full of vampires and zombies and haunted houses. Best of all the crazy-eccentric characters that make this series stand out among the rest.

Wordier review: http://jenn.booklikes.com/post/127354...
Linda
Sep 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable read from Donna Andrews who does a first-rate job of getting clues to her amateur sleuth via perfectly plausible means. Love the characters and look forward to reading another in the series.
Kelsey
Sep 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, mystery, dnf
I'm sorry if this review is messy, but I had to write in on my phone.

I only made it to chapter 5 before calling it quits on this book. It's very disappointing because I was really looking forward to reading it, but it's just not the book for me.

I absolutely hate the character of Meg. She thinks very highly of herself, and seems to be annoyed with everyone who, in her opinion, does something "wrong," which means they don't do it the way she would have done it. She used to be a volunteer, but no
Mary Ann
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
The town of Caerphilly, VA is hosting a Halloween event that is family friendly during daylight hours and for adults during the evening hours. Randall Shiffley hired a young woman, Lydia, to run the event and Meg was volunteered to lead the Goblin Brigade. The Goblin Brigade is the nickname for the liaisons between the police and tourists and the locals. But Meg is being run ragged, still putting out fires all over the place. Dr. Smoot's house/haunted house/museum was broken into, but nothing ap ...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Caerphilly, PA is having their first Halloween Festival and be ready for a reading marathon filled with laughter, wonderful descriptions, unique and rememberable characters, witty dialog, and murders most foul.

If you get hungry you can visit the Baptists for their fried chicken meals, or the Catholics for their fried fish meals, or the Episcopalians for their Ham dinners, among the street foods offered.

What is there to do? Well, The Fun Fair, Outside Concerts, The Haunted House and the Zoo, wit
Brena Chan
Oct 05, 2015 rated it liked it
This should not be the first book you read in this series. The amazing relationships between many of the characters are relied on instead of developed. Overall, the novel felt disjointed and not as smooth flowing as previous in the series. The biggest negative of this book was the sub-plot with the (view spoiler) We read this book for Meg and don't need her toned down. I love M ...more
Mark Baker
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, mystery
The town of Caerphilly is hosting the first annual Halloween festival, and Meg is hoping she can take it easy since she is only in charge of the Goblin Patrol, the extra volunteer security force. However, a break in at the haunted house, a foot in the alligators, and a dead body complicate matters.

I love this series, and this book is another fun addition. When I realized it was set at Halloween, I almost set it aside until October, but I just couldn’t wait. The characters are strong and charming
Meg
Sep 25, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I still enjoy spending time with Meg and her friends and extensive family. But I am having a harder time with the "small town hijinks". Caerphilly, Virginia is small enough that everyone knows everyone else, and most folks are related to each other one way or another. It has at least 3 churches (Presbyterian, Episcopal, and Baptist). It has a hospital and a college, but no other visible means of support. Yet they pull off week-long festivals, which Meg has organized in the past. This ...more
MAB  LongBeach
May 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Another fun entry in the long-running Meg Langslow series. It is late October, and Caerphilly is having its first annual Halloween festival. For once, Meg doesn't have to organize the whole thing, because the mayor has hired an event coordinator. Only she's not working out all that well....

A twisted scavenger hunt, role-playing vampires, and Dr. Smoot's odd town museum keep things hopping. Then someone follows up the scavengers' fake body parts with a real body. Eeeek!

This is probably not the be
Susan Ferguson
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, nook-owned, 2018
Meg is trying to manage Halloween, juggling between the town's celebration where she is in charge of the 'Goblin Patrol' which is handling the problems with visitors (visitor relations) and with her twins and their demands for costumes, etc. Her brother Rob is still living on the third floor of her house and her cousin Rose Noir is still living at her house as well. But the house is so big that it's not a problem. Then a problem starts with people trying to break into her grandfather's zoo - the ...more
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another fine Meg Langslow story by Donna Andrews. It's Halloween and the town is abuzz with all the Haunted Houses and fairs going on to celebrate the holiday weekend. Tourists are everywhere, and soon there's mischief afoot - and a murder.

This series never seems to grow old or stale. You can read them out of order and not be lost. There were a few seemingly separate stories going on at the same time, and they all nicely pulled together at the end. I had no clue who was behind all that was goin
Jill
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, library-books
This book is # 19 in a series. It could stand alone, but I think it is more fun to read in order so you have a good understanding of how the characters work together and which ones are related to each other. Join the crazy life of Meg and Micheal and their 6 year old Twins as Halloween is being celebrated. Of Course a body or two enters the story and Meg goes about trying to solve the mystery and motive. I thought for sure I had it all figured out, but one more twist was added. This is a series ...more
Ann
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I always enjoy Meg Langslow books. They make you laugh and use your brain to keep up with Meg and her family solving their current case. It's Halloween in Caerphilly, VA and the town is going all out to celebrate. When they find a dead body at the zoo and have a fire in the haunted museum it's time to solve the crimes before someone, mainly Meg, get hurt. A great cozy, smoothly written and a joy to read. Can't wait for #20.
Sherry
Nov 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: library, mystery
“It’s Halloween in Caerphilly and the town has come up with another festival to bring in the tourists."

My Take:

This wasn't my favorite book in the series. It could have been titled, "Two Murders Nobody Really Cares About Are Accidentally Solved While Meg Does Halloween." Sadly, Meg didn't seem to enjoy Halloween this year. I thought this book lacked the charm of the early books that pulled me in and made me want to read more about Meg and her family.
Lizzytish
It's Halloween and a town wide festival is happening. Body parts, vampires, and a haunted house all play into the mystery and zaniness of Meg's life and hunt for a killer.
Meredith VanOordt
Cute.
Jonathan
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: overdrive-tbr
As always with this series; superb.
Cyn Mcdonald
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Further adventures of Meg's extended family as Caerphilly celebrates the Halloween Festival. Light and fun, but I am noticing that it is very hard to guess the villain in these books.
Carole Hardinge
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I find Donna Andrews books an amusing change of pace after reading a more violent book. Love the supporting cast of characters.
Pam
Mar 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
I'm returning this to the library unfinished. It was too boring to continue. Absurd situations, many characters, all over the place. Couldn't find any humor.
S
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Absolute chore to read. Town name is ridiculous, everyone is handily a relative of everyone else, the festival junk was noisy clutter.
Won’t be reading her again any time soon.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Pumpkin Spice Peril (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #12)
  • The Diva Spices It Up (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #13)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Summer King (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #20)
  • The Grim Reader (Bibliophile Mystery, #14)
  • The Diva Haunts the House (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #5)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Buried Treasure (Aunt Dimity Mystery #21)
  • Claw Enforcement (Second Chance Cat Mystery #7)
  • The Diva Frosts a Cupcake (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #7)
  • The Diva Cooks a Goose (A Domestic Diva Mystery,  #4)
  • Murder on a Mystery Tour
  • A Taste for Murder (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #1)
  • Game of Dog Bones (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 25)
  • The Diva Steals a Chocolate Kiss (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #9)
  • Buried to the Brim (Hat Shop Mystery, #6)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Wishing Well (Aunt Dimity Mystery #19)
  • Dying for Devil's Food (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #11)
  • Word to the Wise (Library Lover's Mystery, #10)
  • The Pawful Truth (Cat in the Stacks #11)
Donna Andrews was born in Yorktown, Virginia, the setting of Murder with Peacocks and Revenge of the Wrought Iron Flamingos, and now lives and works in Reston, Virginia. When not writing fiction, Andrews is a self-confessed nerd, rarely found away from her computer, unless she's messing in the garden

Meg Langslow (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Murder With Peacocks (Meg Langslow, #1)
  • Murder With Puffins (Meg Langslow, #2)
  • Revenge of the Wrought-Iron Flamingos (Meg Langslow, #3)
  • Crouching Buzzard, Leaping Loon (Meg Langslow, #4)
  • We'll Always Have Parrots (Meg Langslow, #5)
  • Owls Well That Ends Well (Meg Langslow, #6)
  • No Nest for the Wicket (Meg Langslow, #7)
  • The Penguin Who Knew Too Much (Meg Langslow, #8)
  • Cockatiels at Seven (Meg Langslow, #9)
  • Six Geese A-Slaying (Meg Langslow, #10)