Start by marking “Agents of the Internet Apocalypse” as Want to Read:
Agents of the Internet Apocalypse

Agents of the Internet Apocalypse

(Internet Apocalypse #2)

A sharp-tongued social satire of a dystopian world without the Web from Cracked.com writer Wayne Gladstone

Gladstone, the so-called “Internet Messiah,” has not only failed to bring back the Web, but his search has landed him in a New York City psychiatric ward. The rest of the world isn't doing so well either. The economy continues to suffer, further stoking the discontent
Published July 21st 2015 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about Agents of the Internet Apocalypse, please sign up.
Shannon The fact is that after the character left the mental hospital after a two month stay. He did not tell his ex wife he would be coming to her home…moreThe fact is that after the character left the mental hospital after a two month stay. He did not tell his ex wife he would be coming to her home unannounced, which is the definition of "popping in". Yes I am aware the book is not an autobiography but you do share the same name. (less)

Maura
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are many apocalypses to fear-religious, zombie, nuclear-but to my knowledge only author Wayne Gladstone’s books imagine what is, to many of us online junkies, the scariest kind: an internet apocalypse. As Agents of the Internet Apocalypse begins, our eponymous hero Gladstone, formerly dubbed the Internet Messiah, is being held in a mental institution. After the internet seems to momentarily return, Gladstone is released and sets off to Los Angeles with the sole desire of winning back his e ...more
Sherwood Smith
Received from NetGalley.

I started this in May, and set it aside when the protagonist, named Gladstone, in a Patrick Dennis sort of metafiction, escapes from a mental institution only to chase after his ex-wife and try to force a love letter on a woman who obviously has moved on. There was too much stalker behavior in that first third or so, too many repeats of data about a journal/book Gladstone had written (apparently book one that this is the sequel to) and not enough about the Internet being
Danielle
Aug 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Those looking for the satirical spit-take at internet culture found in Gladstone's first book, "Notes from the Internet Apocalypse" will be (pleasantly, I should think) surprised at the intimate vulnerability of "Agents of the Internet Apocoplypse". The book begins with a rough spun blanket, speaking of a scratchy loneliness most humans have the misfortune to experience. Like watching someone trying to access the deep web to see if their partner is on the list of the soon-to-be famed philanderer ...more
Liz
May 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gladstone's Quixotic adventure continues in this sequel to Notes From The Internet Apocalypse. Without wanting to give too much away about Notes, this novel is a much bigger, brighter and more cogent story than its prequel, without losing any of the thoughtful, contemporary existentialism that makes the first novel so special and un-put-downable. Unsurprisingly, I couldn't put this book down either.

The novel begins with Gladstone in a mental hospital, and soon takes us to Los Angeles, where an
Shane
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
disclaimer – i received a copy of this book via thomas dunne books in exchange for an honest review.

the internet is gone and gladstone, the internet messiah, hasn’t brought it back yet. the world is falling apart (well, okay, it’s falling even more apart than before the internet disappeared but it’s not gladstone’s fault because the world kind of sucked before he became the messiah so cut him so freaking slack, okay? sorry. what was i saying? oh yeah…)

searching for the internet has landed gladst
Heather
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am going to assume that you have read the first book and then poured yourself a glass of Jamesons.

The story opens with Gladstone exactly where he should be after the ending of the first book: a psych ward. The good news is he is using that time to sort himself out, and also learn about how the internet actually works. As far as his adventures from the first book, that much turns out to be true. The internet is down. There really isn't any bad news. He gets discharged and heads straight for Ca
Renee
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The very first page of this book got me invested. The writing was beautiful in a way that caught me off-guard after the laughter and satire of the first book - and where Gladstone finds himself (in a psychiatrist's office) is so different from what the average series would do with a character that went through what our protagonist did in Notes.

A lot of authors would take the easy way out, and have Gladstone's problems all solved by personal revelation in book 2, but what we get instead is a prot
Barbara White
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Are you young enough to remember when the internet didn't exist? As a world we have become very dependent on the internet in our daily lives. Not only are we, as citizens of a country, but so are the leaders, movers and shakers of our countries, dependent on the internet. What if it disappeared? Can't imagine? Read Agents of the Internet Apocalypse. Thanks to Goodreads First Reads for this great read.
Janine Orlando
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Gladstone has taken a seemingly improbable premise, the loss of the internet, and constructed a magnificent portrayal of society's reaction. It is both heartfelt and irreverent, delving into one man's supposed madness and revealing another man's complete callousness. This is a thoroughly enjoyable read that entertains and provokes all kinds of "what if" scenarios.
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fun and witty read following the challenges for Gladstone and his friends in attempting to find the Internet, however, this book has a deeper thought provoking side to our reliance on a media that could be gone as quickly as it came. Clever writing.
Eric
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Better than the original. Great page turner. Heartbreaking love story, and a huge twist ending that left me anxious for the finale
Mikey
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
For a little while I wasn't as into it as the first book, but by the end I was...and am... ready for book three!
Chrissy
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book broke my heart and made me laugh and terrified me. I can't wait for part three.
Steve Rabideau
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I started this trilogy without knowing it was a trilogy. I saw the first book and thought the premise looked cool. I found out after I read the first one that there was 2 more. At under 250 pages, another quick read. Very enjoyable fun book. Can't wait to start the third book and see where the story goes.
Harris
In Agents of the Internet Apocalypse, we leave off where Notes of the Internet Apocalypse ended, climbing over the fourth wall and continue to wander, aimlessly but with a determination that can’t be broken, towards some very dark and interesting territory. Sharing with its predecessor its quick pace, thoughtfulness, emotion, and dick jokes, things start to really get real in Agents. While still a satire, much of the more strongly satirical elements from Notes have been downplayed as Gladstone f ...more
Clkay
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Imagine a world without the web - an Internet apocalypse , I was drawn to the story line and I was not disappointed. Gladstone uses humor and his satiric storyline made this an interesting and enjoyable read.
Georgina Kamsika
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
The sequel to Notes from the Internet Apocalypse:

Gladstone, the so-called ‘Internet Messiah,’ has not only failed to bring back the Web, but his search has landed him in a New York City psychiatric ward. The rest of the world isn't doing so well either. The economy continues to suffer, further stoking the discontent of frenzied former Internet users still looking for a fix.

Opening with Gladstone in a psychiatric ward works well, allowing a new reader to find out everything they might have missed
Kallierose
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received an advance copy in return for an honest review. So here goes...

Without delving into the whys and hows, imagine that the internet was suddenly gone. No facebook, no twitter, no (gasp!) Goodreads. As a society we have been so dependent on the internet for everything from banking to email to movie reviews. In Wayne's new existence the internet is gone. So he starts trying to figure out why. And along the way we get to meet some of the quirky friends who want to help.

There are, of course,
Amber Marshall
Nov 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Partway through this one, I was wondering, just like our previously unreliable narrator, how much of this was real and how much was delusion? The attempts to woo Romaya were uncomfortable but not past believing. Tobey was pretty funny. Agent Rowsdower gets some filling out with character development. The cliffhanger ending is more tantalizing than that of the first. I'll have to keep an eye out for any sales or deals on #3 because now I'm committed.
Chris R
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
You would be crazy to have not read "Notes From the Internet Apocalypse" first, but Gladstone does such a great job re-visiting events of the first book that "Agents of the Internet Apocalypse" would still be tremendously satisfying as a standalone novel. His characters are perfectly flawed and completely believable in an unimaginable reality. I cannot wait for the third installment.
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
I want to like this, but I didn’t. It felt like the story was trying too hard to be funny, and ended up failing. There was too much college frat boy humour for me to enjoy, and once you removed the humour, the story fell apart.

I read more than half of the story, but it just didn’t keep me interested enough to continue.
Danielle
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Apparently this is going to be a trilogy. I am interested in seeing what happens in the third book, because this one basically dropped the protagonist to the ocean floor by the end of it (figuratively).
Duane
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent and fun book. Makes you think how true it could be.
Mark
Oct 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Meh!! But ROWSDOWER!!!
Niret
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a mesmerizing journey through Gladstone's growth and the accompanying sadness and loss. The story of how the world adapts and moves on despite not having internet is fascinating, and a testament to peoples' ability to change with change.

The most beautiful thing I took from this book is the search for pure things. Pure things exist and are worth fighting for.

Would highly recommend.
Josh Campbell
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
110 pages in and there were more grammatical errors than I could count on one hand. I'm not sure if the author had an editor and a proof reader, if he did they missed a lot. There were several cases of extra words or missing words that made it too distracting to finish. It's a shame because I didn't notice this problem with book #1.
Jon
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well, it's amusing. Sure, it's book 2 in a trilogy/series, but that doesn't seem to hamper it. It does end on a colossal cliffhanger, but that's okay. And I do like the cover. I was given this as part of a secret Santa book exchange, so make of that what you will.
Emma
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book more than I expected. Gladstone and his friends are interesting characters, and I want to learn more about them though the story is complete in itself.
Mrs BB Johnson
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still fun and painful, but beautiful too

Can't review, must read book 3 right this instant. Or I will as soon as I stop crying and can actually see to read.
Almae
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Didn't know this was part of a trilogy until I started reading. Probably won't actively pursue the other two books, but if I comw across them, I might read them.

• Journey Into the Flame (Rising World Trilogy, #1)
  • The Silver Ninja (The Silver Ninja Prototype, #1)
  • Sea Change
  • Misconception
  • Shake It Up: Great American Writing on Rock and Pop from Elvis to Jay Z: A Library of America Special Publication
  • The Nick Tosches Reader
  • Inside Story: The Power of the Transformational Arc
  • Technically Dead
  • Myth & the Movies: Discovering the Myth Structure of 50 Unforgettable Films
  • The Soul Continuum (Soul Archives #2)
  • The Memory Wall
  • Speak of the Devil
  • Alternate Histories of the World
  • Rat Scabies and the Holy Grail: Can a Punk Rock Legend Find What Monty Python Couldn't?
  • Secret Warriors, Volume 3: Wake the Beast
  • The Ghost Shift: A Novel
  • The Desert
  • The Mysterious Secret of the Valuable Treasure

Internet Apocalypse (3 books)
  • Notes from the Internet Apocalypse
  • Reports on the Internet Apocalypse: A Novel
“They say what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, and I guess for some, that’s true. After all, pain makes you flinch. Your fingers form a fist, and that fist can become tighter and harder with each indignity suffered. Eventually, that fist might even get strong enough to punch down walls. But if you need your hand for something other than violence, if you want to unfurl those fingers to caress a loved one or comfort someone in need, and can’t, well then, you’re broken.” 5 likes
“Gladstone, how sad do you have to get before you stop making jokes?” 2 likes