Start by marking “Snakes! Guillotines! Electric Chairs!: My Adventures in The Alice Cooper Group” as Want to Read:
Snakes! Guillotines! Electric Chairs!: My Adventures in The Alice Cooper Group

Snakes! Guillotines! Electric Chairs!: My Adventures in The Alice Cooper Group

"Before the world heard of KISS, the New York Dolls, Marilyn Manson, or Ozzy Osbourne, there was Alice Cooper, the original shock-rock band." -Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

As teenagers in Phoenix, Dennis Dunaway, bassist and co-songwriter for the Alice Cooper group, and lead singer Vince Furnier (who would later change his name to Alice Cooper) formed a hard-knuckles band tha
Published June 9th 2015 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about Snakes! Guillotines! Electric Chairs!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snakes! Guillotines! Electric Chairs!

Sherwood Smith
Not long ago, when I was trying to explain to my thirty-something daughter how utterly mesmerizing the Beatles’ sound was . . . how do you characterize how something so familiar could sound new? My kids grew up with the Beatles being part of what is now called Classic Rock. Classic Rock! I can imagine the jaw-dropped horror of my shaggy-haired peers back in the sixties.

When I saw that one of the Alice Cooper band’s members had written a memoir I had to read it. Though I’d never liked their music
Julie
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
In 1977, Alice Cooper’s hit “You and Me,” a sappy ballad about a dismal middle-class romance that seems to take place entirely in front of a TV pulled up to a bed, lousy with popcorn, made me terribly uncomfortable. I was in junior high and liked my rock soft and tad treacly, but this was a bit much. Decades later I discovered the Alice everyone else had known all along--the darkly theatrical and self-parodying hard rocker touring with Judas Priest, the elder statesman in the dripping eye- liner ...more
Carl
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it
As a long-time Alice Cooper fan, I was thrilled to see this book out there. I haven't read anything on the band before and I wanted to hear Dunaway's story of their beginning and the eventual split when Alice Cooper became the person and not the band. Dunaway doesn't disappoint and he lays out in detail the origins of the band as a group of friends and goes up to their stardom. Alice Cooper has a quote on the back about Dunaway being a surrealist and I think he's right because that's how the boo ...more
Candice
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I’m not a fan of the band Alice Cooper and I’m certainly not a fan of Vince Furnier who burned his friends and bandmates by appropriating the name. But I like reading music biographies so now I know about snakes, guillotines, and electric chairs.

As a musician, I appreciate the author’s focus on the creation of the music rather than taking the opportunity to write a tattle-tell-all. His voice was endearing though corny, which is absolutely forgivable because he’s over 70 years old!

If you read th
Dave
Mar 31, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a fun read, tagging along with the creation of an historic rock group. From high school buds to rock stars you can feel the excitement of their early days and the heartache as things started to fall apart. This book adds to the Alice Cooper group mythos detailing many key moments from a different point of view. An excellent book for any classic rock fan.
David
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great read for any Alice Cooper band fans out there! I thought this would just be a re-hash of most stories I'd heard before, but it didn't play out like that at all. Nice to read about lots and lots of behind the scenes moments. Good times!
Tim
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley to read and review.
SNAKES! GUILLOTINES! ELECTRIC CHAIRS! is a book by Dennis Dunaway, bass player from the original Alice Cooper group, and friend of Vince Furnier (or Alice) and Glen Buxton going back to their high school days at Cortez High School in Phoenix.

Dennis tells a complete story of the career of the band going back to their humble beginnings, and describes how even in their earliest existence as a band they weren’t yo
Carrie
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I won this book through Goodreads First Reads.

As someone who wasn't even born yet when the group Alice Cooper was coming about but have heard the hits all my life this book was quite an interesting read. I have to admit I'd always known Alice Cooper to be the man and not the band so it was nice to learn of how it all came about and the early days of the band that were known for the Shock Rock music scene and just how Vince became Alice.

The book starts off with the guys being just a bunch of reg
Bob Ignizio
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fun, breezy first person account by bass player Dennis Dunaway of how Alice Cooper (the band) came together, rose to fame, and broke up as vocalist Alice (aka Vincent Furnier) launched a solo career. Helps fill in some of the more glaring gaps and omissions in the recent documentary film 'Super Duper Alice Cooper', and gives the entire band, as well as other important figures like managers Shep Gordon and Joe Greenberg (who was unfairly left out of Gordon's own documentary, 'Supermensch'), produ ...more
Jeff Mcleod
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The original Alice Cooper band will always be the best Alice Cooper. As I approached the end of this one, I was really hating that I had to leave the freaky world of one of the most awesome, adventurous bands ever. Dennis has a fun, slightly-trippy writing style that really made his book totally flow. This was a great read, and a real no-brainer for me, a huge fan of the band. Now back to blasting Pretties For You...
Todd Glaeser
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So many memories. How transgressive the IDEA was of a guy named Alice was at the time. I never realized how connected the AC group was connected to what I considered "60's groups" at the time. A fun and also melancholy (at times) look back at a hugely influential group.

Supposed to have received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads, but it never arrived.
Ronnie Cramer
Feb 03, 2016 rated it liked it
A fun and entertaining history of the Alice Cooper band as told by the bass player. Makes a nice addition/companion to NO MORE MR. NICE GUY by Cooper guitarist Michael Bruce.
Mark
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Geez. Maybe I'm too old and too moral to be reading stories from my old rock music favs. This is significantly better than the debauchery infested "Me, Alice" from the early days, but I didn't enjoy this very much either. When I started reading it, it seemed to be focused on the music much more than the lifestyles and while it was more so than the aforementioned book, it still had plenty of gross shenanigans from hippie lives. I suppose this is to be expected. There is actually a lot about the m ...more
Mike
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, nonfiction
Any time one individual purports to tell a story involving a group of people, particularly an extended story, there will be some question as to the accuracy of what is said. In the prologue to 'Snakes! Guillotines! Electric Chairs...' Dennis Dunaway states that "I'm here to tell you about it as I remember it." Okay, fair enough.

This book follows Dennis, his friend Vince, and several others on a 10-year journey that took them from sharing a bag of tacos in the back of a station wagon in Phoenix,
G.
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a good workmanlike chronicle of the beginnings (and the end, as bassist/author Dunaway experienced it) of the very outrageous Alice Cooper (the band, as opposed to the lead singer who was sly enough to legally take possession of the name) during the late 60s and early 70s.

Hard won success came to a high school band that any parent could hate with impunity, until the youth culture began its metamorphosis in answer to those magnificent and tumultuous times.

Follow Alice Cooper's journey o
Morgan
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoir
I'm just lukewarm on this memoir of the rise and fall of the Alice Cooper band, yet told through the eyes of only the original bass player. And maybe that one sentence is the crux of the problem I had with this: it felt very skewed. There are many mentions of his prolific contributions to songs (whether or not he had received credit) as well as his ideas for the live shows and while he does credit his band-mates for their ideas, there's still this feel in reading that his share of creativity was ...more
Steve Coscia
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rarely does a book earn 5 stars. Keep reading to learn why this book does.

This book includes what most rock-n-roll autobiographies omit: How the music was conceived, written and recorded. The chapter that describes how Bob Ezrin and the band developed the "Love It To Death" album is priceless. This chapter details the songs plus each musician's playing style, their instruments, Ezrin's recording techniques and album's track sequence decisions. The band also discusses songwriting credits during t
Piper Gottschalk
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Firstly, thank you to the publisher and Net Galley for the chance to read 'Snakes! guillotines! Electric Chairs!' The following is my honest review.

To start off I am a fan of the Alice Cooper group. As a child in the eighties, I remember my parents sharing the albums on cassette tape with me and my brother very fondly. However, I didn't know a lot of the personal details of the band before reading this book.

I have to say, it was a lot of fun reading this book. When reading Dennis Dunaway describ
Glen
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love real paper books but if there a shining example of what can be special about an audio book this is it. To hear this story read/told by Mr. Dunaway who is not a slick narrator with a movie trailer voice is refreshing and imparts a more genuine and personal feel to the experience that enhanced an already very interesting story. Highly recommend.
Carrie
Nov 20, 2017 rated it liked it
While I really enjoyed getting a different perspective of the formation and crumble of the Alice Cooper group, this book could have beneftted from a more critical editor's eye. Things that I felt were probably watershed moments felt a little downplayed, although I suppose in a memoir, details are dependent on what the writer took note of at the time.
Stewart Sternberg
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have read a good many biographies about rockers but this seemed one of the more fun ones. It doesn't hurt that I'm a huge fan of the Alice Cooper band, but it's nice to read from a band member's point of view the experience of coming into prominence during the late sixties along with legends like Hendrix and the Doors.
Ace Boggess
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful memoir from the bassist of a 70s rock band, describing the struggles, successes, sleaze, and collapse: how a band created a monster, and the monster decided to be more lovable on his own. It's filled with heart and humor, but also the pointed sadness only this sort of story can have. Loved it.
Stew
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good but sad book

Another story of a truly innovative band that succumbed ultimately to ego, drink and drugs. At least they left behind a few truly great albums in their wake. Dennis Dunaway was, and I presume still is, the best face of the group.
John A. Sillasen
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great History Story of one of Rock's most creative bands ever

Told in first person POV by progenitor and original bassist for Alice Cooper, Dennis Dunnaway, this is the take of how Alice was created, loved and prospered in the minds of teenagers turned professional musicians.
Michael Smith
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music
Excellent memoir from the original bass player of the Alice Cooper band. Great guy too. Met him at Southern Festival of Books in NAshville. Very kind.
Randy
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Life inside '70's A.C.
Cameron
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
great read, informative without much hyperbole
Lisa
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it

This is a new book by former bass player in the original Alice Cooper band (when Alice Cooper was the name of the band, not just the name of the lead singer) and it was a real pleasure to read.

A favorite book of mine is "Billion Dollar Baby" by Bob Greene which chronicled the December 1973 "Billion Dollar Babies" tour by the band when they were at the top of their game (and only about a year before the band broke up). Greene, a writer for the Chicago Tribune and for Esquire magazine, took a leav
Dave Schwensen
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The title is not misleading as any Alice Cooper or classic rock fan will know. But along with the simulated ways to destroy their lead singer on stage every night, what makes this a very enjoyable book is the inside story of how a group of talented young guys (and girls) created a monster that turned into one of the best-selling rock bands of the 1970’s.
Unlike the title, it wasn’t all about the on stage theatrics and props. Dennis Dunaway, co-author and bass player for the Alice Cooper group w
Harry Sahl
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As a longtime Alice Cooper Group fan, I found this a fantastic book to read about the early days from a band member there from its beginning.
The beginning took place at a high school in Phoenix, Arizona where author Dennis Dunaway, Vince Furnier, and Glen Buxton met through their school newspaper. Quick to form a band for a talent show, they billed themselves as The Earwigs. After winning the event and more importantly, loving the experience of being on stage, they got serious.
The band changed
« previous 1 3 next »

• It's Good to Be the King: The Seriously Funny Life of Mel Brooks
  • That's Not All Folks: My Life in the Golden Age of Cartoons and Radio
  • Nothin' to Lose: The Making of KISS (1972-1975)
  • Spider from Mars: My Life with Bowie
  • Jimi Hendrix: A Brother's Story
  • Marilyn Monroe: The Final Years
  • Chasing Portraits: A Great-Granddaughter's Quest for Her Lost Art Legacy
  • Alice Cooper, Golf Monster: A Rock 'n' Roller's 12 Steps to Becoming a Golf Addict
  • In Doubt
  • Hail to the Chin: Further Confessions of a B Movie Actor
  • Sound Man
  • Commando: The Autobiography of Johnny Ramone
  • The Wrecking Crew: The Inside Story of Rock and Roll's Best-Kept Secret
  • A Stray Cat Struts: My Life as a Rockabilly Rebel
  • Here Comes Exterminator!: The Longshot Horse, the Great War, and the Making of an American Hero
  • Memoirs of Dakini: True Confessions of a Former Flower Child