Start by marking “If I Could Turn Back Time” as Want to Read:
If I Could Turn Back Time

If I Could Turn Back Time

Told with Beth Harbison's wit and warmth, If I Could Turn Back Time is the fantasy of every woman who has ever thought, "If I could go back in time, knowing what I know now, I'd do things so differently..."

Thirty-seven year old Ramie Phillips has led a very successful life. She made her fortune and now she hob nobs with the very rich and occasionally the semi-famous, and s
Published July 28th 2015 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about If I Could Turn Back Time, please sign up.
Deborah What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty is more to my liking. Basically same thing happens by in the book mentioned there is more action and less 'what am…moreWhat Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty is more to my liking. Basically same thing happens by in the book mentioned there is more action and less 'what am I doing here'. I'm having a hard time finishing it.(less)
Beth Harbison I barely remember that movie but one huge fundamental difference is that in the movie a 13 year old was suddenly grown and on her own (sort of like…moreI barely remember that movie but one huge fundamental difference is that in the movie a 13 year old was suddenly grown and on her own (sort of like BIG), versus traveling back in time for a potential do-over. (less)

Debbie
For me, this book had a good beginning and ending. The middle part lasted so long that I felt I was definitely going through the same thing as the main character. The middle was WAY too long! I fell asleep like 4 times during that part.

I mean I really liked the writing and the characters, I just think that a shortened version would be better. If I could turn back time, I would have skipped this book. Sorry.

Thanks to the publisher and Net Galley for providing me with this free e-galley in exchan
Stacey Slaughter
Jul 26, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I made it about a third of the way and then I had to give up. The concept was interesting but the author constantly says the same thing over and over again. I don't know if that was to make the book longer or to just torture me. Either way, I hated it.
Melissa
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was my first experience with a Beth Harbison novel. I can see why readers like her. She has a genuine way of connecting her readers with her characters. Ramie was easy to sympathize with throughout the story. I was worried she'd be this perfect, popular girl and that I wouldn't be able to relate to her, but it turned out that she had awkward moments, stuff to worry about, and even mean girls to deal with. (I am allowed to be jealous that she had a hot boyfriend in high school, right?!?) I k ...more
Liviania
It's hard to remember now why I picked up IF I COULD TURN BACK TIME. I think it was the promise of time travel, which I tend to enjoy. But the blurb hints at one of my major problems with the book. IF I COULD TURN BACK TIME falls into that old pattern of successful, self-made woman figures out what she really needs is to be emotionally honest and find her soulmate.

In the end, I think IF I COULD TURN BACK TIME did some interesting things, but they tended to be too little, too late. The execution
Tara - Running 'n' Reading
Beth Harbison always writes really fun stories; her description of Ramie waking up in her childhood home/room/bed, though, takes the cake. I immediately started thinking about what it would be like to wake up, with the mind and experiences that I have now, in my 18-year-old body and accompanying situations of that time. Can you imagine? So crazy, right? One of the things I couldn't stop thinking about is this quote:

"There is something about the smell of school that you never completely forget. I
Rhiannon Johnson
Read my full review here: http://www.ivoryowlreviews.blogspot.c...

It took me forever to read this because I kept daydreaming! Seriously, what would you do if you suddenly woke up in your 18 year old body with all your current knowledge? Haven't we all asked ourselves, at one point or another, "If I had it all to do over again, what would I do differently?" The storyline was engaging but I kept taking my own journey off to "what if" land. Ramie's high school bedroom was MY high school bedroom and
Judy Collins
A special thank you to St. Martin's Press and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Beth Harbison delivers a poignant and witty story of a woman’s journey back to the past, IF I COULD TURN BACK TIME, coming in paperback June 14, 2016 (with a new 83/18 cupcakes adorable cover). Readers will go back to revisit their younger years, for a thought- provoking look at the people in our lives, choices, and questions, of what if.

“Sometimes – some rare times—when a soul has left in it
Rowena
Ever wonder what it would be like to wake up the day before you turn 18 again?
While out on her yacht with friends, Ramie is partying it up when she cartwheels right off the yacht and wakes up the day before her eighteenth birthday. When she fell into the water? She was 38 so waking up right before you turn 18 again is definitely a trippy experience for Ramie. Getting to do things differently, right some wrongs and all that made for an interesting story.

Ramie was an interesting character, one tha
Meredith
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
If you had the opportunity to go back to high school to change your path in life, would you? This is the question that If I could Turn Back Time tries to answer.

On the eve of her 38th birthday, while Sailing on a yacht with her friends and acquaintances, Ramie Phillips reflects on her life and the choices she has made--she realizes that she chose a path of practicality and safety, and as a result has become cold. Post-reflection, she winds up hitting her head while diving overboard. When Ramie
Maggie61
I am always excited when Beth Harbison has a new book released, she always weaves fun stories. Fun stories, but ones that sometimes make you think of your own life and imagine "what if" for a good part of the book. This would be one of those. What would you change in your past if you could? Were things as you remember? And if you had the chance to change something, would it alter everything or would things still come out the same In the end? We all have regrets, I know there's things in my past ...more
Andrea
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
** 4.5 stars - the midsection was a bit slow**

If I Could Turn Back Time turned out the be exactly the book I was expecting/hoping for, but I didn't realize that until almost the end. Is that confusing?

The beginning of the book was good. I love the "accidentally waking up back in time to possibly change what went wrong" trope (think 13 Going on Thirty and, especially, Hindsight), and it initially seemed that Ramie had gone back to save the relationship with her high school boyfriend AND her fath
Me
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting time travel novel. A 37 year-old woman returns to her life as a 17, soon to be 18 year-old. Still haunted by her father’s death when she was 20, she now has the chance to tell him how much she loves him. Her father in turn, has the chance to offer her philosophical advice (you wonder how he has the time!) which will ultimately uplift her. The theme of the road not taken is always present in this novel. There’s a bit of a twist and surprise at the end. Ultimately, a cheerful book and ...more
Rose
Jul 23, 2015 marked it as to-read-arc-or-galley  ·  review of another edition
All I can think of in my head when thinking of this book title is the Cher song of the same name, but nonetheless, looking forward to the read. :P
Kerstin
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2017
"Vor mir die Sterne" hat ein interessantes Konzept. Wer hat sich nicht schon gefragt, wie das eigene Leben verlaufen wäre, wenn man eine andere Entscheidung getroffen hätte? Und es haben sich bestimmt schon viele Leute gewünscht, die Möglichkeit zu bekommen, ihre vermeintlichen Fehler zu korrigieren. Ramie Phillips bekommt diese Gelegenheit. Sie ist beinahe 38, hat eine erfolgreiche Karriere hinter sich, tolle Freunde - aber keinen Partner. In ihrem Leben gab es verschiedene Beziehungen, aber ke ...more
**Nicole
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Are we all living the life that we are supposed to?

Where would our romantic lives be if we hadn't broken up with a certain boyfriend?

What if we picked a different major? Would we still have wound up at our current job with our current friends ... or would everything be completely different?

Or better yet, what if we became a completely different person? Our experiences help shape our personalities. So what we never experienced those events...would we still be the same person or someone else?

If
Shelley M.
Books like this really drive home to me that I’m not a normal mid-30s lady. Women in their thirties in books always seem so OLD. Ramie in this book is just year older than me, but I didn’t identify with her at all. And I felt like she went back farther than 20 years. Or maybe the “now” of the book isn’t supposed to be 2015? Because 20 years ago is the mid-90s and it felt to me like she went back to the 80s or early 90s. Not that huge of a difference, but it didn’t help me settle into the story w ...more
Jencey/
Thank you to St. Martin’s Press for sending me a copy of If I Could Turn back Time by Beth Harbison. She used Cher’s song "If I Could Turn Back Time." I remember this song from the 80s. I have to say this song has been in my head the entire time I have read this novel.
Synopsis:
Ramie Phillips is celebrating her thirty-eighth birthday when she gets news about her friend Lisa who is pregnant. All of the sudden she wonders if she missed out on something in life. Would having had a family been a be
Lauri Rottmayer
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delilah
A very sweet book. An easy read, somewhat of a "beach read" but instead I chose to read this cuddled up next to a fire and it was perfect. This book is about second chances, following your heart, Rekindling your relationships with your parents, and learning to alway make time to check in with yourself to ask "am I happy". It's important to be happy in your life, that's really all that matters. This book is about realizing it and figuring out how to get there.
Alpana Chand
If I could turn back time and undo grabbing it from the library's bookshelf! I could rewrite it in 100 pages, wonder why it was so excruciatingly long!
Susan
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It took me a month to read it. That says it all. Boring, slow. Very similar to a made for TV movie I watched a few years ago.
Rebecca Jo
What is that movie with Jennifer Garner - 13 going on 30?... this is exactly what this book reminded me of.
Ramie Phillips gets a little life check & then hits her head & wakes up in her bedroom - very Peggy Sue Got Married like. I guess this story has been done a few times. Let's throw in the one with Zac Efron & Matthew Perry too... I like the idea of going back & knowing what you know now & how would you do things differently kinda stories.
& while this was cute, it was
Kelley
Oct 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
The last 13 months of my life have been pretty tough, but the to say the loss of my father was tough is a total understatement. The main character in this book loses her father much younger than I did, but I could relate to her, and relate to her feelings with regards to her father during her time travel. A sweet concept for a novel. With a 15 year old in the house, you just want to say, really do enjoy this, no we're not kidding, because one day you will want this carefree stuff back. With a 3 ...more
María
Wow. Más de lo que esperaba. Me alegro que ofreciera más de un universo alternativo y confirmara que su primer novio no era necesariamente el amor de su vida. Sino que ese hombre misterioso fuera otra persona de su pasado.
Igualmente, lo mejor del libro: las conversaciones entre Ramie y su papá. Se me pintaban un lagrimón cada vez que estaban juntos. Y el epílogo fue genial...
Para leer y apreciar el amor de un padre
Dana
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beth Harbison's "If I Could Tun Back Time" isn't great literature, but it doesn't need to be to leave me feeling that my time was well spent inside its pages. What happens when you are 38 but suddenly wake up in your childhood bed only to realize you are eighteen years old again, and about to graduate from high school? Would you do things differently with the wisdom and maturity of having lived another 20 years? Or, could it be, that things turned out exactly as they were meant to be, and that ...more
Suzanne
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: time-travel
Nita Kohli
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I got an advanced copy of this book from NetGalley in return of an honest review

If I Could Turn Back Time is an adult fiction chick-lit book that is scheduled to be released on 28th July 2015. The concept sounded very intriguing as it touches the notion of time travel but it did not read like sci-fi book. Instead it has a setting of contemporary and chick-lit kind of a book. So, the mix caught my attention when I saw it.

Book Cover

Simple and pretty!
Though, I would have liked it if it showed an i
Julia
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 00-standalone, 2016
Inhalt: Was wäre, wenn …? Wenn ich ihn damals geküsst hätte? Wenn ich ihm gesagt hätte, wie sehr ich ihn liebe? Kurz vor ihrem 38. Geburtstag gerät Ramie Phillips in die Krise: Sie hat alles, was sie immer wollte – eine Karriere, tolle Freunde, ein Leben im Wohlstand. Aber ist sie glücklich? Als sie nach einem Unfall wieder zu sich kommt, ist Ramie plötzlich noch einmal 18 Jahre alt. Und sie kann alle Entscheidungen von damals mit dem Wissen von heute erneut treffen. Doch dafür muss sie die Antw ...more
Up-in
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun, fast read! This book had me laughing & on the verge of crying. We've all wondered what would happen if we could go back & change something in our past & this book does a fun job of doing that in a dreamlike way.

Ramie Phillips a workaholic almost 38yr old goes out for a night on a yacht with her friends which ends up changing her life. Drunk & acting crazy, Ramie goes a cartwheel off the diving board of the yacht and wakes up as her 18yr old self. She goes through the motions
Mary
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When thirty-eight year old Ramie Phillips does a champagne-fueled cart-wheel off a yacht she hits her head and ends up in a coma. She doesn’t know she’s in a coma. No, she’s landed back in Potomac, Maryland and she’s in the last week of high school.

Ramie’s aware that she’s not eighteen but she can’t figure out what’s going on and how she got in her eighteen year old body. When she has a chance to talk to her father again she decides to take advantage of the opportunity and soak up all the wisdom
  • What's Never Said
  • Love and Miss Communication
  • Keep Calm and Carry a Big Drink
  • The Best of Enemies
  • The Status of All Things
  • A Brit on the Side (Castle Calder #1)
  • Hugo & Rose
  • Wrong in All the Right Ways
  • The Scarlet Letter Society
  • Wallflower in Bloom
  • Recipe for Disaster
  • Families and Other Nonreturnable Gifts
  • The List
Beth Harbison grew up in Potomac, Maryland, in the shadow of Washington, D.C. Apart from the occasional irritation at being held up in traffic by a presidential motorcade, she has remained fairly uninvolved in the politics that define her home town. Her latest novel, ONE LESS PROBLEM WITHOUT YOU, comes out July 26, 2016.

“You seek problems because you need their gifts.” 0 likes