Start by marking “The Future of Architecture in 100 Buildings” as Want to Read:
The Future of Architecture in 100 Buildings

The Future of Architecture in 100 Buildings

(TED Books #4)

The founder of Architizer.com and practicing architect draws on his unique position at the crossroads of architecture and social media to highlight 100 important buildings that embody the future of architecture.

We’re asking more of architecture than ever before; the response will define our future.

A pavilion made from paper. A building that eats smog. An inflatable concert
Published March 10th 2015 by Simon & Schuster / TED (first published December 9th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Future of Architecture in 100 Buildings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Future of Architecture in 100 Buildings

Mariℓina
Dec 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arc
3,5 Stars!
A book with an interesting insight, towards futuristic buildings and the future of architecture.

Using unique questions as a catalyst, the author decides to explain the one of the kind buildings he feautures in his book.

Every architectural structure, is accompanied by a little piece that provides details about it and and a smart answer to the question that was previously mentioned.

I like the content of this fascinating project, that carries a magazine like aesthetic, with a riveting lay
Martyn
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
An interesting book but it didn't pull off its advertized goal; in fact it fell into the trap of suggesting that architecture up to this point can be lumped together into a solid, unimaginative mass and has made limited progress in terms of innovation - I'm certain that isn't what the author intended but it does read that way.
Lili
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I recieved this book from Netgalley in exchange for a review:

My grandfather was an architectural designer, I remember being small and sitting by his drafting table as he would work on designs, it was beautiful and fascniting to me and certainly cemented a love of architecture in my brain. One of my favorite aspects of architecture is the way it has evolved over the years to fit our needs, you can trace the path of humanity through what we build

So what does the future hold? This book takes 100 b
Jonathan  McGaha
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an eye-opening little book. I was surprised by some of the innovations which already exist in various places of the world as well as by some of the concepts for future adaptations and notions.

The photographs are well-rendered and serve well to demonstrate what the text is relating. Every structure is used to answer, with a building, a question asked about what architecture can do, and for every question asked in this book the answer is either "yes" or "soon."

I'm not typically very inte
Dustin Altschul
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Decent general purpose book for establishing current trends in architecture, and presenting a collection of case studies.

Short on project details. Found inconsistent formatting of text/images combined with one line quips slightly annoying. Clearly tailored for the general public. Also believe this book is more of a snapshot of where the architecture profession is today, rather than really providing speculation on the future of architecture.
Nada Elfeituri
Feb 22, 2016 rated it liked it
A lot of big ideas crammed into one small book. For architects, this more as a directory of interesting architectural ideas, rather than a comprehensive book on them. Each page is dedicated to one building, or "idea", with a short description. You'd have to Google the building to find more pictures, schematics and facts about the building in question. However, with that said, it's still a good pocket-sized book to have around when you're looking to get inspiration for a project.
GONZA
Oct 01, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm a little bit disappointed because it showed less than 10 buildings and is 14 pages long.

Sono delusa perché invece di 100 palazzi ne fa vedere meno di 10 ed é un libro di 14 pagine.

THANKS TO NETGALLEY AND SIMON&SCHUSTER FOR THE PREVIEW!
SiredHybridxx
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
A great concise book which is great for a third year undergrad architecture student. This book gave me quick snapshots of futuristic buildings; how I can redesign the future? Where and how far can I go?

This book is great for initial ideas, which can be quickly flicked through for reference. However, for more details research would be required on google or whatever to get the results you are aiming for.
Michael King
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
An interesting but very brief survey of innovative architecture and how it demonstrates important principles for the future design of buildings, communities, and the world. Fine as a quick diversion but I found myself wishing for a lot more information on the design process and future implications of each example, rather than just a pretty picture and a one paragraph description.
Patricia Herlevi
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just like you can expect bite-size lectures and presentations from Ted Talks, you can expect short reads from Ted Books. It's the same organization that produces the lectures and publishes the books. The Future of Architecture is easily consumed in one sitting. And it features some very cool concepts regarding where and how we'll live in the near future.
Ellen
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got most of my enjoyment from this book because it was written in Spanish and I read the whole thing! (considering I taught myself what I know, I'm pretty dang proud!) Some ideas they presented were truthfully innovative and futuristic...others were just stupid (using lab-grown pig cells to build houses.... yeah not so appealing)
Mwenda Smith 23
Never have i ever been fascinated by architecture till i read this book. I now have a new found respect for creative architects who care enough to design buildings that hold in high regard and balance the environment, work, community and social life of man.
Boszka
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Nice pictures. It's more of a starting point than something that has detailed & in-depth descriptions. Saw a couple of buildings that I would love to visit IRL.
Also, several libraries are included in the list :)
Catherine
Jun 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: art-graphic
This turned out to be a picture book with really bad copy. The buildings depicted were interesting, but the obnoxiously vapid captions, such as "Can architecture swirl?", made the whole thing feel really silly. I'm sure you can find better content on Tumblr or Instagram.
Saddha Zaw
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it
An easy read/view-book. Good for its purpose: familiarize everyday people with architecture around us. Not recommended if you're looking for a deep insight into architecture. Use it as a very shallow introduction to what architecture is.
Denise L. Deverelle Crown
Inspiration

Largely a picture book, with a lot of innovative real and conceptual architectural projects. If you love modern architecture you'll find these projects inspiring and thought-provoking.
Long Bui
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read this book if you're curious and want to explore.
Don't expect deep content - it's more of a flip-through-and-find-cool-things kinda book.
Otherwise really interesting architecture around the world, cool photography, wonderful ideas.
Marilyn
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was really disappointed. The little book looked so inviting. The contents seemed set to show the reader just how smart and cool the author was. Nothing .
Demi Fang
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
well made for its intended purpose. reads more like a magazine.
Koleś
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Just an album of photos and short descriptions of interesting architecture.
Jennifer Bacall
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
An interesting concise little companion to a TED Talk, The Future of Architecture in 100 Buildings is an inspiring quick read.
Andrew
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: art
Cool buildings, annoying text. Pictures not big enough.
Monica
Sketchy but interesting. A lot of great constructions from all over the world.
Tamara
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2017
Each page of this book had me impressed! Architecture never fails to take my breath away honestly, and seeing so many beautiful, purposeful, intelligent buildings featured was amazing.
Cruorox
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
In “The future of architecture in 100 buildings” you will find a lot of unique and memorable architecture. Each piece is provided with a short description and explains what is unique about this specific design and/or material. The photography accompanied in this book is beautiful and truly captures the rawness, as well as the intensity, of the structures. The book has a clear futuristic vibe and lays it’s focus on futuristic shapes as well as environmental improvements. 5/5.
Thomas
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
The Future of Architecture is the first I've read of the TED series of books and ( full disclaimer ) a Good Reads giveaway win .
It's an intriguing little book to be sure both in size and brevity . I found the subject fascinating , though I've no back round in architecture , its something even the novice will enjoy . The pictures are pure eye-candy and the brief descriptions left me wanting more .
Who wouldn't want more of this art meets design meets engineering subject ? It's a smallish version
Lilah
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was a fun and reviewed the future of architecture by reviewing 100 different and unique buildings from all over the world. This book was a quick read filled with many of photos and short descriptions of each building usually ending with an inspirational quote to make you think about the future of architecture. One section of the book was devoted to reinvention or the reuse of existing buildings. According to the book 90 percent of all construction activity in the US over the next 10 ye ...more
Wayne McCoy
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
'The Future of Architecture in 100 Buildings' shows us the cutting edge of buildings from around the globe. My preview copy was only 14 pages long, but it was a tantalizing look at what this book contains.

The text of the book asks a series of questions like 'Can we live in the harshest place on earth?' or 'Can a skyscraper be built in a day?' The book then gives a photo and location of a building answering these particular questions. Not only are the buildings I saw in my preview copy functional
Anders Hanson
Jun 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fascinating and inspiring little book. It doesn't show you some abstract concepts that some architect drew up on the back of an envelope but shows you real living examples of new ideas that could potentially transform how we live, work and play in the future. The author is very much of the view that everyone is a fan of architecture, it's just that they might not know it yet, and this book shows how that may well be true. I only wish I'd now bought this book rather than borrowed it fro ...more
Nathan Worthington
Jun 21, 2015 rated it liked it
This book is really fascinating.

It is a "TED Original" book and based upon a TED talk by the author in 2014. Marc Kushner takes a subject (architecture) that many people take for granted and brings it to the forefront of the reader's minds.

Each building, material or structure mentioned in the book is first framed as a question. Then the author briefly answers the question and gives the location and a picture of each item.

While I have seen several of the places mentioned in this short and easy-t

• Judge This
  • Much Loved
  • 1001 Buildings You Must See Before You Die: The World's Architectural Masterpieces
  • Secret London - an Unusual Guide
  • Really Important Stuff My Cat Has Taught Me
  • A New Map of Wonders: A Journey in Search of Modern Marvels
  • Beyond Measure: The Big Impact of Small Changes
  • White House Burning: The Founding Fathers, Our National Debt, and Why It Matters to You
  • Wrapped in Plastic: Twin Peaks
  • Shop Cats of New York
  • Makeshift Metropolis: Ideas About Cities
  • The Trolley Problem, or Would You Throw the Fat Guy Off the Bridge?: A Philosophical Conundrum
  • Hidden Cities: My Journey into the Secret World of Urban Exploration
  • National Insecurity: The Cost of American Militarism
  • The Smithsonian's History of America in 101 Objects
  • Modern Music and After - Directions Since 1945
  • The Lean Startup …in 30 Minutes: A Concise Summary of Eric Ries' Bestselling Book
  • Follow Your Gut: How the Ecosystem in Your Gut Determines Your Health, Mood, and More

TED Books (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Terrorist's Son: A Story of Choice
  • The Art of Stillness: Adventures in Going Nowhere
  • The Mathematics of Love: Patterns, Proofs, and the Search for the Ultimate Equation
  • Beyond Measure: The Big Impact of Small Changes
  • Judge This
  • How We'll Live on Mars
  • Why We Work
  • The Laws of Medicine: Field Notes from an Uncertain Science
  • The Boiling River: Adventure and Discovery in the Amazon
“Nature is an increasingly influential part of building design—we are being guided by trees, rather than overwhelming them. New architecture is finding innovative methods to incorporate natural landscapes into, onto, and around buildings.” 1 likes