Start by marking “The Science of TV's the Big Bang Theory: Explanations Even Penny Would Understand” as Want to Read:

Reveals the hard facts behind the laughter on TV’s most popular sitcom

The highest-rated scripted show on TV, The Big Bang Theory often features Sheldon, Howard, Leonard, and Raj wisecracking about scientific principles as if Penny and the rest of us should know exactly what they’re talking about.

The Science of TV’s The Big Bang Theory lets all of us in on the punchline b
Published June 9th 2015 by ECW Press (first published June 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Science of TV's the Big Bang Theory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Science of TV's the Big Bang Theory

Marjolein
Apr 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I don't know. I'm afraid I expected a somewhat different kind of book when I requested it. I suppose I thought it would focus more on the show and give some more insights into it, but instead the show is used as a way to fix all the subjects addressed in this book together.

And as an introduction into these scientific subjects it's not bad. It's as they say 'explanations that even Penny would understand' and she might do now, but I'm pre
Paul Franco
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I’m no scientist, but I did get surprisingly passable grades in those courses in high school and college. . . except biology (PLANT biology—don’t ask). I also know I’m way smarter than Penny, which I mention because of the subtitle, but some of these concepts were still too much, not as easy to grasp as the writer no doubt envisioned.
The great Isaac Asimov used to have a column where he would explain scientific ideas in a way that the general public could understand. Stephen Hawking and Brian Gr
Denise
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, science
Entertaining, humorous, and a nice collection of science ideas presented in the show.
Indah Threez Lestari
052 - 2016

Buat yang kepo kalo lagi nonton TBBT.

Mereka lagi ngomongin apaan sih?
Steven Lee
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is a fairly straightforward book. The author provides explanations for some of the scientific/mathematic concepts behind key episodes and jokes in the television show. The quality of the book is entirely dependent upon the reader. If they have significant scientific knowledge then not much will be gained from reading, except perhaps for the odd joke.

It covers a lot of concepts. Some of the chapters are dull (units of measure), and some are intriguing (artificial intelligence). At times it
Thomas LorD
Well, I certainly don't believe that the explanations are so simple that even Penny could understand them... Sure, they try to simplify various scientific concepts and I actually like how various they are, but a lot of them still go into way too much detail - when it came to photons and electrons for example, I nearly threw up because it reminded me so much of school. It's nice that they try, but I would like a really simplified version with almost no technical terms and more hows than whys. The ...more
Jenny
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Very well done. Great marriage of science to one of my favorite all time tv shows. Thank you DAVE!!!
Lisa Bentley
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley-books
I consider myself to be an educated person; I have qualifications coming out of my pooper – I realise this last sentence doesn’t exactly lend a lot of faith to that claim but it is true. However, my one downfall has always been science. I just never understood it. I can honestly say that after reading The Science of TV’s the Big Bang Theory: Explanations Even Penny Would Understand by Dave Zobel I am still in that exact same position.

The Science of TV’s the Big Bang Theory: Explanations Even Pen
Stacy
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this book because I'm a Big Bang Theory fan and I wanted to learn more about what Penny refers to as Sheldon's 'jibber jabber.' I was also hoping to learn more about the things seen on the whiteboards. A little more about the work the gang is focused on would have also been interesting.

This wasn't the book for this, however. It was more of a 'scientific principles mentioned in the show' tutorial. Even though it wasn't what I hoped for, it was interesting. The main text ran a little longe
David Meyer
Jun 11, 2016 rated it liked it
While I personally enjoyed the book, it referenced the show less than I expected, mostly throwing in one liners here and there. The one connection with the show that stayed true throughout was a seemingly random, fairly uninteresting attempt at the end of most chapters to pin down the exact physical location of the spot the apartment on the show is supposed to be.

While I was familiar with most of the concepts explained in the book, more than a few involved physics that was way over my head. I w
Marvin Fender
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, science, humor
Despite the title...Penny would not understand these explanations. The dumbing down of the subjects actually make things harder to understand. Zobel's text can give insight but you have to read carefully cause sometimes he goes right over your head. Sorry...the truth hurts.
Melissa T
Jun 08, 2015 marked it as did-not-finish
**I received a free copy of this book via Netgalley*** Unfortunately I did not finish reading this book. I think I was under the impression that it would be more heavily tied in with the show and it isn't. Also, the science is really complex, but the explanations aren't as simple as the title claims.
Annice22
Borrowed from Publisher/NetGalley for an honest review.

I'm a fan of The Big Bang Theory and this was interesting to read about the various scientific things they talk about on the show. Side note: this is very heavy on the science.
Julie
Mar 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: firstreads
I have found myself very interested in the science parts of this book and very disinterested in the television series commentary. You really need to love the tv series to want to read this. Wishing it was really more about the science thus far.
I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway.
Lisa Margraf
Rachel Heller
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love this book because it is educational and entertaining. I highly recommend it to everyone. This book is awesome. So is The Big Bang Tbeory.
Cyndi
Sep 01, 2015
Tuga Jamal
Oct 12, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• Underbelly Hoops: Adventures in the CBA - A.K.A. The Crazy Basketball Association
  • Japanese Zen Gardens
  • What Lifts Your Heart: Uplifting Designs to Color & Create
  • Single Digits: In Praise of Small Numbers
  • Light Bulb Baking: A History of the Easy-Bake Oven
  • Exploring English Castles: Evocative, Romantic, and Mysterious True Tales of the Kings and Queens of the British Isles
  • Vegan Pressure Cooking: Delicious Beans, Grains, and One-Pot Meals in Minutes
  • What I Did On My Midlife Crisis Vacation
  • 3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development
  • Game Changer
  • Multiple Intelligences in the Classroom
  • Stop Eating Your Heart Out: The 21-Day Program to Free Yourself from Emotional Eating