Start by marking “Gut: The Inside Story of Our Body’s Most Underrated Organ” as Want to Read:
Gut: The Inside Story of Our Body’s Most Underrated Organ

Gut: The Inside Story of Our Body’s Most Underrated Organ

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  19,530 ratings  ·  2,128 reviews
A cheeky up-close and personal guide to the secrets and science of our digestive system.
For too long, the gut has been the body’s most ignored and least appreciated organ, but it turns out that it’s responsible for more than just dirty work: our gut is at the core of who we are. Gut: The Inside Story of our Body's Most Underrated Organ gives the alimentary canal its long-
Published April 10th 2015 by Greystone Books (first published December 23rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Gut, please sign up.
Elaine Gut is a more recent book and thus has recent information on gut bacteria. Both books are informative and entertaining. I greatly enjoyed the…moreGut is a more recent book and thus has recent information on gut bacteria. Both books are informative and entertaining. I greatly enjoyed the illustrations in Gut.(less)

Brian
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a great intro to a fascinating subject, written with the casual reader and layperson in mind. It is almost unbelievable that we know so little about such an important part of our body (scientists know more about bees than they do about our belly-based bacteria). Our digestive system is the only part of our body that operates outside of the purview of our brain. Perhaps this is why we have so many emotional expressions that we tie to our belly ("gut reaction", "butterflies from being in l ...more
Emma
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*review based on Audible audiobook*

This is a book which is perfect for audio. Written for the layperson, it is informative and funny, but without the added benefit of an amazing narrator (who is able to get the tone just right), it may have seemed a little bit silly. Another reviewer noted the abundance of exclamation marks- in the text, that might be annoying, but when read aloud by Katy Sobey, the jokes and wry exclamations seem just right.

The content was interesting and entertaining, both edu
Jan-Maat
A charming book. Which seems an odd thing to write about a book which touches on bad breathe and its causes, tonsil stones(view spoiler), faeces, food intolerances, and vomiting (horses, the poor things, can't vomit, while we can co-ordinate our intestines to do so), and don't she says, attempt to induce vomiting, your gut and brain can be relied upon to sort it all out by themselves, but there we are, th ...more
Caro the Helmet Lady
I did enjoy scientific parts of this book, I found out some stuff I haven't heard before, but fart jokes and such became rather annoying at some point. I understand that the author was trying to keep it "light" so her readers wouldn't start yawning and dozing off on facts parts, but I think it would be better off without it... Oh well, maybe I'm just not the target reader for this book.

In general - pretty good, informative and rather recommended, especially if you didn't know you shouldn't put
Wanda
Aug 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommended for those who would like to know more about how their bodies work, but are afraid of biological/medical jargon. Written by a young woman in medical school, this work explains things in lay-person’s terms and is very accessible.

A pretty good section on our reliance on gut bacteria to mentor our immune system and help us to process our food. She explains very clearly why too much cleanliness is not necessarily a good thing. (Did you know that the whole “cleanliness is next to godliness
Nhi Nguyễn
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Đọc cuốn sách này đúng là một trải nghiệm mở mang tầm mắt và vô cùng bổ ích nhé :)) Với lối viết hóm hỉnh cùng những hình minh họa dễ thương, tác giả đã biến những kiến thức tưởng chừng khô khan về ruột trở thành những câu chuyện đầy thú vị và tràn đầy màu sắc. Đọc tới nhiều đoạn mà mình phải ồ à vì thích thú khi biết được nhiều sự thật không thể nào ngờ được về thế giới ruột của chúng ta :D

Hóa ra ruột không chỉ là một bộ phận dùng để tiêu hóa thức ăn, rồi sau đó thải ra chất thải qua phân, mà n
Rosie Nguyễn
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Viết về những đề tài cực hóc búa bằng ngôn ngữ cực kỳ vui nhộn và hài hước.
Chừng nào mình viết được như vậy trời ơi!
Caroline
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
This book gives us a warm and friendly journey through the gut. Written in easy terms for the layman, and generously illustrated by the author's sister, this is a very accessible description of the journey of food through our bodies, and the critters it meets on the way down.

Giulia Enders is a doctoral student, and she wrote the book in response to a friend wanting to know more about the gut. To do this she did a lot of research, as is shown in the bibliography at the end. Regarding the bibliogr
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

DNF at 80%. I'm over the gut.

I really, really enjoy science books, especially anything having to do with medicine/the body. That make sense, of course, seeing as I have a degree in a medical field, but I really can't get enough of learning about the human body.

However, after listening to Mary Roach's Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal, which I enjoyed very much, I thought I was ready for another round of intestinal delight. I was partly right.

What Mary Roach does is she breaks up a neve
Ella
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
I absolutely loved this! I learned so much about my own body it’s crazy!

I am pretty sure I have been raving about this book to my friends and family so much they could probably say they have read it as well haha

I had to share everything I learned since it feels so crucial we all are informed about what goes on inside us. All the bacteria, all the processes are fascinating and I ended up watching a lot of videos on YouTube about this (some were quite disgusting I have to admit 🙈)

Highly highly h
Vanessa
Nov 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
3.5 stars.

In the year or so I have had a fascination with my own gut, after my doctor surmised that my stomach problems were because I have IBS. Since then I have read countless articles and watched countless videos on the subject, in an attempt to help me manage my gut and its problems better. So naturally, when Gut by Giulia Enders was released, I had to get it and read up on the subject from a more scientific point of view.

This book was a truly fascinating read, and I learned a lot of things
Наталия Янева
Всички имаме една обща характеристика, от която не можем да избягаме, ако и да ни се ще, и това е храносмилателната система (е, и останалите системи в тялото, но сега за тази ми е приказката). Или както правилно отбелязваше В. в далечната две-хиляди-и-ехее-кога-беше-то – „Брад Пит също ака“. Неоспорим факт, а той би могъл да го прави по-образовано, ако прочете книгата на Джулия Ендерс.

„Черво с чар“ е наистина забавен пътеводител в света на собственото ни тяло, като въпреки заглавието това не е
Warwick
Apr 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biology, anatomy
This is a jaunty, easily digestible précis of intestinal biology, an enterological cornucopia of facts and figures and buttock-clenching anecdotes. Expect a lot of often fascinating talk about poo and farting, rather like a Monty Python sketch without the punchlines, as well as layman's introductions to the latest research into probiotics, prebiotics, antibiotics, the human biome, and the mysterious relationship between your gut and your brain. I learned a lot. I also made several strategic alte ...more
cypt
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ir aš įšokau į besidominčiųjų šūdais traukinį! Buvo labai malonus skaitymas, tarsi susitaikymas su savo šūdais. Paprastai sakai tai perkeltine prasme, kaip visokias vidines, dvasines negeroves, o čia - tiesiogine. Ne tai kad buvau su jais susipykusi (kaip įmanydama stengiuosi nesipykti), bet tikrai nežinojau nei kaip jie gaminasi, nei kiek juose bakterijų, ką ten - išvis nežinojau, kas jie yra, tik kad buvęs maistas.

Knygoj pilna visko - ne tik šūdų, bet ir aprašymų apie virškinimo procesą, apskr
Lois Bujold
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who lives in a body
Recommended to Lois by: random internet review

Neat little owner's manual for your digestive system, straightforward, humorous, and jargon-free. Complex ideas are presented as simply as possible, to reach as broad an audience as possible. It also included a lot of information I hadn't known, either because it was new, or because I hadn't been paying attention.

Recommended.

Ta, L.
Vivian Đình
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hay, nhiều kiến thức bổ ích, soi sáng cho cái đầu óc ngu si kiến thức 24 năm về đường ruột là mình =)) Nhiều đoạn mang hơi hướng khoa học quá nên đọc hơi khó hiểu tí. Nhưng vẫn là một trong những cuốn sách khoa học rất chất! Mong đọc được thêm nhiều kiến thức về Vị tràng học của cô tiến sĩ trẻ tài năng này!
B
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chuyên kể về lũ vi khuẩn, thường có tên dài loằng ngoằng, chúng yêu nhau, chúng đến với nhau, thỉnh thoảng cũng bị ngăn sông cấm chợ, chúng mơ về ngôi nhà và những đứa trẻ, hơi nhiều đứa trẻ, chúng thích sữa chua, chúng nhiều khi sống rất nội tâm hay khóc thầm 😌 ...more
Tanja Berg
Rating 3* out of 5. I'm not charmed. I found the writing childish with too many exclamation marks and didn't find things as funny as the author obviously did at times. I like the first 100 pages the best because of the numerous new things I learned, but the for the rest of the book I mostly just wished it would be over already. It's supposed to be fun and engaging and probably is to most people - to me it just fell a bit flat.
Nigel
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I find it quite hard to know just what to say about this book. It is one of the most interesting books I've read in quite some time. It is also one of the most improbable page turners I've read. The illustrations are wonderful and quirky.

It's a book about what happens in the passage between the mouth and the backside. At times maybe it is not for the faint-hearted. You will learn quite a lot about your poo! However you will also learn a lot about your gut bacteria and their impact - frequently s
Pupottina
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: saggistica

È davvero sorprendente, per me, leggere un saggio di medicina e trovarlo estremamente interessante. Tutto merito di Giulia Enders, una 25enne, laureata in Medicina, ricercatrice a Francoforte nell'ambito di Microbiologia e Igiene ospedaliera. Giovane, bella e intelligente, Giulia Enders ha saputo parlare con semplicità di uno dei meno chiacchierati argomenti inerenti la salute, l'intestino, quello che spesso ci dà fastidiosi problemini, molto, ma molto diffusi.
Ne parliamo poco perché, nonostant
Anatoly
Jul 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: science
This was a nice and an interesting read. Although written in simple language and full of humor and funny anecdotes, this book is quite informative and encompasses a great deal of knowledge.
But, this is also it`s downside. This is a really good start for those who don`t have any prior knowledge on the subject or don`t have a scientific background. But for those that are looking for something less light and a bit more scientific I would recommend something else.

Karina
Mar 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, non-fiction
A lot of overlap with Mary Roach's Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal, naturally, and - as it turns out - I prefer Roach's style. This one has cutesy illustrations and a title that makes a horrendously cute rhyme in the German and Norwegian editions, which is obviously a plus.
Anh Dũng
#OnPlane #Beijing #Hebei #Working #ZteDormitory

Nếu bạn muốn biết thêm những điều mới lạ, muốn khám phá thế giới thì đây là quyển sách dành cho bạn. Nó sẽ đưa bạn đến tận cùng thế giới :)_)

Đọc xong quyển này bạn sẽ:
- Muốn được tìm chỗ nào đó để ngồi xổm, hoặc ít nhất được đong đưa.
- Muốn được nhai thiệt kỹ, ăn mọi thứ một cách ngon lành, tự hào vì đã chăm sóc cả một hệ sinh thái.
- Quyết tâm ngày đánh răng hai lần.
- Mở cửa ra cho nắng sớm vào nhà (hát và chơi múa vòng nữa)
- Tránh xa nhà vệ sinh củ
Diễm Trang
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Đọc xong quyển này thấy hiểu hơn về cơ thể mình lắm lắm luôn. Đúng là tự nhiên luôn thật kỳ diệu. Trong ruột con người là cả 1 hệ sinh thái vĩ đại. Biết thêm được quá nhiều những điều chưa hề biết, về vi khuẩn, về cách dạ dày và ruột làm việc, về ti tỉ những thứ khác nữa. Mình nghĩ ai cũng nên đọc, đọc từ từ, đọc chậm rãi, đọc hàng ngày, để hiểu hơn về "Ruột ơi là ruột" 😊
Solange te parle
Jul 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
J'ai adoré la première moitié qui m'a souvent fait rire aux éclats. Giulia Enders excelle dans l'art de la vulgarisation fantaisiste. Elle use et abuse d'anthropomorphisme pour nous rendre attachante chaque réaction physiologique ayant lieu quotidiennement d'un bout à l'autre du tube digestif... mais le livre s'effrite un peu vers le troisième quart (c'est peut-être le sujet qui est moins concret et la vulgarisation moins aisée). Heureusement l'adorable voix revient vers la fin pour clore le tou ...more
Sadie (formerly known as Lennongirl)
The (original German) title nails it: Darm mit Charme (charmful gut / gut's charm), for this is a very charmful book indeed. It was not only super interesting and helpful, giving the reader lots and lots of insights of what is really going on down there, below the stomach area, you know, in this bundle of intestines that somehow transforms food into, well, poop. But that's not all it does by far - and even though we know about some of the gut's extra powers, might have read or heard about its in ...more
Luxvivens
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Darm mit Charme ist sehr unterhaltsam geschrieben, ein Buch über den kompletten Verdauungstrakt, von Mund bis zur Kloschüssel. Ich habe mich so gut wie nie geekelt, habe viel gelacht und sehr viel Neues gelernt. Gegen Ende war ich ein wenig langsamer beim Lesen, was darauf hindeutet, dass auch der Autorin ein wenig die Puste ausgegangen war. Insbesondere interessant fand ich das Kapitel über Bakerien, dessen Inhalt mir grösstenteils neu war - toll! Das Buch ist mit tollen und lustigen Bildern il ...more
Virga
Oct 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tokia naujoji liaudies pedagogika - apie biologiją neprofesionalams trylikamečių stiliumi. Antropomorfizuotos bakterijos, antropomorfizuoti kūno vidaus organai, visokios tarp jų intrigos, konfliktai, susitarimai, pasitarimai, etc. Vietomis aiškiai nertasi iš kailio, kad skaitytojui būtų įdomiau: kad būtų kuo daugiau juokelių, bajerukų, nuorodų į išgertuves ir t.t. Bet vis tiek, nors ir su visais tais bajeriais, tekstas išlieka medicininis biologinis, ir efektas po jo irgi kurį laiką (tikiuosi ne ...more
Patchouline
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un très bon livre, qui nous apprend plein de choses super intéressantes! Je l'ai lu par petits chapitres de temps en temps et je trouve que c'est le meilleur moyen pour qu'il ne devienne pas indigeste... Un livre interessant que tout le monde devrait lire une fois dans sa vie pour prendre conscience de certaines particularités de notre organisme!
Sean
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads
Learned alot.
Goodreads Librari...: Please merge editions 3 15 May 10, 2018 05:28PM
  • Brain Maker: The Power of Gut Microbes to Heal and Protect Your Brain–for Life
  • The Brain's Way of Healing: Remarkable Discoveries and Recoveries from the Frontiers of Neuroplasticity
  • The Dorito Effect: The Surprising New Truth About Food and Flavor
  • Headstrong: 52 Women Who Changed Science-and the World
  • Eines Tages, Baby
  • Beyond Words: What Animals Think and Feel
  • Das Glücksprojekt. Wie ich (fast) alles versucht habe, der glücklichste Mensch der Welt zu werden
  • Forensics: What Bugs, Burns, Prints, DNA and More Tell Us About Crime
  • Missing Microbes: How the Overuse of Antibiotics Is Fueling Our Modern Plagues
  • Come as You Are: The Surprising New Science that Will Transform Your Sex Life
  • Rain: A Natural and Cultural History
  • The Epigenetics Revolution
  • Follow Your Gut: How the Ecosystem in Your Gut Determines Your Health, Mood, and More
  • The Dry (Aaron Falk, #1)
  • Pig Tales: An Omnivore's Quest for Sustainable Meat
  • The Adrenal Reset Diet: Strategically Cycle Carbs and Proteins to Lose Weight, Balance Hormones, and Move from Stressed to Thriving
  • The Diet Myth: The Real Science Behind What We Eat
  • How to Clone a Mammoth: The Science of De-Extinction
Giulia Enders (born 1990) is a German physician and writer.

Enders is a two-time scholarship winner of the Wilhelm Undelse Heraeus Foundation and currently works on her doctorate of medicine at the Institute for Microbiology in Frankfurt.

In 2012 she won the first prize at the Science Slam in Freiburg, Berlin and Karlsruhe with her talk Darm mit Charme (Charming Bowels). This talk was also published
“While some of us might be sitting around thinking “Nobody cares about me!”, our heart is currently working its seventeen-thousandth twenty-four-hour shift—and would have every right to feel a little forgotten when its owner thinks such thoughts.” 19 likes
“Looking closer at human beings, it becomes clear that each of us is a world of our own. Our forehead is a breezy meadow, our elbows are arid wastelands, our eyes are salty lakes, and our gut is the most amazing giant forest ever, populated by the weirdest of creatures.” 11 likes