Start by marking “The World Within: A Novel of Emily Brontë” as Want to Read:
The World Within: A Novel of Emily Brontë

The World Within: A Novel of Emily Brontë

Emily Brontë loves her sisters, responsible Charlotte and quiet Anne, and her brother, tempestuous Branwell. She loves the moors that stretch all around her home and the village of Haworth, and she loves wandering over them even in the worst of weather. Most of all, she loves the writing that she and her siblings share, creating imaginary kingdoms, vivid characters, and ex ...more
Published March 31st 2015 by Arthur A. Levine Books

To ask other readers questions about The World Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World Within

jv poore
Well, this is embarrassing. As someone who considers herself relatively well read, I know of the Bronte sisters in only a vague, pedestal-classics-women-only-wear-dresses kind of way. Apparently, I’m not mature enough to put that aside and just read a book. Unfortunate and unfair when reading for review, I almost allowed my uninformed opinion of the main character to cast a shadow over the entire effort. Absolutely asinine; I dig so much about this book.

I loved that Emily grew by leaps and boun
Kathryn
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this more than I did, and I really wish there had been more about the Brontes' imaginary realms and Emily's own stories--although I guess not many of her early work was preserved. It felt as if the lack of verified information about Emily's life hampered the story; I think I'd have preferred it to be more fictionalized if that made it more dramatic. The author brings up some interesting points about the inequality of the choices open to Branwell, the one male Bronte sibling, and ...more
Saturday's Child
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Borrowed on a whim this YA novel turned out to be a great escape read. First the title and then the cover caught my attention. Finally, that it is a story about Emily Bronte sealed the deal for me to read it. I could easily picture the village of Haworth, the parsonage and the moors surrounding them, so I allowed the author the help me picture Emily’s life.
Hilary
Not much is known about Emily Bronte, the author of Wuthering Heights. Eagland takes the meager historical record and combines it with clues from the Brontes’ written works to create a window into the life of the Bronte siblings when they were teens.

Emily, Charlotte, Anne and Bram were raised in isolation at the edge of the moors near the village of Haworth. Theirs was an unconventional upbringing, with the girls receiving an education very similar to their brother’s. Emily is ill-prepared to c
Abby
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this, I really did. What potential it held in the beginning! The Bronte sisters seemed to be lively, complex characters (and did you know they had a brother too?) and the setting was great! But time after time Emily Bronte's character just chipped away at that optimistic feeling. I couldn't stand her by the end; whiny, childish, melodramatic, and basically an antisocial sourpuss. It also made me frustrated when she fell from her faith and didn't see God's power when it was right ...more
Jo
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I want to thank Jane Eagland, the author and Goodreads First Reads Giveaway for my copy of The World Within that I won in the Giveaway.

I Found The World Within interesting and enjoyed how the author brought out the differences to opportunities available to men and women on the times. The telling of the lives and making them so clear (fictionalized) was in keeping with showing the challenges they must have faced. I enjoyed the book.
Merrilyn Tucker
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a novel of Emily Bronte, not a biography. You have to know that before diving into this book. Emily's life is lovingly crafted by Jane Eagland (Wildthorn) who weaves a story based on actual events, but, as Eagland states, not necessarily in the order they actually happened. If a young person picked up this book because he or she enjoyed historical stories of families/England/the moors/life in Britain in the 19th century, he or she might enjoy the story even knowing nothing about the Bron ...more
Brandi
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I quite enjoyed Jane Eagland's "The World Within". I had read Emily Brontë's "Wuthering Heights" and some of her poetry, but did not know much about the author, except that she was the sister of Charlotte and Anne, and that she had used the pseudonym Ellis Bell.
I thought the author did an excellent job of bringing Emily Brontë to life, considering the lack of historical information regarding her and the fact that she died so young (30 years old). The writing was enjoyable, clear and easy to und
Leah Cossette
Emily Bronte hates two things: Change, and new people. So when her sister Charlotte goes away to school, Emily struggles to adapt to the changes this brings into her family's lives. Her brother Branwell is growing away from his sisters, her father's health is weakening, and Emily's own desire to create stories is increasingly undesirable in a young lady.

It's hard to put my finger on what I liked about this. Since The World Within is set during Emily Bronte's teenage years, there's no grand drama
Rebekah Haas
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2018
It ended up taking me almost two months to read and finish this book, and it is because the book was extremely uninteresting to me. I skimmed a majority of the book because it was so overly uninteresting.
"The World Within" is about Emily Bronte, although the book never had a distinctive plot line or a definite conflict within the overarching book as a whole. There were a lot of anecdotes within that didn't really seem to contribute to the never-nearing conflict, that, when what I would suppose
Nicole
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I loved the sophisticated language used to express one's feelings. I made connections with Emily as girls and share the same dilemmas. I really enjoyed the book, I have added more to my knowledge of Emily Bronte.
Monica
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-fic
I feel torn about this book. On one hand, I quite enjoyed it. It gave life and spirit to the Bronte sisters. On the other hand, there were times when I felt like ripping my hair out and screaming down Emily Bronte for being so damned introverted.
Marcy
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Wonderfully intertaining!
Megan
Oct 05, 2017 rated it liked it
An interesting tale of an interesting writer
Sassafras
The author plainly states that this is a work of fiction based on the life of beloved writer Emily Brontë. This is not a biography. I wish it were. I loved reading the amity and conflicts between the siblings. I loved how the moors take on their own character, one that had me glimpsing Catherine and Heathcliff. I loved the first person narrative and how Emily confronted her own doubts, misunderstandings, and creative growth.

I wept with this imagined Emily as she struggled with crises both signi
Meghan
Mar 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
Emily was conpletely unlikable. All she thought abor was herself and she never considered anyone else's feelings. She was very childish and couldn't handle any kind of change.
Sam
Jun 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: royal-lit
This started off promisingly enough, and it has bright spots and points of interest throughout; given the subject and the concept, I wanted to adore it, but I didn’t.

The issue I have with this novel lies solely with the author's depiction of Emily Bronte; as that is a personal quibble, I give this book 3.6 stars for literary merit alone.

The novel is well-written and edited (there were some oddities, such as the use of the verb goes in place of more formal words - e.g. "Branwell goes to respond,
Becky B
Step into what Eagland imagines it would have been like in the Brontë household as Charlotte, Branwell, Emily and Anne step from childhood into adult life. Emily is our narrator. She loves their family writing times. She loves rambles over the moor with her dog. And she loves the safety of home. She does not like change, and unfortunately, there's a lot of changes involved in growing up.

It's hard to know how to summarize this book. There really is no one overarching plot line or grand conclusion
Emma
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
"The World Within" is a historical novel imagining the lives of the three Bronte sisters, Charlotte, Emily, and Anne, along with their brother Bramwell, during their young adult years. The central character is Emily Bronte, and though little is known about her, the author makes the character seem very real and alive, while remaining true to what is known about her.

Emily Bronte's childhood was unusual and somewhat unconventional; for example, she and her sisters were given an education similar t
Barbara
Natalie
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
I should start with the fact that I don't really like Wuthering Heights. It's so depressing and gaudy. I've thought about giving it another try, since it's been over a decade, but I can't seem to work up to it.

That being said, I really do love Jane Eyre, so I was still intrigued by the concept of a book about the Bronte sisters.

It took me a long while to even get into it because the writing is so odd. You know when people talk about themselves in the third person?

That's how the whole book read.
R J Mckay
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book from Goodreads in exchange for a review.

Jane Eagland brings to life the remote world that the Bronte family lived in, where the four siblings spent a great deal of time creating an imaginary world far different than the one they inhabited. But when their Father becomes ill, their sheltered life slowly opens up. Branwell seems to be the first to venture beyond the close knit family bonds, making friends with other village lads and stretching his wings. Then Charlotte is sent
Janice
Jan 12, 2015 rated it liked it
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway in exchange for an honest review. This was the story of Emily Bronte and her sisters, Charlotte and Anne and their brother Branwell. It was an interesting story exploring Emily's feelings about her home, her family and their expectations of her for her future.Since her father is the pastor of their church, the family lives very simply and frugally.When they scrape up enough money to send Charlotte away to school, Emily is devastated. She liked things the w ...more
Amber Thomas
Sep 18, 2016 rated it liked it
I usually blaze through books, and I haven't recently. it took me a month to finish, which surprised me. I haven't read Wuthering Heights in nearly ten years, but I liked it better than Jane Eyre and thought I'd enjoy this. it's not a bad book, but it ends somewhat abruptly (in other words, I just got into this book! your father let you down by saying Charlotte couldn't be a writer! I wanted you to defy him by becoming Elis Bell! ...I suppose you were pretty close but I wanted you to get closer ...more
Margie
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fans of the Bronte sisters, particularly Emily who wrote WUTHERING HEIGHTS, will find this a satisfying read. Historical fiction is based in fact and then fleshed out with details and perspectives which give breadth and depth to what is already known. In this case the author gives readers a glimpse into the mind, heart and spirit of Emily Bronte as well as her sisters. And there lies the beginnings of what would later become some well-known works of British fiction. Leading a rather sheltered li ...more
Madeline
Feb 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
I was really excited to read this book and get some insight on the Bronte sisters life, but I could not have been more disappointed. It was incredibly boring and Jane Eagland made Emily out to be a heartless person and I don't think that she was. I have now learned that most of the book is fiction so I am happy that the Bronte sisters didn't actually have all of those stupid, boring events happen in their lifetime.
Don't waste your time because it is really lame and boring.
RumBelle
Of the Bronte sisters, the work of Charlotte was always my favorite, however Wuthering Heights was always intriguing. The mix of gothic horror and historical novel, and of course Heathcliff, made for an enjoyable read. This book explored the life of the author of that intriguing story. Emily always seemed to be the most thoughtful of the sisters. Her erratic, and at times difficult, family life affected her deeply. This was a well done fictionalized biography.
Nova
Apr 19, 2015 rated it liked it
It was interesting to read about the Bronte sisters. I enjoyed how the story stayed true to the period and some of the facts that are known about the Bronte sisters, while still maintaining an entertaining fictional narrative. It was great to be able to get into the mind of the author of one of my favorite books of all time. I feel that Eagland's Emily was both believable and entertaining and I thoroughly enjoyed the story.
Melanie Buckley
Dec 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
This historical fiction is a struggle to read. It would be a great literature circle text in British Literature or AP Literature. It lacks edgy content. Small, select passages could be used to juxtapose with historical fiction written about the Bronte sisters---to compare and contrast with Bronte's writing about family relationships (perhaps).

Linda
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was disappointed in this novel portraying the troubles of an adolescent Emily Bronte. She is not a sympathetic character and seems more like a petulant little girl than an anguished teen. The overwhelming explanatory narrative detracts from the story. Catherine Reef's biography, The Bronte Sisters, is much more engaging.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Mar 26, 2015 12:52PM
  • The Revelation of Louisa May
  • Velocity
  • Anastasia and Her Sisters
  • Emily's Ghost
  • Liberty's Fire
  • Brontë
  • Poppy in the Field (Poppy, #2)
  • The Brontes at Haworth
  • Starving for Attention: A Young Woman's Struggle with and Triumph Over Anorexia Nervosa
  • Nashville Chrome
  • The Secret Adventures of Charlotte Brontë (The Secret Adventures of Charlotte Brontë #1)
  • Keep Her
  • Curses and Smoke
  • The Key Is Love: My Mother's Wisdom, A Daughter's Gratitude
  • Wild Lily
  • The Journals Of Louisa May Alcott
  • The Brontës:  Charlotte Brontë and Her Family
  • The Sisters of Battle Road: The Extraordinary True Story of Six Sisters Evacuated from Wartime London