Start by marking “The Assassination Option (Clandestine Operations, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Assassination Option (Clandestine Operations, #2)

The Assassination Option

(Clandestine Operations #2)

In Top Secret, W.E.B. Griffin introduced a remarkable new cast of heroes as they found themselves on the front lines of an entirely different kind of war. Now, these men and women are going to find out what they’ve really gotten themselves into.
James Cronley thought he had done well—he didn’t know he’d done this well.

His first successful mission for the about-to-be-offic

Published December 30th 2014 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about The Assassination Option, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Assassination Option

Robert
Jan 02, 2015 rated it did not like it
I have been a fan of W.E.B. Griffin for many years. The depth of story telling within his various series has been quite extraordinary and have given me hours of reading enjoyment over the years which makes my review of his latest novel painful. You see one of my favorite books of his writing is a distant fore-runner to this novel titled Honor Bound. It's of a green OSS recruit sent on what may very well be a suicide mission into Argentina to find a German Submarine resupply ship and deal with it ...more
Tim
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Tired of Jimmies' insecurities. After a promising beginning this story lags and veers off course. I'm used to better from Griffin. 4 of 10 stars
Pierre Tassé
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
The last 25% of the book became interesting enough to earn it 2 stars vice 1...but if I could, it would be 1 1/2 stars.,,,,,....the hero in this book is no "I wish I were him" hero...so why is this interesting and why do people read it...well, it is written by WEB Griffin (though that is not going to be much of an attraction) and it has a catchy title...CLANDESTINE....well, the whole book seems clocked in "this should have been a good story but isn't" .
Jean
Dec 31, 2014 rated it liked it
This is book two in the new series entitled Clandestine Operation Series. Captain James Cronley is back with the same characters we met in book one.

Cronley is now in charge of running the European division of the Directorate of Central intelligence, now known as the CIA. We are introduced to some new characters such as Maksymilian Ostrowski, a free Polish Air Force veteran now a displaced person. Russian triple-agent Seven-K who spied for the Abwehr Ost is also revealed in this story.

One of the
Dick Reynolds
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

The setting for this novel is Occupied Germany in late 1945. The main character appears to be newly-promoted Army Captain James Cronley who has been assigned as the Chief of Directorate of Central Intelligence—Europe. In addition to various U. S. Army and Navy characters, Cronley is also working with a German General who somehow survived the war.
After reading about 140 pages of this book, I’m giving up. Besides not being able to get involved with the pl
Andy
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
I can’t help but feel like there’s something missing here. It just doesn’t feel like a complete story. Mr Cronley is back on the cusp of the CIA becoming a reality. He’s in occupied Germany looking after the Nazi’s the US is trying to get to Argentina while fighting off snooping from other government organizations and trying to figure out how to get their NKGB turn-coat’s family out of the Soviet Union. Sounds like a lot going on but it just drags or is it the same plot line over and over again. ...more
Andrew
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. I can never wait for W.E.B. Griffin's books to come out! As always, the interplay between the characters captures your attention and it is hard to put the book down. What is interesting is, that upon review, not a lot of actual action takes place - and it does not matter. The only complaint I have is that for all of the series, what once were individual novels, most of the new books are more of quick episodes of a series.
Jackie
May 12, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing

I love Griffin's work, but this new series isn't the same. Though written well as always, the entire book was all politics and setup, again, just like the first in the series. I was 98% done with the book before any action happened. I'm glad I borrowed the book from the library, as I would not have wanted to pay for it. I don't know that I will read the next in the series.
George
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
A typical Griffin, young "unqualified" Texan who at 22 is an expert pilot, sex maniac and says what comes to his mind all too frequently, becomes involved with the buxom Non Com, hob nobs with more mature "spies, and general officers and then of course at last, saves the day.

The story is repeated and repeated and repeated because Griffen is paid by the word obviously.

These tales have been going far downhill since the Coprs Series
Victor Vilchiz
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have to say that I sort of missed the funny, fast paced story from Mr. Griffin and Co... I got what I have grow to like from his books. Thank you... looking forward to the next episode in any of the series.
Dean Arnett
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great folo to top secret. Can't wait for the next installment.
Tom Tischler
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
James Cronley thought that he had done well - he didn't know how well. His first successful
mission for the new Central Intelligence Directorate has drawn all kinds of attention some
welcome some not. On the plus side he is now a captain promoted to Chief, PCI, Europe and
in charge of a top secret spy operation. On the minus side a lot of people would like to know
about that operation including not only the Soviets, his own Pentagon and a furious
J Edgar Hoover. Conley knows that if anything goes wr
Spenser
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
It was simply OK. The book started out as if WEB 4th had finally gotten the hang of his dad's writing style. However, it didn't take but maybe half of the book to dash my hopes. Its disappointing how the 4th is apparently bringing down his old man's rep as a prestigious story teller. Too much repetitive BS, too much wimpy inexperienced Jimmy, and virtually no action. I finished this one and am into the next (Curtain of Death) as I had borrowed both e-books from my library. Sadly, I would never s ...more
Jess
Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it
This isn't the best of W.E.B. Griffin's books. Of course, this isn't really his. It's his name on the book but written by his son. Unfortunately, as happens when authors do this, the substitute author doesn't have the same skill as the original.

The characters in this one follow a pattern that will be very familiar to anyone who's followed any of Mr. Griffin's series. A young man with unexpectedly high connections (as in, Presidential) and sudden authority beyond anything normal, as well as massi
William
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A one star story that goes just about nowhere and gives an unrealistic glimpse into that place and time. I gave it an extra star just for my personal remembrance of the occupying US Army in West Germany which I served during the 60's. Part of my assignments had me at the European HQ and in very close proximity with all officer ranks and I find the Griffin's portrayals insulting to the military and almost unbelievable.
John
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
W.E.B. Griffin ... Enough said

I've read as many of Griffin's books and this follows the same pattern. Very detailed and a lot out characters to follow. I will give myself a break and let Griffin's book rest, while i give another author a chance to engage my imagination and entertain me.
Mary
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
Great fun. I kept thinking this was a serious military intelligence thriller, but then the dialogue would start. And all the secret agendas and 'inter office' politics! Sometimes the reader gets what Jimmy is thinking right before he speaks. Let's not forget the plethora of characters (hard to keep them straight sometimes). It's all very witty and enjoyable.
Andrea
Clandestine Operations series continues another series of WEB Griffin novels of World War II Honor Bound. Following the complete surrender of Germany, the Allies have moved to manage the Peace. This series is in a sense the continuation of the OSS, now disbanded. Truman has authorized DCI, and the organization is in its infancy.
Rod
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
A likable read. Griffins characters are similar in his various series but he weaves in some history and a fun plot. He seemed to have gotten sick of writing at the end of the book or had to make deadline. A came to an abrupt close. Setting up for the next I'm sure. Which may be out already I assume.
Jeff Chase
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it
The run up to the mission was longer the the Op Order for D-Day. The mission itself was like the last 2% of the book, and seemed anticlimactic.

Also, are any of the female characters these guys know flat-chested or homely?

But yeah, I’ll read the next entry in the series.
Pastor Parker
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is Griffin's best

The character develpment of Cronley, Tiny, Brunhilde etc is amazing. I've read most of Griffin's series 4 or 5 times through, and this attempting the third, and it still amazes me...
Larry
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great story by W. E. B. Griffin.

This is a typical example of excitement that this author can weave into a military action book. It keeps you reading all night long.
Mari
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not a lot of action, but the development of the new DCI is very interesting, and well-written.
MICHAEL D. CASTLE
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is going to be a really good series.

Nicely done. This will be a good series. Excellent character development as he moves through his story. I look forward to his next chapter.
Terry
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book

WEB Griffin is one of my favorite authors. Enjoy every book he writes and this series is no exception. Recommend to anyone
Marianne
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Much ado about nothing! Book should have been half as long. It is filled with sophomoric chatter that doesn’t add to a weak story line.
Garry Boyette
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WEB Griffin is one of my favorites. I think he takes us inside of the military and gives us an up close view of how it really operates. Not everyone’s cup of tea, but I really enjoy them
Donna
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: challenge-2019
Right after WW11, Jim and his crew have to get a Russian woman and her two young children out of Russia and to Argentina where their father and husband is.
Richard
About half of the is a recap of first in series.
Will
Feb 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: WEB Griffin junkies
SUBJECTIVE READER REVIEW FOLLOWS;

Okay, I'm a big WEB Griffin fan, and have assigned 5 Stars to 17 of his novels; so I'm a very balanced fan and reader. When I give one of his books three stars, you know I'm disappointed. First of all, here I am after reading 481 pages, scoured internet reviews and I still ain't got a freaking clue what the assassination option was!!! I get it that the end of WW II signaled the start of the Cold War, so our definitions of enemies flip-flopped. Fair enough, but th

• A Dubious Crime (Colton Banyon Mysteries, #9)
  • Choosing One Moment: A Time Travel Mystery
  • The Lost City (Jaguar Stones #4)
  • Shoot the Dog  (Virgil Cain Mysteries #3)
  • Steam and Stratagem
  • Battlecruiser
  • Lost City of the Templars (Templar, #8)
  • Drone Strike (Dreamland, #15)
  • Lady Justice and the Vet
  • Valley of Kings (TombQuest, #3)
  • The Joshua Effect
  • The Smoke at Dawn (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #3)
  • Luther: Biography of a Reformer
  • Silent Sea (The Silent War, #2)
  • The Lost Treasure of the Templars (The Lost Treasure of the Templars #1)
  • Urban Outlaws (Urban Outlaws, #1)
  • The Trail to Peach Meadow Canyon (Louis L'Amour)
  • Fallen Angels (Crowning Mercy, #2)
W.E.B. Griffin is one of several pseudonyms for William E. Butterworth III.

From the Authors Website:

W.E.B. Griffin is the #1 best-selling author of more than fifty epic novels in seven series, all of which have made The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Publishers Weekly, and other best-seller lists. More than fifty million of the books are in print in more than ten languages, including Heb

Clandestine Operations (5 books)
  • Top Secret (Clandestine Operations #1)
  • Curtain of Death (Clandestine Operations, #3)
  • Death at Nuremberg (Clandestine Operations, #4)
  • The Enemy of My Enemy (Clandestine Operations #5)
“the RAF.” 0 likes
“someone who could be given Presidential and Lindbergh clearances, and I needed him right” 0 likes