Start by marking “Boo” as Want to Read:
Boo

Boo

* Winner of the Hugh MacLennan Prize for Fiction.
* Nominated for the Canadian Library Association Young Adult Book Award.
* Nominated for the Sunburst Award.
* Nominated for the Alex Award.
* Longlisted for the Prix des libraires du Québec.

From Neil Smith, author of the award-winning, internationally acclaimed story collection Bang Crunch, comes a dark but whimsical debut no
Published May 12th 2015 by Vintage

To ask other readers questions about Boo, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Stephanie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Boo
Elyse  Walters
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Believe the hype!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU Angela!!!!
Sad -beautiful - heartbreaking!!!
"Do You ever wonder, Dear Mother and Father, what kind of toothpaste angels use in heaven? I will tell you".

Author Neil Smith rocks!!! --amazing imagination!! I love *Boo*

4.8 - I wanted a little different ending --I'll keep thinking about it awhile longer
Angela M
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love when I read a book that truly gets to me and one that I know will have a lasting impact on me . Boo is one of those books . And once in a while I read a book that gets to me so much that it leaves me kind of a mess - torn between sadness and the happiness of feeling hope . Boo is one of those books too .

Thirteen year old Oliver "Boo" Dalrymple self described "pariah" had not a friend on earth . He's a nerd and he's bullied and as you find out from the first page , is dead and in the heave
Carol
Apr 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carol by: Angela M
Shelves: ebook, fantasy, read-2015
I Hate Bullies!...... When I was a young girl, I had an unpleasant encounter with a group of older school boys, but I was lucky.....I happened to have a big 6'2" brother who had many big friends so I never did have so much as a hint of trouble again......not so lucky is 13 year old Boo.

Oliver Dalrymple, nicknamed Boo bc of his ghost-like appearance is a geek and a pariah, has literally no friends, an inoperable hole in his heart and a broken sole. In this uniquely written novel, Boo tells his st

Diane S ☔
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had a bit of trouble getting into this book in the beginning, but the plot was so intriguing I kept reading and I am so glad I did.

This book is original, inventive, poignant, fascinating and wildly imaginative. I love the characters, the roles they take on and the twists and turns in a plot in which I kept thinking I knew the answer. A book I am sure I will remember.

Esil
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you to Random House of Canada and Netgalley for an opportunity to read an advance copy of Boo. A high 4 stars! If you're going to read this book, be prepared to suspend disbelief, not to be too fussed about logic, not to try to figure what genre this book falls into and to just let yourself go along for the ride. And then it will be a great ride -- funny, plenty sad, moving and very quirky. It took me a while to let go of my inclination to figure out what was really going on, but once I di ...more
TL
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 - 4 stars

This was a mixed book for me. First half I enjoyed it but wasn't fully invested in the story. At first, I didn't connect with their version of heaven fully, not because it offends me or anything, just seemed odd to me. It grew on me slowly over the course of the book though.

Funny, sad, poignant, and quirky would describe this book best I think. Once I got used to Oliver's narration and let go of trying to figure out some stuff, it was easier to fall into the story.

Loved Johnny/Oliv
Ashley Daviau
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was just so stunning and completely heartbreaking! I was originally skeptical that our narrator was a thirteen year old boy, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to relate. But holy cow, was I ever wrong! Boo was incredibly mature for his age and the way he told his story instantly sucked me right in! This is such a beautiful story, I love the image of heaven that the author created. It's really quite unlike anything I've come across before! I loved that no matter your religion or bel ...more
Jaksen
Feb 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

I had a hard time getting through this book and for one reason, I really didn't care about it. Not the characters, the storyline, the setting. Nothing about it appealed to me. (And I am a huge fan of both Andrew Smith and Patrick Ness, both of whom write similar books.) It simply did not hold my attention, however...

Due to the many high ratings and glowing comments re. 'Boo,' I forced myself to finish the book. Am I glad I did? I suppose so. There were som
Ashley
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Literally everyone
Shelves: edelweiss
Oh. My. God. I would write something witty or nice here but my brain can only form three words in a loop: Oh my god. Ohmygod, ohmygod, ohmygod! This book! Suffice to say, this book blew my mind. It was fantastic in the way that I hope all books could be, but rarely manage to even reach the threshold. This book was greatness that I could hold in my hands, and I am not even exaggerating. I beg each and every one of you to read it.

The Cover:
This cover shows Oliver (AKA Boo) shut inside of his schoo
Erin
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ARC for review.

From its great opening line, "Do you ever wonder, dear mother and father, what kind of toothpaste angels use in heaven?" I was hooked on this wonderfully inventive story of Boo, a thirteen year old boy who has arrived in...heaven(?). He isn't quite sure why he's there at first, but gradually learns more and more, and also makes friends (which is new for him...he speaks as if he may have been on the spectrum prior to heaven, but Zig (God) fixes little things like that in heaven) a
Catherine McKenzie
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Neil Smith has a fantastic imagination. Imagine heaven was segregated by age and geography and some of the rules from "real life" applied and some ... did not. What would you do? How would you react? Now what if you found out you'd been murdered? Would you try to track down your killer? Would you even think he was in heaven? Smith explores all of these questions and more in this deft and funny debut. Highly recommend.
Roberta Jayne
May 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
I enjoyed this so much and I'm not even sure why! Boo was so intriguing, oh my goodness. The story follows a boy - Boo - that essentially wakes up in a heaven reserved for only thirteen year old American kids, he then gets on with his fairly normal, yet curious, afterlife for a few days until he is unexpectedly told that he did not die of a heart problem like he thought he did, but he was actually murdered. He was shot while at school and one of the other victims of the shooting is also in heave ...more
Denise
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, 2015-reads
When you read a lot of books, I think it becomes harder and harder to find one you would describe as "unique." This book is definitely unique. It tells the story of a 13 year old boy and his time in heaven. It's nothing like any heaven I have ever heard of or imagined, but it's certainly an interesting place. I strongly recommend this one -- for teens or adults.

Note: Based on all the recent press about books by kids who have been in a coma or had near-death experiences and lived to tell the sto
Sam
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was very unique. Full review to come!
Christy
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of the reasons I love goodreads. I'm not sure that I would of read it if I hadn't seen friends reviews. I would of totally missed out. This book is so good and so heartbreaking. I think I started to suspect what was going on in the middle of the book but, ignored it. I didn't want it to be true. The end though. As much as I would of loved a different ending, it had to be that way. Otherwise what lesson was learned? So good and sad. Did I mention I hate bullies with a passion?
Katlynn Parsons
I received Neil Smith's ARC of Boo for free through GoodReads FirstReads.

I absolutely love everything about this cute and quirky novel. I have to admit, I was caught off guard on multiple occasions. Just when I thought I had the figured out the the truth, a curve ball is thrown; kept the reading interesting.

(view spoiler)
Erin Lynn
According to FTC guidelines, I must state that I won a galley of this book through the Goodreads First Reads program.

Unfortunately, this book is not for me because it is boring me to sleep. Perhaps a full review is to come.
Wiebke (1book1review)
OMG, this was an amazing trip. I didn't read the blurb as usual and didn't know what I was getting myself into, and this had me guessing about the characters and the events all the time. And that was so good. When twists and turns were foreshadowed I thought "ah, yes this is where it is going" and then we got there and I was clueless again. Loved it.
Also the narration is really well done, you only get Boo's point of view and you have to rely on his knowledge and understanding of events and it is
Madeline
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, giveaways
I received this ARC from a First Reads Giveaway. Thank you.

I have to say that I have never read a book quite like "Boo". It took me a couple of chapters to actually start appreciating the novel, but then I couldn't put it down.

Boo who has recently died, is now in a "Heaven" for 13 year olds. The premise of the story is centered around how he and another boy at his school had died.

Even though the story wasn't too hard to figure out, it didn't seem to detract too much from the storyline. I reall
Stacy
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don't think I've ever started a review before beginning a book. This time, I am compelled to because the feel of the book is amazing. It's something that only a book geek would appreciate, but the cover is that slightly gritty texture and the pages are those not-quite-as-thick-as-usual ones that make me feel like I'm reading a book from my childhood. Even the smell of the paper seems reminiscent of my early obsession with bookstores. In an era of eReaders and downloaded audiobooks, a book that ...more
Adeeb
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes, you just go to the bookstore, browse through the shelves, and then you are attracted to a certain book's cover. You pick it up, read the synopsis, and you are intrigued. You take a risk, pick the book up, and buy it even though you know nothing about it.

This was exactly my case with this book, and oh boy, I was surprised.

I had no idea what I was getting myself into picking this book up, and oh boy, I did not expect to be so pleasantly surprised.

This book is very unique. It follows Boo
Lorilin
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, arc
Boo, by Neil Smith, is a unique story about a thirteen-year old boy who finds himself, well, dead--without knowing why. While trapped in an afterlife that is never quite understood or explained, he must unravel the details surrounding his strange and sudden death.

I'll be honest, I didn't immediately love this book. In fact, I thought it was painfully boring at first, and I found myself picking it up, putting it down, picking it up, etc. But something really started to click about 75 pages in--I
Chihoe Ho
"Boo" could have gone a number of routes with a title like that. It could have been Boo! with an exclamation point at the end in making a statement, it could have been a weepy story as in Boohoohoo or a Boohahaha laugh-out-loud one, perhaps Boo... in a jeering way. Ultimately, Neil Smith's debut novel had a little of everything which made it enjoyable, but it lost its way partway through, and along with that a little of its magic.

I see the similarity to The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nig
Katie
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It's been a long time since I've had to take a breather when reading a book, but I had to take several while reading this one. What an incredible, horrifying, messed up wonder of a story.
El
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm not going to write a full review on this one, but hooo boyyyy. Heavy and powerful, that's Boo, and I'm a little weepy. Real glad this book was recommended to me, and I'd recommend it to anyone. Read with care, though. This book is dark and deals with heavy topics: suicide, school shootings, murder, afterlife, self harm, violence and vigilante justice.

May Johnny and Boo's blendship live on forever.
Cristina
Nov 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
I hated this book. I found it extremely slow paced and boring. I couldn't connect with any of the characters, and would not recommend this book to anyone.... If I could give it zero stars I would.
R.M.F Brown
Jun 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Won in a Goodreads' giveaway.

On the surface, Boo is an intriguing prospect. A segregated heaven populated by teenagers, full of quirky language, wit, and some interesting wordplay. Such an abundance of riches should result in a tour de force of a novel, something comparable to Lord of the Flies

or Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

Instead, Boo suffers from the lack of courage on the author's part to take this novel where it should really go.

It's not that Boo is poorly wri
Christine (Padfoot's Library)
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
When I was first sent this book, I was intrigued by the cover and the description on the back. Shortly after, the gals at RHC pitched this book at their Blogger Conference and stated that it was as if The Lovely Bones and Lord of the Flies had a baby. I love both those books so I was incredibly excited to start reading this. I love how each chapter begins with an element from the periodic table because that is the last thing that Oliver remembers at his locker before he "meets his maker." Oliver ...more
Sheri
Jan 10, 2017 rated it liked it
This was cute and entertaining, but I wasn't bowled over. I felt at times it was too long (the plot twists a few times, but Smith also just blathers on at several points enjoying himself creating his fictitious heaven. I liked the creativity and the "nitty gritty" details of heaven, but it felt padded at times.

I was also a bit surprised by a school shooting in 1979. I just did a quick Wikipedia search and there have been school shootings forever, but I think of this as a post-Columbine phenomen
bamlinden
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
First off....I'd give this 2 1/2 stars if I could....but I can't -so I'm rounding down.

When I first saw this book and read the back cover I thought it might be an interesting read for my nephew (finding a title for him is a tough task). Rather than just plunge the book his way, I decided to give it a read myself.

It was an interesting story. Very unique. In fact, I have a hard time qualifying it into any sort of category. Made me think a bit....and made me want to see where this was all going t

• Le jeu de la musique
  • Kuessipan
  • Cogito
  • Sauveur & Fils Saison 5
  • Paul à la maison
  • Pomme S
  • Messenger of Fear (Messenger of Fear, #1)
  • Abattre la bête
  • Voler de ses propres ailes (Le journal d'Aurélie Laflamme, #9)
  • Enterrer la lune
  • Frying Plantain
  • Ta maison brûle
  • What Is a Refugee?
  • Le gang des vieux Schnocks
  • Au grand soleil cachez vos filles
  • Comme des images