Start by marking “Apartment Therapy: Complete and Happy Home” as Want to Read:
Apartment Therapy: Complete and Happy Home

Apartment Therapy: Complete and Happy Home

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

The most comprehensive and complete home book from Apartment Therapy, featuring every aspect of design and decorating from floor plans to paint, specific rooms to style approaches, with the goal of setting up and living well in a place you love.

“A complete and happy home is so much more than a series of pretty rooms. Between these two covers, we’
Published September 15th 2015 by Potter Style (first published May 19th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Apartment Therapy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apartment Therapy

Peter Derk
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Ecch.

HGTV, are you listening right now? Apartment Therapy, open your fucking ears and your eyes and whatever other holes you have that can do listening.

You all need to do a show/book/whatever about people who are in ACTUAL apartments with ACTUAL spaces and what they look like and ACTUAL budgets and who DON'T want to spend $10,000 renovating an apartment they'll live in for less than a year.

Seriously, where is that show? Where is that book?

And how great would it be? "Hi, I'm Dan. I'm living in Ch
Robert Durough, Jr.
Sep 05, 2015 rated it liked it
I picked up Apartment Therapy: Complete and Happy Home by Maxwell Ryan and Janel Laban because I thought it was going to be a helpful book for getting ideas for apartments; you know, those places where you have little decision in floor plans, can’t really change appliances, can’t paint walls, etc. Basically, I was really excited about the “Apartment Therapy” part. Though most wouldn’t know it, I do like interior design—the artist in me can’t not care about it. I tend to lean in the practical, fu ...more
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.5 Stars
This is a decent decorating book, containing some beautiful pictures. I found the sections related to floor planning to be the most useful. This book is more inspirational than instructional, with the majority of the book displaying various interiors. Many of the rooms features were too esoteric or eclectic for my personal tastes. I didn't find many ideas I could use in my own decorating plans.
Alicia
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the wide variety of homes shown in this book. More often, it taught me what I don't like than what I do like, which is still valuable info. The book claims to celebrate every style, but of course it does have a point of view. It's a more moneyed, sophisticated city perspective. As an example, the flooring options didn't mention any sort of vinyl product, and it says to get an antique when you can't get something custom.
Danielle
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
My eclectic collector/simple chic/organic modern self really enjoyed this book!
sleeps9hours
Feb 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Nice to flip through pretty homes while the kids are in swim lessons. Tiny bedroom on p. 231 is great. No ideas I really could/would use, but just looking at other people’s clean and decorated spaces makes me happy.

I like the year-round maintenance calendar on p. 278. Not comprehensive, but it’s a start.
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: home
I finally returned this to the library this evening. Many good ideas; one of the most comprehensive and attractive books on decorating and taking care of a home I have read. Loved it. I liked almost all the rooms, even when they were not really my style. And I also liked the emphasis on cooking at home, inviting people over, and taking care of one's home.
Kirstin
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fantastic collection of photos of small space living areas. Perfect for eclectic mixes of personal items mixed with really good interior advice.
Hannah
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the photos.
Nadine
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is full of beautiful home decor pictures that will inspire great ideas for your own home! The book is broken down in to three main parts: Setting Up Your Home, Living in Your Home and Maintaining Your Home. It helps you chose the right type of house, and different styles of decor to fit your lifestyle and tastes. Don’t let the title fool you though. This isn’t so much about an apartment as it is a house. But the concepts can apply to both.

There are sections of the book that break down
Christie
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Having recently moved into a new apartment, and on my own for the first time, I started visiting the Apartment Therapy site multiple times a day. For advice on storage, living in a small space, how to fit all my stuff into my small kitchen, and how to make it MY home. I was excited to get a copy of their new book to review, "Apartment Therapy Complete and Happy Home," so I could lay on my new couch and stare at photos of beautiful homes for hours, and what enjoyable hours they were.

While this is
Melissa
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have seen various diy aspects to Apartment Therapy and loved the rooms they decorate. So, when I saw this book was up for review I decided to try it. I was hoping for some diy decorating but didn't quite get that. It is mostly for decorating in general and it has some beautiful pictures to go along with their examples.

While I don't think I'll ever achieve a perfect Apartment Therapy house, I do like looking at the pictures and perhaps get an idea or two to incorporate into my own home. While I
Elizabeth
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love home decorating and organizing books. I love peeks into people's homes, peeks into their style, peeks into who they are (because you can tell a lot about a person by their home).

Though I long ago figured out that my decorating style is a bit of whimsy and a lot of vintage, paired with a teeny amount of kitsch (seriously!) this book just sealed the deal for me when it described the one bedroom I loved with the title "The world-of-whimsy bedroom" (I'll take everything but the creepy cat!).
Racheal L.
Jul 11, 2016 rated it liked it
I have been wanting to get my hands on this book for too long and when I finally did I found myself disappointed. Don't get me wrong this book has some great inspirational photos, sound advice and seems to have some apartment friendly ideas , however, it seemed to me as if this book was geared toward apartment owners and not renters. If I was to ever create an apartment space from the ground up this book would be a better match. There are a ton of ideas/tips suggested that most renters would nev ...more
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a good book for design ideas. While it's by Apartment Therapy, it focuses on the whole home, with an emphasis on small spaces.

I wasn't too keen on the first part, finding a home. But when they got to the rest of the set up, the diagrams for room flow were helpful. And the photos are beautiful, with lots of great ideas by room.

The maintenance section is good, though a little ambitious for me. But this would be a good gift for a first-time home owner. I checked it out for decorating idea
Molly
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: bloggingforbooks
I was expecting to get a lot more out of this book. It's billed as a how to interior design book but there weren't that many useful tips. There was a small section on floor plans that was nice and I also enjoyed the section about organizing but this book didn't motivate me to start decorating. It's mostly filled with pictures of people's homes in a "look at their aesthetic" way, not a "here's how they did this and how you can apply it to your own home" way. This is something that I flipped throu ...more
Hanah
Oct 26, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was very interesting and fascinating. There were aspects of home decor I had never thought of (home decor is also not my strong suit), but I was a little disappointed that it became another book about homes, not so much apartments. I read this in the hopes of being able to make a comfortable space out of an apartment with all the restrictions that may come with a typical apartment complex. Though it did give me ideas and was helpful in some aspects, it seemed to require more than what ...more
hhhhhhhhh
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
The advice is okay but too basic, like the intended audience was high school students. Some of the photographs contradicted the otherwise pretty good advice and depicted garish, cluttered, dysfunctional, unwelcoming, trying too hard and failing spaces. What's with this dreadful fascination with layering throw rug upon throw rug upon throw rug? What a mess. Two good takeaways: the monthly cleaning calendar and advice on how high to hang pictures.
Audrey
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I rarely "read" design books. I don't care anything about the advice, all the foundation work, etc. I just want to look at pretty pictures and maybe read a little bit about why people made certain design decisions. That's all. So I enjoyed this quite a bit -- loved all the different "styles" combined with different rooms. This is something you can pick up and browse through randomly, which is usually what I'm looking for in design books.
Anne
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was full of a lot of wonderful inspiration and great ideas.

The only thing I was annoyed with was that they didn't have a single standard apartment or condo sized balcony in their outdoor spaces section (despite having both well represented in the other sections). I would have loved some outdoor inspiration at my scale.
Cody
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: design, style
Really? I am supposed to buy this book before I have an apartment/house? Really?
Someone did not think that assumption through, resulting in useless filler at the beginning of (and throughout) the book.
Coleen
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'll be checking this one out again from my local library. Easy to read - text and the visuals- pictures are well-explained. Had a and great time reading and studying the illustrative photos. Many ideas on what to do with small spaces. Walked away lots of ideas.
Leanda
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the organization of this book ( setting up your home, living in your home and maintaining your home). I still love Apartment Therapy -- but wish the book highlighted "realistic" interiors more.
LemontreeLime
Oct 04, 2015 rated it liked it
This is essentially a frozen snapshot of the best of the blog, which isn't a bad thing at all. Some new extremely helpful charts are included between chapters, loads of glossy to die for photos of other people's homes.
Tiffany
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2016
Had a few good lists as far as maintenence of your home, but there wasn't as much decorating advice as I'd hoped and what was there wasn't really too helpful if you didn't fit into one of their style profiles. Kind of a fun book to flip through, but that's about it.
Cheryl
Oct 31, 2015 rated it liked it
nice photos. hip. practical advice. eBook seems to dropped the end of chapters, like a maintenance/cleaning plan for every month but Nov & Dec. need to compare to print. focus was on houses. would've liked to see some advice for standard apartments, too.
Candy
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
We are downsizing after living in one home for 25 years, so I needed some ideas for smaller spaces. I got those, and also enjoyed the section at the end about housekeeping and repairs.
Dori
Oct 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Fun to flip through for design and decorating ideas.
Jenny
4 stars for the cover and photos alone; however, printing errors and not a ton of content drop it to a 3. Still, a lovely coffee table book.
Carol
Mar 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Practical info for people starting out but not as many design ideas as I expected/hoped, especially as a long-time apartment dweller.

• domino: Your Guide to a Stylish Home
  • Lovable Livable Home: How to Add Beauty, Get Organized, and Make Your House Work for You
  • The New Bohemians: Cool and Collected Homes