Start by marking “The Knockoff” as Want to Read:
The Knockoff

The Knockoff

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  12,791 ratings  ·  1,605 reviews
An outrageously stylish, wickedly funny novel of fashion in the digital age, The Knockoff is the story of Imogen Tate, editor in chief of Glossy magazine, who finds her twentysomething former assistant Eve Morton plotting to knock Imogen off her pedestal, take over her job, and reduce the magazine, famous for its lavish 768-page September issue, into an app.

When Imogen ret
Published May 19th 2015 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about The Knockoff, please sign up.
Euan Rellie It's called The Knockoff in the US. It's called Techbitch in the UK/Australia.
Katsuro Ricksand Go to "My Books. Click on "Want to read." Hover the mouse pointer over the book, and click "edit." Then, click "delete review." All set!

·  12,791 ratings  ·  1,605 reviews

Kristie Helms
May 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book was ridiculous and horrible. I don't get for a second the rave reviews from others -- are they friends with the author? Were they paid?

The premise itself was bizarre. A 40-something who until recently had her emails printed out for her by her assistant? Seriously? 40-somethings are the GenX generation -- the generation that's been online from the beginning.

Also you've got to be kidding me that someone gets to be editor of a major fashion publication without having more of a backbone
Jenna
You don't pick up People Magazine expecting the musings of Thoreau, and you don't expect the worker at the McDonald's drive-thru window to pass you some organic kale. Likewise, you wouldn't -- I hope -- pick up this book expecting much more than fluffy, frivolous, fashion-themed fun. If your expectations remain thus reasonable, then this book delivers. The book is like a really successful Forever 21 dress, one that's a great copy of a truly on-trend style: there's not much substance to it, and i ...more
Dee
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I've had dinners with twentysomethings where the meal was delayed because they had to photograph the food first, and I've been at events where I've sat in silence surrounded by dozens of young people with their noses buried in smartphones.

Because of this generation gap, and because I still use hotmail and a Nokia that doesn't do Internet, I found the protagonist of this breezy chick lit novel charming. Imogen is a forty-something big time editor of a fashion magazine who understands the value o
Diane Barnes
WHAT THIS BOOK IS NOT: 1. Great literature
2. Socially redeeming in any way

WHAT THIS BOOK IS: 1. A lot of fun to read
2. Very satisfying to anyone with revenge
fantasies

Technology vs real life interaction is a major theme here, as is aging dinosaurs (at 42, no less) vs young upstarts in the business world. The fashion industry in this case, but I work for a large corporation, and I saw comparisons even in my lowly status as a part-timer.

FAVORITE QUOTES FROM THIS BOOK: "Have we all become so des
Gin Boswick
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure: I know Lucy well and have met Jo only once for five minutes.

This book is a must--deep, fun, intense, never heavy-handed--it made me cry with laughter when I wasn't pondering its interesting takes on life and adulthood and the struggles of (wo)men within it. You don't have to know anything about fashion to get the references and humor, and I guarantee that after reading this rollicking ride through the fashion world you will never look at a magazine spread the same way again.

I
Angela Holtz
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely fell for Imogen Tate. I'm not a person who is into fashion, but the feeling of being overwhelmed, of being left behind can be universal...especially with women. She had a beloved assistant, Eve, who left to go to Harvard Business School. When Imogen returns from fighting breast cancer, she finds Eve has returned and that absolutely everything about her beloved magazine has changed. Everything is online, there is no longer going to be a print version, and Eve undermines every single ...more
Natalie TBGWP
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Yay, we finally have a book that not only kicks complete ass, but is totally up-to-date, and isn’t another cliched romance or cafe related read.

I absolutely loved this book. It’s current, it’s sassy, it’s funny, and it’s extremely clever. The plot is dynamite, the flow is fast and furious. It’s a book that had me wanting to climb into its pages in anger one minute and giggling the next. It never stopped shocking and to be totally honest it’s just far too cool.

Heroine Imogen is a total sweetheart
Karen
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
It was fine. I felt the character read a lot older than she was written. I'm 40, she is suppose to be 42, but I felt she read more like 72. I mean, who is in their 40s and here in 2015 (which is when the book takes place) and doesn't know how to use the Internet. How would this woman, who is suppose to be EIC of a top fashion magazine have been in her position only a year earlier, before the dreaded "C word," and not have been live Tweeting at any of the Fashion Weeks? It was a quick read that w ...more
Stephanie Anze
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Imogen Tate comes back to work as editor in chief of Glossy Magazine after a six-month absence. Having recovered from a health issue, Imogen is primed to get back where she left off except that the office she walks into is a completely different world. Where once her trusted and experienced editors that Imogen hand-picked stood, now there is a large group of twenty-something women. At the helm is Eve Morten, Imogen's former assisant. Armed with a Harvard MBA and an attitude better suited for the ...more
Sharon Redfern
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! A modern take on the All About Eve story, it's the classic grasping young girl tries to take down her older and wiser mentor/boss. Imogen is the Editor in Chief of glossy magazine and comes back from medical leave to discover that her much loved fashion magazine has become a digital app and is mostly being run by her backstabbing one time assistant Eve. After an initial tough time getting back in the new techie groove, Imogen puts her big girl panties on and learns to integrat ...more
Rana
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Best book ever. I mean, no, not really, obviously. Best book ever is probably something by stinking Hemingway or another dead white male. But this is like second best book ever. Full of fist-pumping fun.
Anita
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Knockoff is a wonderful mixture of smart humor, great characters and a plot that addresses so much about today's world. I loved Imogen and thoroughly enjoyed the story. Highly recommended!
Dianne
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
This may be touted as a different take on the book, “The Devil Wears Prada”, but any of the ‘gray hairs’ that this book pokes fun at will know in an instant that this is an updated, tech-filled remake of “All About Eve”. You might even say that it has just a touch of the original 1939 “The Women” added to the mix too. Granted it really does have a generous helping of The Devil Wears Prada also!

This was really a depressing book for me at the start. I too am a tech dinosaur/gray hair just hanging
Amy
3.5 stars for the plot + 1.5 stars for the absolutely fabulous narrator

This was an absolutely delicious audio book and if you decide to read The Knockoff, I recommend checking it out in the audio format. Katherine Kellgren somehow manages British accents, valley-girl accents, and start-up tech nerd without once making it feel forced or awkward. Delightful.

I adored the first half of this book. I enjoyed the second half. Unfortunately, the sheer drama of the second half detracts from what I enjoy
Dana Blazsek
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
So, let's be honest here. This is not a book that will make you think deep. It's not a book that will be a book of the year. But I loved it. Four stars some may wonder. Why not? I knew what it was when I picked it up. A book that was a fun look into the colliding worlds of print and tech. And it kept turning pages. I knew how it would end-- or at least an idea-- but that didn't stop me from devouring this book in less than 24 hours.

Imogen Tate just returned to Glossy, a fashion magazine, after
britt_brooke
Apr 03, 2018 rated it liked it
“Have we all become so desperate to share everything that we’ve stopped enjoying our lives?”

I enjoy a good satire. This didn’t have me LOLing quite as much as their other collaboration, Fitness Junkie, but it was still smart and clever. This pokes fun at techie millennials, social media, and ageism but also hits a lot of positive notes. It’s a good palate cleanser.
Lulufrances
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Give me a book taking place in the fashion industry, mix in social media and the socalled Digital Natives generation and I'm sure to gobble it up.
I mean, some of my fav films are The September Issue and The Devil Wears Prada, so really, no-brainer.
(Also -> COVER! So sleek and chic. The title! Baaam. I do not understand why the US edition has such a horrendous cover and actually a different name. Not good marketing in this specific case, in my opinion.)

This is my typical guilty pleasure book,
Marcee Feddersen
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it

This book started out slow. I understand that the authors were trying to make the point that the heroine, Imogen, is supposed to be so old and outdated (she was 42!!! If you didn't know that, you would have thought she was 85 or slightly slow) that she is in danger of becoming irrelevant. But the initial build up for this was so over the top that it was embarrassing. It's hard to

Oh, Imogen......

believe that a 42 year old editor in chief of a national fashi
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pure escapist fun -- dressed in Versace.

Imogen Tate, well-respected 42-year old Editor in Chief of Glossy magazine, returns from a 6 month medical leave to find that her former assistant (and newly minted Harvard MBA) Eve has convinced the magazine publishers to cease the printed magazine and turn the entire operation into an e-commerce app. Imogen struggles to understand the rapidly changing technology and her relevance in the new corporate structure, while Eve is determined to turn the staff a
Nicole (Read Eat Sleep Repeat)
The Knockoff was a fun and entertaining book. If you read the blurb and thought it sounded kind of similar to The Devil Wears Prada but with something of a role reversal, you’d be right.

This has been on my long list of books I’d like to get to someday since it’s publication back in May of 2015. When I was browsing through audiobooks in my library’s catalog for a lighter read, The Knockoff showed as available and it seemed the time was right to dive in. I will admit, it took me a bit to get into
Rhiannon Johnson
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Read my full review here: http://www.ivoryowlreviews.blogspot.c...

The Knockoff is The Devil Wears Prada 2.0 and I loved every single word! Where we were previously rooting for new girl Andi to take down Miranda, in this novel we are hoping Imogen can oust bratty Eve. Imogen's initial naive observances are cute and laughable, such as:
"But the website was just a necessary appendage of the actual pages of the magazine, used mainly as a dumping ground for favors for advertisers and leftover stories
Helen Dunn
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: four-stars
Fast paced fun book about a young tech-savvy (and evil) editor at a fashion magazine trying to steal the show from her 42 year old "dinosaur" of a boss.

Readers are meant to sympathize with the dinosaur and that was easy for me since I am even older than her and have actually had more than one conversation recently wondering exactly what is the point of Instagram anyway?

Filled with fun characters and while the plot is completely predictable it was still a worthwhile use of time.

Perfect for lig
Donna
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
From the reviews and the front flap, I expected a fun beach read about the fashion/magazine business but this story was so much more. As a working woman who is on the cusp of retirement, I cringed along with the heroine and and cheered for her at the end. It was a clear statement about having values in the workplace....AND a fun beach read!
KL (Cat)
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, adult-2015
Surprisingly a new breath of fresh air in the tired cliched world of chick-lit. Our heroine is fantastically relatable!
Think: What would it be like if the roles of Miranda Priestly and Andrea Sachs were reversed? Tech mishaps, weddings, well-rounded family support; all that and more.

✫✫✫✫
Alicia
Jul 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
This is some Francine Pascal-level shit right here.
 Martin
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I think it’s time for me to focus on 2015 THE KNOCKOFF (called TECHBITCH in the UK) by...

Heather Duff
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh where do I start with this gem of a book?

Right, first of there is one great big obvious comparison that I'll need to discuss before I go any further and that is Techbitch and it's similarity to the Devil wears Prada. Yes they are both set in the glossy world of fashion magazines and yes they feature bitches but Techbitch makes Miranda Priestly look like a Sunday School teacher.

I love this book by the way, it can do no wrong, in fact it is so wonderful I have even learnt some stuff from it, li
Kaitlyn Davis
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really 4.5 but I decided to round up for the star rating because I really really enjoyed reading this book!!

For some reason, even though I'm a millennial and a self-published author whose career is totally thanks to the tech movement, I found myself completely identifying with Imogen! I love technology. I can't imagine my life right now without a cell phone, without Google maps, without Facebook, without digital cameras, heck without Candy Crush, and especially without my self-publishing startu
Debbie
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book even though I spent most of the time I was reading wanting to slap the crap out of Eve. What a horrible, horrible person she is. If she spent as much time working on her app as she did trying to undermine others. It may of worked. But then again, nah, it was all about her. I have never seen such an egotistical person in all my life, well ...

I felt so sorry for Imogene and knew exactly how she felt. At my last job, I was supposed to train this brand new college gradua
Book-shelf Shelf
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imogen has took time out of her work due to an illness, she is a magazine editor the best of the best! When she comes back after 6 months everything has changed. The staff, the world, literally everyhing has gone digital. She finds herself drowning in # selfies, status updating and also finds herself up against Eve her old assistant who now is a tech bitch. Eve was a horrible person but I enjoyed her character so much, she literally didn't give a damn what anyone thought or about anyone. She wa ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine 3 8 Apr 03, 2017 06:43AM
Play Book Tag: The Knockoff by Lucy Sykes and Jo Piazza- 3 Stars 2 17 Feb 20, 2016 11:23AM

• Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • Tales from the Back Row: An Outsider's View from Inside the Fashion Industry
  • Saved by Scandal
  • The Marrying Type
  • Almost True Confessions: Closet Sleuth Spills All (Closet Sleuth #2)
  • When We Were Animals
  • I'm Glad About You
  • Movie Star by Lizzie Pepper
  • The Stylist
  • The Singles Game
Lucy Sykes has worked in the fashion world as a stylist, fashion editor, and fashion director. For six years Lucy was the fashion director at Marie Claire magazine, and was most recently fashion director for Rent the Runway. Her own children’s clothing line, Lucy Sykes New York, was sold in more than a hundred department stores worldwide, including Saks Fifth Avenue, Barneys, Bergdorf Goodman, and ...more
“Imogen sometimes wondered if people weren't letting social media dictate their entire lives. Did they choose to go to one party over another because it would look better on Instagram? Did they decide to read a store just so they could tweet about it? Have we all become so desperate to share everything that we've stopped enjoying our lives?” 9 likes
“Had it not been for that apartment and that sense of ambition that can only be born out of struggle, she wouldn’t be who she was today.” 3 likes