Start by marking “Briar” as Want to Read:
Briar

Read Book

Briar

Trapped behind an impassable wall of enchanted briar, Layka has been cursed by the shadow-sorcerer, Celik. Her one hope lies with Kaye, The Knight of Thorns, who searches for a way to break the curse and set her free.

Set within a time of myth and fairy tale, Briar follows the story of Princess Layka, who seeks an end to the curse that keeps her shut off from the world. Tra
Published by Improper Books (first published 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Briar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Briar

Kaitlin
Nov 15, 2015 rated it liked it
This is the second book I have picked up which is by Benjamin Read and Chris Wildgoose and I have to say I was pleasantly (or maybe more accurate would be brutally) surprised by this book. It starts out with a very classic fairytale of the valiant Prince riding up the the brambles in order to rescue the Princess, and then things start to get rather messy...

This book was a great little sneaky trick, because when I bought it I thought I was getting a fairly standard story, maybe a 2* read, but luc
Muireann
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018, comics
So frustrating that there are no more volumes! It's lovely.
Louise
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
The promise of a really great story, but only part of it - and so short! Gorgeous artwork and I would love to read more.
Eleanor
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I picked up a preview of this at Thought Bubble a couple of years ago and have been looking forward to reading it since then, and it did not disappoint.

Briar takes the fairy tale trope of a princess trapped in a tower waiting for a knight to rescue her and turns it on it’s head. This book acts very much like a first issue, introducing the characters and giving you some clues about what is going on but it doesn’t give you everything. The art is amazing, full of little details. I especially loved
Ceri
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A promising start to a twist on the Sleeping Beauty story. I picked this one up at the Improper Books stand at Thoughtbubble (where i went for Porcelain Bone China) as fairy tales are my thing.
The art is good, the pacing and story telling are really good. It's nice to see another strong female character (which seems to be Chris Wildgoose and Benejamin Read's character staple.) My only real criticism is it seemed to end at a little of an odd place. (That and I would have liked more of it).
But e
Ben
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another excellent example of Read and Wildgoose's skills, with fantastic storytelling that plays with your expectations and has a deep rooted love and knowledge of fairytales, and stunning, intricate art that is exciting, expressive and beautiful. The only downside really is the brevity, and waiting for what comes next.
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Briar is yet another wonderfully illustrated graphic novel from Chris Wildgose accompanying a twist on the Briar Rose fairytale written by Benjamin Read that surprises throughout by playing with the reader's expectations. The only problems with this graphic novel are that it's fairly short and, as the first installments, ends with many, many questions unaswered.
Michelle allan
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing artwork and a fresh and surprising take on the sleeping beauty tale.
Robert
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Playing with fairy tales in a postmodern way, yet without sacrificing a genuinely rich archetypal atmosphere. Would love to read the rest of this tale / series.
Socialite
Selina Lock
Nov 18, 2015
Stephen Hampshire
Oct 25, 2015
Benjamin Read writes comics and makes films. He wrote the multiply award-nominated PORCELAIN: A GOTHIC FAIRY TALE, the silent comic BUTTERFLY GATE, and children’s book, NIGHT POST, as well as the TRUE GRIT and SUPER 8 comic adaptations. He also wrote and produced the films ARMISTICE and 500 MILES NORTH. He is one of the founder members of the Improper Books comics collective, and is fuelled princi ...more