Start by marking “Phantazein” as Want to Read:
Phantazein

Phantazein

You think you know all the fables that have ever been told. You think you can no longer be surprised by stories. Think again.

With origins in myth, fairytales, folklore and pure imagination, the stories and poems in these pages draw on history that never was and worlds that will never be to create their own unique tales and traditions…

The next generation of storytellers is
Published October 3rd 2014 by FableCroft Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Phantazein, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phantazein

Start your review of Phantazein
Mieneke
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, 2014
Fairytales and folk tales are some of the most enduring forms of storytelling. It’s no wonder then that fairytale retellings remain a popular staple of speculative fiction. In Phantazein Tehani Wessely has brought together a set of stories that are as diverse as one can imagine, while all fit under the heading of fairytale (re)telling. Not all of the stories are re-imaginings of classic fairytales, some are based on folk tales or myths and some are original, but all of them are new and entertain ...more
S.B. Wright
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
This collection was never intended to see the light of day, indeed as Tehani, the editor says, “it really shouldn’t exist” Phantazein grew out of the slush pile of the submissions call for another Fablecroft anthology, Insert Title Here.

As I was reading the slush, I uncovered several stories that resonated with me as working very well together but not, it seemed, in an unthemed anthology. To include them in Insert Title Here would have unbalanced the nature of that collection. These stories fel
Matthew Morrison
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
It is rare for me to find an anthology in which so many stories shine or strike a chord. Phantazein is one such book.

It is a collection 'with origins in myth, fairytales, folklore, and pure imagination', says the blurb. Indeed some of the stories borrow from well known folklore and mythology, and others from less familiar sources. But all have a fresh voice and a unique spin, even on some common tropes.

Stand outs for me, in a field of giants, were: Gitte Christensen's 'The Nameless Seamstress',
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Well I may be a little partial seeing as this is by the publisher I intern for, but I didn’t have part in reading through the slush pile and building the anthology; I received it to ensure the interior was set out without any errors (so that’s on me if there are!)

This is clearly one of the best parts of interning for a publisher. Getting to read for work! From the very first piece in this anthology (one of my favourites!) I was swept away. This is a collection of wonderous fantasy, the kind that
Sophie Yorkston
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
When I picked up Phantazein it was the exquisite cover by Kathleen Jennings that first drew me in, knowing what an incredible publishing professional Tehani Wessely is upon seeing her name, and the recognition of several of the contributors.

What I didn’t realise was that this wonderful collection, that surprised Ms Wessely in the way it came together, was the antidote to my frustration at the lack of women’s voices and stories promoted in our genre.

Each and every one of the stories in Phantazein
Sam
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Nameless SEAMSTRESS. OMG. Also Tansy's story was fantastic. Lots of great stuff here!
Thoraiya
Oct 14, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Can't pick a favourite. Ask me again later :D
Tsana Dolichva
Sep 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Phantazein is a fantasy anthology edited by Tehani Wessely. It's heavily fairytale/fable/mythology themed and contains stories by a range of female authors. This is the second all-female anthology Tehani has put together (the first was One Small Step), which is interesting, especially as Phantazein was unplanned.

All the stories in this anthology have very strong fairytale-like themes (a point I unfortunately reiterated a few times when commenting on individual stories). I have to admit this isn'
Elizabeth Fitzgerald
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
In my September review of To Spin A Darker Stair , I anticipated that Phantazein would prove to be more of the same. Having now read it I can say: it is and it isn't. Although Phantazein opens with a fairytale retelling and closes with a mythological retelling, the majority of its stories are original stories that retain a strong fairytale flavour.

The stories that make up the anthology had a nice mixture of cultures. While there were some stories that felt vaguely European, there were also so
Debbie
I was quite impressed with this short story anthology. Each of the stories here are either inspired by a folktale, myth, or fairy tale -- or could have been. The ones which have been inspired by an existing tale turn the familiar story onto its head. The princes in the twelve dancing princesses are as much pawns and prisoners as the princesses. Helen from Troy is a unwitting victim who still has divine powers from her father. Midas is a cruel murderer. The rest of the stories read as if they cou ...more
Cat Sheely
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This is one of the most entertaining anthologies that I've read, and I love anthologies.

The stories are all somewhat in the style of fables but the characters in each story are quite different with their own challenges. From revenge to sacrifice, spiritual guidance and romance, from jungles to wonderful castles, the characters entice you to keep reading.

All the stories are extremely well written and intriguing. My personal favourites are "The Nameless Seamstress" by Gitte Christensen and Nicole
Bethwyn Badger
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-books
4.5 stars. Review to come!
Liz
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Some lovely stories in this book.
Rivqa
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and glorious. Stories to linger in the quiet corners of one's mind.
Jen Eyre
Sep 02, 2018
Jessie
Nov 30, 2019
Tehani
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Mick