Start by marking “Under a Falling Star” as Want to Read:
Under a Falling Star

Under a Falling Star

Falling stars are supposed to be a lucky sign, but not for Austen. Her new job, as a secretary in an international games company in Portland, OR, isn’t off to a good start. Her first assignment—decorating the Christmas tree in the lobby—results in a trip to the ER after Dee, the company’s second-in-command, gets hit by the star-shaped tree topper.

Dee blames her instant att
Published October 30th 2014 by Ylva Publishing (first published October 28th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Under a Falling Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under a Falling Star

Diane
Mar 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Good read! loving,likable and well developed characters,romantic,family drama and an enjoyable storyline with good chemistry and well written..recommend
Diane Wallace
May 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Good read! loving,likable and well developed characters,romantic,family drama/businessWise and an enjoyable storyline with good chemistry and it's well written..recommend
Bethany
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really don't understand how Jae does it, but every time she writes a novel it ends up speaking to me somehow. I've said it before and I'll say it again - there's just something about the way she writes that works for me. I love how she always paints us a story with such full and richly developed characters, and how she always draws out the romance between MCs fully in a story. I know when I pick up one of Jae's novels that I'm in for a slow-burn romance of the best kind!

I know that many of you
Pin
A very entertaining romance. I really like Jae's humorous style of writing. The appearance of Dawn and Aiden put "Conflict of Interest" high on my re-read list.
Lex Kent
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-f-ylva-romance
This was an enjoyable romance book. I find myself really liking how Jae writes. I feel drawn into the characters and hopeful about their relationships, it just makes her books great to read. And Under a Falling Star is no exception. I found both the MC's Austen and Dee to be very likeable, even with Dee's harden exterior.
I thought the romance was a nice pace. No quick "I love yous" so it seemed realistic. I also enjoyed that Austen's best friend happened to be Dawn from Conflict of Interest It
MD
What's not to love?
Is Jae... I love her books.

The Book: we have 2 great MC with a believable chemistry, no insta-love, great dialogues, I love them.
Austen: is an honest, smart and romantic woman who is filled with love.
Dee: My sweet cinnamon roll that everyone thinks is an Ice-queen but in reality, she is just protecting herself. I want to hug her and punch her family.
One of the things I like about Jae's books in that she doesn's add the "80% break up drama mark" we experiment the building of
Megzz
Jan 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: boring, vanilla
I didn't enjoy this story as much as I thought I would. Admittedly, it's not badly written (although sometimes the narration doesn't really flow), and there are some sweet moments. It's a nice quick read but I think I expect a lot more from a romance novel. I expect fireworks, chemistry, sexual tension, fluff, characters I could fall in love with, a powerful love but a believable story. Overall the story had very little of that and left me cold.

The main reason is the lack of originality in the p
Jan
Another happy feel good Jae read. Light fluff but still fun.
Rach (Les Rêveur)
Accidents happen... but this accident leads to a connection nearer protagonist expects. First day of Austen’s new job and she is put to task by decorating the Christmas tree. When the tree topper falls and hit’s Dee on the head Austen doesn’t know that Dee is intact the infamous COO of the company who has the nickname Attila the Hun! But Austen gets to know the person behind the facade and begins to fall deeply for her! But how can a relationship with the boss work?

Jae writing once again was don
Penny
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
A good romance. With an emphasis on romance.

Under a Falling Star gives us two well-drawn characters, Dee and Austen, who meet under fortuitous circumstances. They feel, of course, that initial spark. A kiss happens, but there's a catch: Dee is Austen's boss. What now?

The boss-employee-romance taboo thing is essentially the only thing keeping the leading ladies apart. There's no subplot. This has its upside and its downside. Positively, the relationship is carefully developed. The main character
Joc
I love the way Jae's novels take me on a journey through the relationship. I don't feel like I'm racing to a destination, rather more like meandering through scenery. That's not to say that the journey is all sweetness and light, there are always complications and missed signs.

Under a Falling Star is a common trope where two women meet, get on remarkably well, only to discover that they work together and one of them is the boss. What makes this different is the writing and the characters. It's
T
i made it a couple chapters before having to give up and return the audiobook. the narrator made each mc sound like a flamboyant gay man mixed with Oprah Winfrey. I've been known to listen to anything to the end, even monotone and very amateur narrators.
She tried very hard and maybe had some theater background , lots of feeling and inflection, but nobody talks like that....!
Sorry to say, this is the first audio book in my life that i couldn't finish.
Just a man's point of view
This has really been a fun reading.
Somehow the romance is similar to Gill McKnight Ambereye, but of course without any supernatural or werewolf. However it's the story of a stern, grumpy workaholic boss, Dee, who becomes a total sweetie when love touches her life. An interior journey, the miracle of love in resurrecting our life from a difficult family and a terrible environment.
The plot isn't really anything original, but the atmosphere is charming and the characters both very nice, so you side
Farah
Fantastic read! This is an office+forbidden romance story that you can read during vacation
when suddenly out of nowhere, you found yourself missing work.. Like that ever happened [smirks]
The h/h hit it off rather quickly but nothing serious happened until the 2nd half of the story.
My favorite h?
Austen all the way, Dee was pretty awesome too
[the family and office drama/politics that she went through for many years would have sent me to an early grave but she was a true superwoman] however Aust
Ana
This book killed me. Death by cuteness. Austen and Dee have the perfect office romance which left me with a perma-smile for the rest of the day.
M
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: l-books, romance
Romance with a Capital R.

Jae writes so well, I am constantly amazed that English is not her first language.

A lovely story, well realised and played out to it's logical conclusion.
Jacob Proffitt
I've really loved the two other books by Jae that I've read. I might like this one, but I can't tell because I made the mistake of listening to it on Audible. It's part of the romance package, so I got it for, well not free. So no extra cost?

The story itself has one really grating flaw. The whole "we can't be together because we work at the same place" is kind of stupid. And forever telling people that "Dee is my boss" is even dumber. Dee is the COO. Austen is the administrative assistant in Mar
Susanne
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ff-fiction
An entertaining little romance story, a perfect book to read over a quiet weekend.
IanWAA
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this one, my only complaint I would have liked a bit longer epilogue/conclusion of how Dee left/resolved stuff with her family
Lexxi Kitty
When I first read this book back in November of 2014, I ended up giving it a rating of 5 stars (well, more accurately, a rating of 4.75, but that still means 5 stars were clicked on). After rereading 4 other Jae books this week, and rating all of them higher than I did for their first read, I had a strong suspicion that this one would be as well – rated higher than first read. I was right that my rating changed. But I now wish to rate this somewhere closer to 2.

Before I get into the book or why
Kennedy
Enjoyable read with characters and a story that makes you think about family, friendship, relationship, power balance, and the balance between professional life and personal life. Is it easy to determine which is more important? Danielle Saunders is a workaholic, working hard to what end. Austen Brooks, is recovering from a bummer relationship and starting a new job. Not only is there interesting interaction between Danielle and Austen but the story and surrounding characters makes for a story w ...more
Cloak88
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Best romance I've read this year. 4.5 Stars

Austen's first day on her new job isn't going well. Not good as in escorting someone to the ER with a head wound. Top that off with the fact that Dee, the aforementioned someone (who unintentionally brained herself with the crystal tree topper) might just be someone, she would like to know in a romantic sense, is also her boss's sister working in the same company. A bit complicated would be a good description.

This is my third novel by Jae, and things ke
Natsu
5 shiny star-shaped tree toppers. ^_^

The story is great with well-placed humour and coupley stuff. I was mostly smiling throughout reading it. This reminded me why I read Jae's works.

Characters are likable and the romance was realistic. Toby is such a little sh*staticky noise*
Tara
Really lovely, sweet book. I loved that it showed the progression of the relationship and didn't just make it as far as an "I love you"--I really believed in them as a solid couple when the book ended.
Linda J
Ratings: 4.5 ⭐

Entertaining read.... Being a woman in the corporate world is really hard work - we have to work twice as hard just to prove our worth; and perhaps more so when it’s family owned and dominated by testosterones! Just my 2-cents worth!
BookFiend17
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved Under a Falling Star by Jae. A sweet office place romance that I highly recommend. Austen and Dee meet Under a Falling Star. I really liked the main characters and we also get Dawn from Conflict of Interest. I love when Jae brings in characters from other novels. The book was well paced and kept my attention throughout.
Jaie
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2018
This was another good read near Xmas.
TinyAsian
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all-time-favs
How do I know if the book I am reading is good? When the author makes us fall in love and grow with their characters. And Jae does just that. This is a very easy read and guaranteed to make you feel loved all over again, and again, and again.
~ * K E L L I E * ~
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
A light, entertaining read. Another winner from Jae

Yoly
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-women-2014
Loved it.
I finished the book a few hours ago and I miss the characters already :(
  • Winds of Heaven
  • How Sweet It Is
  • Pitifully Ugly
  • Blessed Twice
  • That Certain Something
  • Finding the Grain
  • Love by the Numbers
  • New Beginnings (Winter Jacket, #2)
  • Too Close to Touch
  • Molly: House on Fire
  • Long Shot
  • The Blind Side of Love
  • Ambereye (Garoul, #2)
  • The Midnight Moon
  • Jericho
Jae is the author of sixteen award-winning lesbian romances. She lives in the sunniest city of Germany, near the French and Swiss borders. The writing bug bit her at the age of eleven.

She used to work as a psychologist but gave up her day job in 2013 to become a full-time writer and a part-time editor. As far as she’s concerned, it’s the best job in the world.

When she’s not writing, she is an avid