Start by marking “Party Lines (The Easy Part, #3)” as Want to Read:
Party Lines (The Easy Part, #3)

Party Lines

(The Easy Part #3)

It’s not personal—it’s politics.

Michael Picetti: a cynical Democrat who has seen too many failed campaigns. It’s not his first primary, and it’s been a while since he’s truly believed policy and public good trump all.

Lydia Reales: young, hard-working, optimistic…Republican. Getting her candidate in office means everything to her, and leaves zero time for a love life.

Both a
Kindle Edition
Published January 12th 2015 by Carina Press
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about Party Lines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Party Lines

Start your review of Party Lines (The Easy Part, #3)
Mandi Schreiner
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
My first “A” read of 2015 comes early and strong. This is the third book in Emma Barry’s political series (all stand alones) and I enjoyed the first two. I fully expected to enjoy this book as well, but was surprised by how much I loved this one. I didn’t want to put it down or miss a detail of the both the romance and the campaign. Emma Barry writes romances centered around Washington, DC politics. What could be dry and boring is rich and engaging. From union organizers, to political bloggers t ...more
Angie
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have thoroughly enjoyed Emma Barry's Easy Part series. But this one is, hands down, my favorite. Lydia and Michael are unrelentingly awesome throughout, and their charisma and hilarity, their fears and their weariness made me fall in love with them immediately. Their exchanges are incredibly intelligent, filled with genuine respect, care, and humor. I loved all of their encounters. But when it came to Michael's closing pitch—that one was my favorite.
Katie
This one was soooo good. By far, my favorite of the series.

Okay, but first I'm going to nitpick the description. This is pitched as cynical Democratic male vs young optimistic Republican female which made me weary because ohhhh, OF COURSE the female is the optimistic one. But Lydia has plenty of cynicism herself. Plus, she and Michael seem to be the same age.

ANYWAY. Yeah, I love campaign trail stories and that being the plotty bit of the story worked SO WELL for me. And Lydia's desire to be more
Brandy Painter
Love!!!!

Do you know how difficult it is to write two protagonists who are in direct opposition to each other and still make them both relatable and work as a romantic pairing? It's so hard that there aren't a whole lot of people who even attempt it. Emma Barry pulls it off and does it incredibly well. There is banter. There is lust. There is a crazy affair that's impractical for so many reasons. Because this takes place over the course of an entire election season from the Iowa caucus to the Pre
Ana
Party Lines opens with a world-weary Michael Picetti sitting at a gate in O’Hare airport waiting for a flight to Iowa in December. He is heading back to work on a presidential primary campaign, after seeing one of his best-friends get married & realizing the other will be marrying sometime soon too. He feels acutely the distance and difference between the lives of his friends and his own. He finds himself scanning the crowd for a likely hook-up, some other jaded campaign veteran with no hope of ...more
Keertana
Jan 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Rating: 3.5 Stars

I really did enjoy this one. It was wildly entertaining with intelligent banter and sparks that definitely flew off the page. Yet, I felt as if this was dragged on just a little too long. It followed the very typical romance novel set-up with a "big break" towards the end and for this couple, it just felt a little too forced and inorganic, sadly. But, I'd still recommend this, especially for fans of the show Scandal because this is a lite, fun edition of the television drama. ;)
Saly
This has to be my least favourite of the series because honestly the h/H so-called relationship did not work for me. What they had was just a series of convenient romps in the bedroom I felt and I wasn't really convinced that the heroine loved the hero. Both of them are on the opposite side of politics, our heroine who is Latina is a Republican and hero a Democrat. They are also working on opposing campaigns. When the book closes the hero realises he wants more of a life beyond work while the he ...more
Jess
I won't claim that this was a perfect book but it was the perfect book for ME. This entire series has been catnip for me, and this was the best possible way for it to all culminate. Michael and Lydia gave great banter, hot sex and the federalist papers as foreplay. AND, (view spoiler) What more could I possibly want except more?

A++, will read again.
Amy
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2readseries

Really enjoyed, especially the political aspect/plot of the book. It had a steady pace and was not mind-boggling or boring at all. Enjoyed the characters as well but I was never really convinced that Lydia was invested all the way with the relationship. I was not satisfied when her "I love you" surfaced. It almost felt like she couldn't grasp the meaning and therefore it was only a needed response. Really loved Michael. He was the star of the show.
Jen
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Michael and Lydia

Really great book. Loved the political part, it managed to be intriguing without bogging the book down. My one tiny complaint is I would have liked Lydia to be more all in. Michael was and I felt like he was the main driver behind them being together. WTRW coming up on FV.
Claudia
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Who says politics is boring?

Party Lines is a smart, very sexy contemporary romance with two absolutely likable and true-to-life main characters.
Lena
Feb 23, 2019 rated it liked it
This is like 75% politics and 25% romance, so I was feeling pretty worn out by the end of it. I don't even know what half of these words mean, because American politics make no sense at all. Lydia is barely a Republican, and I don't think the story would work if she was one. But it's hard to relate to her when that's the party she supports and campaigns for.
Tasha
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I loved the role reversal and the chemistry between Michael and Lydia. The ending dragged on a bit, though.
Elisabeth Lane
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Emma Barry is one of my favorite romance writers. And I'm not just saying that because she's a friend. She's one of those writers who could write cereal box copy and I'd read it and love it. But add in the romance and politics and Washington, DC settings of the Easy Part series and this West Wing loving election junkie was basically in wonktastic heaven. Party Lines is the third book in the series and while it could be read as a stand-alone, it will be richer having read the previous two books a ...more
Kay (aka) Miss Bates
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Barry's PARTY LINES is original, fresh, witty, sexy, and imbued with "party politics." Which, for me, made it even more fun. Heroine Lydia Reales, Republican, and hero, Michael Picetti, Democrat, members of the campaign managers' teams of their respective parties, meet-cute in an airport ... and again, in a coffee shop, hotels, lobbies, and restaurants, as they go across America ensuring their candidates make it to the presidency. Their bed-mates-only relationship evolves to friendship, to love, ...more
Mireille Duval
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2015, romance
I know, I know, it said "US campaign trail" when I bought it, but sometimes romances say "bake shop" and there's very little talk of which flour is the best for getting your cake to rise. I did like the romance, the characters and their cynicism/passion, their hatred that turned into sexual attraction that turned into looo-o-ooove, but it was just toooo much US politics. Being a person on the Internet, I already hear so much about what happens in this neighbor country of ours, I just couldn't ta ...more
Jordan
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
First 5 star rating of the year.

I've adored the first two novels out of this series, so I was so thrilled at the description and idea of this one. I loved these two and how they didn't compromise their core parts of themselves. I loved that the ending she chose not to have children and that was her want. And he didn't change her mind, and then the epilogue stuck to that premise. That's so rare and to have that in here made the book all the more amazing to me.

I highly recommend this series.
Gisele
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Excellent mix between romance and politics. Everything about this book was engaging and It was very refreshing to see that both the H and h wanted different things in their careers and they stayed firm on their plans 'till the end. And this is so nice, they were very real, their conflicts were real and it made the history much more significant to me.

Highly recommended!
Grace
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 stars, and I may still bump this up to 5/5

I just really, really liked this! The relationship worked really well, and I loved the fact that it took place over a full year. That made it feel even more realistic.
Liz
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One political story that was a joy to read

I loved both these characters, even if I vehemently disagree with one of their politics. The way they navigate their differences and make things work is enjoyable to experience. And perhaps a good lesson for all of us.
Suzanne
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Smart writing, multidimensional characterization, and a vivid portrayal of life on the campaign trail.
Home. Love. Books.
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
To read this review and others like it check out my site at www.homelovebooks.com

I adore books about politics, and this is by no means my first Emma Barry book, I really liked the book I read by her before, so I was really looking forward to reading this book as well. I think what really intrigued me about this book though is that the whole thing takes place on the campaign trail, which reminded me of West Wing (my all time favorite show). One other thing that was seriously awesome about this b
Ash
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Barry did a great job of bridging to party differences between the leads, so to speak. However, I read this book after Trump won the 2016 so I was definitely NOT in the mood for Republican BS since the likelihood of a Latina aide in a moderate Republican campaign, which actually lasted past the primary or even halfway didn't exist, was nil. So yeah, I had difficulty dealing with that but this book did a good job of clarifying the policies of Republicans and what they actually value by truly goin ...more
Lucy
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For a full review of this book feel free to visit my blog

I found this book absolutely fascinating to read. Being born and raised in the UK I know next to nothing about American politics apart from the fact that they have two main parties (the democratcs and the republicans) and that they vote for an individual, rather than a party like in the UK. Therefore for me part of the reason I loved this book was because of all the informations I learnt about American politics. I found it fascinating to r
Kanoko
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite reads this year. I love it. It's good. It's perfect. It's so readable and entertaining and wonderful. I almost couldn't put it down. (I had to, of course, since I have this distraction called a job.) I fell in love with the characters from page one. It was great seeing their repartee evolve from amusing and interesting to vast and valuable. Their relationship developed slowly, mostly dependent on happenstance at first, then a slow, satisfying burn. Despite the heavy political ...more
new_user
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Emma Barry's Party Lines is about a Republican and Democratic campaigner taking up. Let the sparks fly.

I did think Lydia's banter with Michael was more mean than funny in the beginning. I didn't find her razzing/tough love cute, but I did recognize them as jokes. To each their own. It is a reversal of a role usually played by a male, and there does need to be some tension, right? It fit Lydia's character as a bit of a hard case. (Why am I not surprised?)

Anyway, it was fun reading their points o
Dunja *a chain reader*
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it

Love or politics? Which one is stronger? I would vote for love every time, and Emmy Barry proved that I am right in her third installment of The Easy Part series.

Party Lines is a charming story about opposing political standpoints, and love, in time of the elections...

Full review available on Night Owl Reviews
Claire Handscombe
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I don't read much (any?) romance. If more of it were like this, maybe I would.
This was a solid 4/5 till around 85%, when it suddenly felt like the author was rushing to finish and painting everything in broad brushes and summary. But it was still, overall, a very good read. If you like slightly naughty West Wing fan fic, this I definitely for you!
Melinda
Jul 23, 2015 rated it liked it
The rather poor editing in this book made it really hard to enjoy. It was frustrating because it wasn't an ARC where I would ignore those mistakes but a copy I bought. I found all of the word mistakes extremely distracting to the story which was disappointing since I liked the first two books a lot.
Wendy LaCapra
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up because I was so intrigued by the idea of a romance between political opposites, especially in the current climate that offers little middle ground. The concept was brave and Emma Barry made it work. I loved both characters and their slow despite-themselves coming together was believable and real. And hot! Did I mention hot?

• The Worst Best Man
  • A Great and Terrible Beauty (Gemma Doyle, #1)
  • Blackmoore
  • Sandry's Book (Circle of Magic, #1)
  • Marriage on Madison Avenue (Central Park Pact, #3)
  • Into the Deep (Into the Deep, #1)
  • Rodham
  • The Wilder Life: My Adventures in the Lost World of Little House on the Prairie
  • A Taste of Sage
  • Her Royal Highness (Royals, #2)
  • Me and White Supremacy: Combat Racism, Change the World, and Become a Good Ancestor
  • I Think I Love You (Oxford, #5)
  • Hinds' Feet on High Places
  • The American Heiress
  • The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (Inheritance, #1)
  • Tris's Book (Circle of Magic, #2)
  • The Austen Playbook (London Celebrities, #4)
  • The Aussie Next Door
Emma Barry is a novelist, full-time mama, recovering academic, and former political staffer. When she’s not reading or writing, she loves her twins’ hugs, her husband’s cooking, her cat’s whiskers, her dog’s tail, and Earl Grey tea.

The Easy Part (3 books)
  • Special Interests (The Easy Part, #1)
  • Private Politics (The Easy Part, #2)