Start by marking “The Devil's Mode (Stories)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Devil's Mode

Anthony Burgess

The Devil's Mode (Stories)

Contents:
- Snow
- The Endless Voyager
- Hun
- Murder To Music

Published (first published November 25th 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Mode, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil's Mode

Start your review of The Devil's Mode (Stories)
Tom
May 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Erudite (e.g., one story is centered on Shakespeare and one on classical music, two of Burgess's notable interests) and stylish, one of the best things I've read recently. Short stories and novellas, mixture of historical fiction and modern expat-oriented works. The longer novella "Hun" (yes, it's about Attila) drags a bit, but the other pieces are first-rate. For the most part, Burgess avoids the ostentatious cleverness that occasionally has bugged me.
Ben
A book of nine short stories by Burgess. Anthony really shows off his aptitude in writing prose. In particular, I really liked the "eponymous" story.
David
I read this when it was first released, around 1990, but hadn’t looked at it since. Burgess published this first collection of short fiction in his 70s. The immediate reaction is that he should have done more of it. The stories feature most of his usual obsessions—music, history, Shakespeare, Europe, England, linguistics—and the Sherlock Holmes pastiche is quite entertaining.
Tim Pendry

This is a fairly lightweight collection of Burgess' stories, a mix of imaginative reconstructions of literary and political events, pastiches and tales from his time in Malaya 'doing a Maugham' - that is, observing very late colonial Brits and the natives.

It is entertaining enough and Burgess cannot write badly but little is going to be truly memorable in a year's time. His Attila the Hun novella reads like the playbook for a Hollywood epic that perhaps he would like to have been in on - a good
M
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
'You will never produce a Don Quixote.'
'And why should I or we?' Will said hotly. 'I have produced other things and I will still.' But: Will I? he thought. Do I wish to? 'I have made good comedy and eke tragedy, which is the highest reach of the skill of the dramaturgue.'
'God does not suffer the tragic consequences of a flawed essence. Tragedy is all too human. Comedy is divine.'
Luke Simpson
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's a great collection of short stories. Some are fictionalized accounts of historical personages, including Shakespeare, Cervantes, Debussy, and Attila the Hun. Some are adaptations of existing stories, taken from opera and old legends. Some are focused on British expatriates in the far east (along the lines of his Malayan trilogy). And one is a Sherlock Holmes story. Good times.
Al Maki
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: story
As a Burgess fan, I found this the least enjoyable thing of his I've read. Short stories from a very "thinky" writer and as a consequence the points being made were too much in evidence for me.
Ryan Young
historical fiction in 10-15 page doses for ya.
Carlos
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, literature
Having only read “A Clockwork Orange” by Burgess, and not having particularly cared for it, but having also heard many good things about Burgess’ work in general I decided to give this collection of short stories a try. I am glad I did. Burgess shows a vastly different side of his writing as well as masterful ability to imitate many different writing styles, from historical fiction to his take on Sherlock Holmes. It is Burgess’ deft use of detail that manages to push the stories to greatness, ma ...more
Philip Tidman
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
As usual with a short story collection, it is a hit and miss affair. The one longer story, 'Hun' however, makes it a worthwhile read. It is a pity this historical story of Attila could not have been developed further.
Oliver
Mar 18, 2013
Jesse K
Feb 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Inside Outsider: The Life and Times of Colin MacInnes (Twentieth Century Classics) (Twentieth Century Classics)
  • The Garden Party and Other Stories
  • The Stars My Destination
  • The Sandman #11: The Doll's House Part 2
  • Burn Out (Dr. Anne Vernon Book 1)
  • Mirror Image
  • Secret Origins of the World's Greatest Super-Heroes
  • Outpost Mars
  • The Collected Poems of Wilfred Owen
  • Head Case (Anna Lee Mystery, #4)
  • Bad Company (Anna Lee Mystery, #3)
  • Copy Kat (Kat Colorado, #4)
  • Stalker (Anna Lee Mystery, #4)
  • Space Opera
  • The Nostradamus Inheritance
  • The House of Doctor Dee
  • The Empire of Time (Chronoplane Wars, #1)
  • The Colonel's Daughter

Anthony Burgess was a British novelist, critic and composer. He was also a librettist, poet, playwright, screenwriter, essayist, travel writer, broadcaster, translator, linguist and educationalist. Born in Manchester, he lived for long periods in Southeast Asia, the USA and Mediterranean Europe as well as in Eng