Start by marking “The Ruby Iyer Diaries (Ruby Iyer Series, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Ruby Iyer Diaries (Ruby Iyer Series, #0.5)

The Ruby Iyer Diaries

(Many Lives 0.5)

An alternate cover edition can be found here and here.

This novelette is a companion book to The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer. A peek into the soul of an angry, young girl, who will come of age in a city on the verge of total annihilation. Ruby kept a diary from the age of ten till she ran away from home at sixteen. It is from here that I picked out a few diary entries for The R
Published October 1st 2014 by Laxmi Hariharan

To ask other readers questions about The Ruby Iyer Diaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ruby Iyer Diaries

Free at Amazon!
UK - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ruby-Iyer-Dia...
US - http://www.amazon.com/Ruby-Iyer-Diari...

Downloaded for free from Amazon.co.uk

This was an interesting story about a young girl who felt that she was ignored by her parents in favour of her younger brother. Ruby didn’t really like authority, and didn’t like to do as she was told, she just wanted to be loved and to feel like she had friends.

This was an interesting short glimpse into Ruby’s life when she was younger, but I have a feeli
Bookish Indulgenges with b00k r3vi3ws
The Ruby Iyer Diaries is a prequel to The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer. Even though I have had this ebook sitting on my kindle since before I got my hands on The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer, for some odd reason, I read and reviewed The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer first. I now regret not reading this first.

The Ruby Iyer Diaries gives us a peek into Ruby’s life from the age of ten to sixteen. The excerpts from her diaries that make up this novella are just a way to get up, close and personal with the character
Merril Anil
Nov 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Chocolates for anyone who can make me understand the purpose of this novella

First of all a huge thanks to the author and her team for providing me with a copy of the book

I really want to see a link or reason behind the novella because I am clearly failing at it. If one argues that this novella was written with the purpose of carrying a glimpse of Ruby Iyer’s life or background then I am afraid it didn’t show anything except some random episodes and which too didn’t make any sense in retrospec
Dianne
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, purchased
Diaries, where we put our most private thoughts, our emotions, slices of our lives. We are invited to see the thoughts, feelings and events that shaped the young girl who was destined to be great. Through brief snippets from Ruby’s diary we are witness to the chaotic and disjointed world Ruby lived in, effectively bringing to life the past of this girl.

Laxmi Hariharan has made use of random diary entries to outline the world as Ruby saw it. Although difficult at times to reconcile, they provide
Beth Beth
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
There's a harshness to this narration that makes a lot of the introspection ring true even as it is shocking. As women we are overlooked, under-appreciated, thought less intelligent, less strong, less instinctual... we are expected to be self-aware in a way that turns us on ourselves. It's a harrowing experience and that's the amazing story Ruby Iyer tells. She fights it... and faces those fears with a need to be herself.
Jackie
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful short story that is the beginning of Awakened. Ruby is an amazing child looking to be loved by her mother. Superb start of a fantastic series.
Sarika Patkotwar
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Actual rating- 3.5

The Ruby Iyer Diaries is a prequel to The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer, a dystopian set in Mumbai that has been on my to-read pile since quite some time now. Most readers have been reading the prequel after having read the first full-length book in the series. As I'm always up for novellas and I don't like breaking links, I thought I would read The Ruby Iyer Diaries first as it gives us a glimpse into the life of Ruby Iyer.

The Ruby Iyer Diaries is a collection of letters from Ruby,
Nikita (NjKinny's World of Books & Stuff)
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All YA and Dystopian fans

The Ruby Iyer Diaries by Laxmi Hariharan is the prequel novelette to The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer. This book gives an insight into the protagonist, Ruby Iyer's life from the age of ten to sixteen. How she became the angry and sassy girl that we met in The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer and what happened to make her run away from home? All these and more questions get answered as we follow a young Ruby through her life and revisit the crucial life changing events o
Heather Hollister
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It is different from what I normally read. It is a great read and change of pace. I hope you enjoy this book too. Give it a try.
Shilpa Garg
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A diary is like a confidante that is deaf and dumb and in it one pours their private, secret thoughts, emotions and turbulence of mind, all through the events of daily life. In a diary, one doesn’t just express themselves more openly than they could do to any person; they create themselves. A diary is a vehicle which gives them their sense of selfhood and charts their individuality. And it does just that for Ruby Iyer, a free-spirited, rebellious girl.

The Ruby Iyer Diaries (Ruby Iyer Series, 0.5
Rubina
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
How many times have you seen a writer going deep into a character and trying to understand the point of view of her protagonist? This is the first time I've seen someone trying to understand how her protag goes through the changes in her life and turning it into a prequel before the actual story starts. Introduce her readers to Ruby Iyer.
Ms. Hariharan took me, along with her, in the journey of Ruby Iyer in her dystopian novel, The Ruby Iyer Diaries.
The first question I asked myself while readi
Aline
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Ruby Iyer Diaries 3.5 Stars

This novelette is a sneak peek on Ruby’s life. The readers have a perspective of her thoughts from age ten to sixteen through pages she wrote on her diary. You don’t need to read the novel to know how smart Ruby is and how strong she becomes on the novel “The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer.” You can understand that by reading the prequel.
Ruby is an intriguing character. Some of her actions left me a little confused, I could never foresee what she would do or think, but
Sachin Dev
Sep 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-good-reads
The prequel novelette(? is that shorter than a novella?) to the The Many Lives of Ruby Iyeris a blazingly fast read - it's a peekaboo into the turbulent fragile mind of Ruby Iyer - the heroine of Laxmi Hariharan's Series set in Dystopian Bombay; her formative years that seeds the foundations for a girl forever at war with the rest of the world.

The story zips through the beautiful bylanes of a forgotten Bombay taking us through the events that shapes up Ruby's childhood, events that would later
Inderpreet Uppal
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this book as it slowly led me to realize that it was just the beginning of things to come. Ruby Iyer Diaries reads like a diary but it lets us see into the lives of not just Ruby but the other people she comes across too. Her mother, the sad, cynical lady and the friends she makes and how she ends up where she is.

I found the writing so pertinent to the characters, most of it are Ruby’s thoughts but so right to her personality. The author has managed to spin a good intro story for the read
Lata Sony
Jun 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I wouldn't really call The Ruby Iyer Diaries a novella, although it is described as one. In fact, the title itself seems too grand for a collection of 10-12 excerpts, with just about enough content to fill the first few pages of a single diary. However, if you keep aside these objections, The Ruby Iyer Diaries is a brilliant character sketch of a young girl, the protagonist of the sequel "The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer." Ruby is quite different from the average girl you meet in novels. She is athle ...more
Beth
Apr 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Time changes females more than men and it makes us more subversive. While we try our hardest to not become what we're expected to become - the weaker sex myth, enclosed and contained and polite despite the world ending around us -- the battle only becomes harder the older we get. Most of us do at least fight nowadays. And Ruby Iyer captures that fight from childhood, adolescent and into adulthood. There's a battle waging between our instinctual strength of character and the way the world pits us ...more
Saloni
Dec 29, 2015 rated it liked it
FULL REVIEW COMING SOON
Shae Perkins
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read. The introduction of Ruby; who she is and how she has become who she is. Can't wait to get to the next book.
Charlotte Leslie
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ruby's story

It is good. It gives you the background for why Ruby acts the way she does. In a way, it is sad but you have the next book where things get better.
Clare O'Beara
A girl growing up in Bombay who is told that she's too tomboyish to attract young men, is shown from ten to sixteen. She's not a very pleasant or intellectual type. I had not read any book in the series and chose this because it was free. I didn't get a lot out of it for that reason and suggest that for this to mean much to the reader, you have to have read other books in the series, so you might care about Ruby and what happens when she is grown up, or about those she dislikes.
Ukgardenfiend
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books-read
Precocious Ruby really wants to be a boy and to play cricket. On the Oval Maiden in Bombay – or Mumbai as some call it now, where there are always several games underway. Boys I India play the great game as soon as they can walk, on any piece of roughly flat ground, with anything that they can imagine is a bat. No wonder they are so good at it. It is a national obsession.

This prequel novel tells us about how Ruby grew up between the ages of 10-16. The formative age for young girls as they turn i
Book Gannet
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
I think this book works best if you read it shortly after finishing The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer, because although I read and enjoyed that book it was a while ago now and I didn’t really enjoy this novelette. My main problem with it is that I wasn’t sure what it’s purpose was. I know it’s young Ruby’s diary, so it shows her growing up (to a certain degree), but there’s no real cohesion to the entries or any kind of overriding narrative. It’s well written, but I don’t think I gained anything by re ...more
Shilpa Garg
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
A diary is like a confidante that is deaf and dumb and in it one pours their private, secret thoughts, emotions and turbulence of mind, all through the events of daily life. In a diary, one doesn't just express themselves more openly than they could do to any person; they create themselves. A diary is a vehicle which gives them their sense of selfhood and charts their individuality. And it does just that for Ruby Iyer, a free-spirited, rebellious girl.

The Ruby Iyer Diaries (Ruby Iyer Series, 0.5
Geeta Nair
Starting at age ten and ending at sixteen these series of short vignettes give us an insight into Ruby’s character and her journey from a child of ten to a teen and continues till she reaches the threshold of adulthood.

Ruby is the normal girl on the threshold of teenage years when the novella begins. Adventurous, impulsive, rebellious and confused, she is unable to understand the restrictions imposed on her by her mother nor the queer look and behaviour of Dr Poonawala aka PW a child psychologis
Starlight
Dec 22, 2015 rated it liked it
*I received a copy of this novel via the author in exchange for an honest review*
3.5/5
I actually just finished reading this novella, so I'm going to write my review while it's still fresh on my mind.
Pretty much what we have here are random, fast paced diary entries of the protagonist of "The Many Lives of Ruby Iver." It's a fast read, mainly meant to characterize Ruby. There isn't really a plot, considering that these are just random diary entries. From the fragments that we get to read, you
We Said It: Literary Reviews  w/ Ts Blogging
Reviewed by Shelby Loebker
Date: 7/25/2016
Time: 1:35 p.m.

“The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer” follows the titular protagonist’s transformation from a young woman trying to make her way in modern day Bangladesh, to an empowered hero saving the city. An accident gives Ruby her powers and she uses her new abilities to follow a trial of mysterious and anonymous text messages, stopping a growing evil from harming Bangladesh, while simultaneously grappling with her complicated past.

The most noticeable flaw in
Ruchi Singh
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I have read quite a number of Young Adults novel, but all of them by foreign authors set in other countries. Authors in India are dabbling with this genre, but there are none which standout. The Ruby Iyer series, a 'first' from an Indian author that too set in India, has made me really excited.

'The Ruby Iyer’s Diaries', the first in the series or 0.5 version, gives us a peek into the early life of the protagonist—Ruby. Human beings are a product of our genes as well as the environment we have b
Adam Webling
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I was asked to review The Ruby Iyer Diaries by Laxmi Hariharan, which is a prequel novelette to the The Ruby Iyer series, a dystopian romance series that follows the adventures of eighteen Ruby Iyer from Bombay.

The novelette is short diary entries by Ruby from the age of ten to when she runs away from home at sixteen and I really liked it. It gives a good introduction to Ruby and the culture she’s growing up in. You instantly see Ruby has a deep anger in her, but you relate to her and are immedi
Ailyn
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a prequel to the book Many Lives of Ruby Iyer that I had reviewed last year. I got this from the author's publicist since I had reviewed her first book, and I was keen on knowing Ruby better, to jog my memory for the next one I hope.

From the diary, it comes in juicy snippets between ten and sixteen. Ruby's point of view changes and priority changes with age. From here, we can see how she gets her anger issues from, and how her past determines her future plans.
Since a kid, Ruby knew she i
Reet Singh
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book, The Ruby Iyer Diaries' is the prequel to a series, and it is an enticing introduction.

Ruby Iyer is a young girl growing up in a conflicted household. The author, via Ruby's diary, alludes to future complexities yet to develop in Ruby's life, but we have to wait to read what really goes down - have to read in the books that follow. A very short read, the prequel creates the premise of the plot - it shows us how Ruby is a normal kid in an abnormal situation.

The author, Laxmi Hariharan,
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I am a New York Times bestselling author.

Pick up my books because you enjoy characters who'll have you rooting for them!

Claim your free books by joining my newsletter. Copy paste this link in your browser http://smarturl.it/Laxmi

Order of reading my books: https://readerlinks.com/mybooks/950

Many Lives (7 books)
  • The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer (Ruby Iyer Series, #1)
  • Feral (Many Lives, #1)
  • Taken (Many Lives, #2)
  • Redemption (Many Lives Ascendants, #1)
  • Claimed (Many Lives #4)
  • UnTamed