Start by marking “Wereduck” as Want to Read:
Wereduck

Wereduck

(Wereduck)

Nominated for the 2015 Hackmatack Children's Choice Book Award!

Kate’s family has told her that on her thirteenth birthday she’ll hear the “Whooooo” call of the moon, howl back, and become a werewolf just like them. But she doesn’t want to be a werewolf. She’s always felt more like a duck.

On the night of her thirteenth birthday, Kate stands near her family’s cabin in the ba
Paperback, First, 128 pages
Published September 15th 2014 by Nimbus Publishing (CN)

To ask other readers questions about Wereduck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wereduck

PEI Public Library Service
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Have you ever thought of what kind of an animal you would like to be if you had a chance to transform yourself into an animal? In his book, Wereduck, author Dave Atkinson introduces the readers to a young girl, Kate, who has grown up in a family of werewolves. On her 13th birthday Kate's family expects her to transform into a werewolf but Kate, unlike others in her family, does not want to become a werewolf. She has always felt more like a wereduck! The readers have a chance to follow her decisi ...more
Meghan
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
This book is a light read; original and very funny. If you buy it for your kids to read, you're going to want to read it, too.
Kate
Aaaaadorable.
Kate, whose lives with her family of werewolves, follows her heart when the moon calls to her on the 13th birthday and becomes a wereduck instead. And also there's a mystery and danger and intrigue. And it's set in Canada!
Marion
Dec 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a very fun read! I look forward to hearing the reviews of my various book addicted grandkids. AND I'm hoping for an early release of Book Two. Write on there, Dave :-)
Felicia
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book- I thought it was so funny and a great read
Alexander Jones
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from GoodReads First Reads--I love the twists and turns of wereducks and betrayal
Mirlou
Dec 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Great tales, funny.
Kate Inglis
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-kids
Wereduck is such a terrific, good-humoured, and devourable read. Both my kids loved both books, getting great kicks from its plucky hero, her friends, and the ever-chasing tabloid bad guy. Quick, tumble-downhill fun for all sorts!
Chad Lucas
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Laugh-out-loud funny and full of heart, Wereduck is a great read for middle-graders that has passed back and forth between my kids multiple times.
Jocelyne
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Delightfully fun twist to the traditional werewolf story.
Brian
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wereduck is a great read that you'll pretend you're reading for your kids. It's a page turner with great characters and is salted liberally with both humour and wisdom. Highly recommend.
Katie
Dec 23, 2014 rated it liked it
I spent the first half of this book wondering whether or not the book was a joke: first, the title, secondly, it was in the YA section of my bookstore though it is clearly a children's novel, and third, the cheesy little lines about ducks (a flock of ducks fluttered in her stomach? Atkinson, what're you trying to pull, bud?) had me in tears I was giggling so much.
But I really liked how silly it felt, overall. That is exactly the kind of reaction you want with a children's book. You want them eng
Kayla
Aug 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wunderdrugged
May 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: hackmatack
This title is nominated for the 2016 Hackmatack award in the fiction category.
I really liked the messages in this book about being true to yourself, and standing up for what's right. Sometimes it is hard to be different, but in the end it is always more satisfying to remain true to your ideals than to compromise them. Your moral compass will point you in the ight direction, regardless of what friends or family may try to influence you to do. A simple morality tale with some silly humour mixed in
Ana Cole
Oct 07, 2014
Ilana
rated it did not like it
Mar 18, 2017
Denise
Aug 08, 2015

• Thimblerig's Ark
  • Revenge on the Fly
  • Magic Tricks from the Tree House: A fun companion to Magic Tree House #50: Hurry Up, Houdini!
  • KeeKee’s Big Adventures in Athens, Greece
  • Mr. Postmouse Takes a Trip
  • Apple Orchard Race (Ready, Freddy!, #20)
  • Super Jumbo
  • Escaping the Holocaust: A True Story
  • Sad, the Dog
  • The Sword in the Stove
  • Noah Webster's Fighting Words
  • Children of Neptune (Volume 1)
  • Hungry Bird
Dave Atkinson is an award-winning freelance journalist, columnist, and broadcaster. His work for the CBC has appeared on The Current, Atlantic Voice, Tapestry, Maritime Magazine, In the Field, and regional radio programs across the country. He and his wife are homeschooling their three silly kids in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. Follow him at Facebook.com/daveatkinsonbooks or Twitter.com/da ...more

Wereduck (2 books)