Start by marking “Dying by the Hour (Dying for a Living, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dying by the Hour (Dying for a Living, #2)

Dying by the Hour

(Dying for a Living #2)

Fame, fortune, a pulse—you can’t have everything.

Jesse Sullivan and Ally Gallagher are famous thanks to their recent kidnapping and brush with death. They have scars, but they’re breathing, and that’s more than the other victims can say.

Yet while they try to settle back into their routine, saving lives through Jesse’s rare ability, neither can quite shake the feeling that
Published September 2nd 2014 by Timberlane Press

lov2laf
3.5 stars. I enjoyed the 1st book more than the 2nd. That being said, this is a good series and worth the read. Like another reviewer said, it's frustrating that Ally and Jesse aren't getting together...maybe that happens in the 3rd book?
Kory Shrum
Jan 13, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Well, it's certainly better now than it was when I wrote it the first time ;)
Barb Shuler
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just... I'm not sure where to start with one. It has soooo many good parts. Kory's vision of who and what her characters are is seen with each page you turn. The inner struggles between Jesse, Lane and Alice is like watching a puppeteer work the puppets as they struggle with the inner thoughts, hopes and fears.

As usual what life throws them turns their worlds into a tail spin. What was supposed to be a simple replacement and a snatch and grab of vital information turns into a circus. Thankfully
Kelsey
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dying by the Hour is more distracting than Candy Crush.

I took my first hit of Candy Crush a few months ago and have been addicted ever since. I play while waiting in line at the airport, microwaving my lunch, or stopped in traffic at a red light. I’ve even sneaked a few games in-between e-mails at work.

All that changed when I downloaded Dying by the Hour to the Kindle app on my phone. Instead of reaching for the red jelly bean, I was drawn more and more to Jesse, Ally, Lane, and the rest. My ey
Fangs for the Fantasy
Jesse is now very high profile as a Necronite and Death Replacement Agent – which means she’s also a target for a lot of hatred, especially from the United Church.

But more dangerous than the constant hatred attacks she faces is the dark conspiracy that comes from her own long hidden father that shadows the church’s actions. That conspiracy is still active – people are disappearing, probably dying and Jesse and Alice have to find them… though what they will do and what they will risk to do it may
Cogito_ergo_sum
May 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
2 stars.

Okay, there were certain things I liked and didn't like.

This book was narrated from two different POVs: Jesse's and Ally's. I felt it was okay. I would have preferred this book be solely from Jesse's POV. I was a little bored with Ally.

I liked how the author explored character depth in terms of romantic relationships. But, this wasn't what I signed up for. There was too much romantic angst. I was in this story more for the urban fantasy aspect of it. Not so much for such a heavy emphasis
Maraya21 (The Reading Dragon)
3.5 Stars
keikii Eats Books
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
93 points/100 (4 stars/5)
Alert: LGBT themes

Jesse's life has sort of gotten back to normal after the horrors they experienced in the Church's basement. Now, people are vandalizing her home, taking her things, and threatening her. Plus, the angel has come back. Now, she is taking a job where she is going to die for a little girl of a prominent Church member. Ally is keeping a secret, too.

You know, this isn't at all the way I expected this series to go. I expected a fun little series where the con
Cheryl
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the second book of the Jesse Sullivan series and it didn't quite hook me as much as the first. It was a lot more serious and fraught with anxiety as the big showdown between Caldwell/Jesse's Father and the Necronites and friends came closer. Jesse's sassiness sort of died a tragic death, although if I had died almost a hundred times I suppose mine would too.

Filled with more conspiracy, treachery, death, tears and heartache than you could poke a stick at, it leaves you chomping at the bi
Chyina
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Still loving this series! The second book did not disappoint. Keeping in line with the first book and continuing the story with just as much action, mystery, and suspense. I can't wait to read the next one in this series or the ones following. Great series for those who like an original story and lovable characters. Highly recommend!
R
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This author continues to engage the reader in this second book of the series. Once again, it was fast moving with witty dialogue in the midst of chaos and destruction. Jesse continues to be a force to be reckoned with on all levels. I look forward to continue reading this series.
Kelly
Jun 02, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars, I also preferred the first book over this one. Although this is a good series so far, I'll be giving the third a shot soon.
Wendy Nelson
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I love the premise of this story, and with all the Urban Fantasy books I read, I haven’t come across one like this. I was engaged all the way through it, and couldn’t put it down.

Jesse Sullivan lives in a world where millions of people have NRD or Necronitic Regenerative Disorder, and Jesse is one of them. She has been a Death Replacement Agent since she was 17 years old. This means she has the ability to die in someone’s place so they don’t have to, and does it regularly to make a living.

This b
a_tiffyfit
Review to come. Fantastic follow up to DYING FOR A LIVING.
*****************
Edited: for some reason, I hit 4 instead of 5 stars. I meant 5! I really enjoyed this book!
*****************

Full Disclosure: I received an early copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

I don't even know how to start my review because a lot of what I want to talk about would spoil the book! Maybe I should just stick to the fact that DYING FOR A LIVING was a brilliant book and this is a fantastic follow up? :D

DY
Liz
Aug 18, 2016 rated it liked it
I didn't like this as much as the first book. I like the characters so I will probably continue with book #3. I like the 'death recovery' aspect. I didn't care for the 'long game' aspect. Jesse against her dad feels like it could go on and on for multiple books and I don't think that can sustain my interest. I would be more interested if the story was about her job and life as a death replacement agent.
I found it interesting that Jesse can manipulate electricity, but never considers the fact tha
G Leigh
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good quick read

This is the second in a series with a neat premise. I'm looking forward to the third already. A great beach series.
Marjorie
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is my second read through of the book and although certain scenes had stuck with me (particularly the denouement in the corn field) I was not too surprised that I remembered little of the book. What did surprise me was how much I thoroughly enjoyed the tale - I remember leaving the series right around now feeling unsatisfied by the books and have to now admit how wrong I was about that. Maybe I am just a little more ready to embrace Urban Fantasy now than I was back in 2015, who knows?

Jesse
Lyn Mckenzie
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible
I love this series so much!!! I listened you this through audible and the first thing I want to mention is who the author chose as the voice narrator, she is able to capture the essence of the story in such an amazing and vibrant way!

I loved the storyline of this book and how addictive it is to read/listen to! I couldn't get enough of this highly imaginative story. The way that this author writes gives you a view into a world with fantasy aspects that are so very unique, like nothing I have ever
Rosemary
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of fantasy, overcoming-the-odds, psychological thrillers.
Dying by the Hour - a review by Rosemary Kenny

In Jesse and Ally's world the Church is not necessarily led by the 'Good Guy'; its enigmatic Grand Leader Caldwell [secretly Jesse's father, with the same NRD powers as her], encourages his followers to eliminate all NRD/death replacements...and Jesse, Ally and their friends and supporters Lane, Brinkley, Gloria, Nikki, Jeremiah et al are at the top of his new death list!

Jesse and Ally are hired to save Julia, the daughter of staunch Church member Ge
Livvii
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book just did not let up!

I'm really enjoying this series; I didn't expect to like it as much as I do, but the writing just has such a good flow to it, you can't not get caught up in the story. There is so much going on in this book and yet it never feels overwhelming. It's paced well with things gradually being revealed, with the relationships between the characters being developed at the same time. I think that these two elements of the story are well balanced. There is the right amount of
Andrea
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a really great continuation of the first book... the POV here switches between Jesse and Ally, which I appreciate since in the first book I found Ally to be kind of bland, and here we get a better understanding of both who she is and her complicated relationship with Jesse. I do love a good complicated relationship. Also, she's keeping seeeekrits.

My kind of negative opinion of Lane definitely got more negative by the end of this book. Not that he's a villain or anything -- he's a very re
Sandra Holladay
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I love this series and the concept behind it; Ms. Shrum is a truly excellent writer. In Dying by the Hour we learn more about Jesse and Ally as the POV is split between them. We learn a lot more about Jesse’s abilities and the kind of world they live in. Although there is some excellent character building, I don’t feel like Lane is one of them. I got that his relationship with Jesse adds more tension to the story, but feel he is a very weak character and don’t really see the attraction Jesse has ...more
Kimberly Junker
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Good book, but not as good as the first. The back and forth, from chapter to chapter of Jesse's PoV then Ally's PoV I felt took away from the story instead of enhancing it. This could also be because I'm very tired of reading books with authors using this technique. Also it seemed like at least half of the information presented in this book was repeated information from the first book. I understand the need to re-explain some things in case there are readers who didn't read book one, but it was ...more
Sharon
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Great action. Compelling characters.

My one complaint? I don't know if these novels were self-published or some small house without sufficient editing or what, but I noticed on several occasions that she wrote of one character looking at another "wearily"--it's "warily"!!!

It's a quibble, though.
Vered
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved the first book in this series, so I was really looking forward to book 2. The premise is awesome: people who die for others as a profession, thanks to a genetic mutation that allows them to come back to life. While still good, book 2 was just a bit too dark for me, and too focused on the love triangle.
Elyse
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017, kindle
I love the concept of this series! Jesse the death replacement & Ally her assistant are back and they both get P.O.V chapter. Jesse get a price on her head, again. Wasn’t a big fan of all the romantic drama and could have go with less of it. It is still a fun book.
Gabrielle
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Being able to read not just one, but two books from a oublished author for free is rare. Usually it means the author doesn’t have the best series you’ve read in a while. That tendency does not hold true for Kory M. Shrum. I’m so glad I started this series and can not wait to finish.
Jo Lucas
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A good continuation of the story with the action ramping up making you want to see the end but alas you will have to read the next in the series to find out what happens, do they get the bad guy? Does Jesse get the girl or the boy?

In to book three to find out!
Kathy
May 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
I liked the first book so much more that I liked this one. There was just too much angst. This book just jumped around too much and tried too hard to be a "romance". What made the first book clever just got lost in this one. I'll get around to reading the 3rd book, but not soon.
Drianne
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: f-f, sf
I enjoyed this, but not as much as the first one: the grimdark is ramped up, and I just don't understand why Ally and Jesse aren't together, honestly.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Indigo Moon (Garoul, #3)
  • Weeping Walls
  • The Muse (Irresistible, #5)
  • Hex (The Evolution, #3)
  • The Silent Victor (Beginnings Series, #1)
  • A Killing Cure (Jane Lawless, #4)
  • The Awakening (The Sisters of Spirits Trilogy, #1)
  • Fireflies
  • Ivy Granger Psychic Detective Box Set (Ivy Granger, #0.5, #1, #2, #3)
  • Moonfall: Tales from the Levant
  • Reaped from Faerie (Stolen Magic, #2)
  • A Story of Summers
  • Vengeance Be Mine (Vengeance Demons #1)
  • Confessional (Blake Harte Mysteries, #2)
  • Seven Sisters Collection (Seven Sisters #1-3)
  • The Vampire and the Paramedic (Extreme Medical Services 0.5)
  • Dearborn (Woodland Creek)
  • Apocalypse Cult (Gray Spear Society, #1)
Visit Kory's website to receive three books from her free starter library: www.korymshrum.com/free-starter-library

Kory M. Shrum is an award-winning and USA TODAY bestselling author of fantasy and thrillers--and something else that's a bit of each. She's an active member of Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, Horror Writers of America, and the Four Horsemen of the Bookocalypse, where sh

Dying for a Living (7 books)
  • Dying for a Living (Dying for a Living, #1)
  • Dying for Her (Dying for a Living, #3)
  • Dying Light (Dying for a Living, #4)
  • Worth Dying For (Dying for a Living, #5)
  • Dying Breath (Dying for a Living, #6)
  • Dying Day (Dying for a Living, #7)
“a wall-scuffed hallway the color of rotting fruit,” 0 likes