Start by marking “Dying by the Hour (Dying for a Living, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dying by the Hour (Dying for a Living, #2)

Dying by the Hour

(Dying for a Living #2)

Fame, fortune, a pulse—you can’t have everything.

Jesse Sullivan and Ally Gallagher are famous thanks to their recent kidnapping and brush with death. They have scars, but they’re breathing, and that’s more than the other victims can say.

Yet while they try to settle back into their routine, saving lives through Jesse’s rare ability, neither can quite shake the feeling that
Published September 2nd 2014 by Timberlane Press

Start your review of Dying by the Hour (Dying for a Living, #2)
lov2laf
3.5 stars. I enjoyed the 1st book more than the 2nd. That being said, this is a good series and worth the read. Like another reviewer said, it's frustrating that Ally and Jesse aren't getting together...maybe that happens in the 3rd book?
Kory Shrum
Jan 13, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Well, it's certainly better now than it was when I wrote it the first time ;)
Barb Shuler
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just... I'm not sure where to start with one. It has soooo many good parts. Kory's vision of who and what her characters are is seen with each page you turn. The inner struggles between Jesse, Lane and Alice is like watching a puppeteer work the puppets as they struggle with the inner thoughts, hopes and fears.

As usual what life throws them turns their worlds into a tail spin. What was supposed to be a simple replacement and a snatch and grab of vital information turns into a circus. Thankfully
Fangs for the Fantasy
Jesse is now very high profile as a Necronite and Death Replacement Agent – which means she’s also a target for a lot of hatred, especially from the United Church.

But more dangerous than the constant hatred attacks she faces is the dark conspiracy that comes from her own long hidden father that shadows the church’s actions. That conspiracy is still active – people are disappearing, probably dying and Jesse and Alice have to find them… though what they will do and what they will risk to do it may
Cogito_ergo_sum
May 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
2 stars.

Okay, there were certain things I liked and didn't like.

This book was narrated from two different POVs: Jesse's and Ally's. I felt it was okay. I would have preferred this book be solely from Jesse's POV. I was a little bored with Ally.

I liked how the author explored character depth in terms of romantic relationships. But, this wasn't what I signed up for. There was too much romantic angst. I was in this story more for the urban fantasy aspect of it. Not so much for such a heavy emphasis
Coco.V
Jun 14, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
🎁 Books 1-5 in the Series are Free on Amazon today (6/14/2020)! 🎁
Kelsey
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dying by the Hour is more distracting than Candy Crush.

I took my first hit of Candy Crush a few months ago and have been addicted ever since. I play while waiting in line at the airport, microwaving my lunch, or stopped in traffic at a red light. I’ve even sneaked a few games in-between e-mails at work.

All that changed when I downloaded Dying by the Hour to the Kindle app on my phone. Instead of reaching for the red jelly bean, I was drawn more and more to Jesse, Ally, Lane, and the rest. My ey
Liz
Aug 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like this as much as the first book. I like the characters so I will probably continue with book #3. I like the 'death recovery' aspect. I didn't care for the 'long game' aspect. Jesse against her dad feels like it could go on and on for multiple books and I don't think that can sustain my interest. I would be more interested if the story was about her job and life as a death replacement agent.
I found it interesting that Jesse can manipulate electricity, but never considers the fact tha
Cheryl
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the second book of the Jesse Sullivan series and it didn't quite hook me as much as the first. It was a lot more serious and fraught with anxiety as the big showdown between Caldwell/Jesse's Father and the Necronites and friends came closer. Jesse's sassiness sort of died a tragic death, although if I had died almost a hundred times I suppose mine would too.

Filled with more conspiracy, treachery, death, tears and heartache than you could poke a stick at, it leaves you chomping at the bi
Maraya21 (The Reading Dragon)
3.5 Stars
keikii Eats Books
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
93 points/100 (4 ¾ stars/5)
Alert: LGBT themes

Jesse's life has sort of gotten back to normal after the horrors they experienced in the Church's basement. Now, people are vandalizing her home, taking her things, and threatening her. Plus, the angel has come back. Now, she is taking a job where she is going to die for a little girl of a prominent Church member. Ally is keeping a secret, too.

You know, this isn't at all the way I expected this series to go. I expected a fun little series where the co
Chyina
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Still loving this series! The second book did not disappoint. Keeping in line with the first book and continuing the story with just as much action, mystery, and suspense. I can't wait to read the next one in this series or the ones following. Great series for those who like an original story and lovable characters. Highly recommend!
R
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This author continues to engage the reader in this second book of the series. Once again, it was fast moving with witty dialogue in the midst of chaos and destruction. Jesse continues to be a force to be reckoned with on all levels. I look forward to continue reading this series.
Kelly
Jun 02, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars, I also preferred the first book over this one. Although this is a good series so far, I'll be giving the third a shot soon.
Katie Melvin
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book. Reading until the early hours as the story carried me along. Fast paced, exciting, unpredictable the story develops well. Really great read and would recommend this series with a difference. Not like anything I’ve read before.
Heather Pearson
Aug 17, 2019 rated it liked it
While I did like this second book in the series, I felt that it's scope was too focused on the pursuit of Caldwell. Hopefully book three will be a little broader.
Wendy Nelson
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I love the premise of this story, and with all the Urban Fantasy books I read, I haven’t come across one like this. I was engaged all the way through it, and couldn’t put it down.

Jesse Sullivan lives in a world where millions of people have NRD or Necronitic Regenerative Disorder, and Jesse is one of them. She has been a Death Replacement Agent since she was 17 years old. This means she has the ability to die in someone’s place so they don’t have to, and does it regularly to make a living.

This b
a_tiffyfit
Review to come. Fantastic follow up to DYING FOR A LIVING.
*****************
Edited: for some reason, I hit 4 instead of 5 stars. I meant 5! I really enjoyed this book!
*****************

Full Disclosure: I received an early copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

I don't even know how to start my review because a lot of what I want to talk about would spoil the book! Maybe I should just stick to the fact that DYING FOR A LIVING was a brilliant book and this is a fantastic follow up? :D

DY
Kimberly Junker
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Good book, but not as good as the first. The back and forth, from chapter to chapter of Jesse's PoV then Ally's PoV I felt took away from the story instead of enhancing it. This could also be because I'm very tired of reading books with authors using this technique. Also it seemed like at least half of the information presented in this book was repeated information from the first book. I understand the need to re-explain some things in case there are readers who didn't read book one, but it was ...more
Kathy
May 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
I liked the first book so much more that I liked this one. There was just too much angst. This book just jumped around too much and tried too hard to be a "romance". What made the first book clever just got lost in this one. I'll get around to reading the 3rd book, but not soon.
G Leigh
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good quick read

This is the second in a series with a neat premise. I'm looking forward to the third already. A great beach series.
Brittany
Feb 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I thought it was good, not fantastic, but not bad. Its an interesting book concept but I kinda hate the love triangle and the back and forth.

**listened to audiobook**
Lyn Mckenzie
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible
I love this series so much!!! I listened you this through audible and the first thing I want to mention is who the author chose as the voice narrator, she is able to capture the essence of the story in such an amazing and vibrant way!

I loved the storyline of this book and how addictive it is to read/listen to! I couldn't get enough of this highly imaginative story. The way that this author writes gives you a view into a world with fantasy aspects that are so very unique, like nothing I have ever
Rosemary
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of fantasy, overcoming-the-odds, psychological thrillers.
Dying by the Hour - a review by Rosemary Kenny

In Jesse and Ally's world the Church is not necessarily led by the 'Good Guy'; its enigmatic Grand Leader Caldwell [secretly Jesse's father, with the same NRD powers as her], encourages his followers to eliminate all NRD/death replacements...and Jesse, Ally and their friends and supporters Lane, Brinkley, Gloria, Nikki, Jeremiah et al are at the top of his new death list!

Jesse and Ally are hired to save Julia, the daughter of staunch Church member Ge
Marjorie
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is my second read through of the book and although certain scenes had stuck with me (particularly the denouement in the corn field) I was not too surprised that I remembered little of the book. What did surprise me was how much I thoroughly enjoyed the tale - I remember leaving the series right around now feeling unsatisfied by the books and have to now admit how wrong I was about that. Maybe I am just a little more ready to embrace Urban Fantasy now than I was back in 2015, who knows?

Jesse
Bianca
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was a bit of a slog for me. I really enjoyed the first book so I was excited for another adventure with Jesse, only to find half the book is narrated by someone else. Really, this is a 2.5 out of 5 stars.

What I liked:
1. Some new development with Jesse's power and her relationship with Gabriel.

What I didn't like:
1. Every other chapter was narrated by Ally, and compared to Jesse's light-hearted, sarcastic wit, Ally's "voice" felt too angsty. Also, since most of the book Ally and Jesse ar
Livvii
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book just did not let up!

I'm really enjoying this series; I didn't expect to like it as much as I do, but the writing just has such a good flow to it, you can't not get caught up in the story. There is so much going on in this book and yet it never feels overwhelming. It's paced well with things gradually being revealed, with the relationships between the characters being developed at the same time. I think that these two elements of the story are well balanced. There is the right amount of
Pamela
Jan 22, 2020 rated it liked it
The hard drive Jesse recovered from her latest replacement's home contains a list of names. Some are victims of Caldwell's. With her and Ally's names topping the list, Jesse needs to be on her best guard.

Jesse and Gloria sets out to locate the first name on Caldwell's list, but end up getting themselves into a world of trouble. With both of their lives hanging in the balance, they have no choice but to fend for themselves. Gloria makes it out okay, but Jesse has fallen into Caldwell's trap once
Krista
Aug 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I am truly disappointed. The plot of the story and the first one (Dying for a Living) have SO much potential. I overlooked the grammar and spelling errors in the first book, but the ones in this one got distracting and super annoying. It's one thing to miss a period or a comma, it's another to miss an entire word, have jumbled sentences, or repeat the exact sentence twice within a few paragraphs. The story seems to shoot off in so many directions. Enough of the love triangle and the side relatio ...more
Lady
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Into The Fire

•••NOT for the homophobic, transphobic, closedminded or faint of heart!•••

This series must be read in order. The first book is "Dying For A Living". This is the second book. I can't wait to read "Dying For Her"!

Jesse knows who her enemy is but she doesn't want to believe it. How can Caldwell be her doting mother Eric Sullivan? How could he not come back for her? Why did he leave her at the mercies of her abusive stepfather? Living her reality is scary. What kind of father wants his
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Just Try Not To Die  (Brian Helsing: The World's Unlikeliest Vampire Hunter. Mission #1)
  • The Cat of Amontillado (The Psychic Cat Mysteries #1)
  • Seduction (Claw & Warder, #1)
  • Graveyard Shift (Lana Harvey, Reapers Inc., #1)
  • Black Annis: Demon Hunter (Revenge of the Witch, #1)
  • Arms Dealer (Claw & Warder, #2)
  • Mitzvah (Claw & Warder, #3)
  • Wanderer's Escape (Wanderer's Odyssey, #1)
  • The Harvest (The Bell Witch #1)
  • Blood Storm Magic (Ella Grey #4)
  • Pocket Full of Posies (Lana Harvey, Reapers Inc. #2)
  • Dark Harvest Magic (Ella Grey, #2)
  • Demon Born Magic (Ella Grey, #3)
  • Badass and the Beast: 10 "Tails" of Kickass Heroines and the Beasts Who Love Them
  • Shadows & Surrender (The Jezebel Files #3)
  • Tempest Reborn (Jane True, #6)
  • Tempest’s Fury (Jane True, #5)
  • Savage Secrets (Savagery and Skills, #1)
Visit Kory's website to receive three books from her free starter library: www.korymshrum.com/free-starter-library

Kory M. Shrum is an award-winning and USA TODAY bestselling author of fantasy and thrillers--and something else that's a bit of each. She's an active member of Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, Horror Writers of America, and the Four Horsemen of the Bookocalypse, where sh

Dying for a Living (7 books)
  • Dying for a Living (Jesse Sullivan, #1)
  • Dying for Her (Dying for a Living, #3)
  • Dying Light (Dying for a Living, #4)
  • Worth Dying For (Dying for a Living, #5)
  • Dying Breath (Dying for a Living, #6)
  • Dying Day (Dying for a Living, #7)