Start by marking “Summer of Seventeen” as Want to Read:
Summer of Seventeen

Summer of Seventeen

It was supposed to be the endless summer of sand, sea, and surf.

Supposed to be.

But Nick Andrews’ life is crashing out of control. His girlfriend and his best friend have declared war, his sister’s constant interference in his life is driving him insane, and there are money problems that won’t go away.

Being seventeen isn’t supposed to be this hard.

When cool surfer Marcus ar
Published September 22nd 2014 by Harvey Berrick Publishing (first published August 6th 2014)

Lady Vigilante (Feifei)
Now live on Amazon!

4-4.5 stars!!

FYI, this is not a M/M romance.

description

This book...really impressed me. I don’t read much YA because often times, I find the characters shallow and story uninteresting, but this book was the complete opposite. Narrated by a strong male POV voice, Summer of Seventeen is refreshingly candid and every reader’s literary trip down memory lane. It’s a thought-provoking story with endearing main characters, an alluring setting, and the beautiful message that no matter what happ
Jennifer Kyle
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.75 Stars

”It’s your life Nick, I can’t tell you how to live it.”

description

This story is told completely in seventeen year old Nick’s pov. He is living with his big sister and they have recently lost their mother to cancer. They live in Florida and Nick and his friends love the beach and the surf. Things at home are financially tight and stressed so his sister takes on a border for their mother’s room for extra cash.

Nick has a girl friend whose family is extremely strict. They are never allowed alone a
Jacqueline
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First off, YA is not usually my thing. I'm 41 and just too bloody ancient to empathise with a 17-year-old. And my son is 14 so I really don't want to be reading anything that even hints at a mere pup of 17 getting all sorts of jiggy. That's just all wrong. *closes eyes and shudders* But, that said, I love the way Jane Harvey-Berrick writes so I put my prejudices aside, pulled on my big (old) girl panties and dived right in.

Happily my fears proved unfounded. Although this is billed as a YA story
Hanne
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Nick is 17 years old and it’s summer vacation. His mother recently died and he’s still struggling with that loss. He lives with his sister, but he’s not close to her. The only things Nick wants to do all summer, are to be with his girlfriend Yansi and surf with his friends. Yansi has a strict family, so Yansi and Nick can’t see each other whenever they want it. Nick isn’t too happy about that, but Yansi is the only girl Nick wants. Nick will get a summer job and he has less free time to spend wi ...more
Beverly
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, five-stars
Every Time Jane announces a book, I know I have to buy it. Own it. Again, she surprised me with an ARC.You can imagine now my reaction when I woke up, check my inbox and there was waiting for me Nick!

happy photo 785893_zpse912642a.gif

#Surprised

photo 23006954_zpsbbe3c82b.jpg

Jane has done it. She wrote another great story.

photo tumblr_nb47oelBoG1t372dyo1_500_zpsc7d0d3bf.gif

photo 908feef61c1cba22b46c0267a19b95f3_zpsffcd2e8b.jpg

Not repetitive. Not predictive. Summer of Seventeen is a Simple, Life-Like, Emotional ride. From the bottom of my heart I will tell you this: Get your tissues ready and breathe. This is a Page Turner and is prepared for a battle. Summer o
☆ Aimetz

5 AMAZING STARS!!!
WOW, that was intense and amazing.

Recibí este libro directamente de la autora y me siento muy honrada de haber sido una de las primeras personas en haberlo leído.

Cuando vi que el libro trataba de un Young Adult y una historia teeneger pensé: Wow, aquí vamos con otra historia más del montón.
Dios, que equivocada estaba, Jane simplemente ha escrito otra maravillosa historia.

Una historia nunca antes vista, una historia que no es cliché, una historia que la sientes real y viv
Shamika
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
4.5 Stars

Loved it!!

photo SummerofSeventeen_zpsd8307039.jpg

This story has so many good things going for it that made it such an enjoyable read. The setting of Summer of Seventeen actually happens to be my hometown. Being able to identify with the scenes and places mentioned in the story was an absolute plus.

It's summertime in a small beach town. Summer is joyous time for kids to kick back, relax and enjoy their time off from school. For Nick Andrews, this mean surf, sand and spending time with his girlfriend Yansi and best friend B
Meagan
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing

This book is totally different from anything Jane Harvy-Berrick has ever written. It’s not a romance. There’s a romance in the story, but the story isn’t a romance. It’s a stunning coming-of-age story that will rip you apart.

Nick’s life is one long series of miserable moments. His mother has recently died, his sister can’t stand him, his best friend is changing for the worse, and his girlfriend’s parents hate him.

sometimes I really though God hated me. It was mutual.

At seventeen Nick’s world is

Sammy ⭐️
Aug 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: stand-alone, 3-star

This is another book I've been putting off. I'm not normally one for teen romance and if I'm completely honest the cover really didn't do it for me. That being said I actually enjoyed how this turned out.

Nick has just lost his mum to cancer, having to learn quickly how to be a grown up is tough, with little money and a older sister who isn't dealing so well with her new responsibilities, life is slowing taking a turn for the worse. But the icing on the cake comes in the form of a new
Milot
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
***ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review***

"It was supposed to be the endless summer of sand, sea and surf."

Jane Harvey Berrick give us another sensational book. Yes.!! This book just exceeds my expectation upon reading the blurb because it tells so much more.

I fell in love with this author because of her unique stories and amazing talent in touching life with her books. She's one of the author who explores everything about life.

Summer of Seventeen is a story About a 17 y
Funzee Shu
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it

*** 4 Summer of Seventeen-stars ***

description

It was supposed to be the endless summer of sand, sea, and surf.

But then things happen...

Sean gone...
Yansi gone...
Mom gone forever.
And I realized something else: I wasn’t technically an adult, but I’d stopped being a child the day Mom told me she had cancer.

Yeah, not a day I’d ever forget.

It was supposed to be the endless summer of sand, sea, and surf, right ?

Yeah, supposed to be...

But sometimes shit happen, babe...
And life can be suck...

People ma
Gitte TotallyBookedBlog
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014

✯✯✯✯ 1/2 Stars

‘Don’t wait for life.’

Beautiful, sweet, hopeful, vivid, tragic and emotional. Those are my immediate thoughts on Summer of Seventeen by Jane Harvey-Berrick upon finishing.

“I’m with you because I see your soul. You’ve got a beautiful soul, you just don’t know it.”

I devoured this story and loved the fact that it was told from Nick’s POV; our male character. His journey through the summer was told in an almost melancholy way as he had to overcome tragedy and grow up whilst falling i
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was gifted a copy of this book for an honest review. I love the books I have read so far by Jane and this one is no different. It is a different story to what I have read from Jane so far, but different in a very good way!
It is a coming of age story, Nick is only 17, has lost his mum to cancer and now lives with his sister, who in her own way is trying to look out for him, bring him up but their relationship is quite 'rocky' as brother/sister relationships can be.
Nick loves to surf, he dabbl
Cath
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5stars. Apart from the shocking book cover this was a great read..... Really loved it
Pratr- Authors
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
5 fangs

Reviewed for paranormal romance and authors that rock.

This book should be aimed at the teen market, and is a standalone book.

It is well written and will keep you hooked from the start to the finish.
It will make you laugh and cry. It is hard hitting but overall a brilliant read. The characters are well thought out and you will feel a lot of emotions with the way it's written.

Nicky is looking forward to summer holidays but when his mother dies from cancer, his life is changed forever. He is
Eye Candy Bookstore
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is not a normal book I would have one clicked due to the cover. But it was such a great book! Nick is a broken boy who lost his mom to cancer and his sister is taking care of him. He is into alcohol, drugs and surfing. He gets a job with his girlfriends father to help his sister pay for bills. His sister puts in an ad for a roommate to take over their mom's old room. Marcus is everything Nick wants to be. He lives the easy life. But one night at the beach, tragedy strikes and turns Nick's w ...more
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it
This is a stunningly beautiful story that I loved. This author has a fantastic way with words. She grabs your attention from the start and captivates you.

This is Nicks story. It's a coming-of-age story. I'm really not going to spill the storyline. 1-click and jump right in. You won't regret it. Be warned you may need tissues. This is an emotional and angsty story.

This is one author I can 1-click and know I'll love her story. Looking forward to reading more by her. Highly recommend this story &
Sharla Metheny-ybanez
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I adore Jane's writing and this book is yet another reason why! I related to these wonderful characters; and I remember being seventeen! However what resonated with me is how she wrote Sean!! It evoked such emotion; I actually felt how desperate he was; and no one even noticed how off the rails he was emotionally; well done Jane!! And the brother, sister dynamic is true to form as well!! Each dealing with different stresses and emotions while dealing with their mother's death. Just resonated wit ...more
Elle
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
SPOILERS ALERT!!!

Es difícil encontrar libros que te hagan llorar no porque tiene un par de escenas emotivas, sino porque TODO el libro es una escena completa que te hace conocer a personajes que podrían ser tus vecinos, los hijos de algún allegado, o tus amigos.

Summer of Seventeen es ese libro para mí.

No tengo manera de empezar esto ordenadamente. No diré “ohh, me atrapó de inmediato”, porque la verdad, no lo hizo. Sentí que Nick tenía mucha furia en su interior, y en los primeros capítulo
Sheena Lumsden
In Summer of Seventeen, Jane Harvey-Berrick seems to have written a completely different style of book; however it did not stop me from enjoying the writing and story.

Jane Harvey-Berrick in my opinion is one of those talented writers, that puts her all into her craft and it shows in all her works. What is also noteworthy is the empathy she in everyone who reads her story and even more so in this book.

Nick the main character is a typical 17 year old, he wants to have fun., Nick’s passion is surfi
Gabri
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Summer of Seventeen is another great book by the talented Jane Harvey-Berrick.
This time we hear the story of Nick Andrews, a 17-year-old kickass surfer, who has a lot to deal with before realizing that life is always worth living: despite the adults around him, despite life's hard blows, despite his dysfunctional family.

At the start of summer, Nick is only looking forward to paddling the Ocean with his friends, making out with his girlfriend Yansi, and giving his step sister Julia the wide ber
Babyrn99
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Sigh...I so loved this book, very different from many of Jane's previous book, but I loved it just the same. As usual, I could picture each character and just loved Nick! Jane's gift for "getting" the mind of a 17 yo teen man/boy is just uncanny! 6+ beautiful stars with 3 kleenexes...
Southern Belle Book Blog
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
It’s no secret that I love Jane Harvey-Berrick. It’s one of my favorite things to sit down with my Kindle and dive into a new Jane novel, because you’re never sure what emotions she’s going to pull out of you. Is it going to be emotional and make you cry? Yeah, there’s a pretty good chance of that. Hot with lots of sexy scenes? Of course, it IS Jane after all. But every Jane novel is so different from any before it. That’s absolutely 100% the case with Summer of Seventeen. It’s unlike anything e ...more
Bianca
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

As a huge fan of this author, when I read the blurb I knew I had to read this. It sounded...different. And I was in the mood for different. But. It isn’t what it seems. I wasn’t supposed to like this story. At first, I wondered if I did. But then? But then, the story gripped be. So, no. I didn’t like this book. I loved it.

“Don’t wait for life.”

This summer Nick Andrews had plans to hang out with his beautiful girlfriend Anayansi Alfaro (Yansi) an
Jo - *✽*•.★Reading Is My Bliss★.•*✽*
Seventeen years old can be such a confusing age. Not quite an adult yet but very close to leaving home and making your way in the world. It can also be a year of experiencing 'firsts' like driving a car, freedom to go out, dabbling a bit with alcohol and weed and maybe falling in love?

All of this is what happens to Nick in his summer of seventeen but there is also a lot of pain heartache entwined through his summer too.

Nick and his sister Julia have just buried their mother after she died from t
Mazmum
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So whilst the subject matter will change, I can pretty much guarantee now when I read a book by Jane that it will have/be the following:

Be wonderfully crafted, pure poetic words laced throughout to weave a story that will sink into your soul

Be amazingly well researched - in this case, I now know an amazing amount about surfing that I would have never found out without reading this book

Cover hugely sensitive issues - always handled in a wonderfully sensitive, thought provoking manner

Summer of Sev
Mary S
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I knew to find enough time to read Jane Harvey-Berrrick's uninterrupted. There is just no way you can put it down until you are done. This latest book is about a young man named Nick, through his POV and his life during his summer of his seventeenth year, that has an impact on him for the rest of his life. Nick has been dealt a crappy hand. You feel his conflict throughout the book, and it's such an emotional road that you get to hear in his head. So many of these emotions and experiences I know ...more
Barbara
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was really worried about reading this book, I have read a few sad ones lately just didn't know if I could take another.

But I dug in and I so happy that I did. Nick sure had a hard time in life, but I loved how for the most part he did not let it get the best of him. When his girlfriend dumped him because of something that had happened he could have went wild but he didn't and he eventually got his girlfriend back.

For a 17 year old he was very mature and it made for a really great story, I lik
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Something like Redemption (Something like Normal, #2)
  • Girl of Lies (Rachel's Peril, #1; Thompson Sisters, #5)
  • NOT A BOOK: For the Summer
  • Sideswiped (Off the Map, #2)
  • Broken Chords (Love in London, #2)
  • Unhinge Me
  • Then There Was You (So Much It Hurts, #2)
  • Romantica (The Romantica Trilogy, #1)
  • Bathory: Memoir of a Countess
  • Forever Sky (Blue Phoenix, #6)
  • Fast (Fast, #1)
  • The End of Lies (The Single Lady Spy, #4)
  • Watch Me Fall
  • Grounded By You (A Willoughby Inn Love Story, #2)
  • Girl Most Likely To
  • My Masters' Nightmare Season 1, Ep. 3 "Betrayed" (My Masters' Nightmare, #3)
  • Chasing the Tide (Reclaiming the Sand, #2)
  • Out of Nowhere
Writing is my passion and my obsession. I write every day and I love it. My head is full of stories and characters. I'll never keep up with all my ideas!

I live in a small village by the ocean and walk my little dog, Pip, every day. It’s on those beachside walks that I have all my best ideas.

Writing has become a way of life – and one that I love to share.

To keep up-to-date with new books, special o