Start by marking “Vessel” as Want to Read:
Vessel

Vessel

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  27 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The sun exploded on April 18, 2112. It exploded in a Class X solar storm the likes of which humankind had never seen.

They had nineteen minutes.

Nineteen minutes until the geomagnetic wave washed over the Earth, frying every electrical device created by humans, blacking out entire continents, every satellite in their sky.

Nineteen minutes to say goodbye to the world they k
Published May 26th 2015 by Month9Books

To ask other readers questions about Vessel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vessel

Vesper Dreams
Nov 30, 2015 rated it liked it

Vessel is an intriguing story from the perspective of a disfigured slave in a world that believes the sun to have its own cognitive conscience... almost like a new type of God-figure after the world was flipped upside down, causing machines, technology, and electricity to fail.

A story of this nature is enjoyable and makes you think when written properly. Though this story was an entertaining one, it's just not good enough. As an avid reader, I look for books that can make me feel; books that ca
Holly
I have had my eye on this book since I first saw the cover reveal from Month9Books many moons ago. I love sci-fi, and VESSEL looked to be right up my alley. So I jumped on the chance to be part of the release week blog tour, and I’m so glad I did!

VESSEL takes place about 200 years after a massive solar storm has wiped out all electronics and most of the world’s population. Generations of people, descended from the relative few who survived, have been taught that Mother Sun was angry at the peopl
Aggie Unsworth
Nov 30, 2015 rated it liked it
This book is based in the far future, after the sun has destroyed everything electronic and all machinery. It's as if the world as we know it has been pulled hundreds of years back.

Alana is a slave to her masters, treated in the worse way possible not only by her masters but also by his wife's, who have spilled hot oil over her face. Leaving her scarred and hiding her face at all times. She barely manages to survive, having her own ways to find food when she didn't receive any from her masters.
Heather Duff
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love a dystopian novel, really, really love it. If a disaster is coming to wipe out the planet I am on it like a car bonnet (or hood if you live in North America but that doesn't rhyme). But as I have said before a lot of these books struggle to be fully original, time after time we meet a perfect girl who straight away goes out in to the post-apoc world kicking ass, Vessel is not like that at all.

It is set in the future, a future where a solar storm turned our world from a technological wonde
Mark Gardner
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
My biggest complaint with Vessel, by Lisa Cresswell, is that the story was disjointed. I understand the appeal of telling a story from different perspectives, but I really didn’t care about Recks. The story is about Alana, and when it diverged to Recks, my interest waned.

There was this Hunger Games/Maze Runner style vibe to it, but what it really reminded me of was the Tales of a Dying Star series, by David Kristof. Overall, Vessel was a good read, and I’d be interested in reading beyond the fin
Patricia Hamill
Vessel is a science fiction/post-apocalyptic/dystopian set a couple hundred years in the future after a mega solar flare sends the world into a new dark age. The inhabitants have become fearful of technology and the knowledge that spawned it, believing that such things caused Mother Sun to destroy their ancestors. Alana, a slave girl, finds herself embroiled in a struggle against the Reticents, a group determined to enforce mass ignorance, after helping two captives who are destined for the flam ...more
Marni
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love dystopian and you can't get much more dystopian than this. 50 years prior to the story the world was basically wiped clean of data, electronically held information, etc, by a solar storm. There's some information still out there, but it's held on tightly by a small group. This is the story of Alana, a slave girl, and her life.

I liked Alana right away. I could sense her resentment and anger and could understand her, as a person. As the author tells us the story, she also allows us to get t
Danielle
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Read this review and more on my blog.

I was given a free copy of Vessel for my honest opinion

Well, that was a disappointment.
Vessel is set in the year 2118, the sun has made all of modern technology useless, and essentially humanity has gone back to the dark ages. We follow Alana, a slave who, in opinion, does not do much. Yes, I know that she is an uneducated slave, but generally I am sympathise with most characters, or atlas understand where they are coming from.
I will admit their were a few p
Tamara
Vessel for the most part was a good read. The romance is sweet and the action is abundant. The ending however, took a turn I was not expecting - at all. I’m not sure if there is going to be a sequel to this story or not, but the ending just left me, well, for lack of a better word, just bummed. There was no happily- ever- after and really no closure. The writing itself was great. The story line flowed really well up until the end. Ms. Cresswell did a wonderful job with descriptions so much that ...more
Jennifer Mangler
Jun 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy, ya
Holy crap, what a disappointment! I picked this one solely for the "join forces to bring knowledge and books back to the human race" part, but that's not really what the book is about. At all. And the whole weird twist at the end? Ugh! There was lots of potential here in the idea of a group hording knowledge to maintain power, but it's totally wasted in this story.
Disability in Kidlit
The main character has severe burns on one side of her face, which left her blind in that eye. She may also have PTSD.
Rebecca
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great story, review to come.
G.L. Tomas
Jun 23, 2015
Elena
Jun 21, 2018
lynda
rated it did not like it
Feb 02, 2018
Mick Loves Books
Danielle
Beppe DM
  • Lifer
  • Into The Dark (Into The Dark, #1)
  • Facsimile
  • Gods of Chaos (Red Magic #2)
  • Dead Jed: Adventures of A Middle School Zombie
  • Ashes in the Sky (Fire in the Woods, #2)
  • Edge of Truth
  • Curse of the Granville Fortune (Curse of the Granville Fortune, #1)
  • King of the Mutants
  • Very Superstitious: Myths, Legends and Tales of Superstition
  • Secret of the Corpse Eater (The Undertakers, #3)
  • The Tinker King (The Unnaturalists, #2)
  • Of Delicate Pieces (Of Breakable Things #2)
  • King (The Dragon King Chronicles, #3)
  • Breakdown
  • The Reaper's Daughter
  • Untaken
  • Neverlove (Shadow Jumpers, #1)

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Replacement Crush
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Conjure (Hoodoo Apprentice)
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99