Start by marking “To The Poles Without A Beard” as Want to Read:
To The Poles Without A Beard

To The Poles Without A Beard

The story of an ordinary thirty-something city girl who became the first British woman to walk to the South Pole. 'We called ourselves Plebs to the Pole. It was the first time travellers with no previous polar experience had the chance to attempt such a journey. Before our expedition, Antarctica had been sacred territory - the preserve of scientists and real explorers. No ...more
256 pages
Published 2002 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about To The Poles Without A Beard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To The Poles Without A Beard

Clare O'Beara
This honest memoir is a contradiction in terms. Catharine became, with another woman team mate, the first British woman to walk to the South Pole - a year later they were the first British women to walk to the North Pole, making them the world's first women to walk to both Poles. And she tells us that she did this because she had nothing better to do.

Lacking a direction in life and disliking school, this young woman took stage manager jobs because they were easy and she was shy. She spent time
Jeff
Aug 16, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: antarctica
I met Catharine when she arrived at the South Pole. Looking forward to seeing what her experience was like getting there, and getting home.
Babs
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favourite books.

The book is written by Catharine Hartley, the first British woman to walk to both the South and North poles. She was a 30-something Bridget Jones-type media exec in London with no direction, smoking too many cigarettes and having too many boozy nights out. Fed up with her life she decides, one New Year's Eve, to set out to walk to the South pole. With no experience, training, funding, equipment (she actually has to detour on the way to Heathrow en route to South
Tanya
This is a memoir about the first British woman to walk to both poles on a guided journey. Her first trip to the Antarctic really annoyed me as I felt she was a little self-indulgent and put so many people at risk with her ill-preparation. However, i do have to give her kudos for persevering and the mental drive she must have is inspirational. Her trip to the Arctic was much easier to read for me and I enjoyed it, I felt supportive of her and amazed at her achievement.

Some of the British slang th
Christina
Oct 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Stunning story of this woman who, according to herself, started out as a 'nobody', had trouble with unemployment and dedication and perservearance in the 'normal' civilized world. However, her dreams of polar exploration actually took her far away and she managed to cross both poles - in spite of her lack of a beard.... How absolutely astounding!! I loved this book!!!
Karen
Oct 14, 2013 rated it liked it
this book made me very glad that I have chosen to do a cruise to Antarctica and not a walking holiday to the Pole!
Hilary Lang Greenebaum
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
An easy humorous read with deeper punch than you would guess. Superficially think Barbie goes to the Artic with smokes & a whole lot more. Very Good! I admire her pluck and perserverance.
Deb