Start by marking “Even the Moon Has Scars” as Want to Read:
Even the Moon Has Scars

Even the Moon Has Scars

Two strangers.
Two broken hearts.
One night to set each other free.

Almost dying from an undiagnosed heart condition means every second of your life is a precious gift to be guarded.
Lena Pettitt was born a miracle.
And her parents never let her forget it.
Even if that daily reminder kept her from experiencing the one thing they were trying to protect most--her life.

Gabri
Paperback
Published October 28th 2014 (first published October 17th 2014)

Jennifer Kyle
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

3.75 ~ 4 Stars

”For once I want to do something stupid. For once I want to live a little. And I want to do it with you.”

description

This is a quick sweet story about a girl who is considered a miracle to her family due to a heart condition. Her condition leads her parents to be extremely over protective and a guy whose mother has sent him to stay with his grandmother because of the trouble he is constantly finding himself in which is always centered around his toxic ex-girlfriend.

Lena’s parents go away f
Lisa
*ARC Given to Blog for Honest Review*

4 “scars” “hairline fractures” Kisses

Twenty-four hours + two fabulous characters + countless emotions = happy book nerd! :-) Seriously…I can’t even get over what Steph Campbell just did. The concept, Lena, Gabe, the angst and feelings it brought out in me…it’s flippin awesome what I just experienced. Even the Moon has Scars was unique…original…captivating…beautifully written and insanely memorable.

Gabriel Bryk Martinez…Gabe…oh my rebel with a big heart. Thi
Melissa Brown
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites-shelf
Even the Moon Has Scars is one of the most poignant and well crafted YA novels I have ever read with two equally lovable and realistic main characters. I felt like I knew Gabe and Lena personally, and I was sad when my time with them came to an end. Steph Campbell, you continue to dazzle me with your skills and unique voice. I hope you never stop writing!
Kath
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two strangers.
Two broken hearts.
One night to set each other free.

I have to admit that I bought this book because of its lovely cover, plus the title caught my attention. I didn't know what to expect because I hadn't read the summary and this was my first Steph Campbell read. I'm so glad that I enjoyed it.

Lena is a walking miracle. She was born with multiple heart defects and had a surgery when she was still a baby. She's now seventeen years old but her parents are still keeping a very close eye
Autumn Doughton
Oct 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book surprised me. I started it thinking I would read for a bit, put it down and come back to the story when I had time. I ended up canceling my plans and devouring it in one sitting. It was that good.

This is my favorite kind of book: the overall plot is fairly simple but the voices... ah, the voices are special. Gabe and Lena are two fantastically developed YA characters that will wiggle their way into your heart and stay there for a long time. I laughed with them. I was angry with them. I
Michael Burhans
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
EVEN THE MOON HAS SCARS is quite simply an example of a master at the top of her game. Steph Campbell has written several of my favorite books. Some YA and some NA, all very good works. I think, however, that she is particularly gifted at YA. Her characters are all a little quirky and somewhat left of normal, but all believable so, and none of them far enough out where you can't think of people you know just like them.

In this book the two main protagonists are both damaged somewhat by things t
Mandy
This is such a beautiful story! Gabe has been sent away to stay with his grandma after he got into some trouble. Lena is kind of a miracle, she survived having a rare heart condition and open heart surgery but her family treats her like she is fragile and they are very overprotective. When Lena, while being left home alone for the first time, locks herself out of her house and knocks on her neighbors garage it sets off a night she will never forget. Gabe and Lena are well thought out characters, ...more
Nicole
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of Even The Moon Has Scars in exchange for an honest review. When I first started reading I was a little hesitant that it was going to be the typical boy meets girl. Girl falls for boy. They live happily ever after type situation. Although after reading I was pleasantly surprised it wasn't exactly like that. Lol. I mean yes it was, but there was just so much more. If that makes any sense at all.

Lena is a young woman who has lived a pretty sheltered life. Feeling tons of guilt
Dalene
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Gabe and Lena <3
Even the Moon Has Scars is my first novel that I have read by Steph Campbell, but it will not be my last.

First off, look at that cover. The cover is the reason that the book captured me in the first place. But then you read the description and you have to buy it.

Lena is a girl who is homeschooled, the baby of the family, and the girl who has her parents watching her every move. Why? Lena has a heart condition. She had surgery on her heart as a baby but her parents like to kee
Jazmen
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's just this ordinary story with these ordinary characters, in these sort of extraordinary circumstances that wound up being unintentionally beautiful.

It's like I can't say much about this story besides I really enjoyed it. I like how ordinary it was but still endearing, still entertaining, without having to try too hard to be something it's not.

Lena, is this miracle child turned teen who hasn't been able to experience real life because of her sheltered life--and Gabe is her total opposite. He
Alhanouf
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
that was simply heart warming, it was bigger than the simple boy meets a girl type of book for me; its what you get from it.
Marlene
Mar 13, 2015 rated it liked it
3.75
Moon Love
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If I had to summarize this book with only a single word, it'd be: Beautiful. Thankfully I can use more than one word, because beautiful is not enough to encompass this amazing story. Everything about it is beautiful, from the cover, to the characters, to the journey they take. I thought I was in for a story that was going to leave curled up and sobbing. Instead, I found a story that certainly filled my eyes with tears, but none fell. Instead I finished this book with this sense of wonder and ama ...more
Tina
Oct 31, 2014 marked it as to-read
2.5-3 Stars!

I hesitate to actually give this book a goodreads rating just because I think my own personal bias will affect too much of the rating this book deserves so for now I'll just leave the rating on this review.

Honestly, I don't think there's anything wrong with the book. It's just that it didn't personally appeal to me. I really liked it enough that I was caught up in it from the beginning to middle, but from middle to end I found myself wanting to rush to the end. I don't know if it's b
Heather Anne
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, arcs
Lena Pettitt was born with a heart defect and after many surgeries and fears that she would not survive, she beat the odds and had grown up to be a fairly healthy teenager…her parents miracle. Her parents have sheltered her from most of the things a normal teenager does- she is homeschooled, she has never been out with a boy and the only friend she seems to have is her sister her looks at her more as burden. What is the point of being given a second chance at life if you don’t have the opportuni ...more
Michelle
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I was born with half of a working heart, and as a consequence, I will only live half of a life.

This quote is so poignant and so relevant to the story, its scary seeing how over protective Lena's family is, and she is basically half a person.
When I first hear about Even the Moon Has Scars I knew it was one I had to read so when I filled in the form to be part of the tour I had no expectations whatsoever that I would be accepted, so when I got the email with my review copy I was beyond excited and
Jamie Siemsen
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: giveaways

I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway over a year ago, but due to an error of communications / technical difficulties I never received the book. Luckily I was able to contact the author and she hooked me up ASAP once she realized the issue. Props to her for being super helpful and hella understanding!

Even the Moon has Scars was pretty decent. It was a nice coming-of-age type story that kept me entertained and provided a nice break from my super stressful college-related activities, a
Lola
Once in a while (and more than I’d like), I find myself with anxiety so awful that I cannot do anything. I can’t sleep, focus on my homework, or even look at my phone. To deal with my anxiety, I try to feel safe. I’ll go sit in my closet, doors closed, and read a book on my Kindle. The most recent of those books was Even the Moon Has Scars.

God, this book was just what I needed that night. I needed to escape my brain for a while, and this story did that. I was so invested in Lena and Gabriel ‘s r
Colleen Oppenheim
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5 STARS

*This book was given to me for a fair and honest review*

I needed this book. I needed it to remind me why I love YA romance fiction. I was disillusioned for a long time and avoided it because I felt like it was riding the coattails of a “popular” YA writer and hence providing readers with mediocre, cookie cutter stories. Then, Even the Moon Has Scars showed up in my inbox and I found my love again.

A beautifully written story of a girl breaking her boundaries and discovering love outsid
Amy (Amysbookcorner)
I am really not sure how i feel about this book. The rating is between 3 and 4 stars somewhere. I dont feel like its quite a 4 star but its near.
In all honestly I did enjoy reading this book when I had the time to read it, however, i i missed the pulling feeling the wanting to go back in the story when I was not reading it. I kept reading it just for the sake of reading it.
I enjoyed the storyline I think it was a really sweet "quick read", however, I feel like it kind of put me in a reading sl
Nilu
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Once in your life you'll find her
Someone who turns your heart around
And next thing you know
You're cruising around the town

Don't be afraid he's with you
Even though you should be heading home
You're wonderin' to yourself
Hey what've I found

When you get caught between the moon and Boston City
I know it's crazy , but it's true
If you get caught between the moon and Boston City
The best that you can do
The best that you can do
is fall in love

(With apologies to Christopher Cross, Burt Bacharach,Carole Ba
Mtl55
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I forgot how much I love to read YA until I read this book. The story starts off really seeing the story behind two broken characters . Lena is girl with a family who showers her with tremendous love. Maybe a little too much. Because of her heart defect they fear losing her but in doing so they are preventing her from really living.
Gabe has it all. The prestigious life and a town that's his. But really the only thing really lacking is real honest love. When they meet and have a full day togethe
Lori Clark
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, romance, ya
What a sweet, wonderful story. I loved Gabe and Lena separately. I loved Gabe and Lena together. I know some will argue that the book was too short, they wanted more Gabe and Lena. I think it was just right. Yes, I could always read more about Gabe and Lena, but sometimes the author just knows when it's time to save good-bye. Their time together was fun and it served its purpose. They both learned so much during their one night together. About each other and about themselves. The story is clean ...more
Trisha
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Some risks just aren't worth it. Sometimes, you just have to do anything you can to protect what matters."

aww, this was adorable. I loved it! Which surprised me. The story line is pretty simple but it's the characters that sold me. I loved their instant curiosity in each other and their wonder to push the night and to have fun - to try new things.

I remember meeting my husband and our first few dates. It was exactly the same - that instant curiosity and wanting to know more about each other. Wha
Kelly
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Even The Moon Has Scars was a quick, sweet YA read. It was a refreshing change to read something that was realistic but also relatively drama free in comparison to a lot of books out there.

Gabe is struggling with the issue of distant parents and Lena is struggling with parents who suffocate her. This is the story of them spending one night in each others company, opening up to each other and learning about life along the way.

Highly recommended for Steph Campbell fans, and just anyone who wants
Amal
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Oh. My. God.

I loved it! It is the perfect book when you're recovering from a book hang-over or a Reading slump. To me it's a paradox because it's light but also incredibly dark. I love both main characters: Gabe and Lena. Mostly Gabe. I love the guy.

The reason it doesn't have five stars is because I'd like to know more about Lena's best friend Lily and I wanted to read more about her parents.

And just one more thing: THE COVER. I HAVE NEVER SEEN SUCH A BEAUTIFUL COVER WHICH ALSO RELATES PERFECT
mith
I remember seeing this labelled under new adult? I don't know why exactly because literally nothing of that sort happened??
Anyway, when I give two stars, it is because I found the book terrible but it had some enjoyable aspect. Surprisingly, this wasn't the case with this book. I actually did like it. A little bit, not a whole lot. But I certainly was not impressed. So, for right now, it's being categorised under the GR version of two stars: it was okay.
Review to maybe come?
Jacky
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Such a cute contemporary! Sometimes a little bit overly cheesy but hey, I really liked it. I can definitely recommend this book!

(I think it's my personal mission to shout out great self published books as much as I can!)
valeria
Jan 20, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5* sweet story
  • Dethroning Crown
  • Love Like Crazy
  • Blame It on the Mistletoe
  • Love Me (Starstruck, #2)
  • Get What You Need
  • The Second Chance Hero (Forever Love, #4)
  • Bulletproof (Songbird, #2)
  • Miss Congeniality (The Misses Trilogy, #1)
  • The Mistletoe Effect (One and Only Texas, #0.5)
  • Tempting the Player (London Legends, #3)
  • So Lyrical (So Lyrical, #1)
  • He Saved Me (He Found Me, #2)
  • Everly After
  • Dating Husbands
  • The Hit List
  • Catching Heat (Feeling the Heat, #3)
  • Carolina Blues (Dare Island, #4)
  • The Evolution of Ivy: Antidote (The Evolution of Ivy, #2)
Mom.
Wife.
YA Author.
So Cal Native.
Bayou Transplant.
Reluctant Texan.
I hate shows with laugh tracks.