Start by marking “Awful Auntie” as Want to Read:
Awful Auntie

Awful Auntie

A page-turning, rollicking romp of a read, sparkling with Walliams' most eccentric characters yet and full of the humour and heart that all his readers love, Awful Auntie is simply unmissable!

From larger than life, tiddlywinks obsessed Awful Aunt Alberta to her pet owl, Wagner – this is an adventure with a difference. Aunt Alberta is on a mission to cheat the young Lady St
Published September 25th 2014 by HarperCollinsChildren'sBooks (first published November 27th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Awful Auntie, please sign up.
CJ Allen loads of people were recommending this book to me so I read it

Hannah Greendale
It's not difficult to discern why Walliams is being compared to Roald Dahl. Awful Auntie is a humorous combination of flights of fancy and macabre backstory, exaggerated villains, and an ill-treated child protagonist. On top of which, Tony Ross' illustrations are so like Quentin Blake's, it's uncanny.

This particular book was not a huge hit for me - perhaps because of the inevitable comparison to Roald Dahl, who simply cannot be bested - but this will definitely appeal to young readers, and Awful
Michael Finocchiaro
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another fantastic, wonderful Walliams book! This time Stella, Lady Saxby although she is but 12 befriends Soot, a ghost in Saxby Hall and they team up to defeat the truly despicable Awful Auntie Alberta. Add in a wonderful huge owl named Wagner and you have another classic and hilarious children's tale. Oh, and Raj is not in this book and wrote a letter of complaint included in the final pages. Another must from Walliams!!
Mark Lawrence
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I will admit that I have been biased against David Walliams purely because he (appeared) to get a free pass into writing books by virtue of being a famous TV personality.

However.

This book was a step up from Mr Stink and I can't deny that it's very good. I read it to Celyn and she asked that I give it 5*. Personally I would deduct 1* and here's why:

Someone bought Celyn this book in hardcover. It looks to be if not a fat book then at least not slender. Inside along with a font large enough to be s
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Aug 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
ADORABLE AND HILARIOUS! I can definitely see why David Walliams is being called the next generation's Roald Dahl!
Katy Noyes
Oct 03, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm glad that children love these books. David Walliams is helping keep libraries and bookshops busy with children requesting his titles, just as J. K. Rowling has done, this generation are enjoying their books and hopefully spring-boarding to other authors and titles that will fire their imaginations.

But I'm not going to give any author unconditional praise if it's not due. But I was disappointed by lots of things in this latest Walliams offering.

The good?

A wonderfully wordy opening scene (expe
K.J. Charles
This was excruciating. Five endless hours on audiobook in the car. It actually hurt.

I have no issue with celeb writers if they do a good job and I've long defended Walliams as a thoroughly talented children's author in his own right. But we have a problem when an author gets too big to edit, and it's really clear that for whatever reason no half way decent editor went anywhere near this.

The repetitions are agonising, with the plot summarised for us again and again and again; the repeated use of
Kristina
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I can't get enough of David's books! 💖
Nadja
A charming book yet I didn't feel enthuastic about it as with the children books of Roald Dahl. The story was a bit too repetitive for my taste and I wasn't a big fan of the illustrations. But I'm certain that I'll give another book of David Walliams a try in the near future!
Priya Arun
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Awful Auntie by David Williams is a children fiction work.

About the story:

Aunt Alberta is in a mission of seeking an inheritance of the Great Saxby Hall, corners her cousin Stella and tortures her. Stella lost her parents in an accident, she was in a state of futile. “Soot” a Chimney ghost comes in, to aid her.

What happens next? Will Aunt Alberta succeed her mission of claiming the inheritance? Is Stella’s parent’s accident being really an accident? Will Stella be able to figure out the truth?
Gail Allaway
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Awful auntie, or awful story? An over long, trying to be funny story about a little girl, whose parents have been murdered by her owl obsessed eponymous awful auntie, now imprisoned in her parents’ large country house while her aunt tries to ascertain the whereabouts of the deeds to the house before she kills her! This book tries to be as clever and witty as a Roald Dahl but fails. The characters? A one dimensional, violent, evil aunt who overuses baby language in an attempt to portray patronizi ...more
Rosie
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A real funny weird book and a real awful auntie
Zaz
3.5 stars. An in-between read, with good action and danger but a thin storyline.

The book had a nice Dahl atmosphere with a very abusive and deathly adult and a poor child trying to survive. I liked the addition of an owl and a ghost, they make the full cast more interesting and leading to unusual interactions. The writing was pleasant, with enough humor (the spelling!), and plenty of stuff happened. The sense of danger was good and the threats felt real, so the read wasn't boring. However, the s
Simon
Mar 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Can see why kids love these. A proper fun romp for kids which I rather enjoyed, though no one can replace Roald Dahl for me I can see why Walliams is becoming the Dahl of today.
Vanja
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Teta Alberta je zbilja grozna, i nema toga što bi tu njenu grozotu, zloću, gramzivost i sebeljublje umanjilo do kraja romana. Ona je grozna i točka. S njom tih 30-ih godina 20. st. živi mala Stella, koja će uskoro napuniti 13 godina i koja je nakon smrti svojih roditelja naslijedila imanje Saxby Hall. Alberta muči Stellu jer se želi dočepati bratove oporuke kako bi prisvojila Saxby Hall. I tu se zapravo odvija cijela radnja: Alberta muči Stellu, Stella želi pobjeći, pomaže joj duh Soot, pa jedn ...more
Jason
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So far my favourite David Walliams book, I like how he has broken his own mould here and not included his repeating characters...although Raj's petition at the end of the book was a brilliant addition.

It took me a little while to get into the story, there are a lot of filler pages at the beginning containing lists, but once you get past that the plot starts to unfold and it is a very interesting one at that. It is a very dark story, lots of gruesome murders, and quite a few plot twists, to me th
Andy
Jul 21, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Vor Spoilern sei im Vorfeld gewarnt!
Welcher Altersgruppe oder jungem Leser könnte ich dieses Buch empfehlen. Genau betrachtet niemandem. Das hätte ein schönes Kinderbuch werden können. Doch warum gehen Kinderbuchautoren wie David Walliams scheinbar davon aus, dass Kinder dumm seien und sie ihre jungen Leser in Konsequenz so dermaßen unterfordern oder unterschätzen?

Der Charakter von besagter Tante ist so unglaubwürdig dargestellt, dass der Leser schon sehr jung sein muss, um alle das konfuse Zeu
Mehsi
Even though generally David Walliams books are hit and miss, I just keep reading them, hoping to find another one that is good. Did I like this one? At times, yes, but mostly no.

Stella was a great character, it wasn't her fault. She was the reason why I gave the book 2 stars at all. Even though her life is turned upside down, even with the loss she has suffered, she keeps on fighting. But she also shows emotion, we can see that she is terribly sad, and afraid. Yet, with the help of Soot, she co
Archie Gothard
May 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Sophia Luo
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Throughout this whole book I was wondering when Raj would come in. When the book finished I was super duper disappointed that he WASN'T in the book so I would've given this book 3 stars. But Raj's letter of complaint at the end is hilarious which is why I give this book 7 stars. TBH I think Raj's letter is better than the book itself.
Sanja_Sanjalica
Well, Walliams is not for me, I would say, not because I'm not the target reader, but because I don't like his "humor". So, even though I finished the book out of sheer curiosity to see what kind of weird and sometimes disgusting events he will put in (3 stars for making me curious, otherwise it would be two), I couldn't get into the mood. As with Dahl, it seemes to me I will like only one book by Walliams and not like all the others. I will give him one more chance, perhaps, just to be up to da ...more
Lucija The Reader
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to harper Reach for sending me a copy of this book for a review. however, this doesn't affect my opinion.
Well, honestly, I don't even really know what to write about when I've already reviewed some of David Walliams' books before, and I just don't know what to say because I feel like I've already said almost everything. So, this review will be quite a short one.
This one is my favorite David Walliams book so far, it was a tiny bit spooky, very funny and also a bit sad. I love Walliams' se
Colette Kebell
Feb 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
Apologies but this just wasn't my cup of tea. Just couldn't get into it at all. Why the author is listed as David Walliams when all he does is put his name to it, so it seems, is beyond me as well. I only read about 30 pages....
TEA SCRIE SI CITESTE
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Matusica Alberta este una dintre cele mai îngrozitoare matusici din întreaga lume...
Janet Hutchinson
I totally get why kids love his books - this was a quick read and enjoyable. My favourite is still Boy in a dress.
Jenny / Wondrous Reads
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A very high 4/5 for this one. Great fun.

On second thoughts, I loved it too much to only give it 4 stars!
Lovedreadingthis
So after a very slow start, this book got better and better. Worth persevering!
Debbie
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous, dark tale of a little girl struggling to deal with her owl obsessed Awful Auntie Alberta. As per usual beautifully written with a dry wit. We loved it
Evelyn Romp
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bieb
haha!!! David Walliams is zo grappig! heerlijk gruwelijk en spannend, love love love it!
Amber Sullivan
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Awesome book!! Funny, adventurous, exciting!! Everything a good book needs.
Faith Spinks
Recommended to me by my 7 year old nephew Nathaniel.

While reading it with his mum, Nathaniel loved talking about how his Auntie Faith is not like the Auntie in the book, and how terrible it would be if she was!!! Phew! Not least, he later explained to me, because I don't have a pet Bavarian Owl and because in a war I wouldn't chose to fight on the other side just because I thought there uniform was nicer! Haha!

I may be slightly older than 7 myself and therefore no longer young enough to see gho
  • The Bolds
  • Julius Zebra: Rumble with the Romans!
  • Mr. Gum and the Cherry Tree (Mr. Gum, #7)
  • Wed Wabbit
  • Mabel Jones and the Forbidden City
  • Who Let the Gods Out? (Who Let the Gods Out?, #1)
  • The Return of the Killer Cat (The Killer Cat, #2)
  • Dumbness is a Dish Best Served Cold (Dear Dumb Diary: Deluxe)
  • Life of Zarf: The Trouble with Weasels
  • I Believe in Unicorns
  • Post für den Tiger
  • The Rhyming Rabbit
  • Oliver and the Seawigs
  • Snoring Beauty
  • Selfish Pigs
  • My Autosaurus Will Win! (Geronimo Stilton Cavemice #10)
  • Sirli, Siim ja saladused
  • Fantastic Mr Dahl
David Walliams is an actor and writer best known for his work with Matt Lucas in the multi-award-winning sketch show Little Britain. His debut children's novel, The Boy in the Dress, was published in 2008 to unanimous critical acclaim and he has since developed a reputation as a natural successor to Roald Dahl.
“Another time Stella heard the two of them splashing around in the bath together. It wasn’t natural, it wasn’t right, and it definitely couldn’t be hygienic. Especially not for the owl.” 1 likes
“Alberta thought for a moment, and took a live mouse out of her pocket by its tail before dropping it into Wagner’s mouth. The bird wolfed the unfortunate creature whole.” 1 likes