Start by marking “The Worst Kind of Monster: A Short Horror Story” as Want to Read:
The Worst Kind of Monster: A Short Horror Story

The Worst Kind of Monster: A Short Horror Story

Why won't anyone believe me?

Dustin knows there's something in the basement. He's heard the growling from the laundry chute for days. If he wants his parents to believe him, he's going to need proof. And to get that, he's going to have to go down there with....

The Worst Kind of Monster
Published August 10th 2014

To ask other readers questions about The Worst Kind of Monster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Worst Kind of Monster

Start your review of The Worst Kind of Monster: A Short Horror Story
Stuart Keane
A nice, quick read. I've always said the best kind of horror is the terror that weaves through society, and this story is one prime example of that. For everyone? No, the mature themes included in the book may offend some people; some topics will always be risqué, such is the nature of humanity.

Luckily, the author has the ability to pull this off, avoiding the potential footfalls of such a topic. In a short page length, he brings a primitive childhood fear to brutal life, twisting it into a
Dez Nemec
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, horror
Short and brutal

Can't say much without ruining the story, and what a story it was. Extremely brutal yet thought provoking. Well done.
Alice Blackburn
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The worst kind of Monster

The title is so befitting to the character. Teaching racism is so not right. It is a learned disease. There is only one race, called human. We all need to love one another, see how that works out ! The author Shaun Hupp was so on point ! I look forward to reading his other books. Very thought provoking and interesting, a good lesson to learn. The Truth ! I wish I could post this book on Facebook and Twitter accounts. Some people could actually learn from this story.
Shadow Girl
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: michiganmadmen
The Worst Kind of Monster: A Short Horror Story powerful & thought provoking short story by Shaun Hupp.

I thought I knew where the story was heading - but I was caught off guard!
I really hope that the author will revisit Dustin one day - introduce us to him as an adult, and touch on the nature vs. nurture battle that will be raging within him.
Jeanine
Aug 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow! I would qualify it as the worst kind of Monster!
Terry West
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A dark family fairy tale for the damned. I loved it. Shaun Hupp is a high quality author of darkness and I can't wait to read more.
Darren Dilnott
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Briliant story. Great twist.
Paranormal Books R Us
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dark and twisty it was not what I was expecting but the ending really stuck in my head. A quick interesting read.
JeNNiiFeR Lee
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow

I have to say I didn't see that ending.. it's sad there are monsters everywhere and you never know who really is.. this story hurt my heart..
Paul
It all depends on where your horror threshold is as to how disturbing you will find this short story. The author starts off with lots of warnings that you might find the following story very graphic and so I was expecting something good. To be honest, compared to a Tim Miller book or other extreme horror authors this is not that graphic. It's well written mind you, it just did not live up to its own hype. Meh, maybe I'm just too desensitised these days.
Sharon
May 04, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a short horror story. No ghosts or vampires, not even a zombie but it is a horror story. The horror is what people can do to each other. No real surprises here. I kind of figured out what was going on pretty early on but the real horror is at the end. The story is good although a tad predictable but worth the 15 minutes it will take to read it.
Carrie
Dec 31, 2018
Skyler C
Jan 25, 2016
Marianne Reid
Mar 18, 2017
Lisa
May 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Good writing, I just didn't like the story content. Even after the authors explanation.
Cathy Blackbear
Richard Whittaker
Oct 14, 2014
Charles Miske
Apr 26, 2017 rated it liked it
As far as books go, yes, it was written well enough, kept you guessing pretty far into the book, had a slightly unexpected ending, and was probably a good showcase of the writer's other work.

If you're not comfortable enough reading a character from out of the 60's, violence against women, kids and racially motivated violence, you might not want to read this.

Why only a 3? IMHO it could have been about 3x longer, explored the protagonist a little bit more, and had spent time with creating some
John Lyon
Jun 30, 2017

• Where the Monsters Live: A Dark Revenge Thriller
  • She'll Never Know
  • Camp Blaze
  • The Giving of Things Cold & Cursed: A Baker Johnson Tale (Single Shot Short Story Series Book 9)
  • Sweat & Blood: Sharp Short Stories