Start by marking “Tough-Luck Karen” as Want to Read:
Tough-Luck Karen

Tough-Luck Karen

(Sossi Family)

This fourth novel about the popular Sossi family focuses on 13-year-old Karen and the bad luck she encounters when she ignores her schoolwork for cooking and babysitting. Skilled in making everyday occurrences interesting, the author has written a pleasant story of a caring family.--Horn Book.
Published September 18th 1991 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Tough-Luck Karen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tough-Luck Karen

Jessica
One of the books of my youth about a girl- just like me! Who gets into trouble with babysitting- just like . . . not me, who hated babysitting! But I would read any book that wasn't about a dog or a horse dying, so this was . . . fine.
Kasen.A
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book TOUGH LUCK KAREN by Johanna Hurwitz. The main character is Karen and her family mainly. Karen’s a 13 year old girl struggling to keep her grades up and her life together.
Karen’s growing up and she’s have trouble doing so. She gets a big responsibility of working as a baby sitter. At the beginning of the book she get junk mail to send out a letter or get bad luck and she refused to send the letter bc it was just junk mail.
I think the book had a good ending. The book showed a car
Karen
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is just what I needed, a funny, light hearted book. I was in need of a light hearted book because the last two books I read were really deep and had me kind of down. I really enjoyed this book, one because it has my name in it and two because it was very entertaining. The author did a good job making this book interesting and full of action. This book was very well written and I don’t think she could change anything to make this book better. All of the elements were realistic. Happy Re ...more
Mande Garrett
Karen had a hard time with her schoolwork since her family had moved. She felt like she was in a slump and had a hard time adjusting. Till she started babysitting and that had to be taken away so she can learn that school work was as important if not more important than babysitting. Karen had came up with a great idea for her science project thanks to her mom and younger brother Aldo. Moral of the story don't let change and a little bad luck to take over your life.
Alice
Nov 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got this book in grade 6 when our teacher retired. Still have it lol. I really like this book cause it gave me some tips to bread making. Didn't like how Karen was really whiny sometimes. JUST DO YOUR HOMEWORK, then you won't be behind! Jeez!

Read this when I have nothing else to read. I just look back at the funny parts. (EX: Keif/Keith powder, Karen unpowder)
Sally
A really good one for Baby-Sitters Club fans, and this Karen (unlike Brewer, yechh) was a really great character - I love how she was so into her cooking :) I just wish I could find the other Sossi family books, since apparently this is #4!
Mazzou B
May 13, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up free somewhere and skimmed through it to see if it was fun for my younger sisters. Surprisingly especially for a book of this era, it had nothing bad in it. It was kind of funny and relateable. Nothing you HAVE to read, but still okay.
Kirsten Murphy
Another childhood favorite
Karen
Aug 16, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: owned
1.5
Brooke
Dec 13, 2007 rated it really liked it
i read this when i was like 8. fun times.
Emily
Aug 15, 2015
Susanna
Feb 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Johanna Hurwitz is the author of more than 60 children's books. These include RUSSELL SPROUTS, BASEBALL FEVER, PEEWEE'S TALE, SQUIRREL WORLD, MIGHTY MONTY and THE HOT & COLD SUMMER. In addition, she has written several biographies for young readers including ones about Anne Frank and Helen Keller. Her books have won many children's choice awards from states where readers vote for their favori ...more

Sossi Family (6 books)