Start by marking “Specs for Rex” as Want to Read:
Specs for Rex

Specs for Rex

Rex has new specs and he DOES NOT LIKE THEM!

Rex does NOT want to wear his new glasses to school. He tries his very best to hide them -- in the strangest places! But it's very tricky when they are so BIG and ROUND and RED.

It's funny how things turn out, though, because Rex's specs end up winning him a gold star -- AND a new friend! Even better, he can SEE properly!

A riotous
Hardcover, First Edition, 32 pages
Published August 14th 2014 by Bloomsbury Children's

To ask other readers questions about Specs for Rex, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Specs for Rex

Start your review of Specs for Rex
Bionic Jean
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Specs For Rex is a cute picture book for very young children all about maybe being a bit different and wearing glasses. It's a good story. "Rex" has new glasses. They're big and obvious, and he dislikes them intensely. He tries to get rid of them, and hides them all over the place. In the course of doing so though, he finds something that was lost, is rewarded with a gold star, and is surprised to find that he can see a lot better as well.

Lots of positive messages here - familiar situations, wit
Pooja
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Every child deserves a big best hug.

When you hate something about your appearance, it becomes hard to deal with.

But please, be kind on yourself.
Nancy Kotkin
Story: 4 stars
Illustrations: 4 stars

A little lion feels uncomfortable wearing his new glasses, so he tries various ways to hide them. The story is predictable, but I think many children will relate to Rex's dilemma. As someone who started wearing glasses when I was six years old, I had the same feelings as Rex and reacted in the same ways, at least at first. The art style is bold and child-like. A few of the spreads are so busy and colorful that it is hard to find the focal point in those illust
Danielle
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Yasmeen Ismail has such great style!!!!!!!!!
Edward Sullivan
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Little lion is embarrassed about wearing his new glasses to school. Appealing and relatable.
Morgan Renouf
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book shows that being different doesn't mean you're not as great as everyone else. Rex is afraid to wear his glasses at first. Although he does everything he can to hide his new red specs, he eventually realizes that they are essential to his success. The first day he wears them, he makes tons of friends and gets a gold star at school. The message in this story is that it is okay to be different, that is what makes us who we are. The illustrations show that every classmate is a little diffe ...more
Kaitlyn Day
Oct 07, 2019 added it
Shelves: books-1-20
Summary: Rex gets new specs, but Rex doesn't necessarily like his new glasses, they were way too big and way too round. Rex tries all day to hide his glasses, but his dad, his friends, and the teacher find them. Will Rex start to enjoy his glasses or continue to dislike them?

Evaluation: This book is very realistic. A lot of children feel embarrassed when they get new glasses or braces or anything that changes their "normal"look. Therefore, I really like this book because it is very relatable.

Te
Nicole
copyright: 2001
genre: realistic fiction
themes: embarrassment, school
My favorite part of this book was how they took a problem a child may relate to and show them how to solve it or rather embrace what makes them different.
I would use this book to show kids that we all have things that make us different and that there is no reason to embarrassed about it.
Garrett
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: story-time
Was not entirely sure what the message was supposed to be here: If you hate something about yourself and try to cover it up, you might get rewarded?

Maybe I'm just reading too much into because of my own past with wanting glasses, getting glasses, and then not wanting glasses.
Caleigh Lovitt
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a really cute book about Rex who has to get big, red glasses and all he wants to do is get rid of them. However, in the end he uses them to find a lost gold star for his teacher, and he learns to like his glasses.
Donna Mork
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rex doesn't like his new specs and tries to hide them until he finds out how helpful they really are.
XZ
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I read it in Chinese :D
Yay :D
Viviane Elbee
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Funny book for kids who are worried about wearing glasses & fans of animal characters. ...more
Peacegal
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Some of us (like me) need glasses to see. Rex learns to be proud, not ashamed, of his glasses.
Ivory
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
A book about accepting yourself, being insecure, and wearing glasses. I loved the story of fear of what others will think. Along with being insecure. A good read aloud.
Copyright: 2014
Kara
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I love everything about Rex -- his wild mane, the way he tries to stuff his new specs into the cereal box, and all of his other antics as he copes with this unwanted accessory.
This book marvelously captures the emotions and behaviors of a child in a preschool classroom. As a writer I typically pay more attention to the words in a picture book, but this one had me paging back through multiples times just to delight in the images. Between this and "One Word from Sophia," Yasmeen Ismail is quickly
Regina L
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Rex got a pair of big, round, red new specs and he does not like them! He spends most of the day trying to figure out how to hide them, whether in a cereal box, under his hair, or in a jelly sandwich. But when he tries to hide his whole self in a wastepaper basket he finds his teacher’s missing whistle and the tables begin to turn! “Those new glasses of yours must be working!” the teacher says to Rex. From then on, the more Rex tries to hide his specs, the more charming his classmates find him t ...more
paula
So much dash and energy in this book! Little lion Rex goes to school and schemes various ways to hide his new glasses - there you go. But what's mega-marvelous here is Ms. Ismail's relaxed, Raschka-esque art.

Paint goes on in loose gestural lines with lots of gloppy texture. Exuberant colors boomerang around the page, the green of an overturned fern echoed in a toppled chair. Transparent watercolors allow for depth and imply movement - we can see into drawers and through objects, as though the f
Jennifer Strong
Aug 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, children-s
Rex just got new glasses. They are big and round and red. Rex doesn't like them much. All day he tries to hide them from the other kids at school. While he's hiding in a waste basket he finds his teacher's whistle! She'd been looking for it all day. She gives him a gold star and tells him his new glasses must be working. Another student compliments Rex on his new specs. By the time his mom picks him up, Rex is proud to wear his new red glasses.

Change can make kids self-conscious; a new haircut,
Angela Groves
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderfully illustrated picture book about a little boy who hates his glasses, and lets face it, who does like wearing glasses? I liked this so much more than 'Time for Bed Fred'. The story has a great lesson in it. Don't be ashamed of your glasses, they're great! Which is a lovely ego boost for a child whose just received their first pair. I also think it normalises glasses for those kids who don't wear them, and hope it would help them think twice about saying nasty things, because l ...more
marvellings

Cute little story about a lion named Rex who doesn't like his new glasses, and the silly things he does to avoid wearing them. The real gold star goes to Yasmeen Ismail's incredibly lively and vibrant artwork, which make this book an absolute pleasure to read.

Becky
Dec 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Rex is not a fan of his new specs, so he sets about trying to rid himself of them in some creative ways. But when he makes a helpful discovery, Rex realizes his specs might not be as bad as he thought.

A cute story that might be helpful in convincing our young near- and far-sighted friends to wear their glasses. The illustration style reminds me a little of Chris Raschka.

Angie Quantrell
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very cute story about a young lion who has to wear specs. Bright red round ones. He goes to school with many attempts at hiding and getting rid of his specs. But at the end of the day, he is rewarded by using his specs to find a missing item. Readers needing glasses will enjoy this book. So will their friends.
Michelle Clement
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
As a teenager who suddenly had to wear glasses, I get it, Rex! I love the ultimate message of being comfortable with who you are once these necessities become a part of you, but this speaks to every kid who had an awkward phase, ever. And the illustration style is so soft and delightful and funny-cute, too!
Aymin Silva
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I can relate to Rex not liking that he has to wear new glasses to when I first got mine in primary school. The books is useful confronting how children may feel like the odd one out when they have to wear glasses, although this could be applied to other things like a hearing aid perhaps. It could also help others empathise with how the child may be feeling.
Claudia
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. I chose this because I was attacted to Ismail's style of illustration. But the story is very well constructed too. A great book for a child who has to start wearing glasses or anyone that loves picture books like me!
Lynn
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I want a pair of red specs just like Rex's! Fun story about a young lion who does NOT like his new glasses but finally sees ;-) them in a different light. Ismail's illustrations are terrific - bright, busy and full of fun.
Melissa Rochelle
An parent who had glasses as a kid will appreciate this one and any kiddo who has to wear their new glasses for the first time will understand Rex' feelings. I love the colorful, clever, funny illustrations. Definitely a cute one.
Rachel
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children, 2015
Although the artwork is vibrant, Ismail's illustrations are quite busy and make it difficult to focus the protagonist & his specs. While the problem is one that is easy to relate to, the resolution is unrealistic. Not recommended. ...more
Jasmine
Rex hates his glasses and tries to hide them in the garbage, his sandwich, his hair, but he learns to love them when other people compliment them. He'll stand out, but in a good way! Cute, but not really engaging with ideas beyond "other people won't hate your glasses, it'll be okay".

• Poor Little Guy
  • When Sadness Is at Your Door
  • Wait
  • One Good Thing about America
  • The World Is Not a Rectangle: A Portrait of Architect Zaha Hadid
Irish-born, Bristol-based Yasmeen Ismail is an award-winning author, illustrator and animator. Yasmeen studied at art school in her hometown, Dublin and graduated in 2002. After Yasmeen moved to London she lent her talents to many different projects ranging from advertising to children's publishing.

After moving to London and running a successful animation production company and having worked in v

News & Interviews