Start by marking “Storm” as Want to Read:
Storm

Storm

A storm is brewing at a London Dinner party. When Tim meets the mysterious fifth guest at the table, small talk descends into a battle between science and belief.

Audiences around the world have been wowed by the lyrical wonders of Storm in its viral smash-hit animation form. Now fully reimagined with original artwork, this sparkling ode to scepticism by multi-award-winning
Published November 18th 2014 by Orion (first published October 1st 2014)

Sarah Churchill
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very Tim Minchin-esque rant aimed at a 'hippy' named Storm who argues alternative medicine and auras while Tim shoots her down with logic and wit. No doubt some people out there will be offended by this, but if you're the type of person who's offended by Tim Minchin's many intelligent, humorous rhymes then you probably shouldn't bother picking it up in the first place.

I'm a fan, just in case that wasn't clear.
Melki
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you've ever had to spend time with someone who:

- spouts platitudes that fly in the face of logic and refuses to see reason even when irrefutable scientific evidence swarms around the room like a cloud of angry bees.

- concludes every argument with "Because it's God's will" or "Because God designed it that way."

- insists that suffering through a seriously infectious disease is safer than getting a vaccine because some bimbo who once posed naked sitting on a toilet says it's so.

BUT, for the sake
Sam Quixote
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This comedian Tim Minchin
Wrote a poem most bitchin’
Of a dinner party that went down the crapper

When he met a young hippy named Storm
Whose beliefs he battled all evening long
The two rhyming as they argued like a pair of battlin’ rappers

Storm believed in horoscopes and holistic medicine
To the exclusion of science, knowledge and wisdom
Why learn? Why educate?
Why not just love and feel stuff, she pontificates

While Minchin kept schtum out of politeness
Though he couldn’t
Keep quiet for long, in the fa
Nina
Read this one in something like ten minutes while I was at Foyles in Charing Cross - which has everything, btw, but, you know, gotta watch that wallet, and I really didn't feel like shelling out thirteen pounds for what is basically a pamphlet.
Which, it turns out, was a wise decision.

It's nice, it's really nice - very musical and clever, and I love the dark colours and expressive faces, but I expected something a bit deeper and more complex. I reckon most of the people who'll read this already h
Elizabeth
I'd love to say this should be required reading for anyone who's ever argued against or refused the MMR vaccine. But I think that is exactly the person who wouldn't be convinced by this fabulous rant.

I particularly loved the "Isn't this enough" section - isn't this mysterious, complex universe amazing enough without adding in the supernatural? I'm not sure I agree with it, as a reader and writer of fantasy myself and therefore guilty of illogical thought - and as a folklorist I still love the id
Dani C
Oct 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have the signed limited edition slipcased hardback of this book, so not sure if it has extras that the paperback doesn't have. But it's a truly beautiful looking, interesting and thought-provoking poem, and the rest of the book (introduction, afterwards and bits and pieces about how the animation and this graphic novel were made) is a real bonus that gives the poem that extra special something. All in all, this graphic novel is really worth the money and I will be showing it to everyone who co ...more
Charlotte Jones
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have been waiting for this book for so long! I have seen the animated version of 'Storm' numerous times and love the message and the wit. This book is a perfect adaptation of that short animation.

This book has the poem 'Storm' illustrated in a beautiful graphic novel full-colour style as well as an introduction by Neil Gaiman, interviews with the creators and also sketchbook images of the making of the book and animation. I own the Limited Edition signed copy (number 588 if you're interested!)
Pamela ✨I Blame Wizards✨
It's hard to give this anything less than five stars, because Tim Minchin's Beat poem Storm is a five star work of comedic literature.

I saw Tim perform Storm live, and it was one of the greatest things I've ever seen on stage. The animated movie which can be viewed free on Youtube was a perfect companion to it with stunning animation, and this graphic novel adaptation is yet another worthy companion. It shares its art style with the animation, but has its own design perfectly developed for the
Lola Et La Vie
The beat poem called Storm, by comedian Tim Minchin, has long been one of my favourite bits of comedy. I have seen Tim perform it and I have watched the animated movie. I love the way it flows and the sentiments it purveys.

Now, I have finally read the comic book as well and it just made me feel so happy! I could hear Tim’s voice reciting it in my mind and I know I could never seperate it from the performance. I will treasure this comic book forever!

I am not sure how it would feel to someone who
Lisa
Tim Minchin's Storm is the response I wish I could give whenever anyone around me starts banging on about homeopathy, psychics, auras, or worrying about when The Rapture is due to start, instead of the oh-so-mature eye-rolling and proclamations of 'Yeah, well Gandalf says...' that I usually tend to indulge in.

A brilliant beat-style ode to critical thinking that works just as well in graphic novel form as it does when performed, with the wonderful illustrations flowing as well as the words and un
Martin Livings
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Storm is my favourite Tim Minchin piece, who is in turn my favourite comedian. When I have the time, usually once a day, I recite the whole thing from memory. So having this ten minute beat poem about rationalism in the face of stout opposition as a book was an essential purchase for me. And the book is simply gorgeous. I plumped for the hardcover limited signed edition, because hey, why not? This is less picture book than objet d'art, and I intend to treat and keep it as such. Recommended for a ...more
Maxine
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Have always loved Tim Minchin, and still do. I had issues with the fictional protagonist feeling it's okay to yell at the only unaccompanied woman - a new arrival in the country - at a party, goading her about the 'tattoos on her titties' or about 'etching words into his cock'. And all just because she's a (albeit VERY annoying and deluded) garden variety hippy? The characterisation of Storm was sharp and amusing, and the writing was good. Some of the illustrations (the zoom-outs of the universe ...more
Dianne Hamilton
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Obviously I have been living under a rock for the last four years as I only stumbled across Storm in my local library and until reading it, I had never seen the YouTube video!
This is awesome and I so wish that I could come up with arguments like these when faced with someone who tries to convince me on the various shortfalls and evils of science rather than bumbling like an idiot like I usually do!
Jane Branson
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A man meets a woman at a dinner party in North London; they don't agree on anything. Sharp, witty, pertinent and passionate, this is an ode to rational thought written by the awesome Tim Minchin. Graphic novels are not usually my thing, though even I can see how the illustrative style enhances the message here. Do not read if the written swearword will offend.
Daniel Taylor
I think I'm into Tim Minchin a lot more than I've made time for. His rational approach to life, captured in this graphic novel where the scientific character Tim intellectually tussles with the belief-fuelled character Storm, is a call to live based in reality. The YouTube video of the book (search for "Storm The Movie) is worth watching.
Eve Dangerfield
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I adored this graphic novel version of Tim Minchin's amazing beat poem Storm. I would reccomend for anyone, particually anyone a little too invested in the 'woo woo' side of life. Beautiful and spectacularly drawn.
David
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, everyone should read this. Rationalists will love it, fans of homeopathy and astrology will hate it.
Jo
This is a graphic novelisation of Minchin's beat poem. I'm not overly keen on graphic novels but I adore Tim Minchin and that's why I picked this up from the library and why I give it 3 stars.
Gabrielle
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great poem and the novelisation of the illustrated video suits it to a tee. Wonderful introduction. Good.
Allie
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Tim Minchin!

'Nough said.
Kim

First there was the song, then there was the short animated film, this is the graphic novel!

In the quest to find uplifting graphic novels and because Tim Minchin is a top person, when I saw this.......just had to borrow it from the local library.
I'm a bit of a Tim fan, but obviously not as committed as I could be.
This had been completely off my radar....and it's brilliant!

If I believed in the holy grail, this could just be it......... for uplifting (totally brilliant) graphic novels and it te
Keen
Sep 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

3.5 Stars!

I am a huge fan of Tim Minchin, and I came across this graphic novel by accident. We get an interesting background to the story and what inspired this idea in Minchin’s introduction, which sets it up nicely.

Most of us have encountered our own Storm or manifestations of her, you may even be one yourself?...But Minchin’s spiky and incisive tune/rant hits on many excellent points, without labouring them or making it dull. The art work is not a style I am usually drawn to, but it works rea
_kirsebaer_
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A solid 5 stars :-)
Thanks to my lovely and amazing husband I recieved the book version of Tim Minnchins beat poem as a birthday gift.
You just can't prevent hearing Tim's voice while reading the edition.
A wonderful addition to the animated movie version.
everybody should read and see this work.
BookmarksandBookshelves
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
This was great. Watched the anination on Youtube first, as by reading the introduction I learned it was produced first. The read the graphic novel while listening to Tim Minchin read aloud to me. Then read AGAIN (!) so that i could enjoy the art at a slower pace.

Enjoyed all versions, and that the art in the graphic novel was so different from the movie. Wonderful.
Beth
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
The artwork is great and I agree with the message but I disagree with how it's being presented. Yelling at someone and being rude to them won't change their mind and as he even says at much at the end.
Louisa Keron
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
On its own, it's an ok comic. It's literally a rant about people who reject science with bold drawings. The fact that it could have been created because someone pissed Tim Michin off at a dinner party makes me have to give it an extra star.
Chloe (QuothTheBookLover)
I liked the art style and I already loved Tim Minchin and this song so it was fun to read!
Karen
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superb, deserves more than 5 stars - the animated version can be seen here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhGuX...
Itch Iseatingnandos
Brilliant, hilarious, inspiring and relatable
Star
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this signed copy off Facebook and it’s beautiful.
The artwork is just phenomenal as is Tim’s poem.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Seduction of the Innocent: The Influence of Comic Books on Today's Youth
  • Works of Alexander Pope
  • How to Be Perfect
  • Bone: Coda
  • A Fall of Stardust
  • Simon's Cat in Kitten Chaos (Simon's Cat, #3)
  • Adventure Time Vol. 6
  • Special
  • Where Song Began: Australia's Birds and How They Changed the World
  • Lamia
  • Greenpeace Captain: My Adventures in Protecting the Future of Our Planet
  • Azzi in Between
  • Of Street Piemen
  • Howard the Duck Omnibus
  • Heroes & Monsters: The Unofficial Companion to the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (The Unofficial Companion to the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, #1)
  • Yuge!: 30 Years of Doonesbury on Trump
  • The Power Of Hope
  • Awkward Moments (Not Found in Your Average) Children's Bible - Volume #1: Illustrating the Bible Like You've Never Seen Before!
Timothy David "Tim" Minchin (born 7 October 1975 in Northampton, England) is an Australian-British comedian, actor, and musician.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Minchin