Start by marking “Again Calls the Owl” as Want to Read:
Again Calls the Owl

Again Calls the Owl

AGAIN CALLS THE OWL carries readers back to the beginning of the 20th century when Margaret Craven - one of a handful of women at Stanford and a groundbreaking woman journalist - made the audacious decision not only to work for a living, but to work as a writer. "Deceptively simple in style, stunning in its implication, this gem of an autobiography, Again Calls the Owl, ca ...more
Published December 1st 1983 by Dell (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Again Calls the Owl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Again Calls the Owl

Lenora Good
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read I Heard the Owl Call My Name when it came out and loved it. I read it in one sitting. Then I read her second novel, Walk Gently This Good Earth. I loved them both, and have read them more than once. With great delight, I recently discovered Again Calls the Owl, and read it shortly after it arrived.

This is a collection of autobiographical vignettes about Ms. Craven's life, from childhood to student at Stanford to how she became a writer, and then the writer of I Heard the Owl Call My Name.
Patsy Parker
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I have read by Margaret Craven. I had never heard of her before. I stumbled onto this little gem as I was browsing at a used books store.

She gives us a glimpse into her own life as a writer. She writes with great humor and inserts sudden jolts of sad things she experienced in between the humorous.

I read this in two short sittings because of time constraints the first day. Otherwise I would have finished it in one sitting.

I never cried, but she sure had me laughing at the
Laura N.
Feb 22, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the autobiography of Margaret Craven, the author of one of my favorite books -- "I Heard the Owl Call My Name." I enjoyed reading about her life as a writer during the Depression and in post-WWII America. I also enjoyed reading about her travel to Kingcome, and the process of writing the novel. It's a short, inspirational read that I'd recommend to fans of her work.
Michael Delaware
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoirs
A memoir of Margaret Craven, and her break into journalism and professional story writing at a time when it was a place few women had ventured. She also describes the events and circumstances in her life which led her to research and write the famous bestselling book "I Heard the Owl Call My Name".
Courtenay
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a marvelous person is Margaret Craven! It was a joyful experience reading this book about her life & her writings. I read I HEARD THE OWL CALL MY NAME (second time) while I was reading this story, it was revealing.
Persephone Abbott
Dec 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Long ago I read Margaret Craven's famous novel and, as a teenager, was enthralled. It's just now I wonder if the censorship or otherwise said simplistic style of her writing would make it into literature other than young adult. She's a good writer and her tact is most admirable.
Rachel
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Super short with beautiful drawings/sketches and just a sweet story of Margaret Craven's life in sound bytes.

It's lovely to read how much her experiences and travel into Canada were the story of "I heard the Owl Call My Name".

Definitely worth reading as a follow-up/extension of her first novel.
Ruth
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a free book on the Friends of the Libary cart and I first thought it was a children's book. Wrong, but it is a quick read about life of a woman reporter for the Saturday Evening Post.
Randa D'aoust
By the author of I Heard the Owl Call My Name, this slim book is a collection of essays and reflections about her life of writing and the research that went into it.
Rita
Oct 09, 2012 rated it liked it
1980
Hard to improve on the goodreads blurb here:

"Deceptively simple in style, stunning in its implication, this gem of an autobiography, Again Calls the Owl, carries readers back to the beginning of the century when Margaret Craven - one of a handful of women at Stanford and a groundbreaking woman journalist - made the audacious decision not only to work for a living, but to work as a writer."

Whether her character, personality, behavior were really as she describes them, doesn't maybe matter; it
Susan
Simply told, “Again Calls The Owl” is the memoir of author Margaret Cravens (1901-1980) who had a career as a short story writer. She wrote her best selling novel “I Heard The Owl Call My Name” when she was 69. I read that book back in the ’70’s when it was popular and that is why I was drawn to this book. I found it interesting because I like hearing women’s stories, especially women who lived in a different era and had to deal with a man’s world. The book is only 120 pages and can easily be re ...more
Georgene
A quick read of a memoir by the author of "I Heard the Owl Call My Name".

An interesting story of a woman who decided to go her own path in the early part of the 20th Century by becoming a writer. Working mostly in newspapers and later writing short stories for magazines, Margaret Craven eventually penned the lovely, lyrical novel for which she is known.

While more of a stream-of-consciousness style of writing, this book has its interesting points.
Casey Hampton
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ographies, 5-star
I found this wonderfully engaging. There are no unnecessary words in Craven's autobiography and it reads as rich and deep as the night sky full of stars. Several places caused me to laugh and more than one place made me cry. I think if you feel a connection to her I Heard the Owl Call My Name, you will be quite happy to read this.
Carolyn
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: incredible
What a gentle book and a nice inspiration to writers. Oh the pains of that first job at a news paper. Then just as the switch to a better life is about to take place she gets cataracts. However she makes it through the surgery and into her job at the Saturday evening post. I loved it what a fast, but great read for a day off.
Andrea Robinson
A nice little book.
Diana S
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
I give this book 2.5 stars**.
Susan
Nov 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
I like memoirs and biographies.
Don Gubler
Oct 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Pales in comparison to I Heard the Owl Call My Name.
Evie