Start by marking “A Competent Witness: Georgiana Yoke and the Trial of H. H. Holmes” as Want to Read:
A Competent Witness: Georgiana Yoke and the Trial of H. H. Holmes

A Competent Witness: Georgiana Yoke and the Trial of H. H. Holmes

All the young men at the Siegel Cooper department store admire Georgiana Yoke, the charming new clerk just arrived in Chicago ahead of the 1893 World's Fair. They wager it won't take long for some lucky fellow to lure her away from her job, and they're right. After a brief and heady courtship, she marries a charismatic, wealthy entrepreneur. A happy ending, but for one cat ...more
Published July 23rd 2014 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about A Competent Witness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Competent Witness

Jill
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Since this is fiction, fleshed around known facts, I can't say it added much to Holmes/Mudgett's story. I'm not sure how believable Georgiana's ignorance would be to someone who hasn't experienced being conned. Since I have unfortunately been through that horror of deception myself, I did identify with her. The author appears to have that insight as well when she depicts Georgiana quoting the lines from "Paradise Lost": "His words replete with guile/Into her heart too easy entrance won."
DTom
May 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
This one really dragged on and on. I read it after the Devil in the White City to find out more about the woman who married the killer, Holmes but I had to put the book down several times because it was boring and when I did pick it up, I skipped chapters. I would not be inclined to recommend it to others.
Matthew Jankiewicz
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A unique perspective told from the point of view of H.H. Holme's third wife, Georgiana Yoke. The author's thorough research is evident in the details of her descriptions from life on the Yoke farm to the handkerchiefs and other goods sold at the department store. I especially enjoyed the ending of the book, which beautifully captures the aftermath of Georgiana's ordeal in the courtroom.
Lynne
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good book! I love that I read several nonfiction books on HH Holmes before reading this one. Great to read a different perspective from a different point of view. Good read if you like the story of H H Holmes!
Elizabeth
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic story. Loved it!!
Rebecca
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Although much of it is fictionalized, it is based on true people and events and makes an interesting companion to "The Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson.
Linda Marie Marsh
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Most everyone has heard of the Worlds Fair being held in Chicago in the late 1800's. A lot of peple are aware of H.H. Holmes, the madman murderer who built a hotel TO lure young women and torture them during their stay in the city. FEW if any have heard of his wife Georiana. This book is written thru HER eyes....another victim perhaps? or did she turn a blind eye? WAS she so totally naive or was she a part of his whole sick world?

I know what i believe after having read A Competent Witness. Read
Georgiann Baldino
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Readers who remember Devil in the White City will want to read this follow-up story about the young woman the serial murderer took as his wife. Like all the other victims, Georgiana was duped by a brilliant, but depraved man. According to Ms. Nickels, Georgiana was treated well and placed on a Victorian pedestal, so much so that she did not heed any of the warning signs, and that part of the story is well told. As a reader of historical novels and nonfiction, I was interested in her story. I wan ...more
David
Apr 30, 2015 rated it liked it
I loved Devil in the White City and I was intrigued by the connection to Johnson County. H.H. Holmes last wife was from Edinburgh and her family lived in Franklin, so there were a lot of familiar sites in the book. I liked seeing the story from her perspective. It was eerie to see how easy it was for him to pull the wool over her eyes to what a monster he was. I would have liked to have seen a bit more evidence of the author's historic research in the book.
Carol
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I saw a lot of myself in the main character, who wants to believe the best in people. The book was a quick read, and I enjoyed the twists of the plot, the setting (Chicago during the World Fair), and the character development.
Pimpam
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Exciting story of young woman's travails dealing with city life and a charismatic con man. Not necessary to read Devil In The White City to understand this. Enjoyed the book.
Maren
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! I read about HH Holmes before reading this book, and liked the perspective of his wife. Great read!
Jacquelyne
Oct 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jacquelyne by: Noel Kirsch knows author reading for book club
What an enjoyable historical read. I could truly identify with the plight of the duped main character. My interest was piqued throughout and I loved the ending, wrapping up loose ends.
Lisa
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable historical read! If you have read Devil In The White City, this book follows the evil trail of H.H.Holmes from his wife's perspective.
Linda Haas
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is written as a novel even though it is nonfiction. Knowing the outcome did not take away the suspense. I would recommend this book.
Meredith Nickels
Feb 18, 2016
Anne Simpson
May 13, 2017
BkLvr36
rated it did not like it
Apr 13, 2018