Start by marking “Lidia's Italy” as Want to Read:
Lidia's Italy

Lidia's Italy

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  587 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
In this exciting new book the incomparable Lidia takes us on a gastronomic journey—from Piemonte to Puglia—exploring ten different regions that have informed her cooking and helped to make her the fabulous cook that she is today. In addition, her daughter Tanya, an art historian, guides us to some of the nearby cultural treasures that enrich the pursuit of good food.

· In I
Published April 10th 2007 by Knopf Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Lidia's Italy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lidia's Italy

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensThe New Best Recipe by Cook's Illustrated Magazine
Best Cookbooks
1,125 books — 1,053 voters
Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella HazanThe Silver Spoon by Clelia D'OnofrioThe Splendid Table by Lynne Rossetto KasperItalian Kitchen by Kate WhitemanThe Classic Italian Cook Book by Marcella Hazan
Best Italian Cookbooks
99 books — 39 voters

More lists with this book...

Meagan
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I love Lidia, but this book was a bit of letdown for me. It didn't feature enough of her popular recipes that I was hoping to find.
Glennis
Jul 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, food
I really like the way she's broken the recipes into regions. It makes it easier to study and cook a particular region of Italy...which is as varied as France and America!
Amanda
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
I so want to love this book. I really want to cook out of it, and go "yum!" like the rest of the reviews that have been written. I can't. My big gripe with the book is the way it it organized. I like to have all of my meats, sides, and desserts in their own separate sections. This is a personal thing, but I don't like regional layouts. Next, the ingredients are often unavailable in my area, or very expensive in my area. I'm landlocked, so I don't have easy access to fresh fish at any time of the ...more
Mary Louise Sanchez
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
Chef Lidia Bastianich shares some recipes and personal stories from ten regions of Italy. Her daughter then relates cultural aspects of these regions.

I enjoyed knowing more about the mother, daughter duo through their stories, and have some good ideas of places to visit and what to eat in these regions of Italy. The recipes look simple enough for a home cook to replicate, and the pictures of the food are a feast for the eyes.

Angie (Mind Malfunction)
Lidia Matticchio Bastianich is an Italian icon. Her cookbook is filled with authentic recipes that are not for the first timer. I would have liked more pictures of the food. The more photos, the better to inspire the at-home cook to try them out. If you're looking for advanced Italian recipes than this is the book for you.
todd
May 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Organized by region, so a bit harder to select just the right entree or dessert than Lidia's Family Table. The recipes are every bit as enjoyable. Another winner, though I liked the family pictures in the first book more than the travelogue shots here.
Caroline
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've been working my way through the recipes in this book, which I received as a gift in the fall. All of the dishes I've made so far have been delicious. There's a good mix of simple/challenging recipes, and the instructions are very clear. I recommend!
Katie
May 19, 2008 rated it liked it
I made the beef goulash recipe from this book, and it was excellent. I didn't care to make any of the other recipes, which is why it only got 3 stars.
Lori Pollitt
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love reading cook books and this one doesn't disappoint! Great recipes and even better tales about the food and where it originated!!
Lauren
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this cookbook, there are recipes I look forward to making.
Carl Adams
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
recipes work as well as always.
Linda Seltenright
I love cook books and I love to cook...thank you Lori, I'll let you know what I cooked and how it came out.
Marilyn
Sep 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
Lidia needs to include more pictures of the food and less pictures of the locations. To me, a cookbook is nothing without pictures--no matter how good the recipes are.
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There's so much more than just recipes in Lidia's books. In this book I've been learning all about the different regions of Italy while learning to cook their food. It's great!!
Burley
Jul 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book and the recipes are an absolute masterpiece. I love Italian food and this and Marcella Hazen's book are the only ones you need.
Erika
Apr 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book needs to go on my kitchen shelf. Sort of a mix between a travel book and a cookbook - glowing descriptions and wonderful food.
Feb 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Really amazing cook book! I still have so many recipes I want to try
Anne Torres
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Go-to book.
Emily
Aug 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Yum. This is the cookbook I've been cooking out of most, recently.
Lori
May 24, 2008 added it
I have marked plenty of recipies to try out... first up: homemade gnocchi and sandy cake. YUM!
Sarah Moden-alliston
  • Louisiana Real and Rustic
  • The Glorious Pasta of Italy
  • Marcella's Italian Kitchen
  • Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home
  • Martha Stewart's Dinner at Home: 52 Quick Meals to Cook for Family and Friends
  • Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen
  • Cooking
  • Bon Appetit, Y'all: Recipes and Stories from Three Generations of Southern Cooking
  • Extra Virgin: Recipes & Love from Our Tuscan Kitchen
  • Mark Bittman's Quick and Easy Recipes from the New York Times
  • Gourmet Today: More than 1000 All-New Recipes for the Contemporary Kitchen
  • Rachael Ray: Just in Time: All-New 30-Minutes Meals, plus Super-Fast 15-Minute Meals and Slow It Down 60-Minute Meals
  • The Italian Baker
  • Bobby Flay's Grill It!
  • Chez Panisse Menu Cookbook
Lidia Matticchio Bastianich is an American chef, businesswoman and restaurateur.

Specializing in Italian and Croatian cuisine, she has been a regular contributor to the PBS cooking show lineup since 1998. In 2007, she launched her third TV series, Lidia's Italy. She also owns four Italian restaurants in the U.S. in partnership with her son, the winemaster and restaurateur, Joseph Bastianich: Felidi
More about Lidia Matticchio Bastianich

$10.74 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99