Start by marking “Kittens Can Kill (Pru Marlowe, #5)” as Want to Read:
Kittens Can Kill (Pru Marlowe, #5)

Kittens Can Kill (Pru Marlowe #5)

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  110 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
The dead don t keep pets. So when animal behaviorist expert Pru Marlowe gets a call about a kitten, she doesn t expect to find the cuddly creature playing beside the cooling body of prominent Beauville lawyer David Canaday. Heart attack? His three adult daughters angrily blame drug interactions, feline allergies and each other. And begin to feud over their father, his cons ...more
Hardcover
Published March 3rd 2015 by Poisoned Pen Press

To ask other readers questions about Kittens Can Kill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kittens Can Kill

Betty
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books
Pru is called to take a kitten for a wellness check. Arriving she find a well known lawyer dead and the kitten playing with a button. Not wanting to leave the liken alone she takes it to Wallis who was not thrilled. The kitten suffers a compulsion and Pru is worried about it. Wallis tells her he okay. The lawyer's 3 daughters are feuding over their father's death. The County hospital is in financial difficulties and close. Pru needs,to find answers to these questions. I so enjoy my visits with W ...more
Bookschatter
Dec 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, reviewed
Prior to even considering reading this book, ask yourself this question: "Can you cope with a jaded and nosy woman narrator who can talk to animals Dr Dolittle style and sense their traumas and presence á la "Sixth Sense"?

If the answer is no, as you think that is an absolutely ridiculous and annoying concept, you should really give this one a miss.

Also, if you are looking for a cosy novel, this isn't it.

Pru Marlowe is a typical noir character: she has baggage, bad habits and often a bad attitude
Veronica
I am always a sucker for murder mysteries involving animals. Think Lilian Jackson Braun and Rita Mae Brown for example. So I was intrigued and delighted when I read the description of this novel. What could be better than a murder mystery involving animals and people who are able to actually communicate with them? I found the book to be a fun and easy read. I would love to see more banter between the animals and their human though :) I received this book for free from Netgalley in exchange for a ...more
Dianne
Feb 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: galleys-arcs
This was an interesting book that could be called a ‘cozy’ although I would not do so. This is the fifth book in the Pru Marlowe series. While some people could read this as a standalone, I would not suggest you do so. This was the first book I read in this series and found that because I hadn’t read the other four books, I was at a disadvantage.
The concept behind this series is an interesting one, although it has been done before. Pru is an animal behaviorist who can also ‘talk’ to animals and
Carolyn Injoy
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Clea Simon fans, cat lovers
Recommended to Carolyn by: NetGalley
I received a free kindle copy of Kittens Can Kill: A Pru Marlowe Pet Noir by Clea Simon, published by Poisoned Pen Press from NetGalley in exchange for a fair review. I gave it five stars.

This mystery was a pleasant surprise that kept me guessing until the end of the book. The dynamics of a family following a death was clearly delineated. The emotional roller coaster caused by grief was on the spot. The fact that Pru Marlowe has a special gift with animals was a nice touch. Pru's relationship wi
Space Out With Sci Fi in June The Haunted Reading Room
Review: KITTENS CAN KILL by Clea Simon
(A Pru Marlowe Pet Noir)

Pru Marlowe, who lives in a small Berkshires town, hears intuitively and speaks to animals, domestic and wild. She gets by as an unofficial (I. E., not officially trained) animal behaviorist, including dog walking and squirrel control. Pru carries a lot of emotional baggage, which makes her all the more admirable as a protagonist--she admits her imperfections, and does what she can. In this episode, she is hired to supply food and nec
Susan Johnston
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Princess Fuzzypants here to tell you how much I enjoy the Pru Marlowe series. This latest book Kittens Can Kill, is one of the better ones. It starts with a poor little kitty who witnesses a murder. The kitten tries to tell Pru what happened but, as usual, it is not that easy. Pru always needs help from other animals to interpret what the kitten is trying to say. Her most influential assistance is her cat, naturally. I love how Wallis drips with catitude despite an evident fondness for her human ...more
Ann
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pru, an animal behavior expert, is called to collect a kitten playing beside a dead lawyer. His daughters become the chief suspects. Pru can "communicate" with animals and the kitten is giving her some conflicting info about the murder. Pru, along with her boyfriend police chief need to solve the crime before someone else gets hurt. I haven't read any of the previous Pru Marlowe series but this one was entertaining and nicely written. I will long for others in the series.
Marsha Spohn
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
First reviewed at Keeper Bookshelf

Pru hadn’t expected to walk in and find a dead man. No, she was here simply to get a brand new kitten settled in his new home. Finding the kitten next to the body, the very dead body of David Canaday playing with a button was not in the game plan for the day.

And so begins the newest addition to the Pru Marlowe Pet Noir series by Clea Simon. As with any mystery, I need to be very careful as to how much I reveal about the story. I believe you have the basic set up
Victor Gentile
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clea Simon in her new book, “Kittens Can Kill” Book Five in the Pru Marlowe Pet Noir series published by Poisoned Pen Press gives us another adventure with Pru Marlowe.

From the back cover: The dead don’t keep pets.

Lynn Demsky
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all animal lovers
Shelves: mystery
“The dead don’t keep pets. So when animal behaviorist expert Pru Marlowe gets a call about a kitten, she doesn’t expect to find the cuddly creature playing beside the cooling body of prominent Beauville lawyer David Canaday. Heart attack? His three adult daughters angrily blame drug interactions, feline allergies—and each other. And begin to feud over their father, his considerable estate, and that cute ball of fluff. While the cause of death is pending, each sister has an axe to grind—with argu ...more
Robyn
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: cozy mystery lovers, animal lovers
Recommended to Robyn by: Partners in Crime Tours
Pru Marlowe is an animal psychic and behaviorist—she also happens to be an amateur sleuth! Together with her furred and feathered friends, Pru investigates the crimes in her sleep Berkshire town. This time the victim is a prominent lawyer, and the only witness is a small, white kitten.

"Kittens Can Kill" is the fifth book in Clea Simon’s Pet Noir series. I have not yet read the other titles, but still found this book enjoyable. In this one, Pru is hired to help a kitten adjust to his new home. U
Sherry Fundin
Kittens can Kill by Clea Simon is a cozy mystery. The title made me curious and the cover is so sweet, I couldn’t resist it. Do you think a cute little kitty kat could be a killer? Maybe the murderer is not the four legged kind of kitty kat.

Pru Marlowe could be called a critter whisperer. She is able to communicate with animals. She is a loner, unless you count her talking to cats and all the other animals she can converse with, until…

A murder brings a white fluffy ball of fur into her life. I l
Crittermom
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pru Marlowe is an animal behaviorist with a unique gift, the ability to hear the thoughts of animals. While it is a great help in her career, the ability leads her to isolate herself from others. When an assignment leads Pru to discover a dead body next to a young kitten, she is reluctantly drawn into investigating. Unveiling the secrets of the dead lawyer's feuding daughters forces Pru to face aspects of her own past in order to catch a killer.

Pru is not the most likeable protagonist, but she i
Elaine
When Pru goes to check up on a kitten, she finds much more than she'd bargained for! The kitten is playing with a button beside the dead body of the man who was supposed to be its owner. This starts the tale - is is murder or natural causes. The man had three daughters and all seem to take sibling rivalry to the extreme, each seeming to blame the others for his untimely demise. Pru has little option but to investigate further and makes great use of her hidden talent and secret supporter to help ...more
A Holland Reads
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a fun mystery for me. I have not read any of the other books in this series or by this author and I did just fine and did not feel lost. There is murder, mystery, romance and animals all in one place – what more can you ask for in a good book. The characters are very well developed and likeable. It was fun learning a little about each of them as the story went along. One of my favorite things was how Pru could “communicate” with the animals. This brought a little humor to the story. It ...more
CoffeeTimeRomance andMore
Pru is most certainly not the sweet cuddly type. In fact she is about as prickly and standoffish as her four-legged housemate. What is confusing is why she involves herself in a situation that is completely none of her business, except for the well-being of a kitten who nobody wants. I cannot say that I enjoy her attitude or her personality, and really think that less liquor and more laughter would do her and her stories a world of good.
Lototy
Reviewer for Coffee Time Romance & More
Full Revie
Amber Polo
Apr 05, 2015 rated it liked it
This is the first in the series I read. Perhaps that's why I couldn't connect with the flawed character of Pru. There have been several before but Pru doesn't seem to have come very far along in her life. I had no clue how she started hearing animals and if her obsessive interest in alcohol and sex with a police officer is based in her past. Talking and hearing to animals was well done and not over invasive. The mystery was light even for a cozy.
Excalibur Snape
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, bout-books-12-0
This book reminded me a lot of the ghostwhisper the only difference is that the main character talks to animals not ghosts.
This is an adult read and like the last few books I have read it has to do with murder.
There is also sex.
This was an enjoyable read.
It is the sixth book in the series.
I would like to read the other five.
I recommend this book you won't be sorry.
Emilia
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cosy-mystery, mystery
A true treat for cat lovers!! :)
Really good one, interesting plot, vivid characters, and to top it all - the way Pru (the protagonist) can communicate with animals - really puts a spin on everything! :)
Human relationships as well as the owner-pet ones described in a fun (but to the point ) way.
great read!!!!!
Erunyauve
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cat-mysteries
I was rather disappointed with this book. I shelled out the $13 after the scene in which the kitten calls out to his 'mama', but unfortunately, it turned out to be less a book about cats than about a self-obsessed alchoholic in denial. Pru barely interacts with the kitten she is trying to save - she's too busy trying to get money for caring for him, or gossipping about the sisters, or drinking to do the most basic things, like take him to the vet for his shots.

Everyone in the book speaks in non-
Denise
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
When you can talk to animals, I mean really talk with them you life takes turns never before thought of. While this is the 5th book in the series this was a first for me. Pru Marlowe finds herself taking home a little kitten left in the mess of a death. Her life gets all tangled into the death, the family behind it all and of course the animals and a little romance on the side, with the law of the land.

A fun cozy mystery.
Kim Ward
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
The mystery may be a bit loose, but this is a fun romp, especially if you like cats/dogs, etc. The character of Pru is gritty and real, as any detective character should be.
Doris Pearson
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is super. Love she can talk to her cats etc. and all animals.. Super mystery.
Laura Thomas
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pru Marlowe can talk to animals and they can talk to her. Comes in handy as she’s an animal behaviorist. She helps pets and their humans to understand each other.

When lawyer David Canady is found dead, Pru doesn’t buy it that a kitten, the cute little fluff ball, Ernesto, had anything to do with his masters death.

Taking the traumatized kitten home with her, Pru becomes enmeshed in the mystery. Cause of death is pending and everyone is scrambling to cover their butts and cast blame on others.

Killer Nashville
Although the title of this book may seem a bit extreme, “Kittens Can Kill: A Pru Marlowe Pet Noir” is a surprisingly accurate title to this cozy mystery.

The novel follows the protagonist, Pru Marlowe, an animal behaviorist and excellent dog-walker whose most closely guarded secret is also the secret to her success: Pru can communicate with animals of all kinds.

Her introversion and preference for the company of animals allows Pru to skirt around the edges of a crime scene and insinuate herself in
Randee Baty
May 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, mystery
A mystery with talking animals. They seem to be popular these days so every so often I try one. And then remember that I don't like them. I guess I keep trying to see why they appeal to readers but I've yet to see it.

Pru is an animal behaviorist that can hear what animals are saying and talk to them. She's been called in to deal with a kitten that was given to a retired lawyer as a gift and needs to be taken to the vet. When she arrives, the lawyer is dead and the kitten is playing next to him.
Penny Marks
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was the first book I have read by Cleo Simon. I will be reading more of her books after reading this one.
While reading this book you realize that not everything is as it seems. You have Pru who is an animal behaviorist that can actually talk to her clients. It is wild to read and loved it. She is able to carry on a regular conversation with her clients and her wonderful kitty Wallis. She is definitely not your typical cozy protagonist. She is not the bubbly
Carl Brookins
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it

Ever since Freddie the Pig oinked onto the scene solving farm mysteries I’ve been a fan of animal-related crime fiction. In small doses. Here is a very well-written complicated mystery featuring Pru Marlowe. Fifth in this series, author Simon has fashioned another small town intrigue that involves a hefty number of the town’s citizens in fraud, deceit, murder and even shoddy carpentry. It’s a measure of her talent that the author can keep the many elements of the story straight. But she’s writte
Wall-to-wall books - wendy
This was very cute in parts but also a little slow in spots. It ended up being an OK read for me.

There is definitely a learning curve to this book. I do admit this is my first one by this author so I was not prepared for all the animals talking (or at least in Pru's mind they do, I guess, no one else hears them). So that part of the book I loved! But it took me a while to "get it" LOL. And I had a hard time figuring out who was talking - human or animal. Most of the animals have human names, so.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
☀ Kittens Can Kill - Clea Simon [Book giveaway] 1 5 Jun 06, 2015 05:09AM
  • Lady Justice and the Cruise Ship Murders (Lady Justice, #11)
  • Kill and Run (Thorny Rose Mysteries, #1)
  • Redemption (Legends of Graham Mansion, #1)
  • Perfectly Twisted (C.O.R.E. Above the Law, #1)
  • Taking the Fall
  • Open Meetings (Jillian Hillcrest, #2)
  • Shadow of the Oak (A Sal Van Sleen Adventure)
  • Bad Traffick (Leine Basso Thrillers, #2)
  • A Pirate Looks at Forty (Jake Sullivan Series, #4)
  • Time of Death
  • Hair of the Dog (Dan Mahoney Mysteries,#3)
  • The Awakening (Project Eve #1)
  • Nine Lives
  • Lancaster House
  • Money, Family, Murder
  • Cat Telling Tales (Joe Grey, #17)
  • Big Money
  • Body and Bone
Clea Simon is the author of the upcoming "World Enough," a rock 'n' roll noir. Her "As Dark As My Fur," the second Blackie and Care mystery, is just out now, following "The Ninth Life," in the adventures of the pink-haired Care and the black feral cat who loves her. In addition to these darker books, she is also the author of the Dulcie Schwartz feline mysteries, the Pru Marlowe pet noir mysteries ...more
More about Clea Simon

Pru Marlowe (7 books)
  • Dogs Don't Lie (Pru Marlowe, #1)
  • Cats Can't Shoot (Pru Marlowe, #2)
  • Parrots Prove Deadly (Pru Marlowe, #3)
  • Panthers Play for Keeps (Pru Marlowe, #4)
  • When Bunnies Go Bad (Pru Marlowe, #6)
  • Fear on Four Paws (Pru Marlowe #7)