Start by marking “With the Indians in the Rockies” as Want to Read:
With the Indians in the Rockies

With the Indians in the Rockies

Trapped in the Rocky Moutains in winter- will the boys survive? Thomas and his friend Pitamakan, a Blackfoot boy, live at Fort Benton on the western frontier. One day, having ventured into the mountains to trap beaver, Tom and Pitamakan are attacked by a band of Kootenay Indians, who spare their lives, but make off with everything they have. The boys are stranded without h ...more
Published January 1st 2010 by Confluence Press (first published 1913)

To ask other readers questions about With the Indians in the Rockies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With the Indians in the Rockies

Start your review of With the Indians in the Rockies
Dusty
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terry Truffin
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An Adventurous Read Into Days Gone By

James Willard Schultz has such a grasp of his time and the years before that any fan of history and adventure is sure to be entertained. He takes the reader from hopeless happenings to fulfilling frames as he tell this engaging story of two boys, one white one Indian, who suffer hardship after hardship. Their pioneer and Indian learning reward them with their lives. A great read!
Vince Pillig
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!

Scholz does a fine job of writing and telling the stories . I wish there was a little more exclamation of the individuals leading up to their adventures . Captivating keeps your attention .
K Van
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Read!

This book is a "page turner" and provides great insight into the customs and practices and civilization of the Native American people who were swept ahead of the tsunami of the new american immigrants.
Robby Robertson
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining adventure

I devoured these stories as a boy. A lifetime later they still manage to capture me. These adventures will endure with anyone who still dreams of those remarkable times.
Palma Cook
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well written.

You feel like you are there. It was hard to put the book down. Not long and drawn out. I would like to read more from this author.
Carol Holtquist
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Winter

It was very informative and easy to understand what they had to do just to stay alive using their wits
Clint
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you would like more info on wilderness survival, this is a good read.
Sarah B Wilkerson
Great read!

Well worth reading! It is amazing all this man did and survived. The descriptions of the life of the Indian is fascinating!
Gina L. Hort
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Total page turner

Great story read the entire book in two sittings, couldn't put it down.
Filled with many facts intresting to the outdoors lover.
Pat Appel
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exciting

5 star all the way. The entire story kept you on the edge of your seat. A true story of survival. Mind boggling
Susan J. Shirley
Held my attention

I really enjoyed this book. I read it all in one evening. A lot of it was probably not factual but kept me entertained.
Avis Black
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is supposed to be a memoir, but it reads suspiciously like a novel. The author's parents died when he was a boy, and he went to go live with his uncle Wesley, who was a fur trader among the Blackfeet Indians. Schultz's uncle has married a Blackfoot woman, and she has a nephew, Pitamakan, who is about Schultz's own age. Schultz and Pitamakan decide to sneak off to go fur trapping in the territory of other Indians, and it's at this point the trouble starts.

They are caught by the other I
LadyCalico
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The book caught my eye as I was surfing through available selections from my local library ebooks since I love both survival tales and mountain men tales, and this book looked like it contained both. I had never heard of this book or author before and it came as a pleasant surprise to discover how terrific it was; I can surely see why it is considered a classic. It would be a great tale for young readers, but I was thoroughly engrossed even though I am an old lady and appreciated it even more be ...more
Dusty
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A classic that keeps you clung

There was nothing that I disliked about this book. It was such a great read I did not want to put it down. I did not expect the story to captivate me like it did. Definitely a hidden treasure. I would recommend this book to any middle or high school literature instructor because of the writing style and depth of the story. I chose to give 5 stars because With the Indians in the Rockies is a classic long forgotten but captivated me every page of the way. It is hard t
Mel Foster
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: native-americans
A great western adventure story about two boys trapped in the Rockies for the winter and how they use their wits to escape hostile Indians, famine and frost, and other dangers. Readers young and old who enjoy stories of survival and of the western wild will enjoy this book, written as all of Schultz's books are in a very accessible style. This book inspired me as a junior high boy to try hard things. I read it to my own boys not that long ago.
Sharon Bayliss
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting true story!

Wonderful picture of true Indian life on the prairies in the 1800's. True tales, adventures, and misadventures of a white boy and his Indian friend.. A hard to put down patterned. You're always wondering what is going to happen to these very enterprising, smart, hardy boys next.
Judy L
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Winter Spent in the Rockies

I enjoyed this tale of a young Indian and his white brother stranded for a winter in the Rocky Mountains. Their ingenuity and courage to survive was amazing to a “tenderfoot” like me! A wonderful tale!
Stephen D. Shaffer
A shame . Good story poorly presented .

Great story. This author is a good story teller. Poor editing. We all expect more these days. K k k
Aimee Kudrna
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
great adventure story.
Tim Hoving
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book that is worth reading
Kathy Evenson
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating story of ingenuity, courage and resourcefulness.

Whether fact or fiction, a great tale of survival against all odds. Set in the time before the settlers headed West.
Donald Gelinas
Oct 31, 2016
joseph harper
Sep 25, 2019
Nancy Enders
rated it did not like it
Apr 23, 2020
Dec 07, 2014
diane zarella
Mar 09, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Jim Bridger "The Grand Old Man of the Rockies" (1922)
  • My Sixty Years on the Plains: Trapping, Trading, and Indian Fighting
  • Kit Carson's Autobiography
  • The Trader: West To The Stony Mountains (The Tale of the Trader Book 1)
  • The Adventures of Big-Foot Wallace: The Texas Ranger and Hunter
  • Crazy-White-Man
  • Some True Adventures in the Life of Hugh Glass, a Hunter and Trapper on the Missouri River (1857)
  • Nash Cline: A Western
  • Four Years in the Rockies -- the Adventures of Isaac P. Rose--Hunter and Trapper in that Remote Region (1884)
  • Nine Years Among the Indians, 1870-1879: The Story of the Captivity and Life of a Texan Among the Indians
  • Left by the Indians
  • The Personal Narrative of James O. Pattie of Kentucky
  • Two Feathers (Native Warrior Series)
  • Will Scott
  • Wild life in the Far West; Personal Adventures of a Border Mountain Man (1872)
  • My Life Among the Indians
  • Forty Years a Fur Trader on the Upper Missouri
  • The Indian War of 1864
James Willard Schultz, or Apikuni, (born August 26, 1859, died June 11, 1947) was a noted author, explorer, Glacier National Park guide, fur trader and historian of the Blackfoot Indians.

James Willard Schultz (J.W. Schultz) started writing at the age of 21, publishing articles and stories in Forest and Stream for 15 years. He did not write his first book until 1907 at age 48. The memoir: ''My Life