Start by marking “Boil (Salem's Revenge, #2)” as Want to Read:
Boil (Salem's Revenge, #2)

Boil

(Salem's Revenge #2)

Revenge. That’s all that’s left for witch hunter Rhett Carter. The magic-born have stripped everything from him—killed his friends, cursed his warlock father, shattered his future—leaving him bare and broken, but not dead. Their mistake.

When Rhett and Laney are suddenly thrust in different directions, Rhett must decide who to trust and who to kill. Backed by his trusty can
Published October 1st 2014 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about Boil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boil

Cress by Marissa MeyerCity of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareIsla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie PerkinsHeir of Fire by Sarah J. MaasThe One by Kiera Cass
Best New Releases of 2014
263 books — 249 voters
Harry Potter Series Box Set by J.K. RowlingA Discovery of Witches by Deborah HarknessThe Witches by Roald DahlThe Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine HoweWicked by Gregory Maguire
Witches
309 books — 236 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Boil (Salem's Revenge, #2)
Katie.g
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it

I was quite disappointed with the first book, enough that I didn't want to read the second. However I'd already bought it so I decided to give it another try. Best decision ever! Sometimes a series needs time to blossom and this has definitely happened in Boil. The plot is much ti
David Estes
Aug 18, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
After over a year without releasing a book, I'm ecstatic to announce the release of TWO new books, the first two books in my new Salem's Revenge series, Brew and it's sequel, Boil!

Brew (Salem BREW: http://www.amazon.com/Brew-Salems-Rev...

Here are some noteworthy quotes from early reviewers:

"The Walking Dead for teens, with ruthless witches instead of bloodthirsty zombies.” --Katie Reed, agent at Andrea Hurst & Associates

"Brew had everything I look for in a book: action, suspense, awesome characters, c
kynndra-jo
Sep 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: dystopian, fantasy
Ah, well let me start by saying that I am a HUGE fan of David Estes. My love first began with The Dweller and Country saga, and now I’m beginning on this new spectacular journey. Boil is the second installment of David’s new series, Salem’s Revenge. I was very hopeful and have been awaiting these books for quite some time. This series really does have the same vibes as The Walking Dead – but with less gore/horror and with witches instead of zombies. I really enjoyed the first book, and this was ...more
Stephanie
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Witches, warlocks and wizards – the necessary ingredients for fantasy novels but not very relevant to our day-to-day lives, right? That is what Rhett thinks until his entire world was literally turned upside-down overnight. In David Estes’s Brew, Rhett is a happy teenager on the football team with the girlfriend of his dreams. His best friend Xavier is always by his side. Finally, Rhett is finally in a nice foster home with parents who truly care for him – even if his mother is a little weird. H ...more
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookgasm
This, was effing brilliant. I absolutely LOVE this series.
More than chocolate.

Yes, it's just THAT good.
Boil picks up a long six months after Brew, with Rhett still coming to terms with the loss of his girlfriend and the deception of Mr Jackson. Still able to rely on new friends Laney, Trish and his sidekick and magical canine Rex, where the hunter is now being hunted.

If you thought Brew was brilliant, Boil will knock your socks off. We finally see Laney's point of view and the sassy young fight
Claire Taylor
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Having loved reading Brew, I couldn’t wait to start reading Boil and see where the journey was going to lead next. Far from disappointing, the action, adventure and twists were taken to another level and there is never a dull moment throughout the entire book. The need for revenge is stronger, and the emotions are well portrayed as the story unfolds. I can only imagine where this story is going to go next and can't wait to read Burn.

I received an e-copy from the author in exchange for an honest
Victoria Zigler
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing book! It's well written, with believable characters, excellent descriptions and worldbuilding, and a plot that will keep you hooked and guessing until the end!
Jenny
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites-2014
**There will be spoilers from the first book, Brew, but none for Boil**

"As my days surround me with the bitter eyes of a betrayed wolf, my nights haunt and destroy without compassion, bruising my heart and crushing my soul"--Rhett Carter

And so the sequel starts, the situation even darker for Rhett. Trying to come to terms with the fact that Beth is gone, and contemplating Xavier's actions in the whole mess. Does he still have a best friend? The only thing Rhett knows for sure is he wants REVENGE
Karen’s Library
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Estes is ON FIRE with the Salem's Revenge series. And before I start my review, can I just gush over THAT COVER!! Oh my word... Having read the book as an eARC before seeing the cover, I seriously got chills all over when I first saw it. (And still keep getting chills every time I see it...!) I have never pictured a character in my mind that turned out to be the exact same image that the author then chose for his cover. I'm in awe of your talent, David Estes! And those colors!! WOW!

So on to the
Lisa Sandberg
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
David Estes has done another fantastic job! In this sequel to Brew, he lets us into the feelings and thoughts of Laney and Trish, along with Rhett. Very well done.

Rhett, Laney and Trish continue on in a world full of witches, wizards and warlocks. Rhett is set on destroying the Necros and getting revenge. Laney only wants to protect her sister.

They all become separated. Fighting battles alone, some finding each other again. Then the true battle begins!! Who will win?

Great book! Looking forwar
Kimberly Vanderbloom
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
All I can say is wow. I loved the first book in the series and sequel takes it to a new level. I was blown away with the character and the plot. I found it so interesting that is about Salem's Revenge. It is different and usual and I love it. The world that the author built is detailed and incredible. You can easily imagine the highs and lows that each character goes through and the inner turmoil that they all feel at different times. It is hard to describe just how much I adore this series. The ...more
Tracy
This book has everything!! I really liked "Brew" (book 1), but I loved "Boil"! Especially the last chunk of the story, I hated putting it down in favor (not really) of completing my daily responsibilities as a wife/mom/author/etc/etc!!

Where to begin? Hmmm... How about... "Whoa! What a ride!" Witches, Warlocks, Necros, Pyros, Shifters, Sirens, Claires, Changelings, Slammers, Destroyers... did I miss any?? I'm sure I did! Oh yeah, duh! Resistors! Anyways, I loved learning about all these differen
Angie Lisle
Nov 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book picks up where Brew, the first book in the Salem's Revenge series, left off with one major difference - Rhett Carter is no longer alone. He's part of a team now and this is reflected in changes of character-POV with Lacey and Trish Grant, who Rhett picked up while traveling through my home state of West Virginia. West Virginia gets less face-time in this book than it did in Brew, but I love that my state is mentioned without us being depicted as a bunch of backwards hill folk.

The POV-
Morgan
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, reviewed, 2014
I LOVE this series! I read it straight through - like I needed it to live. One of the things I like about it is there was no point where I thought "Man, this is really dragging!" OR "Wait, what happened there, he breezed right past that" - It had the perfect tempo!

Something I do appreciate about David Estes stories in general is the quality female lead. In so many books the female lead is "Strong" or "hard headed" - but she also does a variety of different dumb things that you shake your head a
Ashley
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Brew was great and I liked it, but Boil was amazing! I was hooked and couldn't put it down once I got about 15% into it. The storytelling was great, the character development was excellent and it really just makes you long for more. To me, it was unpredictable and I had no idea which side was good and which side was bad. I will say I wasnt a fan of Laney at all in this book or the last. She did grow on me the last half of this book, but I kind of had to force if. I loved Rhett, Hex, Bill, and Tr ...more
Sheree Bonita
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was very good. David has an amazing ability to make characters really come to life. I grew to care about Laney more with every page. The book really started to pick up for me around 75 pages in. I think this is due to my continual growth in fondness toward Laney. I think it was just too much romance for me. I’m sure others will appreciate that aspect though. I'm just not huge on teen romance.

After the book picked up, I really couldn’t knit pick at it that much. It was truly great. May
Kerri
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Rhett, Laney, and the crew are back in this great sequel to Brew!
With the A-Team regrouping after the events of Brew, the stakes are higher than ever. In this sequel, we get a closer look into the human vs. magic war, and an even deeper look into the lives of the non-human characters. Also, can I just say: Laney's little sister is FREAKING ME OUT MAN. The plot is kicked into an even higher gear than before, and the events will have your head spinning!
An amazing sequel that delivers just as much
Keirra Bentzen
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Finally finished. Life seemed to just get in the way!
Wow. Another spectacular book. I can't wait for the next one (I can't believe we have to wait till next year Mr Estes!) I've recommended to a few friends who love post-apocalyptic fiction and they can't believe what they are reading. It's wonderful to move away from zombies and natural disaster fuelled apocalyptic books for a change.

Looking very forward to Slip! The little sneaky peak was just enough to title my fancy!
Nicole
Dec 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ok-series
Love the characters, the story is easy to follow along, the writing is done well... I have read almost all of David's books... They follow a similar flow and it is easy to catch on to and it is easy to stay engaged.... There was some good action in this book.... Some unexpected twists and turns....Overall I liked the book, not sorry I read it at all.... Except just so u know... There are 3 books in the series, I thought there were only 2
LeeAnn Miller
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Estes gets better with every book!

David Estes' writing gets better and better. This trilogy is much better than the dweller/country sagas, but I thought they were the bomb, too. Will definitely recommend the author and his work!
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Please please please hurry with book three! Love this series!
Petula
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it from page one...

I've enjoyed following the witch-hunting lives of Rhett and Laney. This book is really a different and creative take on witches, warlocks, and magical creatures. If you love books with action, mystery, magic, intrigue, war, deception... then you'll love Boil. And the other books in the series.
Dave T
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Action packed and full of twists.

This book was written in a different format than the first. Each chapter is from the viewpoint of a different character but it still flows smoothly. This was a very suspenseful book with surprising twists all the way to the end.
Donna
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rhett, Laney and Trish continue in their quest to stay alive by either avoiding or winning battles with the renegade witches. Trish exhibits significant magical ability and Laney has to admit that Trish is a witch, as were their parents.

Rhett and Laney travel to the Necros "headquarters" as Rhett continues to try to locate Xavier and Beth.

Unfortunately, I finished this in the middle of the night and started book #3 before writing a review, so am rather hazy as to details.
Melissa
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Boil

This book was intense. Kept me reading page after page. Rhett and Laney find themselves in New Washington. Their journey witch hunting just went up a notch. I thought the first book was good,but boil was even better.
Rachel Barnard
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“You can’t make yourself a hero,” I say. “You have to be born one. And sometimes the least likely heroes are the ones this world needs the most.” (Kindle Locations 4972-4973).

Rhett, after joining the side of the witch hunters, is bent on revenge. He thinks he now knows who is who and what is what in this battle between human born and magic born. There are three warring factions and Rhett is seeking out the New American Government to fight on their side for the humans. Laney is supportive until R
Redfox5
Nov 07, 2015 rated it liked it
I felt this book was much more solid than 'Brew'. The story seemed more put together and the characters seemed comfortable in their own skins. And I thought Laney was less annoying.

In this second book of the witch apocalypse Trish really comes into her own, leaving Rhett and Laney to join her witch children. Rhett, Laney & Hex head to New Washington to join the president. Thinking that they are fighting on the side of peace but they are mistaken...

Some nice battle scenes in this one. Hex is
John Zanetti
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Boil is the second book in the Salem’s Revenge series. I totally enjoyed reading Boil and the book is a solid addition to the series. As in Brew, the first book in the series, the reader isn’t left with a cliff-hanger at the end. The major plotlines are nicely tied up, giving a satisfying ending, but enough is left unsaid so that the struggle can continue in Burn, the third book in the series. All the nice things I said in my review of Brew also apply here and I’d add that, in both books, there ...more
Madam Pince
In this grisly sequel to Brew, witch-hunter Rhett Carter and his Glock-toting friend, Laney, head to a ruined Washington, D.C. after their show-down with the Reaper. As they become involved with President Washington, the former VP and only survivor of the Presidential cabinet, new truths come to light, allegiances become blurry, and neither Rhett nor Laney know who to trust. Another riveting story from an author who continues to impress with his seemingly endless creativity. Just a warning: the ...more
Jodi Woody
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopian
"Boil" is book two in a series. So far I am liking them all. Withes, warlocks, wizards, shape shifters, magical dogs, and humans, some good and some evil. This story is full of twists and turns and keeps you on the edge of your seat. Plenty of fighting, magic and more. No sexual content or swearing. I have read this book as it was written as fiction. I give it four stars, I really liked it. On to "Burn".
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 30, 2015 11:11AM
David Estes Fans ...: November 2014 Book of the Month - Boil 10 17 Nov 06, 2014 10:38PM

• Iron Garland (Harbinger #3)
  • Mirror Gate (Harbinger #2)
  • Prism Cloud (Harbinger #4)
  • First Encounter
  • The Obsolescence Trilogy: Complete Series Box Set: A Post-Apocalyptic Science Fiction Thriller
  • Tears of a Heart (Kan Savasci Cycle, #1)
  • Storm Glass (Harbinger #1)
  • Dragon Mage Academy The Complete Series: Books 1-7 Box Set
  • The Seven Kingdoms - Books 1-3 (Seven Kingdoms Box Sets)
  • The Seven Kingdoms - Books 4-7 (Seven Kingdoms Box Sets Book 2)
  • The Solar War (The Long Winter, #2)
  • The Vernal Memory (The Variant Saga, #4)
  • Faultlines
  • The Princesses (Seven Kingdoms Box Sets Book 3)
  • Broken Veil (Harbinger #5)
  • River Bodies (Northampton County, #1)
  • The Frozen Heart (The Seven Kingdoms #8)
  • The Bluebird (The Seven Kingdoms #9)
Get a FREE short story from David Estes' #1 Amazon bestselling epic fantasy series, Fatemarked, when you sign up for his mailing list: https://www.subscribepage.com/b2v6v3

David Estes has written more than 30 science fiction and fantasy books. He loves chatting with his readers, all of whom he considers to be his friends. David lives in Hawaii with his beautiful Aussie wife, Adele, his asthmatic ca

Salem's Revenge (4 books)
  • Brew (Salem's Revenge, #1)
  • Burn (Salem's Revenge, #3)
  • Salem's Revenge Complete Boxed Set

News & Interviews

“If they ever create an award for best conversationalist, let me know and I’ll apply. Until then, have a sip from my bottle of I-Don’t-Give-A-Crap and keep on walking.--Laney” 10 likes
“If you'd have told me two weeks ago that one day I'd be part of a not-so-merry band of Necros seeking to exterminate a couple of other magic-born gangs, I'd have given you directions to the strait-jacket factory.” 1 likes