Start by marking “Red Sox Rule: A Season in the Life of a Manager” as Want to Read:
Red Sox Rule: A Season in the Life of a Manager

Red Sox Rule: A Season in the Life of a Manager

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  283 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Michael Holley, bestselling author of "Patriot Reign," provides an inside look at how it all happened. With the exclusive cooperation of Terry Francona and stories from the clubhouse and the conference room, Holley reveals the private sessions and the dugout and front-office strategies that have made the Boston Red Sox a budding dynasty.

When Grady Little's job prospects we
Published March 25th 2008 by HarperEntertainment (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Red Sox Rule, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Sox Rule

Brian DiMattia
Jun 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michael Holley has long been one of my favorite sports writers. Writing in the shadows of several of the all time greats in Boston, Holley manages to cover his subjects without sounding tired of, or cynical about them.

That's why it's only appropriate that he spends this book looking at Terry "Tito" Francona, quite likely the greatest in a long line of Red Sox managers. And for more reasons than just his championship success...Francona's long been viewed as one of the most likeable people in spor
Kim
Aug 03, 2009 rated it liked it
If you love the Red Sox, you already know everything in this book, with the exception of a few Francona anecdotes. If you don't love the Red Sox, then why did you pick this up? As an aside, I heard Dick Williams speak in Cooperstown at Hall of Fame induction ceremonies two weeks ago. He was asked what three current major league managers he believed would make the Hall of Fame. He responded, "Three? I'll give you five." I was confident that Francona would be among his first two picks. Instead, he ...more
Wendy
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the writing style of Michael Holley as he covers the Boston Red Sox and their recent successes leading to their 2007 championship. This overview also focuses on the Sox manager Terry Francona and his impact on the team.

The 1st half of the book really focuses on Francona, covering his family, love of baseball, his brief career in the game and the injuries that ended his days as a player. It touches on an earlier job magaging "the" Michael Jordan in Double-A. And, naturally, the events o
Jenny
Apr 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Clubhouse insight is usually why I read baseball books, and Michael Holley seems to understand this. I loved hearing about Terry Francona's career trajectory and formative years, but I really loved hearing about his cribbage games with Dustin Pedroia and his relationship with the big dogs in the Sox clubhouse (most importantly Big Papi). Books like this are particularly fun because, since I was paying such close attention last year, I've got the framework for the stories; I know the backdrop of ...more
Mike
Jan 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: baseball, sports
Not much substance to this one. A lot of rehashing of the 2007 season. Terry Francona deserves a longer biography.

I enjoy Michael Holley on WEEI when I get the chance to read him, but his writing is a little formulaic.

I struggled with the rating - 2 stars or 3? I went with 3. It's short (200 pages), which is good in this case; I learned a few new things about Francona; and parts of the 2007 highlights were fun to relive.
Dawn
Jun 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
I would have given this 4.5 stars if it had been an option. It was really interesting "getting to know" the pre-Sox-manager Tito & see where he came from, what his thought process is & understand a little better the man we see popping bubble gum in the dugout. My only issue with this book was that the flow was a little "off." It skipped around without warning sometimes & it took a few paragraphs to realize we had changed timeframes.
Joey
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-5-stars
Holley's work was a very satisfying and personable read. Focusing on Francona's past accolades and the 2007 Championship Red Sox Team, it painted a very fun picture of his managerial prowess and just how important his interpersonal relationships influenced his coaching ideology. I enjoyed reading this book much more than Dan Shaughnessy's Francona: The Red Sox Years.
Scott
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
A nice easy entertaining read. It didn't really deal with one season like the title states. It was a brief summary of 2004 and 2007 mixed in with a short bio of Terry Francona. Enjoyable for a Red Sox fan, but probably not for everyone.
Kay
Mar 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: sports
The subject material is great [deserves 3 stars or more:], but the author jumped around way too much [which really only deserves a 1-2 star:]. As a Red Sox fan, I enjoyed reading about Terry Francona and the players so I felt I could not rate it less than 3 stars.
Amanda
May 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book took me almost a year to read, because I found it hard to get through. I didn't like the writing style; I felt like when the author was using nicknames or baseball terms it wasn't genuine, like he was just trying to sound cool.
Kevin A.
Sep 02, 2012 rated it liked it
A nice portrait of a manager who won two World Series with a team who hadn't won any in a while. If that weren't enough, Bobby Valentine and Larry Luchino have cemented his reputation in the eyes of a Red Sox fan.
Kim
May 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: other-nonfiction
Not like usual sports book. Book about what it's like to be the Terry Francona who is the manager of the Sox, from pure baseball fan geek to mild mannered seeming guy who is fierce competitor. Very readable, very interesting alternate view on some things
Danie
Jul 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Good stuff. Michael Holley is a very good writer/author. Uh, much better than he seems at some points on the radio.

Solid writer-Check
Workin' on it Radio 'Personality'-Seems to be workin' on it.
Lynne
Sep 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
So great! Could a book about the Sox be bad?
Meril
Apr 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: baseball, nonfiction, g
This is less about the 2007 season and more a short biography of Terry Francona. Francona needs a longer biography.
Brian
Sep 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is what I read instead of "beach reading"
Michael
Aug 02, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
Worst sports book I've ever read. It jumps back and forth way to much. There is no narrative and it offers little insight into Francona that the typical fan would already know.
Dylan Houle
Feb 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I think I like this the beacuse I never knew the BRS 1991 and how the coach got choosing and the history of them!
Molly
Jul 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: sports
Holley's awesome access gives him all the info. he needs to tell this tale. Learned a lot about Terry's journey and how he turned tough situations into lessons for the future.
Kriley1227
Feb 13, 2009 rated it liked it
well written account of Red Sox story
Dana Brunett
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Interesting insight in the mind of an intelligent baseball mind.
Dottie
Nov 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any Red Sox fan
For any Red Sox fan that loves Tito (Terry Francona) I have a major crush on him!!
Steve
Dec 03, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sports
This was not quite a book about the 2007 REd Sox or a book about Terry Francona, the team manager. It seemed very quickly put together and added very little insight on a good year for the Red Sox.
Thom
Mar 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
An excellent book. Tells the story of Terry Francona in vignettes, jumping between his playing era and managing era.
Melgogs
Feb 23, 2009 rated it liked it
This book was just ok. It jumped around alot in different times throughout Tito's life and at times I couldnt keep up.
Cnelson
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not as good as Patriot Reign, but an ok read.
Rob Clarkin
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • One Day at Fenway: A Day in the Life of Baseball in America
  • Born to Play: My Life In the Game
  • Deep Drive: A Long Journey to Finding the Champion Within
  • Mind Game: How the Boston Red Sox Got Smart, Won a World Series, and Created a New Blueprint for Winning
  • Knuckler: My Life with Baseball's Most Confounding Pitch
  • Big Papi: My Story of Big Dreams and Big Hits
  • Feeding the Monster: How Money, Smarts, and Nerve Took a Team to the Top
  • Watching Baseball, updated & revised: Discovering the Game within the Game
  • The Long Ball: The Summer of '75 -- Spaceman, Catfish, Charlie Hustle, and the Greatest World Series Ever Played
  • Faithful: Two Diehard Boston Red Sox Fans Chronicle the Historic 2004 Season
  • The Wrong Stuff
  • The Last Best League: One Summer, One Season, One Dream
  • Senior Year: A Father, A Son, and High School Baseball
  • Game Six: Cincinnati, Boston, and the 1975 World Series: The Triumph of America's Pastime
  • Never Give Up: My Stroke, My Recovery & My Return to the NFL
  • Bottom of the 33rd: Hope, Redemption, and Baseball's Longest Game
  • Now I Can Die in Peace: How ESPN's Sports Guy Found Salvation, with a Little Help from Nomar, Pedro, Shawshank and the 2004
  • The Rocket That Fell to Earth: Roger Clemens and the Rage for Baseball Immortality

Nonfiction Deals

• Just Another Kid
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Second World War
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Super Immunity: The Essential Nutrition Guide for Boosting Your Body's Defenses to Live Longer, Stronger, and Disease Free
    $8.73 $1.99
  • Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99