Start by marking “The Winthrop Woman” as Want to Read:
The Winthrop Woman

The Winthrop Woman

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  4,340 Ratings  ·  333 Reviews
First published in 1958 and set in the early 17th century, this bestselling novel—and follow-up to Katherine—follows Elizabeth Winthrop, a courageous Puritan woman who finds herself at odds with her heritage and surroundings. A real historical figure, Elizabeth married into the family of Governor John Winthrop of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. In those times of hardship, fa ...more
Paperback, New Impression edition, 573 pages
Published January 1st 1988 by Coronet Books (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about The Winthrop Woman, please sign up.

Nancy There was no reference to such a W on Elizabeth's underwear. Could your boss be thinking of the Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne?

Carol ☀ Walking in Sunshine
I have given 3.5★ . Just can't quite push my rating up to 4.

While I loved Katherine which is supposed to be Seton's best work, I am starting to think that in most of her books, Seton lacks the ability to make me care about her characters. & Seton shares the heavy foreboding style of Jean Plaidy where you start to wonder if all these real life characters had the gift of second sight!

The most interesting parts of the story were Elizabeth's early life in England and right at the end with Elizab
Misfit
What an incredible story of an amazing woman. Elizabeth Fones, married into the Winthrop family, the leader of that being John Winthrop who took his family to New England to govern the Massachusetts Bay Colony. Elizabeth was a rare woman indeed, going on to being one of the few women of her times to be a large landholder, married three times and finally finding great happiness and love in the last one to Will Hallet.

This book has it all -- passion, madness, bigotry, ignorant superstitions and r
Chrissie
Finally, I have chugged through Winthrop Woman. It is Laura Ingalls Wilder’s The Little House Collection, but for adults. I did like these books, but then I was a kid! Indians and witches and cute, super sweet romance, romance and more romance. The romance is so clean it whistles. Forget a spark of passion. Yes, the history is there, and it is all accurate, but it is too cute, too predictable, too romantic, and too moralistic. The writing is accurate, but not beautiful and not intriguing. Maybe ...more
Nov 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Misfit, Wanda
This is the story of Elizabeth Fones with a historical background of the Massachusetts Bay Colony.

Elizabeth was a nice of John Winthrop and she marries Harry Winthrop, her first cousin.

When the Winthrop family decides to move the New World, they become founding members of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, situated around the present-day cities of Salem and Boston.

The population of this colony was governed by the Puritanism and John Winthrop is elected as the Governor of this colony.

According to Wiki
Carol Storm
Jul 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sleazier, sexier, version of THE WITCH OF BLACKBIRD POND.

Elizbeth is sexy. Elizabeth likes luxury, fancy clothes, and handsome men. Elizabeth is not a perfect fit for Puritan New England, but thanks to several lucky marriages and husbands who all seem to conveniently die at the right moment, she ends up a woman of substance . . . respected, admired, and tolerated in spite of her open defiance of sober Puritan customs.

Typical moment . . . the whole colony is fasting, going without food for a
Judy
Mar 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
The #8 top bestseller of 1958 was another door stopper but also an excellent piece of historical fiction. It made my list of Best Books Read in 2010. Elizabeth Fones, the woman of the title, was the niece of John Winthrop who became the first governor of Massachusetts in 1630. Elizabeth married her cousin Henry, one of John Winthrop's many sons, although she was really in love with John Jr. All of these characters actually existed and I saw that the plots of romance novels are truly drawn from ...more
Mela
It is a masterpiece of genre (a historical fiction). Anya Seton was a master. I am speechless. I couldn't sleep last night I just had to read it to the end. Even now, by noon, I am enchanted.
On the cover of my copy is written:

"Perhaps the greatest gifts Anya Seton brings to her historical novels are the zest of her narrative, the life she breathes into the most insignificant characters, and the atmosphere of the era she evokes around them."

I couldn't agree more.

Seton was a great story teller and
Debbie Zapata
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: douglas
My mother recommended this book to me so I confess I was reluctant from the beginning since our reading tastes seldom match. But I quickly became caught up in Elizabeth's story and the way it was told. As much as the book is about one woman's life, it is also about the beginnings of a country's life. I learned details about the Puritans that were never mentioned in my school history classes so many years ago. They left England in search of religious freedom was pretty much all I remember: turns ...more
Donna
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I did the audio and the narrator did an amazing job. The different accents were nicely done. The audio was long....27 hours, but not once did I do the page math. This rolled along at an even pace. I was pulled in from the beginning.

This book covers the life of a woman, Elizabeth (Bess) Winthrop. She was a Puritan and left England with her family to strike out a new beginning in the Colonies of America in the 1600's. The historical fiction was nicely done. The research was wov
Cphe
The story of Elizabeth Winthrop from her early beginnings through to her later life. A well written historical saga and rich in historical detail of the times depicted. I couldn't say that this is the best book I've ever read by Anya Seton but it was still an enjoyable and easy read.
Book Review 2 29 May 09, 2012 09:49PM
  • Wintercombe (Wintercombe, #1)
  • Celia Garth
  • Royal Harlot
  • Royal Sisters: The Story of the Daughters of James II
  • The Perfect Royal Mistress
  • Dawn's Early Light (Williamsburg #1)
  • Eleanor the Queen
  • Rebel Puritan: A Scandalous Life
  • Shadowbrook
  • Within the Fetterlock
  • A Catch of Consequence (Makepeace Hedley)
  • Now Face to Face (Tamworth Saga, #3)
  • I Am the Chosen King (Saxon #1)
  • The Falcons of Montabard
  • Forever Amber
  • Lady of the Butterflies
  • The Lady's Slipper
Anya Seton (January 23, 1904 (although the year is often misstated to be 1906 or 1916) - November 8, 1990) was the pen name of the American author of historical romances, Ann Seton.

Ann Seton was born in New York, New York, and died in Old Greenwich, Connecticut. She was the daughter of English-born naturalist and pioneer of the Boy Scouts of America, Ernest Thompson Seton and Grace Gallatin Seton-
More about Anya Seton...
“A woman with opinions had better develop a thick skin and a loud voice.” 130 likes
“Nay, it's not the Devil been leading her astray. It's books! That girl has been nothing but trouble ever since she learned how to read.” 74 likes