Start by marking “Reckoning (The Breach #1)” as Want to Read:
Reckoning (The Breach #1)

Reckoning (The Breach #1)

After discovering suppressed psychic ability, Lexia struggles to keep her family safe, learning more than she bargained for along the way.

As demons and wraiths break their way through to the human world, she does her best to stay in control - unaware that the supernatural war dates back to before she was born.
Published August 2014 by Amazon Digital Services (first published May 19th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Reckoning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reckoning

Start your review of Reckoning (The Breach #1)
Greg at 2 Book Lovers Reviews
This is the opening story in The Breach Series. In Reckoning we are introduced to the newly orphaned Lexia, she is on her way to live with family that she has never even met before. Aunt Karen, along with Lexia’s cousins, Adwin and Saxon, help Lexia discover powers she never knew she had and grow into a powerful woman.

Reckoning is a story filled with the supernatural, demons, psychics, reapers and much more; behind all of this is a fantastic forbidden love story. The characters were very well de
Ana
Oct 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Most fantasy fans, especially teens
Shelves: r4r, fantasy
Positives:

- It's a surprisingly fast paced novel, considering there is constantly plenty of information on what the reader needs to know. How the author managed to do that without long, thorough descriptions is beyond me. The fact is it didn't take many words to make me visualize the surroundings where the actions took place.

- On that note, I loved the narrative style. There were a few surprises in it that peaked my interest instead of annoying me. Little things like the memories invading cu
Melissa Veracruz
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
**I was given this book for free by the author in exchange for an honest review.**

3.5 stars rounded up

The Reckoning, book one of The Breach Trilogy by Katheryn Avila, is the story of Lexia Graham who has been shielded from a secret her entire life. That is, until her parents die and she's brought to live with her aunt and cousins. She has powers, both psychic and telekinetic. But that's not the only secret her family's been hiding. Lexia is only half human. Her parents aren't her parents, she ha
Stephanie Barnes
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Reckoning is a very well written story. Lexia’s first person view point makes the story an engaging read as Lexia’s actions and reactions are convincing. There were never any moments where I frustratingly thought “Why are you doing that Lexia?!”, “What? Why?” or the common *facepalm* which can be the norm with some female protagonists. Lexia, on the other hand, was a character I genuinely liked. I don’t know if it is because I am a female reader so I can be overly critical or if it is because fe ...more
S.L. Buckley
Sep 23, 2016 rated it liked it
A refreshing twist away from vampires, angels, and shape shifters. The plot is creative and compelling. Saxton is my favorite but I always love a little badboy in my reading. I have two hang ups, the sentences are staccato instead of flowing and at times I found myself editing them in my head. The other was the start and stop which also felt jerky, like a kid learning to drive for the first time. It allows for a faster pace but the transitions felt forced. Still a very well planned and executed ...more
Jessie
This story is complex, well written, and simply amazing! The author did an outstanding job keeping the reader constantly wondering what will happen next. The story at times was intense and always changing to where it was difficult to figure out where the author was taking you. There were so many twists in the plot that was unexpected! The ending caught me completely off guard! There aren't to many authors who take the risk and is actually able to pull off an ending like Katheryn Avila did! I can ...more
Robert Defrank
Oct 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Reviewed for the blog, Writocracy

Lexia is orphaned and must live with her eccentric aunt and her odd twin boys. Odd phenomena soon manifests and Lexia is told hers is a family of psychics with the ability to peer into the unseen worlds beyond. She and her two cousins train to control their odd gifts, and when her aunt dies, Lexia is named guardian of the twins.

Fast forward some years. Lexia is a young journalist coping with the hassles of raising two teenage boys, further complicated by their my
Floryie
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
*I received a free copy from the author for an honest review*

I just saw the older book cover before starting the review and I will say wholeheartedly that the older one doesn't do the book any justice while the new one kind of fits it with the scythe symbol and all but the hair over the face creeps me out.

I like books which start off with a prologue because it just makes more sense with the setting and the characters and this book is no exception. By the end of the prologue, I was excited to kno
Eva Vanrell
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, paranormal
Katheryn J. Avila’s Reckoning, book one of The Breach Trilogy, tells the story of Lexia Graham, a strong willed and determined heroine whose life is turned upside down when her aunt dies and all of the family skeletons come tumbling out of the closet. An orphan herself, she must now protect her orphaned nephews while they are all drawn, unwittingly, into a supernatural world that becomes its own kind of macabre inheritance.

Reckoning was a fun, dark and engaging read. For me, it felt like slippi
Wendy Strain
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, dark
Kathryn Avila presents a deliciously dark world perfect for starting the month of October. It starts a little dark but becomes bleaker as the pages turn. The story stays consistent with its mythology throughout, introducing ideas I hadn’t really considered before which is always fun, and adds a few twists and turns as it goes. While I might have a slight personality clash with its protagonist, she is still a highly likeable character and one I felt great respect for in the end. A true dark fanta ...more
Catherine
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The plot moves quickly and pulls the reader in from the very beginning. The action drives the story and builds strength in the characters. The novel has supernatural elements that move beyond storytelling to create universal themes of good and evil.
Katheryn Avila
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: wrote
Yes, I wrote this one. And now that I'm finally seriously working on its sequel, it was time I read it from start to finish - something I haven't done in years.

It was hard to separate myself from my own work, but honestly this wasn't as terrible a re-read as I thought it'd be. I was ready to do all sorts of cringing, but my writing holds up for the most part. This book is a prime example of 'write what you want to read' and I'm glad I finally bit the bullet and read it myself.

Here's to getting W
T.S.
Oct 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviews
* * * I give Reckoning by Katheryn J Avila 3 stars! I was given an advanced reader copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

Phew! I almost missed out on this enjoyable read. I loved the story after Chapter 2, but it took me that long to get into it. The truth is that if I hadn’t agreed to review it, I probably would’ve stopped reading at the start of Chapter 1 and that would’ve been a shame. It would be a 4-star read for me if it hadn’t been for the awkward start.

What I Liked:
• I enjoy
Stacy Overby
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Here’s my disclaimer: I got a copy of this book for free in exchange for an honest review. Cool. Now that’s done, on to the actual review.

Reckoning by Katheryn J. Avila is a story about Lexia, a young woman who loses most of her family and ends up in charge of her younger twin cousins, Saxon and Adwin, after their mother dies. Then this strange guy shows up and things go downhill from there. Reapers, demons, angels, and wraiths abound in this fast paced urban fantasy adventure.

I loved the story
Sweetpea
Apr 05, 2015
Morgan Hadley
Apr 10, 2015
Katheryn is a programmer by day, writer by night. A lover of all things supernatural and helpless romantic at heart, she spends most of her writing time coming up with stories that incorporate at least one of the two. So far, she’s only published one book and a few short stories, but she intends to publish more work in the future. She lives with her husband, Eric, and their furbaby, Ada.

Check out

News & Interviews

“I shouldn’t even exist. Neither should they. What’s the difference between destroying me and destroying them?” - Lexia Graham” 1 likes