Start by marking “Buddies” as Want to Read:
Buddies

Buddies (The Buddies Cycle #2)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  278 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
"What unites us, all of us, surely is brotherhood, a sense that our friendships are historic, designed to hold Stonewall together," muses on character in Ethan Mordden's Buddies. This need for friendship, for nonerotic affection, for buddies, shines forth as an American obsession from Moby-Dick through Of Mice and Men to The Sting. And American gay life has built upon and
Published June 15th 1986 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Buddies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buddies

Jim
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this book years ago when I was just coming out - mostly to myself -as a gay man and I had forgotten just how much I enjoy Ethan Mordden. We are reading this for the book group I'm in and I'm looking forward to discussing it tonight with a group of other gay men my age. I remember reading this when I was trying to figure out "how to be" gay. :-) One of Mordden's characters has a line in this book where he says that we are born homosexual, but need to learn to be gay. I'm not into gay eliti ...more
Noel
Oct 08, 2007 rated it really liked it
QUOTE that embodies the THEME of this book: "Sometimes [gay men] think they seek someone better than they are; sometimes I think no, they seek themselves. And sometimes the two searches are one. This is what makes our times interesting."
George Ilsley
Apr 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This volume is probably the best of the series.
Jon O
Nov 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay, humor
I have to appreciate Mordden's contribution to gay literary. Just have to. I am not someone who picks up works by authors of his level. Difficult to enjoy. Although I got his books months ago, I did not dare to start, until recently.

I admit I have to read the lines twice to be able to absorb what he was sharing. The first chapter itself was good. I laughed. Great humor. However, as I went into more and more chapters, reading twice was no longer tolerable. I began to count pages before the book w
Kevin Fitzsimmons
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
A truly beautiful book. Pieced together by different essays and stories. Mordden has a sharp wit and a gift for clear observation. The stand out chapter for me was about gay men's love of the theater. Mordden is a noted theater critic and historian, and this shows in the story of how one man grows up to love the Broadway musical and the ways in which musicals inform his view of the world. Sadly, it feels like so much of the world Mordden wrote about no longer exists; but, it is a pleasure to spe ...more
Melissa
I haven't read this book since it first came out in my early bookstore days but I read it a few times back then. I think I finally sold it at a yard-sale in '92. This book has some genuinely laugh-out-loud, read-aloud-to-a-friend (in my case my husband) moments. Particularly those involving the author's large family of brothers.
Robertomendez47
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
Favorite quote... {book is full of little treasures like this one}
The culture is here and you are among us. Or no, that was years ago, and the culture has since expanded, broken into factions - political, professional, sexual, intellectual, racial. It is no longer a question, sheerly, of identity, as it was when I was young: of learning you were among us, that we had an us to be among.
Haldoor42
Feb 07, 2013 rated it liked it
An interesting study of the people one man meets on his journey through gay New York. A little high-brow for me, but some fascinating characters and interesting stories told along the way. Semi-autobiographical.
Jorg
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
it's a nice book. most of the stories are very complex. some of them are really good and great fun to read, but others are just boring. It's a combination of nice fiction and cultural science and that's not my thing.
Robert Confiant
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The best of the buddy series (in my opinion).
Larry
Nov 21, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
I really liked this book even better than the first.It was a nice thing to revisit the charecters from Ive a Feeling Were Not in Kansas Anymore. I am glad that Bobby introduced us to these people. I am now looking forward to the other two books.
Ken Cook
Nov 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Reading this as a historic look back to gay New York City (primarily Manhattan), these autobiographical essays present an interesting perspective on a subset of young men as the AIDS crisis developed.
James
Jul 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt
I became completely enthralled. Love the characters, dialogue, and especially the complex relationships. Although I grew up in a Midwestern city, the book speaks to my experiences of coming out and developing my own chosen family of friends.
Robert
Jan 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
First read in 1987.
Daniel Krolik
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A pitch perfect exploration of the relationships between gay men, both romantic and platonic. Beautifully honest and biting, full of empathy, and necessary reading.
Rambling Reader
Jan 11, 2012
Ron Mohring
Nov 24, 2008
Lorena Medius
rated it did not like it
Apr 19, 2013
  • Kept Boy
  • Nocturnes for the King of Naples
  • American Studies
  • Arkansas: Three Novellas
  • On the Other Hand, Death (Donald Strachey #2)
  • The Salt Point
  • He's The One
  • The Fancy Dancer
  • A Visitation of Spirits
  • Ready to Catch Him Should He Fall
  • The Lure
  • Object of My Affection
  • Pulp Friction: Uncovering the Golden Age of Gay Male Pulps

The Buddies Cycle (5 books)
  • I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore