Start by marking “Tru Detective” as Want to Read:
Tru Detective

Tru Detective

Truman's parents are out of town, and he has made plans with his girlfriend, Natalia. When she doesn't show up, he is angry. But when he finds out she has been murdered, Truman becomes the prime suspect. With no alibi, he must try to find the truth behind his girlfriend's violent death. But the more he digs, the more he realizes he doesn't really know who Natalia was, and ...more
Published March 1st 2015 by Orca Book Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Tru Detective, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tru Detective

Start your review of Tru Detective
Barbara
While his parents are away, Truman has plans for a private dinner with his girlfriend Natasha. But when she doesn't show up, he gets drunk, and finds himself the chief suspect in her murder. With help from his very patient friend, Sticky, he sets out to find out the reason for her death. The graphic novel has some strengths, but sometimes the storyline seems pretty convoluted, and the villains too one dimensional. Readers will probably not be all that surprised to learn about Natasha's secrets, ...more
Natasha
Interesting in the fact the issue driving the action (view spoiler)is not a topic dealt with with any frequency at all in YA lit or graphic novels, but it's more of a fine, functional book than outstanding. The black and white illustrations give it a noir-ish feel despite the modern setting, and they also help blunt some of the impact of the violence and death.

As an adult reader it seemed very unrealistic with Truman's parent(s?) being away for a significant
Page
Feb 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
Meh... This was a quick read for me. T enjoyed it for the most—but that ending tho. killed it for me. Unbelieveable is what I am saying. Not the entire circumstance but when all players are revealed and what goes down in the club. couldn't believe so many got out unscathed and the action was kinda hard to follow. Also his actions made Tru go from a teen dectetive to a grizzled professional too quick for me to but in to it. And... i am not sure I caught "why" of it all... ...more
Amanda
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was okay but not one of my favorites. It had an interesting premise and some edge of your seats moments, up there were times when I had a hard time following the story panels. I like that the mystery brought human trafficking which is a very current issue. I do feel though that many of the things that happened were far-fetched.
Senator
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
... yikes. This comic revolves around a good mystery, but unfortunately the male lead is rich, white, and basically an asshole. Yes he's trying to unravel his girlfriend's murder, but WOAH. He is a downright dick. Meanwhile his parents are conveniently out of town and he only is shown "telling" his mother over the phone, "oh.. nothing that can't wait until you get back."

Points to the graphics being pretty good, but honestly this should be a hard pass for other readers.
Zach Koenig
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
After the first 5-6 pages of this graphic novel, it looks to be perfectly set up as a great mystery. Teenaged Tru is awaiting a date with his girlfriend…who never shows. Tru becomes angry and has a bit too much to drink, tearing apart his apartment in his drunken frustrations. The next morning, two detectives turn up on his doorstep and inform him that his girlfriend has been found murdered…and he is the prime suspect.

Simply put, the first half of this graphic mystery is where the story really
Frank
Sep 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Not exactly a masterwork of noir...but engaging enough, and really, one of the reasons I like graphic novels is that I can overlook many weaknesses in story and dialogue if the experience is a mere hour, rather than 8 or 9.

Simple art worked, though it got hard to follow when the main character was trying to give the cops the slip.
Toastkat
Jan 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Good, but not memorable. Interesting, but not gripping. Suspenseful, but not thrilling. "Tru Detective" is one of those graphic novels and stories that meets the minimum requirements of good storytelling. It connects the dots in a neat checklist, but it lacks a heart and soul that most graphic novels have. The scenarios and twists I was imagining were far more interesting than the real twists and turns that happen in the novel. I feel, somehow, this would have been a little bit better in written ...more
Cee
Nov 03, 2015 rated it liked it
A classic detective-style mystery with Truman, a 17 year old boy as the sleuth. When Tru's girlfriend misses their date and ends up dead, Tru is the main suspect. The plot and story are very believable; events happen rapidly and the suspense rises gradually to the climactic ending. The graphic novel format would encourage reluctant readers and all readers will feel like they have watched an episode of CSI.
Michael
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good read. I kind of saw the ending coming, but it was still really good. :) The art was nice, even though I can't stand black and white graphic novels. The storyline was pretty good. all around good. Only reason I'm giving 4/5 is because the ending was predictable. but i still recommend.
Anne
Kristin
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Rich white boy has a fight with his girlfriend right before she's murdered. The police are the only ones who find this suspicious. Everybody else hands him physical evidence when he asks because he's a rich white boy in love, and those dudes never kill their girlfriends.
Fernando Marin
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Natasha is dead and the police is trying to find out who did it. They look for Tru her boyfriend. Mean while Tru is trying to find evidence to prove that he is not guilty. He will have so much trouble finding the evidence. It has mystery things that he didn't even know. Really interesting.
Golden Secondary School
With black and white illustrations and easy to understand dialogue, Tru Detective is a crime story. Teenage protagonist, Truman, is accused of killing his girlfriend, and begins a quest to find the actual murderer.

Recommended for all GSS students.
Rebecca Plaza
Murder investigation told graphically. Will interest some readers with the art and boy investigating the loss of his girlfriend.
Brooke
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really did enjoyed this one, but I thought the story line was too predictable. Also, towards the end the main character seemed to get too overconfident in his actions, in my opinion.
Ampersand Inc.
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: saffron-s-reads
Very compelling story with amazing art; a real page turner
Danielle
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: canadian-2016
This was a quick and interesting read. Great illustrations. I think it would be appealing to our Willow readers.
zackxdig
May 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Rebecca
Jul 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
The art work was good, but the story didn't really interest me. Slow and far-fetched. Senior High School students and Adults.
Reagan
Dec 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
Jeffrey
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another compelling mystery by our reigning queen - McClintock creates stories that are fast-pasted thrillers that also have really great teen characters!
Josh
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Really just mediocre.
Selenia
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Great for mystery fans and fans of April Henry's books and the Nearly series by Elle Cosimano.
Cecile Sune

• The Stranger Inside
  • The Wendy Project
  • Scarlett Hart: Monster Hunter
  • Pursuit
  • Spill Zone (Spill Zone, #1)
  • The Broken Vow (Spill Zone, #2)
  • The Chestnut Man
  • Teen Titans: Raven
  • The Nanny
  • Never Look Back
  • The Plain Janes (Janes, #1)
  • The Divided Earth (The Nameless City, #3)
  • The Stone Heart (The Nameless City, #2)
  • Gotham Academy, Vol. 1: Welcome to Gotham Academy
  • East of West, Vol. 4: Who Wants War?
Norah McClintock’s fascinating mysteries are hard to put down. Her Chloe & Levesque series, Mike & Riel series, and Robyn Hunter series, all published by Scholastic Canada, have been popular with readers in many countries. Norah has also written several crime novels for reluctant readers in the Orca Soundings series from Orca Book Publishers,

Norah is a five-time winner of the Crime